Transfers (merged threads) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Current Grad Transfer Rule Up for Vote After Final Four

The scope of this topic, which is becoming one huge thread, might be changing in the future. I've cut and pasted excerpts from a NY Times article that writes about this primarily from the viewpoint of men's hoops. BTW, the proposed rule would only affect men's and women's hoops and football.

"The graduate transfer rule, the rare N.C.A.A. regulation that gives leverage to the athlete, has been used by hundreds of players since it was relaxed in 2011.

"It is also a rule that may not last much longer.

"In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.

"Justin Sell, the athletic director at South Dakota State who led the Division I transfer working group that developed the proposal, said that too often graduate transfers in men’s basketball and football had little interest in obtaining graduate degrees.

“We really want to protect against the football player who is done and leaves in December and the basketball player who is done and leaves in March,” Sell said. “A lot of students are looking to use it to play another year. Who’s seriously there for the master’s?”

Justin Sell, the athletic director at South Dakota State who led the Division I transfer working group that developed the proposal, said that too often graduate transfers in men’s basketball and football had little interest in obtaining graduate degrees.

“We really want to protect against the football player who is done and leaves in December and the basketball player who is done and leaves in March,” Sell said. “A lot of students are looking to use it to play another year. Who’s seriously there for the master’s?”

N.C.A.A. Clock May Be Running Out on Graduate Transfers

One of my children got a masters degree that took one year. Another, one that took two.
Compromise: "Demonstrated progress...."?

Most certainly seems like some coaches are trying to get this bit of player choice back in their side of the court.

Reaction Score
We’ll see how important #1 is if Horston reopens her recruitment.
Well certainly she has a better chance of being salvageable, since she isn’t actually there and totally under the influence of the dark force yet.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Pan would be rather low on my list if that's the need. Just within the ACC you could have:
Laura Cornelius from Miami would be her 5th year of school.
Pan's teammate at GT Balogun actually shot it better from deep on roughly the same amount of attempts
Stephanie Watts from UNC can stroke it and her name is already in the portal.
Haley Gorecki had a bad season shooting the ball but she shot 42% from deep a season ago.

Well, looks like Laura Cornelius will neither stay at Miami or seek another year elsewhere....she's going pro!
Cornelius to Pursue Professional Career - University of Miami Athletics

"It is a dream of Laura's to play professionally and I truly support that. She has given her heart and soul to the University of Miami and to our team," Miami head coach Katie Meier said.

I've got to think she's thinking of international-based leagues. In any case, the Dutch duo (Cornelius and Hof) will both have graduated from Miami. Successful players for Katie. Wonder if she plans any future recruiting trips to the lowlands?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, looks like Cornelius will neither stay at Miami or seek another year elsewhere....she's going pro!
Cornelius to Pursue Professional Career - University of Miami Athletics
"It is a dream of Laura's to play professionally and I truly support that. She has given her heart and soul to the University of Miami and to our team," Miami head coach Katie Meier said.
I've got to think she's thinking of international-based leagues. In any case, the Dutch duo (Cornelius and Hof) will both have graduated from Miami. Successful players for Katie. Wonder if she plans any future recruiting trips to the lowlands?
Mompremier must also make a decision on her future. She is projected as a 2nd round WNBA draft pick.
If she were to graduate transfer to the right program she could parlay that into 1st round pick in 2020.

Reaction Score
She already announced she was coming back.

Mompremier must also make a decision on her future. She is projected as a 2nd round WNBA draft pick.
If she were to graduate transfer to the right program she could parlay that into 1st round pick in 2020.

Reaction Score
Westbrook is a very talented player and would help any team but she'll need to work hard on her defense. If she wants to come to UConn and Geno wants her than it is all good. With the UConn training she'll be a real stud!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Is there going to be anybody left at Georgia Tech by the time this is over?

If FLJ gets and takes the job, I'd imagine a few will stay.

I watched GT play quite a few times this year and they were a very driven team that came at the opposition in waves. Besides the excellent freshmen (both of whom are in the portal), there were excellent international players. In short, they looked like a team. Now were they playing that way for Coach Joseph? Despite her? Or some combination thereof?

Plus, GT is not a school to sniff at when it comes to academics. So, one would think that the players might want to see who is the new coach to see if they truly want to hit the road (particularly someone like Pan, who only has a year left of eligibility).

Is there a deadline on putting one's name into the portal? And, if you do so, can you go back to your original school? Is there a little subhead or line that says: "Might go back to original school."

Reaction Score
Have not read about Fasoula putting her name into the portal, but another Vandy starter has, starting guard Cierra Walker. I can't figure if she's a true junior or a graduating one.

Also, I just can't see Patberg leaving Indiana after leading them into the 2nd round of the NCAA's. Virtually the entire team comes back and there's a pretty good frosh class joining her. Plus, she looks happy there.

Patberg already transferred from Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
who's gonna have more players on their roster at the end of April/May? Ga Tech or UNC..cheat? :eek:

You realize that folks round here don’t take too kindly to your new avatar?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You realize that folks round here don’t take too kindly to your new avatar?

Well i changed it. But...... 1) First playoff appearance in 10 years... 2) its the only team I root for that's still playing...... gotta rock it for a few days

Reaction Score
Well i changed it. But. 1) First playoff appearance in 10 years... 2) its the only team I root for that's still playing. gotta rock it for a few days

1554485615546.png

Reaction Score
And the Ole Miss transfer award goes to .... Indiana St .... which has 8 players in the transfer portal. All returning players, save a redshirt frosh, are leaving. (They also graduated 6.)

I guess the first year on coach Vicki Hall was slightly bumpy.

Hall has 7 frosh coming in this fall, so once again a new coach has turned over the roster very quickly to get her players in.

Reaction Score
Then why did you not have Notre Dame? You have Baylor and Miami for Beatrice Mompremier.

Reaction Score
If Westbrook is transferring, that is a BIG name to get. Love her game, its smooth. She's only gonna get better. I can see her playing for Graves in Oregon with that talented German player I forgot her name but yeah UCONN should check in to see if she is interested.

She is Turnover prone, with as many as 10 turnovers in a single game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She is Turnover prone, with as many as 10 turnovers in a single game.
She played out of position as a pg and received no meaningful coaching. If she ends up at either OR school, she will be a much better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom