Transfers (merged threads) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whatever is going on at UNC comes on the heels of the Georgia Tech situation. Then you also have the situation at Nebraska that led to Yori's resignation and the investigation of McCallie at Duke. And spiking transfer rates generally. So there's more than just UNC.

Someone of the alleged language used at UNC or by Joseph at GT is clearly over the line. But one person's "emotional abuse" can be another's "tough love".

More directly to the point of what Geno is talking about, take this anecdote form the recent ESPNW profile of Muffet:

"A few years back when one of her players transferred, she told McGraw that the coach was never satisfied. She always wanted more. "I told her that was true," McGraw says. "She needed to do more. And she wasn't giving it to us."

(I'm dying to know who that player was, btw. Has to be either Taya Reimer or Erin Boley).
Patberg?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Auriemma is totally correct, and it extends beyond coaches. I think professors feel the same way - one slip of the tongue and you could get reported and put on leave. One bad grade and the student's parents will try to get you fired. For whatever reason (some good, some bad), the younger generation is not at all deferential to authority figures and feels very entitled to their own opinions. This has changed very dramatically even in the past 5 or so years. I wonder how much social media and the ability to feed any perceived slight to the "outrage machine" has changed how young people perceive interactions with authority figures, coupled with so much permissive parenting where their kids are "always right."

Geno's zero tolerance for BS has always been one of the things I've appreciated most about him.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Patberg?

Not impossible, but felt like her departure was more about needing a fresh start after a nightmare run of injuries and illnesses during her two years at ND. And she's a noted gym rat, so I feel she's less likely to be the one who balked at being pushed too hard.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Auriemma is totally correct, and it extends beyond coaches. I think professors feel the same way - one slip of the tongue and you could get reported and put on leave. One bad grade and the student's parents will try to get you fired. For whatever reason (some good, some bad), the younger generation is not at all deferential to authority figures and feels very entitled to their own opinions. This has changed very dramatically even in the past 5 or so years. I wonder how much social media and the ability to feed any perceived slight to the "outrage machine" has changed how young people perceive interactions with authority figures, coupled with so much permissive parenting where their kids are "always right."

Geno's zero tolerance for BS has always been one of the things I've appreciated most about him.
What makes it worse is the quagmire of honorifics professors have to wade through. One slip there and you're a gonner as well. Add to this the idea that every opinion is valid no matter the source or how many agree with it and teaching today is a minefield

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think UCONN should take a shot at Watts from UNC, very talented player but plays wild at times with her shot selection, Geno would fix that problem no doubt

Reaction Score
Auriemma is totally correct, and it extends beyond coaches. I think professors feel the same way - one slip of the tongue and you could get reported and put on leave. One bad grade and the student's parents will try to get you fired.

As a long-time high school teacher, I can tell you that the things I used to do, the things I used to say, I can no longer do or say, specifically because of this. But, having said that, I can also say that-- like Geno said during this ESPN interview (with all Final Four coaches)-- I have had to make some changes to do my job. It's a fine line between pandering or adapting, being blamed or blaming, but I suspect that coaches, like teachers, have done well when they're able to adapt without pandering.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think UCONN should take a shot at Watts from UNC, very talented player but plays wild at times with her shot selection, Geno would fix that problem no doubt
She had 82 3 pointers in 27 games, she’s also a decent rebounder, I could see her likely starting at small forward next year if she was to transfer into UConn and eligible to play right away.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She had 82 3 pointers in 27 games, she’s also a decent rebounder, I could see her likely starting at small forward next year if she was to transfer into UConn and eligible to play right away.

Would you take her over Gorecki? :cool:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

NO! I have seen a lot of Carolina games and remember her from the McDonalds AA game. She likes to have the ball in her hands all the time and she never meets a shot she doesn't like. I saw her multiple times this season take a contested 3 while Janelle Bailey was wide open in the post. Once she waived off an open Paris Kea and drove into 3 defenders.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Well triad that is a hypothetical question. She's been healthy for the first time for a full season, right? And put up impressive numbers on a pretty mediocre squad. Happy for her. She's had a rough ride.

Reaction Score
Lol I can’t really say, Gorecki didn’t have a strong shooting year, but would probably be a better fit for UConn.

To the people questioning Bailey attitude problem, what did I miss?

Reaction Score
Lol I can’t really say, Gorecki didn’t have a strong shooting year, but would probably be a better fit for UConn.

Janelle Bailey looked like she wanted to beat the entire Duke women’s basketball team over a month ago. I saw a clip of it but don’t remember where. Can someone with the footage please share?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Just a major hothead. At least twice this season alone she's gotten sportsmanship technicals and then refused to let it go, had to be physically restrained and was ejected. The first time was against Wake Forest in January and she was suspended for half a game. The second time was against Duke and she was suspended for the next full game in the ACC tournament.

Reaction Score
Just a major hothead. At least twice this season alone she's gotten sportsmanship technicals and then refused to let it go, had to be physically restrained and was ejected. The first time was against Wake Forest in January and she was suspended for half a game. The second time was against Duke and she was suspended for the next full game in the ACC tournament.
Notre Dame will probably accept her than.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Stretches into medicine as well - every patient is asked to fill out at least one and often many more 'evaluations' of their care - and then doctors are actually compensated partially based on those evaluations.
The killer question is 'Did the doctor take your pain level seriously?' which has certainly added to our opioid crisis - just write that prescription and relax.

Professors are evaluated according to their student's responses to similar evaluations.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the things that makes a huge difference for head coaches is the quality of the rest of the staff - Geno and CD have it down to a science and they have trained the assistants as well and have been able to have longevity in those positions as well. A while ago I think it was CD who talked to the issue in an interview saying that Geno and she worked hard to be sure if one coach was riding a player hard in practice the other was being positive and supportive, and that Shea and Marisa were doing the same. No kid was ever left feeling the whole staff was 'against her', there was always someone in her corner.

I think people are frequently oblivious to the importance of the staff dynamic when issues surface, and frequently when issues do surface you see an unstable staff (Duke, KY being the obvious recent ones.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom