Transfer thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that is certainly the hope but one exhibition game doesn't make it so.............I simply haven't seen enough of her to feel 100% confident that the front court weaknesses that were part of the problem in the three losses are solved especially now with the loss of Walker..............Edwards will get her chance at stardom whether UConn brings in another big player or not and I sure hope she can walk in NC's footsteps........

I agree, from the little video I’ve seen of Edwards, she looks more like a true wing, then a player who’s going to consistently bang down low.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
This guy can`t understand why anyone would transfer out of the Maryland WCBB program.

brenda4.jpg

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
As Geno has noted, everyone now wants to be a perimeter player. He had to push Maya, Stewie, Lou, et al. to play inside more. Amazingly, they all became even better players for it. ;)

For all those who favor the perimter, Geno will *learn 'em*. I recall how hard he had to push Maya out of her perimeter-itis. Coming into the college game, rookies want to continue with what made them successful, what they're comfortable with. That's a pretty common human reaction, not confined just to sports. But it is a form of illogical tunnel vision. Being able to take a defender to more places on the floor with more options to score makes the job of defending more and more difficult. It seems so obvious, doesn't it? Yet Geno has often had to work hard and insistently to overcome resistance. Kudos to him.

Reaction Score
Brenda wanted her to be a center. They didn’t see eye to eye.

If that is true why wasn't it discussed during recruiting? It was one of the questions Saylor asked Geno. It is spin to get a release.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If that is true why wasn't it discussed during recruiting? It was one of the questions Saylor asked Geno. It is spin to get a release.
Not sure what you mean by a release. With the advent of the portal, the former coach cannot block a transfer.

Reaction Score
I don't look forward to transfers as a rule. (I am taking my allowed exception to the rule in anticipation of Evina.) Transfers haven't really worked out as advertised and I would rather the coaches spend time developing the players on the roster. I am a big believer in a developmental arc where players struggle to show gradual improvements and then for some reason show massive improvement. I enjoy getting behind the girls when they are struggling and mark all the little things that give me indications that the improvement is on schedule. Although I quit coaching in the 90's, it is still a thrill for me to see someone work hard, not quit, and then experience the breakthrough. And then the really good ones, use that breakthrough as a stepping stone.

I have always struggled with transfers. I saw it as a punishment to the student athlete; after all , non-athlet

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is there a specific sentence or paragraph in this 23-page document that you'd like to cite?

See page 11: "The student-athlete’s institution must enter his or her information into the NCAA transfer portal within two business days of receipt of the student-athlete’s request."

Who has time to read all the new rules? Checkmate to you

Reaction Score
Shakira Austin from MD just entered the portal: does she fit your criteria?

I don't remember seeing her play but she fits. But there are other factors that Geno considers that I know nothing about.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IMO while Austin would be a nice pickup, she's not a Need.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa 6'4" Junior Next Year.
Aaiyah Edwards 6'2 Freshmen
Piath Gabriel 6' 5" Freshmen
Amari DeBerry 6'5" Class of 2021

Only Gabriel is considered a player that needs more development to be successful her 1st year.

DeBerry has another year and looked very raw last summer. She's also quite thin and will need time to develop an inside game at the next level. She's more of a wing/forward at the moment.

Not saying Austin is a need for UConn, but I wouldn't count on the majority of the above players to play at a championship level over the next year or two.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You answered your own question. The player has to ask that question. Unfortunately the Coach is looking for a signature and, from what I understand, only interested in talking about popsicles and rainbows.

Reaction Score
You answered your own question. The player has to ask that question. Unfortunately the Coach is looking for a signature and, from what I understand, only interested in talking about popsicles and rainbows.

I guess there is no chance Frese mislead or misrepresented what Austin's role would be?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
DeBerry has another year and looked very raw last summer. She's also quite thin and will need time to develop an inside game at the next level. She's more of a wing/forward at the moment.

Not saying Austin is a need for UConn, but I wouldn't count on the majority of the above players to play at a championship level over the next year or two.

Are you kidding about DeBerry...very raw...has to develop her inside game... This is what her high school profile had to say about Amari DeBerry:

USA Trials-May 2019: Agile interior prospect brings superior size, defensive presence to the key; alters shots, rebounds and initiates the fast break; offensive firepower brings face up game threat in the key and beyond; mobile in transition game; impacts in the paint; a power-5 prospect in the class of 2021.

USJN-July 2018: Impact front court prospect with finesse game; shot blocker with superior length; superb in transition game, scores in uptempo; soft touch in post game, finishes plays in traffic; continues as a next level impact performer. (Olson)

She is currently ranked number 5 overall and is ranked number one in her position.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Are you kidding about DeBerry...very raw...has to develop her inside game... This is what her high school profile had to say about Amari DeBerry:

No, not kidding. That's based on observing her last year with the U17 team, mostly. We'll see how she develops this next season if there is one.

Reaction Score
Do you think Geno would be interested in Davenport or Austin? Carrington?

Reaction Score
I doubt Carrington since the bulk of our present players play her position. If we get any additional players, it would be in the PF/C positions. I think we would be better off with one of each. And I am saying this regardless of the out year recruits. You need depth at these positions so teams can press and be aggressive down low.

Reaction Score
If you aren't a big, you have no idea the energy that is exerted to both run the floor, jump multiple times on every possession, and muscle it down low for position. You watch the so called bigs we do have tire during the 3 lost games because the other team just kept throwing adequate bodies at them. My goal for bigs is 25 minutes tops per game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom