Transfer thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
not really, they have lost plenty of players including Lexie Brown, Destiny Slocum and they all had a bogus reason they left (sick relative, get closer to home, etc.) Austin was 50 miles from home, so what is the real reason?
Lack of development IMO. Kind of like Azura Part II.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Posted this on the other board--any top recruit landed seems to have less than a 50% chance they'll suit up as seniors for the school they originally picked:

2018 is now up to 3 of the top 10 and 8 of the top 20 who are transferring. Plus two other top 21 recruits (Aquino/Nicoletti) havent suited up yet due to health/injury, so 10/21 we havent seen or have transferred. Currently at 52% have played and stuck it out at their original school so far if we look at top 21 recruits. If we count Collier's decommit in HS, it drops to 48%. Percentage who stay likely continues to decrease as the offseason continues.

If Carter opts for the pros, none of the top 7 recruits in 2017 HG class will be suiting up for the same school they did as freshmen. That is nuts.
12 of the top 20 (assuming Carter leaves) have transferred or left early from the school they signed with, meaning only 40% have stayed at their original school.

2016 had 9 of the top 20 stay loyal to one program all 4 years, 45%.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Princeton like the other Ivy League schools only provide scholarships based on Financial Need. They don't award athletic scholarships.
The point was an academic equal or better and a team that would have qualified for the NCAA's this year had their been a tournament. I also chuckle that all these players think they deserve "full scholarship". Either Wilson or Carrington could go back to Stanford and actually PAY THEIR WAY like 98% of the rest of the students have to.

Reaction Score
Do “we” want or need Austin?
I think we should always be looking for bigs. In my opinion starting bigs should only be playing 20-25 min a game so they can be super aggressive, run the floor full out, and muscle it down low to get maximum advantage. The energy exertion is different than guards. We should really have about 5 PF/C position players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Body language during games. I could not think of the right words. Thank you.
I didn’t so much pick up on the body language. What I did notice is that sometimes Austin looked like a force on the court. Other times she disappeared, and subsequently spent long interludes on the bench. I assumed Brenda was doing her best to motivate Austin. Well, it certainly looks like Austin is motivated now.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMO while Austin would be a nice pickup, she's not a Need.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa 6'4" Junior Next Year.
Aaiyah Edwards 6'2 Freshmen
Piath Gabriel 6' 5" Freshmen
Amari DeBerry 6'5" Class of 2021

Only Gabriel is considered a player that needs more development to be successful her 1st year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO while Austin would be a nice pickup, she's not a Need.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa 6'4" Junior Next Year.
Aaiyah Edwards 6'2 Freshmen
Piath Gabriel 6' 5" Freshmen
Amari DeBerry 6'5" Class of 2021

Only Gabriel is considered a player that needs more development to be successful her 1st year.
Close your eyes for a second and imagine this: Austin to South Carolina! UCONN needs to keep her away from South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I didn’t so much pick up the body language. What I did notice is that sometimes Austin looked like a force on the court. Other times she disappeared, and subsequently spent long interludes on the bench. I assumed Brenda was doing her best to motivate Austin. Well, it certainly looks like Austin is motivated now.
Sounds like Tina Charles her first 2 years. Geno made her unstoppable so I imagine if Austin was looking for development she would want to be in Geno’s gym.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That should be pretty clear. After she turned out to be a bust at MD for 2 years.
Coco, I know you like to dig down and throw BY’ers old posts back at them. I know you think it’s clever. I think it’s chicken-x. We all share our opinions here and sometimes we change them. I don’t have the time or interest to go back and sort through every one of your posts searching for a contradiction. But since you appear to have a lot of time on your hands, go back last year, when UConn really needed some frontcourt depth, and take a look at some of your less than enthusiastic posts about Evelyn.
Then please explain why you took diametrically opposed views on Evelyn who had demonstrated an ability to succeed at the D1 level and Owens who has yet to do so.

How quickly you forget. I did no believe Evelyn would be a UCONN contributor for several reasons. Top two:
1) She is listed at 6"1" which is generous.
2) Evelyn came to Murray State after playing at Gardner-Webb for two season where she averaged 5.7 points and a 5.3 rebounds per game.
Owens by contrast is listed at 6'4", if you want to quibble that down to 6'3" I'm fine with that. Maryland ain't Murray State and it darn sure ain't Gardner-Webb. To paraphrase Meek Mil: There levels to this thing called Division 1. BTW I would have been very happy to be wrong about Evelyn, but thanks for reminding me that I wasn't!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How quickly you forget. I did no believe Evelyn would be a UCONN contributor for several reasons. Top two:
1) She is listed at 6"1" which is generous.
2) Evelyn came to Murray State after playing at Gardner-Webb for two season where she averaged 5.7 points and a 5.3 rebounds per game.
Owens by contrast is listed at 6'4", if you want to quibble that down to 6'3" I'm fine with that. Maryland ain't Murray State and it darn sure ain't Gardner-Webb. To paraphrase Meek Mil: There levels to this thing called Division 1. BTW I would have been very happy to be wrong about Evelyn, but thanks for reminding me that I wasn't!
Yes, and Evelyn also played exceptionally well in all 3 games last season vs P5 opponents (IL, TN, KY). That would be 3 more games than Owens has ever performed well in against any P5 opponent. BTW, I would be very happy to be wrong about Owens, but I seriously doubt I will be wrong.

Reaction Score
Has Collier gone into the portal or are all just throwing her name out there?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Which brings up the possible question,
Austin or Collier ?

Collier fills a different role that compliments ONO's game better than Austin would. Austin/ONO are more similar players.

What a storyline that would be if Collier commits to Texas, decommits, commits to UCONN, then decommits from UCONN and recommits to Texas, only to transfer to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Has Collier gone into the portal or are all just throwing her name out there?

just wishful thinking since she had her change of heart a couple of years ago.....................I'm not aware of any interest to transfer on her part but who knows..............if she really chose Texas to be close to home and she actually did want to transfer there certainly are other Texas schools that would be very pleased to have her.................

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
now she's a player UConn should be interested in........6'5" with a good inside skill set............#5 rated player ESPN 2018.......averaged 10 point and 8 rebounds per game in 23 minutes...........a bit inconsistent but would surely benefit from UConn coaching...............an additional strong inside presence.........

I wonder how this year's and next's tall recruits would view that development?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom