Transfers (merged threads) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here we go.....

Not much of a surprise considering she saw little court time. Showed some ability as a rebounder. Hopefully she’ll pull her game together wherever she lands. Leaves Dawn with 3 open schollies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I dont think anyone was going to USC. when they didnt offer the Wynns the job nobody was left but to re-offer Trakh.

Donna Heinel, the womens director, who was arrested in the entrance scandal, ruined the program. She had a choice of Cynthia Cooper Dyke(with her problems at every school she was at) or the Princeton coach, who came on the campus, spoke to the team and from what I recall the girls liked her. She took CCD and even though the program made the dance for the 1st time in years, it went to hell after that.

USC is not an attractive destination for women's basketball. It hasn't been for decades. I've been attending USC women's BB games off and on since 1982. Lisa Leslie (1990-1994) who was the 1990 Gatorade Girls High School national player of the Year, I believe was the last top 10 ranked player they've had come through their program.

What do you do when you put out a "Help Wanted" sign, and nobody comes in to inquire? Unless they sweeten their offer with a boat load of cash, the Trojans are not going to lure a high profile coach to resurrect their anemic women's BB program. What do you do when life gives you lemons? :confused: Right, that's what USC is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USC is not an attractive destination for women's basketball. It hasn't been for decades. Lisa Leslie (1990-1994) was the last top 10 ranked player they've had come through their program. What do you do when you put out a "Help Wanted" sign, and nobody comes in to inquire? Unless they sweeten their offer with a boat load of cash, the Trojans are not going to lure a high profile coach to resurrect their anemic women's BB program.
The thing is they would be so much better off if they went with a low profile up and coming coach like a Rueck or Barnes than anything high profile.

Reaction Score

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
USC is not an attractive destination for women's basketball. It hasn't been for decades. I've been attending USC women's BB games off and on since 1983. Lisa Leslie (1990-1994) was named the 1990 Gatorade Girls High School Basketball National Player of the Year. I believe she was the last top 10 ranked player they've had come through their program.

What do you do when you put out a "Help Wanted" sign, and nobody comes in to inquire? Unless they sweeten their offer with a boat load of cash, the Trojans are not going to lure a high profile coach to resurrect their anemic women's BB program. What do you do when life gives you lemons? :confused:
And when asked if she would give her 18-year-old self any advice, Leslie said she wished she'd prioritized academics and had gone to Stanford instead of USC. :D Dagger.

Carnac

Reaction Score

A former five-star recruit is leaving South Carolina women’s basketball. Forward LaDazhia Williams, who just completed her sophomore season with the Gamecocks, has been granted her release from the program and will look to transfer, her former AAU team tweeted Tuesday. Williams retweeted the message from her account and a spokesperson for USC confirmed.

After a year of challenges, Staley quite proud of her team

Carnac

Reaction Score
And when asked if she would give her 18-year-old self any advice, Leslie said she wished she'd prioritized academics and had gone to Stanford instead of USC.:D Dagger.

It's hard but it's fair. In women's basketball, USC can't compete with Stanford (academically, few do - top 10 in every category). They don't recruit the same players, just like UConn and USF/UCF don't recruit the same players.

In today's world of recruiting, players that consider Stanford, are not also considering USC. This year, #1 Haley Jones and #23 Francesca "Fran" Belibi committed to Stanford. Do you think for a minute either one of them gave USC a fleeting thought? :rolleyes: USC is a very good private institution of higher learning, but it doesn't quite compare with Stanford.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno is very picky with the players he recruits and I think another level is added when a player decides to transfer - the reasons for transfer and the limited years he gets to work with the player make the screen even tougher to pass.

I have no idea about what kind of person Westbrook is, but from her own comments and reports I would suspect Geno would not be interested - she seems to be very talented but suspect neither she nor Geno will be interested.

The two recent transfers he has taken were players caught up in great upheaval with school investigations into the coaching staffs. That provided a very clear reason for them to want to look elsewhere that didn't have to do with playing time or other more 'problematic' issues.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm surprised to hear the news about Herbert Harrigan. She had a nice season and showed some real growth in her game.
Not sure what was going on with Herbert Harrigan during the last UCONN vs. South Carolina game but she dogged it most of the game. Early in the game when SC was playing well she was energized but later in the game she did things like inbounding the ball and not even making it above the near foul line while the ball was on the other end of the court-leaving SC to play 5 vs. 4. She also had some heated words with Dawn during one of the time outs that was caught by the camera.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure what was going on with Herbert Harrigan during the last UCONN vs. South Carolina game but she dogged it most of the game. Early in the game when SC was playing well she was energized but later in the game she did things like inbounding the ball and not even making it above the near foul line while the ball was on the other end of the court-leaving SC to play 5 vs. 4. She also had some heated words with Dawn during one of the time outs that was caught by the camera.

Interesting. I do recall her effort late in the UConn game was not great though that was true of most of the SC team. I just read a story by one of the beat writers that talked about her lack of consistency.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm surprised to hear the news about Herbert Harrigan. She had a nice season and showed some real growth in her game.

There seems to be more than a few high profile players entering the transfer portal this year. Even if they must sit out a year, I wonder if any of them find their way on to UConn's roster? :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
*cough*
*cough*

As i started in the preseason thread there are going to be some big transfers this offseason. It really was buzzing around AAU circuit after conference tourneys and especially with these schools with big signed classes.

Reaction Score
I've noticed that too. She was also suspended for the first half of the first round game if I recall correctly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can only speculate on Harrigan’s issues at SC, but I notice that while she had some great games, and played in all 33 games for the Gamecocks this season, she only started 21. Dawn was constantly tinkering with her lineup this season, and Harrigan’s minutes were all over the place. In addition, she got yanked in and out of the lineup frequently.

One other point worth mentioning. As we all know, Te’a Cooper had issues with teammates at TN. There is a really bizarre situation with Cooper at SC, with news stories that Cooper is engaged to Dwight Howard, and there is some kind of lawsuit involving Howard and another man that he is accused of having a relationship with. There was talk that Cooper would turn pro, but she recently announced she will be back in SC next year. That may be more drama than some players want in Columbia.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
*cough*
*cough*

As i started in the preseason thread there are going to be some big transfers this offseason. It really was buzzing around AAU circuit after conference tourneys and especially with these schools with big signed classes.

Yes you did. Of course, I didn't get why some had SC ranked so high before this news but that's a different issue.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting. I do recall her effort late in the UConn game was not great though that was true of most of the SC team. I just read a story by one of the beat writers that talked about her lack of consistency.
Her dust up with dawn was 5:40 of the third quarter. The play where she absolutely doggs it is with about 30 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Could also be an injury because in the middle part of the game she developed a noticeable limp.

Reaction Score
Kiki Herbert-Harrigan has always been a bit of a problem child for Dawn. She has all the talent in the world but she’s an inconsistent performer who gets inside her own head temperamentally and also doesn’t always give full effort. The starting job this season and next was hers to have but she didn’t grab it. She started some this year but lost it and found herself back as a reserve. Her best friend on the team has been Cuevas-Moore who similarly was a problem child on the team for Dawn. She and Kiki got into some kind of trouble before the first round of the NCAA’s causing Staley to suspend KHH for a half and BCM for the full game.

I’m surprised she’s looking to leave with a year remaining but I guess she feels she can find a program that will hold her less accountable.

Reaction Score
The thing is they would be so much better off if they went with a low profile up and coming coach like a Rueck or Barnes than anything high profile.

Well they easily coulda had Jody Wynn. Former player. Was nearby at Long Beach St where she was doing very well. But they picked Trakh and she went to UW, where she started to make some progress at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom