Transfers (merged threads) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GamecockCentral.com - WBB: What's going on?

This will fill you in on what is going on. It is a pretty accurate read. She may add one or two transfers for security in case of unexpected injuries, but this is a part of returning the team to her expected level of play to be successful.
I wouldn't let a freshman make me transfer if I'm a veteran. Freshman have a tough time adjusting to a system. Boston was the only one I could see coming in and outright taking a spot. Are you related to Ty Harris?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Whether Westbrook is considering UConn and whether UConn is considering Westbrook are two different things. To me Westbrook is a highly gifted player with good court vision, athleticism, speed and size. That kid has far more in her than she has shown at Volland. Of course she is considering UConn, and she knows that she would be able to fit in well under Geno. She's been tossed under a system where offense was a systematic afterthought, and it failed her miserably. At this point she has to crave structure to her game in order to take her to the next level, and she knows Geno's knowledge of how to run an offense system would take her there. Also, with Ionescu returning to Oregon that puts a bit of a damper on her desire to return home, although I still think that's her #1 choice. But I think her over involved family is just too much for Geno. No matter how many assurances she would get from them about non interference and from Westbrook about keeping coaching issues in house and how she speaks to the media, Geno would see past as prologue and pass on the idea.

Reaction Score
Sense a little bit of inflation in the height department here. She was listed at 6'0" coming out of HS in 2015. Last year the Murray State roster listed her at 6'1". Good numbers for Murray State just think there may be better and taller players in the portal available to UCONN e.g., 6'5" Elizabeth Dixon.
If she's one of those frontcourt players that have the rebounding desire (i.e. Charles Barkley), then 6' or 6'1 at the college level is plenty tall enough for her to play PF up in Storrs CT... Lord knows we need another body that can crash the boards....

Reaction Score

This will fill you in on what is going on. It is a pretty accurate read. She may add one or two transfers for security in case of unexpected injuries, but this is a part of returning the team to her expected level of play to be successful.
Thanks for attaching. One of the best written, balanced assessments of South Carolina or any team I have read.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well Upper Carolina has 4 transfers.... and Lower Carolina has 4 transfers as well........ perhaps they can just do a swap :eek::p;):):rolleyes::D:cool:

Lemme stop before I look on twitter and find out of mass transfers outta Duke or High Point :oops:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As long as Ayanna doesn't transfer, I consider this a successful offseason.
Ayanna would work very nicely at UCONN but I already know that you know my thoughts on this matter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I had major heart burn with this article and wrote an email to Chris Wellbaum expressing my heartburn. My issue is specifically in this sentence from the article: "By the end of the season, Destanni Henderson was playing about as well as Cooper, and then you add another point guard in Zia Cooke, who might be better than all the others."
Not only will Tyasha Harris continue to be the best PG on the South Carolina roster she will be one of the best PGs in the country next season. Freshmen Zia Cooke will be a work in progress. Freshmen Tyasha Harris was the starting PG of a National Championship team. How quickly they forget!

Reaction Score
If she's one of those frontcourt players that have the rebounding desire (i.e. Charles Barkley), then 6' or 6'1 at the college level is plenty tall enough for her to play PF up in Storrs CT... Lord knows we need another body that can crash the boards....

She’s definitely on the smaller side to be a post player, I agree with Coco on this one, I would love to see Ayanna at UConn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

"The attrition rate at South Carolina is no higher than anywhere else, in fact it is pretty low." IS a complete falsehood. Reviewing the last 5 years of recruits (4,0,4,4,3) shows SC has had 8 of these recruits transfer (none of the 3 from 2018 have left, yet) and Cooper, transferred in and out for a total of 9. So being kind would be 9 out of 16 (15+Cooper) or 9 of 13 if we skip the freshman class this past year. So 56% (or 69%) is very high. The 9 out were-'14 White, Duckett; '15- 0; '16 Bradshaw, Patrick, Herbert-Harrington; '17 Jackson, Williams, Troup and in from Tenn-Cooper. This article was written by an AD shill.

Reaction Score

Cooper led the Gamecocks in scoring at 11.9 points per game, but it’s a misleading stat. She built up the average largely against weaker non-conference competition, and she had 10 games with five or fewer points.

Well it not accurate to say she built up the average vs. weaker competition. Actually the reverse is true, irrespective of what criteria you use.

1555064111151.png

You can see the stats in the 2018-19 Conference SEC Google spreadsheet I created.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know somewhere in this thread the name Sidney Cooks has been mentioned. The 6’4” MSU forward was #5 in Hoopgurlz 2017 Class and is listed in the transfer portal. I was very impressed with her as a freshman against the Huskies in East Lansing. Cooks didn’t have much of a sophomore leap this year. I’m not really sure why. Cooks is a player I would hope that UConn evaluates as a potential transfer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know somewhere in this thread the name Sidney Cooks has been mentioned. The 6’4” MSU forward was #5 in Hoopgurlz 2017 Class and is listed in the transfer portal. I was very impressed with her as a freshman against the Huskies in East Lansing. Cooks didn’t have much of a sophomore leap this year. I’m not really sure why. Cooks is a player I would hope that UConn evaluates as a potential transfer.
Sophomore leap never happened because she was battling injuries- See @Dillon77 post below. I agree with you Cooks or Elizabeth Dixon from GT are the two players I hope UCONN evaluates.

I know she was battling some leg issues this season, which hindered her, but -- as Orangutan pointed out -- had a solid first two rounds in the NCAA's against Central Michigan (21 points, 5 rebounds) and Notre Dame (17 points, 12 rebounds).
In that game, I saw a player hitting jumpers out to the elbow and making some assertive, deft inside moves while rebounding well against ND's posts. If there's a "mutual interest," I'd hope MM and Niele Ivey get her down to the Bend in a hurry.
Interestingly enough, I reread her commitment story and she said it came down to Michigan and Michigan State, but that she was wondering if she should leave the state of Wisconsin. If she still wants to head back to cheese land, there are two other schools with ND connections that I'm sure would love to talk to her: Marquette, with newly named coach Megan Duffy; and, Jonathan Tsipis at Wisconsin.

Still not completely healthy, Sidney Cooks finding ways to give Michigan State women boost

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Sophomore leap never happened because she was battling injuries- See @Dillon77 post below. I agree with you Cooks or Elizabeth Dixon from GT are the two players I hope UCONN evaluates.

With both you and Oldude on Cooks and Dixon, primarily the former, in terms of the Irish. Why? The intra-conference rules of the ACC are stringent (sit out a year + one year of eligibility). Understand the intent from an administrative standpoint, but sure does seem draconian to a player. That said, Dixon is probably a no-go for the Irish (and vice versa for Dixon).

As Coco noted, Cooks and the Irish had some contact with each other early on. Hopefully, there was some degree of interest. Gosh knows. MM and post coach Carol Owens had a front-row seat to see Cooks score 17 and haul down 12 rebounds against the Irish in the 2nd round NCAA game this year.
She's also a fan of her home state, Wisconsin, so expect Jonathan Tsipis of Wisconsin and newly-hired Megan Duffy of Marquette to be on the phone.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With both you and Oldude on Cooks and Dixon, primarily the former, in terms of the Irish. Why?
I'm looking at that PF spot from a UCONN perspective from a couple of angles.
1) I don't want Megan Walker playing the PF position full time she a good rebounder but I think UCONN will need her to do damage from the wing.
2) We need size at the position minimum 6'2"- (6'4" would be outstanding) to take some of the rebounding pressure off ONO.
3) You need scoring and minutes from that position in the range of 10-12 PPG and 5-7 RPG and 25-30 MPG.

My transfers wish list for this position would be.
Natasha Mack from JUCO AA-might as well call that what it is, it's my pipe dream.
Ayanna Mitchel from LSU - if she decides to graduate transfer from LSU.
Elizabeth Dixon- 6'4" With all the "abuse" documented at GT she has a good shot at being immediate eligible.
Eterniti Willock - 6'4" formerly of Kansas State now JUCO.
Sidney Cooks- last on the list because I don't expect she can help UCONN next season.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I looking at that PF spot from a UCONN perspective from a couple of angles.
1) I don't want Megan Walker playing the PF position full time she a good rebounder but I think UCONN will need her to do damage from the wing.
2) We need size at the position minimum 6'2"- (6'4" would be outstanding) to take some of the rebounding pressure off ONO.
3) You need scoring and minutes from that position in the range of 10-12 PPG and 5-7 RPG and 25-30 MPG.

Natasha Mack from JUCO AA-might as well call that what it is, it's my pipe dream.
Elizabeth Dixon- 6'4" With all the "abuse" documented at GT she has a good shot at being immediate eligible.
Sidney Cooks- last on the list because I don't expect she can help UCONN next season.

Good list...Geno and Chris should be discussing "mutual interest" with Ms. Dixon, in my very humble opinion. ;)

My McGraw's Bench colleague, MPG, suggested a bit of an under-the-radar pick:
- Lydia Rivers, a 6'2" forward from Radford, who averaged 12.2 points and 10.3 rebounds this year. She scored 11 points and had 8 rebounds in an opening-round loss to Maryland in this year's NCAAs. She's a redshirt junior who is graduating so she'd be eligible immediately. I saw she's from North Carolina. Maybe NC State, since forward DD Rogers is graduating from the Wolfpack?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

No one should need convincing of your statement. If they do, then the response is Napheesa Collier. At 6'1" she amassed 2,401 points (3th highest) and 1,219 rebounds (4th highest). At 6'1" not only can you play PF you can be one of the all-time greats.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Willock was dismissed from the KState team for numerous rules violations. I doubt she’s an option.
Yea underage drinking and another unspecified violation of team rules got her the boot at Kansas State.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one should need convincing of your statement. If they do, then the response is Napheesa Collier. At 6'1" she amassed 2,401 points (3th highest) and 1,219 rebounds (4th highest). At 6'1" not only can you play PF you can be one of the all-time greats.
Indeed.. but I'm taking it even farther back... like as in the Famed '95 National Championship team that went undefeated (1st of the many we now have)... A young lady by the name of Jamelle Elliott was our PF back then.. She was 6'... Didn't have the long arms Collier has either...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Uhm... Napheesa collier is 6'2" with long arms per the "official" UCONN website so I'm going with that.
Regardless of what size she is if you are going to give me a person of Napheesa or Gabby ability I'll take her. Otherwise, return to sender!
Napheesa Collier - Women's Basketball - University of Connecticut Athletics

Reaction Score

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I looking at that PF spot from a UCONN perspective from a couple of angles.

From your mouth to the basketball God's ears. My real problem with Meg at point forward is that it plays to her weaknesses. She's not a particularly good ball handler, her hands are average at best, and she's a fair passer. Not to mention her size would give her problems at the high post position. We've yet to see how well she moves without the ball. A good point forward needs to bring the ball up, set the offense, make the good pass, move well off of screens, take that tough pass, make the tough pass, and keep that defense honest with a consistent shot. A good rebounder is a plus. I think by her senior year some of these may become strengths, but she clearly has work to do, starting with learning proper spin and strength off the backboards with her layups. Oh boy though, Dixon would be ideal. Cooks would be nice too. Both would give Geno some sweet options. I've the feeling only one of them are coming, but I'm so greedy.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Uhm... Napheesa collier is 6'2" with long arms per the "official" UCONN website so I'm going with that.
Regardless of what size she is if you are going to give me a person of Napheesa or Gabby ability I'll take her. Otherwise, return to sender!
Napheesa Collier - Women's Basketball - University of Connecticut Athletics
The UCONN official website also has Lou Samuelson at 6'3". I see 2" difference between Phee and Lou. So Lou is 6'4". I guess this is a Bria Hartley redux. I'll go with reality versus UCONN PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom