Transfers (merged threads) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The first thing I would do is make sure I understand the rules of engagement.
That is true whether you are on social media or sitting next to an obnoxious drunk at the bar.
If you can't win, don't engage! I"ll be damned if I defend my Daughters against some fool that I have never met across cyber space. Having met or knowing such fools is different story. There a two piece would be appropriate and such fools would never suspect that I'm a southpaw.
Not everyone has your discipline or control....

Reaction Score
If I was certain that Makurat, Laksa, Cooks or some other talent was on board for next season, I would be fine with passing on Westbrook. But right now, I only see 4 starters for next season, and that assumes a big sophomore leap from Liv. UConn needs another starter and at least one solid reserve to fill out the team. I'd love to have MIkayla, Batouly, Kyla, Molly or Aubrey fill those rolls, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and I'm hopeful that Geno won't either.

UConn needs a 6'2"+ forward who can rebound, defend and score inside for next season...............Westbrook would certainly be a nice get but not a first priority

Reaction Score
Promise not being eligible is a mystery to me but I suspect Ole Miss did not give their blessing to a waiver, as I understand the NCAA relies heavily on the losing schools wishes in regards to waivers.

Your right, Tennessee did the same with Te’a Cooper so perhaps they didn’t feel it was best she could play right away, especially at an instate rival.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn needs a 6'2"+ forward who can rebound, defend and score inside for next season.....Westbrook would certainly be a nice get but not a first priority
So maybe Geno can drive over to the local Home Depot and pick up a 6’2” rebounding, defending, scoring forward in Building Supplies?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The first thing I would do is make sure I understand the rules of engagement.
That is true whether you are on social media or sitting next to an obnoxious drunk at the bar.
If you can't win, don't engage! I"ll be damned if I defend my Daughters against some fool that I have never met across cyber space. Having met or knowing such fools is different story. There a two piece would be appropriate and such fools would never suspect that I'm a southpaw.
Or as Mark Twain said, "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference". Much of the VolNation forum seems to be a nest of fools and onlookers. If some invisible says something online about yours which you know isn't true, why bother?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Support of the waiver request by the school from which the player departed is a heavy consideration for the NCAA both under the old criteria and the changes that were implemented in April of 2018.

....and when you combine that with unstable coaching situations, it can work out (Romeo & Shepard at Nebraska; C. White at Illinois). In the case of Ms. Westbrook one would have to wonder what kind of relationship Evina is on with the AD overseeing women's basketball.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I once read a lengthy and pretty insightful article on Evina Westbrook which cited how Oregon State Head Coach Scott Rueck had been a very positive source of advice to the Westbrooks through out her career. (This article came out after she was at Tennessee).

Given that OSU won't have a plethora of guards, the fact that the university was one of her three finalists and the mutual respect between the coach and family, it would seem like a good fit. Plus, he's a heck of a coach, from both a program-building and developmental standpoint. And, lastly, it might be kind of cool to come home again and play nearby friends and family. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I once read a lengthy and pretty insightful article on Evina Westbrook which cited how Scott Rueck had been a very positive source of advice to the Westbrooks through out her career. (This was after she was at Tennessee).
Given that OSU won't have a plethora of guards, the fact that it was one of her three finalists and the mutual respect between the coach and family, it would seem like a good fit. Plus, he's a heck of a coach, from a program-building and developmental standpoint. And, lastly, might be kind of cool to come home again.
Stay tuned.

I don't know if that's where she'll end up, but she was HS teammates for 2 years with Katie McWilliams, who just finished her career at OSU. I'm sure she had all the insight into the program she could've possibly wanted from someone she knows well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
(Romeo & Shepard at Nebraska

I'm wondering where Chandler Smith went wrong, she had to sit out a year when she transferred from Neb. to Gonzaga. I think she left at the same time Romeo did.

Reaction Score
I don't know if that's where she'll end up, but she was HS teammates for 2 years with Katie McWilliams, who just finished her career at OSU. I'm sure she had all the insight into the program she could've possibly wanted from someone she knows well.
Not to mention she played with Pivec, Goodman, and Tudor in AAU.

Reaction Score
Sort of a head scratcher considering she wanted more playing time. Florida St will have more guards than SC had this prior year. Nonetheless I’m happy that she’s found a place where she can continue her athletics and education. Good luck Bianca!
Woolfolk and Ekhomu will be gone by the time she is eligible, but they will have Sammie Puisis, Amaya Brown, Morgan Jones, Kourtney Weber, Izabela Nicoletti and a few others. Sure is some tough competition.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If I was certain that Makurat, Laksa, Cooks or some other talent was on board for next season, I would be fine with passing on Westbrook. But right now, I only see 4 starters for next season, and that assumes a big sophomore leap from Liv. UConn needs another starter and at least one solid reserve to fill out the team. I'd love to have MIkayla, Batouly, Kyla, Molly or Aubrey fill those rolls, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and I'm hopeful that Geno won't either.
I understand what you are saying and why. I was looking at the long range picture. If Westbrook came to UConn, how would that affect Bueckers commitment and would it cause Fudd to drop UConn from consideration? If it does not negatively affect possible future recruits, I am all for it.

Reaction Score
And if Westbrook did come and got a waiver she would have graduated before Fudd came to UCONN so that isn’t a issue. Westbrook only has 2 years left. But all this talk is nonsense she’s not coming to UCONN and like I said we need a big inside grad transfer in the 6-2 to 6-5 range who can rebound and give Olivia a rest. Sometimes being to selective when recruiting isn’t always the way to go. There are plenty of non McDonald’ all Americans across the country who are major impact players in the county. I say get in contact with Sidney Cooks big time and hope she has interest and can get a NCAA transfer waiver and play right away. She could be the missing puzzle piece to get the huskies back to a final four. They play tenneseee who is loaded with big bodies 6 players over 6-3. Texas who has 6-7 in prince coming back from injury with Collier at 6-5. Oregon has the 2 sister combo at 6-4 add ruthy also at 6-4 and they have a player coming off the bench at 6-6. Then South Carolina has size as well. These are all teams UCONN will face next season and oh by the way defending national champs in Baylor. No way UCONN can match all that size with just ono and a un proven camara at 6-2 and Irwin who I love as a player and teammate just isn’t athletic enough to keep up with all that size and athletic bigs. So basically that is the only other height we have. Next season is going to be a very long season with several losses if we can’t sign a few big bodies in the off season for next year. If we have to go international or the juco Route then so be it. Just not many bigs left in the grad transfer route left.

Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying and why. I was looking at the long range picture. If Westbrook came to UConn, how would that affect Bueckers commitment and would it cause Fudd to drop UConn from consideration? If it does not negatively affect possible future recruits, I am all for it.
We don’t need Westbrook we need height! Paige is a generation type player and Westbrook isn’t any way close to Paige and Paige is going to be a senior in high school. Our 2020 class is shaping up to be a blockbuster class maybe the best class UCONN has ever had.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Paige is as confident as I think she is, then it shouldn’t affect her decision at all. I would also expect Westbrook to be eligible immediately due to the coaching change at TN, so it really shouldn’t affect Fudd’s decision either.

But your question is a valid one. How do transfers affect both the players you have as well as the players you’re recruiting? Certainly, that is something that Jeff Walz is going to have to deal with at Louisville now that he’s signed 3 transfers at once.

Many BY’ers that are suggesting no to Westbrook are enthusiastically suggesting that we need a front court transfer. So let’s say Geno lands talented MSU forward Sidney Cooks, a 6’4” post with the ability to knock down 3’s. How would that affect the decisions of 2020 recruits Hannah Gusters & Natalia Marshall?

IMO, you take the “bird in the hand” and continue to go after the top HS players. If UConn loses a recruit or 2 because they were afraid of competing for PT, they probably didn’t belong at UConn in the first place.

Reaction Score
Blurb in the print and digital editions of The State this morning. Hadley yet to mention this on Twitter as of my posting. Dawn Staley to hold her end of season PC at 11 AM today. Perhaps this will come up. Big news if true.
8D761A5A-5EE4-4CF3-B1A5-4C1E7BFF6EDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some indication that Herbert-Harrigan is returning to South Carolina now that Te'a Cooper is gone. The State evidently published it in the print edition this morning.

While Herbert-Harrigan has been up and down, I think she was the only transfer that was really going to be missed. Should bump South Carolina up several spots from wherever I had them before.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cuevas-Moore went through a similar process last year before deciding to remain at SC. Credit to Dawn for taking time to work with Harrigan to understand and address her concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom