Transfer thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
@Tonyc I'll sum up my disagreement in two words-Sedona Prince. A few shorts months ago UCONN evaluated Sedona Prince and thought she would be a good fit. Prince is a very similar player to Austin. At USA basketball Prince spent way too much time on the perimeter and was going to need UCONN coaching attention to diversify her game and make her into a post contributor. Since Prince's waiver was denied she will be WNBA eligible at the same time as Austin. The investment and potential payoff is the same for Austin as it was for Prince. The only wrong move here is to not do the evaluation.
Lastly I think some (you included) are overstating . E.g." To bring in Austin and her not willing to play underneath...." I have not read where Austin is " unwilling" to play down there. My interpretation is that she does not want to play down there "all the time". UCONN doesn't need her to play down there all the time.
As I mentioned in my post if she wants to play underneath and pop out for an occasionaly jumper fine she would be a great addition. However if she wants to be a perimiter player and needs to be developed into one with 2 years eligibility I dont see it. I see this incoming class along with all our current roster which is pretty much around for 2 more + years as terrific. To take minutes away from them might not be a good idea but I wll leave it up to Geno who knows alot more then me.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it was “Geno forced her to stay closer”, it was to help her develop a more complete game. She did not have much of an inside game prior to coming to UCONN and Geno was trying to help her develop that, similar to Stewie. It helped the team, but it also helped the player with their deve. He doesn’t seem to mind when Liv steps out for that mid-range jumper.

it's a chicken and egg thing.........is it Geno's job to develop players for their future WNBA careers or is it his job to win championships?............ he needed AZ to be more effective inside so that UConn would win games..............by training her properly her value in the WNBA grew........of course she didn't feel that training was valuable enough to continue for another season but that was clearly her choice........

Reaction Score
For you and @JordyG, I am not a Brenda fan and a search of my posts will show I don't like her at times from 1-Totally Vitriol to maybe a 5-can tolerate but still not openly rooting for her on the scale of 1-10 with 10 being Geno affection. That said, I just pointed out that "resume wise" she has all the credentials of any top coach other than the top 5 I mentioned. I am saying you can dislike her personality and other "quirks" but when it comes to her actual job the school is paying her to do, she is pretty good at it. So you don't like her scheduling as you think it points to her being a less than good coach. The evidence says otherwise. Same goes for Baylor and all the pathetic teams that Kim regularly schedules. That hasn't necessarily hindered her from achieving elite status. My quibble with Kim is that as an elite coach, please promote the game and schedule other quality games to showcase WCBB. I am an analyst by trade so when anyone says "so and so isn't good", I like to see facts or data to support that opinion. Otherwise it is illogical. So yes, not to pick a battle with you but until you show me how Brenda's scheduling has hurt her from being an elite coach (7-15 range), I would say you are being emotional on her, not logical. Emotion is fine but own it as "emotion" not as some logical argument. I despise the Red Sox, 49ers, Packers and Lakers but I mostly respect what they have accomplished. :rolleyes:

First, I don't care about Brenda. One way or the other. Please don't characterize me in as a Brenda supporter or hater. Second, from my perspective, the issue about scheduling a weak out of conference slate (i.e. Kim) is not about whether or not it keeps the coach from being considered a "top" coach (to be an "elite" coach you need to take on all comers, and not fill schedules with teams ranked 300+), but that it falls short of respecting and promoting the game, and game that is still growing and in need of promotion. Finally, I stand by my observation that ending your (thoughtful) post that anyone who disagrees is "ill-informed" is not the best way to encourage civil responses.

Reaction Score
Have no idea whatsoever if Ellie Mack, the Patriot League Player of the Year, can play at the high(est) levels, but she's going to give it a shot. And she apparently has quite a good one, both overall (50%+) and from 3-pt. land.
Plus, she's 6'3". Not a huge rebounder, but looks capable. One-year gig as a grad transfer.

Raoul on Twitter

2019-20 (Senior): Patriot League Player of the Year … First Team All-Patriot League … Preseason All-Patriot League … led the team in scoring and ranked third in the Patriot League with 15 points per contest … second in the league in 3-point percentage (.432) and eighth in 3-pointers per game (1.6) … ranked fourth in the league in field goal percentage (.507) … led the team in rebounding with 6.5 per game … led the team with 2.4 assists per game … six games with double-digit rebounds … scored in double figures in all but three games, including each of the last 16 … posted four double-doubles … scored a career-high 33 points at Quinnipiac … went 6-for-10 from beyond the arc with 22 points at Loyola (Md,) … scored 1000th career points in the fourth quarter of a win over Lehigh (2/22).

My family has Bison, Bucknell roots, and Mack is a perfect example of a top Patriot League player. Exceptional basketball IQ. Don't see her as a UConn transfer but likely will do a few years in Europe prior to starting a high level career.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
@Tonyc I'll sum up my disagreement in two words-Sedona Prince. A few shorts months ago UCONN evaluated Sedona Prince and thought she would be a good fit. Prince is a very similar player to Austin. At USA basketball Prince spent way too much time on the perimeter and was going to need UCONN coaching attention to diversify her game and make her into a post contributor. Since Prince's waiver was denied she will be WNBA eligible at the same time as Austin. The investment and potential payoff is the same for Austin as it was for Prince. The only wrong move here is to not do the evaluation.
Lastly I think some (you included) are overstating . E.g." To bring in Austin and her not willing to play underneath...." I have not read where Austin is " unwilling" to play down there. My interpretation is that she does not want to play down there "all the time". UCONN doesn't need her to play down there all the time.
Coco, I'm going to piggy-back on that last point. Maybe this is a distinction without a difference, but when I hear a player wants to be out on the perimeter, what comes to mind is all over the perimeter. But during that splendid 2013-14 season, Dolson was out away from the basket a lot, though within a certain arc around the top of the perimeter. That high-low stuff with Stewie was artistry. If I'm 6'5 and somewhat given to thought, that set up would have a lot of appeal: sometimes you're down by the basket, taking advantage of your height; sometimes you're out at the top of the key, scanning the field for an open receiver. Win-win, seems to me.

Reaction Score
Have no idea whatsoever if Ellie Mack, the Patriot League Player of the Year, can play at the high(est) levels, but she's going to give it a shot. And she apparently has quite a good one, both overall (50%+) and from 3-pt. land.
Plus, she's 6'3". Not a huge rebounder, but looks capable. One-year gig as a grad transfer.

Raoul on Twitter

2019-20 (Senior): Patriot League Player of the Year … First Team All-Patriot League … Preseason All-Patriot League … led the team in scoring and ranked third in the Patriot League with 15 points per contest … second in the league in 3-point percentage (.432) and eighth in 3-pointers per game (1.6) … ranked fourth in the league in field goal percentage (.507) … led the team in rebounding with 6.5 per game … led the team with 2.4 assists per game … six games with double-digit rebounds … scored in double figures in all but three games, including each of the last 16 … posted four double-doubles … scored a career-high 33 points at Quinnipiac … went 6-for-10 from beyond the arc with 22 points at Loyola (Md,) … scored 1000th career points in the fourth quarter of a win over Lehigh (2/22).

I have seen Mack multiple times. She is a versatile player who could help most P6 teams. Although she is 6-3, she has the skill set of a SF or even a SG. There is a good chance she would have stayed at Bucknell, but they will not allow 5th year players. Their men's team lost a player to Kentucky the year before for the same reason.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My family has Bison, Bucknell roots, and Mack is a perfect example of a top Patriot League player. Exceptional basketball IQ. Don't see her as a UConn transfer but likely will do a few years in Europe prior to starting a high level career.
Ellie was rated #58 at her position by HoopGurlz. She played for Conestoga in the Central League in suburban Philly. It's an excellent school.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have seen Mack multiple times. She is a versatile player who could help most P6 teams. Although she is 6-3, she has the skill set of a SF or even a SG. There is a good chance she would have stayed at Bucknell, but they will not allow 5th year players. Their men's team lost a player to Kentucky the year before for the same reason.
Why don't they allow 5th year players?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We just lost Molly. Ellie could certainly help the team GPA. :)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I have a feeling if she leaves Texas she will go to Baylor. They are losing Cox, she can stay closer to home, she will be surrounded by excellent talent, and they have a good chance of winning the NC. But I hope that does not happen. She'd give UConn an experienced, tall, talented front line.
Big 12 has intra-conference rule where a transfer has to sit out a year, and loses one year of eligibiity. That would result in her only having her senior season available at any Big 12 school.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Big 12 has intra-conference rule where a transfer has to sit out a year, and loses one year of eligibiity. That would result in her only having her senior season available at any Big 12 school.
Well, I guess that rules Baylor out. I hope she does not go to SC if she goes at all.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Of course, that could all change in a few months.

Reaction Score
True enough. A transfer has not made a dynamic impact for the UCONN WBB & there are no names of transfer on the Husky Wall of Honor. The WoH is too high a standard when considering a UCONN transfer though. Quite honestly this UCONN team could benefit from a transfer the caliber of Natalie Butler or a healthy Kentucky version of Batouly Camara. A post transfer the caliber of Azura Stevens would surely help UCONN secure number 12. BTW, I checked, I didn't see any of the returning UCONN players names on the WoH either. ;)

I agree with your overall philosophy- don't close the door on transfers. Transfers can help. And it was a pity Batouly was always hurt. She would've had a positive impact. But not all players would be a benefit despite on the surface looking to be okay. For example, a player like Natalie Butler -- she is strictly a backup player for a potential top-tier team that plays halfcourt unless she would come with the realization she sees 6 minutes or less and would be used only if a a big team puts Liv in foul trouble.

UCONN teams are built for fastbreaks. Natalie type players offer very little to this style of play. Just not a fit.

IMO it's important that UCONN doesn't get scared off because of recent issues with size. They've had some bad luck (losing buzzer-beaters) - big players leaving early, de-committing late, committing late yet don't go to UCONN as thought, or getting hurt.

The style of UCONN should remain: fast pace run the ball down the other's team's throat basketball. Preferably we would like teams to have to adjust to the UCONN pace-of-play. Slow bigs for a fast paced team helps very very little. Not sure a decent big is going to want to be a 5 minute player in blowouts anyways. Kids want to play therefore Geno/UCONN has to sell them and they can't lie to them. UCONN wants to run.

Reaction Score
Just curious. Does anyone know if Geno or CD has been in contact with any of the players in the portal as of yet? Austin? Davenport?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with your overall philosophy- don't close the door on transfers. Transfers can help. And it was a pity Batouly was always hurt. She would've had a positive impact. But not all players would be a benefit despite on the surface looking to be okay. For example, a player like Natalie Butler -- she is strictly a backup player for a potential top-tier team that plays halfcourt unless she would come with the realization she sees 6 minutes or less and would be used only if a a big team puts Liv in foul trouble.
UCONN teams are built for fastbreaks. Natalie type players offer very little to this style of play. Just not a fit.
IMO it's important that UCONN doesn't get scared off because of recent issues with size. They've had some bad luck (losing buzzer-beaters) - big players leaving early, de-committing late, committing late yet don't go to UCONN as thought, or getting hurt.
The style of UCONN should remain: fast pace run the ball down the other's team's throat basketball. Preferably we would like teams to have to adjust to the UCONN pace-of-play. Slow bigs for a fast paced team helps very very little. Not sure a decent big is going to want to be a 5 minute player in blowouts anyways. Kids want to play therefore Geno/UCONN has to sell them and they can't lie to them. UCONN wants to run.
In order to run you must first secure the ball and while a player like Natalie Butler is not going to win any foot races she was not going to lose many rebounding battles at the basket either. If you go back and look at the two ND games from last year Baylor & South Carolina games from this year Shepard, Boston, Cox and Smith got an incredible number of "uncontested" defensive rebounds and a few key offensive rebounds simply because they were the biggest player on the floor at the time. I'm not saying Natalie Butler or a player like her would have gotten all those rebounds, I'm saying we did not have anyone in there who could effectively compete for those rebounds. To run you have to rebound, to rebound you have to compete, to compete effectively you need size and bulk and UCONN doesn't have enough of either.
The UCONN run game is also dependent on live ball turnovers and this rosters also lacks a quality perimeter defender. Aubrey showed great potential in this area and Nika, Mir and Paige have show some ability to be perimeter disruptors as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why don't they allow 5th year players?

Bucknell has almost no grad programs for a player to attend during a fifth year. And they will not allow players to pick up a second major or take random miscellaneous classes to keep from graduating, which is what some patriot league schools do. They want the athletes to be exactly like the rest of the students, and their goal for the rest of the students is to have them graduate in four years.

Reaction Score

Raoul on Twitter

That's a really interesting one.

Reaction Score
DeBerry has another year and looked very raw last summer. She's also quite thin and will need time to develop an inside game at the next level. She's more of a wing/forward at the moment.

Not saying Austin is a need for UConn, but I wouldn't count on the majority of the above players to play at a championship level over the next year or two.
Totally agree, I watched Deberry twice and she is gonna come in like Liv..... needing time. Maybe even more time.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm watching a replay of the Maryland vs Ohio State Big 10 championship game. Maybe one reason Austin does not like playing low is that her teammates hesitate getting her the ball down there. Watching Austin play I see where UConn could be a much improved team with her, if she buys in to the UConn system. They all got championship tee shirts but Austin did not put hers on, but then neither did Mikesell or Owusu, so maybe that did not mean anything.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First, I don't care about Brenda. One way or the other. Please don't characterize me in as a Brenda supporter or hater. Second, from my perspective, the issue about scheduling a weak out of conference slate (i.e. Kim) is not about whether or not it keeps the coach from being considered a "top" coach (to be an "elite" coach you need to take on all comers, and not fill schedules with teams ranked 300+), but that it falls short of respecting and promoting the game, and game that is still growing and in need of promotion. Finally, I stand by my observation that ending your (thoughtful) post that anyone who disagrees is "ill-informed" is not the best way to encourage civil responses.
Ok, fair enough, let me ask you this question-is she a good coach?

Reaction Score
True enough. A transfer has not made a dynamic impact for the UCONN WBB & there are no names of transfer on the Husky Wall of Honor. The WoH is too high a standard when considering a UCONN transfer though. Quite honestly this UCONN team could benefit from a transfer the caliber of Natalie Butler or a healthy Kentucky version of Batouly Camara. A post transfer the caliber of Azura Stevens would surely help UCONN secure number 12. BTW, I checked, I didn't see any of the returning UCONN players names on the WoH either. ;)
Oh so true. I would have loved to see a healthy Batouly Camara. Would she have made a difference in the three games we lost? We, unfortunately, will never know. As far as Butler and Stevens go, I sort of believe in the old adage "Maples are nice, Sequoias are better".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom