Transfer thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Austin’s decision to transfer is unique in many ways. She started 26/32 games for the Terps, put up solid stats and was named 2nd team ACC. I tried to think of another underclassman in recent years who 1) started, 2) for a perennial top 10 team, 3) under an established coach, 4) had a great future ahead of them and 5) was healthy/not injured. The only player I could think of was former MD player Destiny Slocum. As a HC, these are the type of players you just can’t afford to lose.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I doubt Carrington since the bulk of our present players play her position. If we get any additional players, it would be in the PF/C positions. I think we would be better off with one of each. And I am saying this regardless of the out year recruits. You need depth at these positions so teams can press and be aggressive down low.
1584884972424.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Austin’s decision to transfer is unique in many ways. She started 26/32 games for the Terps, put up solid stats and was named 2nd team ACC. I tried to think of another underclassman in recent years who 1) started, 2) for a perennial top 10 team, 3) under an established coach, 4) had a great future ahead of them and 5) was healthy/not injured. The only player I could think of was former MD player Destiny Slocum. As a HC, these are the type of players you just can’t afford to lose.
Taya Reimer-ND
Lexie Brown Maryland
Kiara Leslie-Maryland
Destiny Slocum-Maryland

Sierra Calhoun-Duke
Azura Stevens-Duke
Mariya Moore-Louisville
Alexus Jennings- Kentucky
Te'a Cooper -South Carolina
Beatrice Mompremier -Baylor
All fit your criteria.
I would also add in Jordan Nixon, and Danielle Patterson both of who definitely would have been starting for ND this past season had they not transferred. The part about great coach might be suspect in the case of Duke's JPM but it has happened before many times.

Reaction Score
Not to many years ago coaches would start scouting players sometimes during their junior year in high school but mostly in their senior year. Now, as the woman's game grows in popularity, the scouting is starting much earlier, sometimes in Jr. High This extends through their high school and also, now, club and AAU teams. By the time they are recruited I believe a coach has sufficient information to evaluate the players they want for their program. I don't think you have that advantage when you bring in a transfer. Also, it is much easier to mold a player from high school into what you need them for. With a transfer you are getting someone who is often times saying, "I don't want to do it this way so I'm going to leave." Not sure if we really want that even if we need someone 6'4".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not to many years ago coaches would start scouting players sometimes during their junior year in high school but mostly in their senior year. Now, as the woman's game grows in popularity, the scouting is starting much earlier, sometimes in Jr. High This extends through their high school and also, now, club and AAU teams. By the time they are recruited I believe a coach has sufficient information to evaluate the players they want for their program. I don't think you have that advantage when you bring in a transfer. Also, it is much easier to mold a player from high school into what you need them for. With a transfer you are getting someone who is often times saying, "I don't want to do it this way so I'm going to leave." Not sure if we really want that even if we need someone 6'4".
I'd have to disagree with most of that. Part of every coaches due diligence when considering transfers is to talk to the coach from the school the player is departing. This is no different than talking to the HS or AAU coach about the kids coming directly from HS. At the end of the evaluation you have to make a decision on whether a kid is a good fit for your program. Sometimes the coaches flat out guess wrong or as Geno put it "a couple of bad recruiting classes" . The transfer pool is easier to evaluate IMO because they have a track record of NCAA play vs relying on HS and AAU which at all levels lacks quality competition. Second it is not as if the evaluations that were done one these players get thrown away. In the case of Austin specifically Geno though enough of her to visit her home. Other examples of the HS evaluations not getting thrown away was Batouly and Evina- Both of who were evaluated as HS players by the UCONN staff and then reconsidered when they became transfers.
BTW that 6'4" issue is a red herring. Two years ago and last year the biggest UCONN need was for a 3rd guard to be part of the rotation. Players like Danni Williams were evaluated to fit that need and decided to go else where. Today the biggest need is for a post player with size to backup and provide some muscle next to ONO. The UCONN needs change and UCONN CANNOT afford to sit on the sidelines and not evaluate the players in the transfer pool.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer-ND
Lexie Brown Maryland
Kiara Leslie-Maryland
Destiny Slocum-Maryland

Sierra Calhoun-Duke
Azura Stevens-Duke
Mariya Moore-Louisville
All fit your criteria.
I would also add in Jordan Nixon, and Danielle Patterson both of who definitely would have been starting for ND this past season had they not transferred. The part about great coach might be suspect in the case of Duke's JPM but it has happened before many times.
I suspected you might fill in the blanks and I appreciate the examples you suggest. But I did list 5 criteria, so some of the examples don’t quite fit the bill.
  • Reimer - started to deal with injuries at ND, particularly a chronic Achilles’ tendon issue.
  • I had listed Slocum in my original post along with Austin. The other MD players you list support the general point I was making, that Brenda appears to have a unique problem with starters transferring.
  • With all due respect to triadduke, the Blue Devils haven’t been a perennial top 10 team for some time.
  • Moore is a good example
  • KY, like Duke, is hard to consider a perennial top 10 team.
  • Dawn made it clear that she did not offer Cooper the opportunity to come back to SC for a sixth year of eligibility.
  • Mompremier had lost her starting spot to Brown with freshman Cox waiting in the wings. The writing was clearly on the wall.
  • I agree that Nixon & Patterson were probably penciled in as starters this year. But they weren’t starters and perhaps after spending a lot of time on MM’s bench, they didn’t trust her or their own abilities to become starters at ND.

Reaction Score
A rolling stone gathers no moss.....actually ive known people who arent happy unless they are not happy....

Attachments

• A60C00EA-35C7-46C2-AFDA-82447DEBD0C4.gif
    A60C00EA-35C7-46C2-AFDA-82447DEBD0C4.gif
    909 KB · Views: 146

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually, her father doesn’t provide all that much info.

When @JordyG and I saw her in the Jordan Brand game, she was the most aggressive and effective big.
Easily. We keep noting her athleticism and her ability to finish in traffic, noting she was the best big on the floor. I though was impressed with Prince, perhaps more than you were. But we both noted that Austin's upside was greater.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree with most of that. Part of every coaches due diligence when considering transfers is to talk to the coach from the school the player is departing. This is no different than talking to the HS or AAU coach about the kids coming directly from HS. At the end of the evaluation you have to make a decision on whether a kid is a good fit for your program. Sometimes the coaches flat out guess wrong or as Geno put it "a couple of bad recruiting classes" . The transfer pool is easier to evaluate IMO because they have a track record of NCAA play vs relying on HS and AAU which at all levels lacks quality competition. Second it is not as if the evaluations that were done one these players get thrown away. In the case of Austin specifically Geno though enough of her to visit her home. Other examples of the HS evaluations not getting thrown away was Batouly and Evina- Both of who were evaluated as HS players by the UCONN staff and then reconsidered when they became transfers.
BTW that 6'4" issue is a red herring. Two years ago and last year the biggest UCONN need was for a 3rd guard to be part of the rotation. Players like Danni Williams were evaluated to fit that need and decided to go else where. Today the biggest need is for a post player with size to backup and provide some muscle next to ONO. The UCONN needs change and UCONN CANNOT afford to sit on the sidelines and not evaluate the players in the transfer pool.
I agree completely. Though UConn could use someone to spell Liv and someone that could be a stretch 4. Ideally, those someone's would be the same person.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I suspected you might fill in the blanks and I appreciate the examples you suggest. But I did list 5 criteria, so some of the examples don’t quite fit the bill.
  • Reimer - started to deal with injuries at ND, particularly a chronic Achilles’ tendon issue.
  • I had listed Slocum in my original post along with Austin. The other MD players you list support the general point I was making, that Brenda appears to have a unique problem with starters transferring.
  • With all due respect to triadduke, the Blue Devils haven’t been a perennial top 10 team for some time.
  • Moore is a good example
  • KY, like Duke, is hard to consider a perennial top 10 team.
  • Dawn made it clear that she did not offer Cooper the opportunity to come back to SC for a sixth year of eligibility.
  • Mompremier had lost her starting spot to Brown with freshman Cox waiting in the wings. The writing was clearly on the wall.
  • I agree that Nixon & Patterson were probably penciled in as starters this year. But they weren’t starters and perhaps after spending a lot of time on MM’s bench, they didn’t trust her or their own abilities to become starters at ND.
Reimer was perfectly healthy when she transferred to MSU, healthy enough to start 33 of 33 games for MSU upon her transfer.

As I’m sure that both @triaddukefan and @CamrnCrz1974 will remind you, when Azura Stevens and Sierra Calhoun both enrolled at Duke it was the fall of 2014. In the Coaches Poll Duke was preseason #7 and would finish the Season at #12. Duke had been a perennial top 10 program for at least 6 years prior to that even reaching as high as #2 before UCONN administered home and away curb stompings.

Alexis Jennings was part of a mass exodus of players from Kentucky circa 2016. Prior to that mass exodus Kentucky WBB was a perennial top 10 team. Kentucky WBB finish in the coaches’ poll 2011-2016: 8,7, 10,11, & 12.

Dawn made it clear she did not want Cooper back? To which of your five criteria is that applicable?

Mompremier started 26 of 38 games for Baylor as a Freshmen. The example you cited Austin started 26 of 32 games for MD as a Sophomore. Mompremier definitely meets all 5 criteria.

Reaction Score
“...was hoping to explore her outside game more.”

If you recruit someone who played at 3 different high schools, why would you expect them to stay at one college for 4 years?
Well if you know the region, you would know that she was moving up to higher caliber high school programs... so would you be happier if she stayed at a bad program as she kept getting better?

Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Reimer was perfectly healthy when she transferred to MSU, healthy enough to start 33 of 33 games for MSU upon her transfer.

As I’m sure that both @triaddukefan and @CamrnCrz1974 will remind you, when Azura Stevens and Sierra Calhoun both enrolled at Duke it was the fall of 2014. In the Coaches Poll Duke was preseason #7 and would finish the Season at #12. Duke had been a perennial top 10 program for at least 6 years prior to that even reaching as high as #2 before UCONN administered home and away curb stompings.

Alexis Jennings was part of a mass exodus of players from Kentucky circa 2016. Prior to that mass exodus Kentucky WBB was a perennial top 10 team. Kentucky WBB finish in the coaches’ poll 2011-2016: 8,7, 10,11, & 12.

Dawn made it clear she did not want Cooper back? To which of your five criteria is that applicable?

Mompremier started 26 of 38 games for Baylor as a Freshmen. The example you cited Austin started 26 of 32 games for MD as a Sophomore. Mompremier definitely meets all 5 criteria.
Coco, I don’t want to get into a hair splitting contest with you on this that serves no useful purpose, but my criteria were pretty clear. You are introducing your criteria which are fine, but different from mine. To respond to a couple of points:
  • Reimer had left the ND team during the season for “personal reasons.” She had an injured Achilles, which she reinjured during the summer. She rehabbed the injury during her redshirt year and then was able to play a full season at MI St. She was therefore not a starter at ND when she transferred.
  • As for Duke/KY, an argument could be made that they were perennial top 10 teams. I probably should have listed teams I consider to be among those few programs that more recently are in the discussion year in and year out as potential national champions: UConn, MD, SC, MS St, ND, Lou, Baylor, OR, Stanford.
  • As far as Cooper is concerned, I guess I should add a 6th criteria just for your benefit, 6) getting thrown off the team. Cooper had two choices: transfer or turn pro.
  • You mention Mompremier’s freshman season, but choose to ignore her sophomore season after which she transferred. During her sophomore season Mompremier started only 10/32 games, averaging only 14.5 mpg and she was most certainly not a starter during the 2nd half of the season, when she had fallen behind both Brown & Cox in the rotation.
You made some legitimate points in your prior post, but some of the points you are now raising appear to be solely for the purpose of supporting a purely contrarian point of view.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields.
Or right from that same team. Lexie Brown. She was a leader on both of those Maryland teams and went to two straight final fours. They would’ve been even better had she stayed Brionna Jones and Walker-Kimbrough had both gotten better. She goes to Duke of all places, I couldn’t understand that.

Reaction Score
Taya Reimer-ND
Lexie Brown Maryland
Kiara Leslie-Maryland
Destiny Slocum-Maryland

Sierra Calhoun-Duke
Azura Stevens-Duke
Mariya Moore-Louisville
All fit your criteria.
I bet Ali Patberg would’ve been a big help to ND this season

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Regarding Taya Reimer, while I don't have any specific evidence to cite, I have a gut feeling that her transfer was for totally non-basketball-related reasons. Specifically, she was the prime mover behind the team's decision to wear "I can't breathe" warmups as a show of support for Eric Garner in the widely publicized Staten Island case. Based on my knowledge of the ND campus demographics, that point of view would not have been at all popular among a large number of her fellow undergraduates, and I can imagine that they made life unpleasant for her in person and on social media. I doubt that she had any issue with her teammates or her coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, I don’t want to get into a hair splitting contest with you on this that serves no useful purpose, but my criteria were pretty clear. You are introducing your criteria which are fine, but different from mine. To respond to a couple of points:
  • Reimer had left the ND team during the season for “personal reasons.” She had an injured Achilles, which she reinjured during the summer. She rehabbed the injury during her redshirt year and then was able to play a full season at MI St. She was therefore not a starter at ND when she transferred.
  • As for Duke/KY, an argument could be made that they were perennial top 10 teams. I probably should have listed teams I consider to be among those few programs that more recently are in the discussion year in and year out as potential national champions: UConn, MD, SC, MS St, ND, Lou, Baylor, OR, Stanford.
  • As far as Cooper is concerned, I guess I should add a 6th criteria just for your benefit, 6) getting thrown off the team. Cooper had two choices: transfer or turn pro.
  • You mention Mompremier’s freshman season, but choose to ignore her sophomore season after which she transferred. During her sophomore season Mompremier started only 10/32 games, averaging only 14.5 mom and she was most certainly not a starter during the 2nd half of the season, when she had fallen behind both Brown & Cox in the rotation.
You made some legitimate points in your prior post, but some of the points you are now raising appear to be solely for the purpose of supporting a purely contrarian point of view.
Where have I introduced "my" own criteria.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
“...was hoping to explore her outside game more.”

If you recruit someone who played at 3 different high schools, why would you expect them to stay at one college for 4 years?
To me the telling quote is this one from June 2019; "This year [2019–20], as long as I’m in the gym this summer and as long as I’m able to show that I’m consistent, then there’s nothing nobody will be able to say. I’ll be able to expand my game.”

It indicates to me that she was trying to determine the parameters of the arrangement and gave Brenda this year to meet her requirements. It looks like the best place for her may be somewhere like Oregon where there is plenty of post depth and they may see if she is indeed a wing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Where have I introduced "my" own criteria.
Reimer and Mompremier were not starters and/or healthy at ND & Baylor respectively when they transferred.

Reaction Score
Well if you know the region, you would know that she was moving up to higher caliber high school programs... so would you be happier if she stayed at a bad program as she kept getting better?
No value judgment. But in today's world Brenda can't expect to say whatever it takes to get a recruit - especially one whose values clearly don't include loyalty to one's school - and then think she has her locked up for 4 years if things don't go as they discussed up front (of if they "don't see eye to eye" as Mr. Austin said).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom