Transfers (merged threads) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Transfers (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree, the question remains if she wants to continue being a PG or move to her natural position. I’m also not sure what you mean by her not going to help much next year? I think she’ll be given immediate eligibility and that will certainly help If she transfers to SC.
Why would she be given immediate eligibility? Just curious. Personally, I think a guard core of Zia, Beal, and westbrook is SCARY GOOD.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why would she be given immediate eligibility? Just curious. Personally, I think a guard core of Zia, Beal, and westbrook is SCARY GOOD.

Coaching change would be a possible argument for immediate eligibility.

No love for Tyasha Harris, eh?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Or Henderson?

Her, too. I thought just a minute ago the story was that kids were transferring because the new recruits were going to take their spots. I can't keep up.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Very interesting. I know that many pundits, including Rebecca were critical of Westbrook for her comments after TN’s loss to UCLA. My take was that a reporter stuck a mic in front of a young lady, asking her a loaded question, after an emotional loss at the end of an emotional season when she was frequently vilified by LV vans while playing out of position for a HC that was never up to the task at hand. While Westbrook’s answer shocked a lot of people, obviously it was a spot on criticism that foreshadowed Phil Fulmer decision a short time later to part ways with HW.

If in fact Westbrook is interested in UConn, no doubt she will have to convince Geno that she is first and foremost about hard work, getting better as a player and doing whatever it takes to help the team win, including playing somewhere other than pg. If she makes that commitment to Geno, I see no reason why UConn should not consider Westbrook as a potential transfer.
Reasons not to consider: Bueckers, Muhl, Fudd, Makurat and Williams .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1555447372080.png

If all of that happens I'd be OK with Westbrook riding the pine.

Reaction Score

Well since there was a coaching change I figured she would receive immediate eligibility. if she commits to SC it won’t be at the PG position. She’ll likely be a 2 and play beside Harris, Henderson and Cooke. But I agree a guard core of Cooke, Westbrook and Beal would be very good but you can’t forget Henderson and Harris.

Reaction Score
Well since there was a coaching change I figured she would receive immediate eligibility. if she commits to SC it won’t be at the PG position. She’ll likely be a 2 and play beside Harris, Henderson and Cooke. But I agree a guard core of Cooke, Westbrook and Beal would be very good but you can’t forget Henderson and Harris.
Promise Taylor did not get immediate eligibility to Mississippi State. Not sure why one would and not the other.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm curious to see what the NCAA is going to do with the immediate eligibility issue this season.
Me too. Here is my wild guess. I think the NCAA puts more emphasis on the academic component of the transfer meaning if you achieved a certain GPA (2.5-3.0????) you can be immediately eligible. Same for graduate transfers, where a student must make progress towards a grad degree. I actually put this idea forward a few years ago and was most met with skeptics many of who forget that the stated reason for sitting out originally was "academic year in residence" as the NCAA calls it. My guess is if a student transfer from say Duke to UCONN and that student was doing well academically at Duke they don't need an "academic year in residence" to keep up with the curriculum at UCONN. It is a sham and it needs to end.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Very interesting. I know that many pundits, including Rebecca were critical of Westbrook for her comments after TN’s loss to UCLA. My take was that a reporter stuck a mic in front of a young lady, asking her a loaded question, after an emotional loss at the end of an emotional season when she was frequently vilified by LV vans while playing out of position for a HC that was never up to the task at hand. While Westbrook’s answer shocked a lot of people, obviously it was a spot on criticism that foreshadowed Phil Fulmer decision a short time later to part ways with HW.

If in fact Westbrook is interested in UConn, no doubt she will have to convince Geno that she is first and foremost about hard work, getting better as a player and doing whatever it takes to help the team win, including playing somewhere other than pg. If she makes that commitment to Geno, I see no reason why UConn should not consider Westbrook as a potential transfer.
Only if she can play right away. Otherwise that interfers with Fudd.

Reaction Score
Promise Taylor did not get immediate eligibility to Mississippi State. Not sure why one would and not the other.

Your right! I totally forgot about her situation. I guess it depends on the context that’s sent in for the student athlete to receive the eligibility. I personally thought Promise Taylor deserved eligibility this past season than Espinoza-Hunter did. Shephard received eligibility after a coaching change so who knows? If Evina does happen to transfer to SC and Dawn submits a waiver I certainly won’t get my hopes up because the NCAA NEVER does any favors for SC and that’s athletics as a whole, not just women’s basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Meddling mother who feels the daughter is entitled. Take it somewhere else.
I don't advocate going to war on social media. It's a no win situation. But how might any of us feel if one of our children was the recipient of withering criticism on Facebook, Twitter, VolNation, etc. by an angry and abusive band of so-called fans?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I was certain that Makurat, Laksa, Cooks or some other talent was on board for next season, I would be fine with passing on Westbrook. But right now, I only see 4 starters for next season, and that assumes a big sophomore leap from Liv. UConn needs another starter and at least one solid reserve to fill out the team. I'd love to have MIkayla, Batouly, Kyla, Molly or Aubrey fill those rolls, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and I'm hopeful that Geno won't either.

Reaction Score
Your right! I totally forgot about her situation. I guess it depends on the context that’s sent in for the student athlete to receive the eligibility. I personally thought Promise Taylor deserved eligibility this past season than Espinoza-Hunter did. Shephard received eligibility after a coaching change so who knows? If Evina does happen to transfer to SC and Dawn submits a waiver I certainly won’t get my hopes up because the NCAA NEVER does any favors for SC and that’s athletics as a whole, not just women’s basketball.
Promise not being eligible is a mystery to me but I suspect Ole Miss did not give their blessing to a waiver, as I understand the NCAA relies heavily on the losing schools wishes in regards to waivers.

Reaction Score
I don't advocate going to war on social media. It's a no win situation. But how might any of us feel if one of our children was the recipient of withering criticism on Facebook, Twitter, VolNation, etc. by an angry and abusive band of so-called fans?

In the infamous Larry King interview, a "medicated" Liza Minnelli told about how angry she once was reading a story on her mom. Liz Taylor heard her and asked "Are you reading that? Don't read it." Probably very wise advice.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The first thing I would do is make sure I understand the rules of engagement.
That is true whether you are on social media or sitting next to an obnoxious drunk at the bar.
If you can't win, don't engage! I"ll be damned if I defend my Daughters against some fool that I have never met across cyber space. Having met or knowing such fools is different story. There a two piece would be appropriate and such fools would never suspect that I'm a southpaw.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Promise not being eligible is a mystery to me but I suspect Ole Miss did not give their blessing to a waiver, as I understand the NCAA relies heavily on the losing schools wishes in regards to waivers.
Support of the waiver request by the school from which the player departed is a heavy consideration for the NCAA both under the old criteria and the changes that were implemented in April of 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom