Transfer thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Which brings me right back to disagreeing with you. Owens and Davenport have the potential to contribute more to this team than transfer Evelyn did to her UCONN team and more than Batouly, also a transfer, contributed to any of her 3 UCONN teams. You seem to want a sure thing and there ain’t one.
There is no sure thing. But let’s at least be serious about Owens. Geno saw her play a few times with her AAU team in early 2015. He then saw her play once in HS in December 2015. She didn’t have a particularly good game, supposedly because she saw Geno at the game, and she got nervous. There was no subsequent contact between UConn and Owens that I could find, so my assumption is that Geno didn’t feel that she was a fit at UConn.

As information, that trip by Geno to watch Owens took place approximately 1 full year before Charli Collier committed to UConn. So Geno had no commitments from any other Big in the Class of 2018 when he decided to stop recruiting Owens.

As I mentioned, in her first year at MD, Owens played in just 16 games, averaging 4 minutes and 1 point per game. Her best game was vs the Coppin St Cupcakes, early that season. I have no idea what health issue kept her out of her entire sophomore season, but it obviously raises a serious red flag.

Not every player over 6’3” is worth recruiting. Quite frankly, I don’t understand the fixation by some UConn fans on seemingly every single player over 6’ that hits the transfer portal. The vast majority of these players cannot possibly help the Huskies.

Reaction Score
DJC is very athletic.
Agreed.
She is amazingly athletic given that she has had two ACL repairs prior to being injured for the majority of this season. She was injured during high school and was a very big piece of Stanford's success in '18-'19, including a strong performance during an upset win over Oregon for the 2019 PAC-12 Tourney title.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Likely one of the bigger grad transfers in the offseason. Averaged 14 points and 7.5 rebounds last year for a good Stanford team.
Carrington was a heck of a player as a jr, but you do realize she only played limited minutes in 5 games for the Cardinal this season due to a serious knee injury. Unfortunately, UConn has recent experience with a similar transfer. Touly is a wonderful young lady, but chronic knee problems severely limited her ability to contribute meaningful minutes at UConn.

Reaction Score
Carrington was a heck of a player as a jr, but you do realize she only played limited minutes in 5 games for the Cardinal this season due to a serious knee injury. Unfortunately, UConn has recent experience with a similar transfer. Touly is a wonderful young lady, but chronic knee problems severely limited her ability to contribute meaningful minutes at UConn.
Was it ever officially confirmed as a knee injury for Carrington? I hadn't heard about the extent of Carrington's injury. Stanford is very good about keeping info about its player's injuries quiet unless the player for whatever reason wants to make it known. We never got a conclusive update on the status of Haley Jones' knee injury, either.

If it is a third significant knee injury for Carrington that required another surgery this year, then a lot of concern needs to be given to her playing again. I don't doubt her commitment to the rehab, but the recurrence of injury may make it problematic for her going forward.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Was it ever officially confirmed as a knee injury for Carrington? I hadn't heard about the extent of Carrington's injury. Stanford is very good about keeping info about its player's injuries quiet unless the player for whatever reason wants to make it known. We never got a conclusive update on the status of Haley Jones' knee injury, either.

If it is a third significant knee injury for Carrington that required another surgery this year, then a lot of concern needs to be given to her playing again. I don't doubt her commitment to the rehab, but the recurrence of injury may make it problematic for her going forward.
Stanford does keep a tight lid on player injuries, but there was at least one press report that indicated Carrington’s prolonged absence was due to a knee injury.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is no sure thing. But let’s at least be serious about Owens. Geno saw her play a few times with her AAU team in early 2015. He then saw her play once in HS in December 2015. She didn’t have a particularly good game, supposedly because she saw Geno at the game, and she got nervous. There was no subsequent contact between UConn and Owens that I could find, so my assumption is that Geno didn’t feel that she was a fit at UConn.

As information, that trip by Geno to watch Owens took place approximately 1 full year before Charli Collier committed to UConn. So Geno had no commitments from any other Big in the Class of 2018 when he decided to stop recruiting Owens.

As I mentioned, in her first year at MD, Owens played in just 16 games, averaging 4 minutes and 1 point per game. Her best game was vs the Coppin St Cupcakes, early that season. I have no idea what health issue kept her out of her entire sophomore season, but it obviously raises a serious red flag.

Not every player over 6’3” is worth recruiting. Quite frankly, I don’t understand the fixation by some UConn fans on seemingly every single player over 6’ that hits the transfer portal. The vast majority of these players cannot possibly help the Huskies.
Quite candidly I don’t understand the pathology of standing pat and being content for UCONN to win 35 games a year & not bruise the egos of the existing players by bringing in more talent. Transfers have help to determined the last 3 champions. The UCONN roster has had a transfer for each of last 5 seasons. UConn just lost its leading rebounder and scorer to WNBA. Davenport and Owens are worth evaluating as potential additions to UCONN and BTW the are both 6’4”. Perhaps better players will become available in the portal but perhaps not.
I fully understand why you want to stick with that evaluation from a bad game in 2015 but seeing that that was not Geno first time seeing her play my guess is that Geno saw something he liked that first time around. The kid was nervous as hell but still managed to drop 21 points?

Reaction Score
Which brings me right back to disagreeing with you. Owens and Davenport have the potential to contribute more to this team than transfer Evelyn did to her UCONN team and more than Batouly, also a transfer, contributed to any of her 3 UCONN teams. You seem to want a sure thing and there ain’t one.

Camara was never healthy. Besides, they essentially contributed nothing in games so to say that Owens or Davenport would do more is not saying much.
Frankly I don't see how fringe players at 2nd or 3rd tier programs are going to integrate into UConn's style of team play in a few months. After this coming season there will be no need to add transfers so unless they can play now they are a waste.
If a 6'3" power forward with AA potential appears who is ready to step in and play significant minutes from game 1 then welcome but I don't see that player.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Quite candidly I don’t understand the pathology of standing pat and being content for UCONN to win 35 games a year & not bruise the egos of the existing players by bringing in more talent. Transfers have help to determined the last 3 champions. The UCONN roster has had a transfer for each of last 5 seasons. UConn just lost its leading rebounder and scorer to WNBA. Davenport and Owens are worth evaluating as potential additions to UCONN and BTW the are both 6’4”. Perhaps better players will become available in the portal but perhaps not.
I fully understand why you want to stick with that evaluation from a bad game in 2015 but seeing that that was not Geno first time seeing her play my guess is that Geno saw something he liked that first time around. The kid was nervous as hell but still managed to drop 21 points?
OK Coco. You wore me down. Geno was mistaken back in 2015 when he decided to pass on Owens and, despite the fact that she’s done nothing at MD to justify his interest in 2 full seasons, he should seriously consider her as a transfer now, because obviously she’ll be better than Aaliyah Edwards, Piath Gabriel or Amari DeBerry when she’s eligible in two years, assuming the NCAA does not allow immediate eligibility.

By the way, Owens used to be 6’3” until she evidently had a growth spurt when she was listed on MD’s roster.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We need to see how the Covid19 plays out, what coaches are let go, what the transfer rule becomes, then see who hits the portal. My eyes are thinking longingly in @Plebe back yard on a 6’5” player who played for a suspect coach...:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Camara was never healthy. Besides, they essentially contributed nothing in games so to say that Owens or Davenport would do more is not saying much.
Frankly I don't see how fringe players at 2nd or 3rd tier programs are going to integrate into UConn's style of team play in a few months. After this coming season there will be no need to add transfers so unless they can play now they are a waste.
If a 6'3" power forward with AA potential appears who is ready to step in and play significant minutes from game 1 then welcome but I don't see that player.
Maryland and Rutgers are 2nd and 3rd tier programs? In P5 conferences? My bad that’s a football designation. Davenport displayed AA potential at USA basketball. She was not eligible to play in McDonalds AA game because she missed her senior season. Significant minutes are not available on this UCONN team. The minutes that are available are as a back up big to ONO at the post position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK Coco. You wore me down. Geno was mistaken back in 2015 when he decided to pass on Owens and, despite the fact that she’s done nothing at MD to justify his interest in 2 full seasons, he should seriously consider her as a transfer now, because obviously she’ll be better than Aaliyah Edwards, Piath Gabriel or Amari DeBerry when she’s eligible in two years, assuming the NCAA does not allow immediate eligibility.

By the way, Owens used to be 6’3” until she evidently had a growth spurt when she was listed on MD’s roster.
You don’t sound worn down! Roster limit is 15 per the NCAA. UCONN usually runs about 12 ish. That would make us “short” going into this season= plenty of room for Aliyah to excel as well as some one else. DeBerry is a HS senior next year-not eligible to help.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You don’t sound worn down! Roster limit is 15 per the NCAA. UCONN usually runs about 12 ish. That would make us “short” going into this season= plenty of room for Aliyah to excel as well as some one else. DeBerry is a HS senior next year-not eligible to help.
As of right now, neither Owens or Davenport would be eligible to help next year either.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Stanford does keep a tight lid on player injuries, but there was at least one press report that indicated Carrington’s prolonged absence was due to a knee injury.
Yes. Confirmed knee injury, and she was in a knee brace for a stretch. She had surgery in the off-season, which we had assumed was elective, played the first five games of the season and didn't seem like her usual self, and then sat for what ended up being the rest of the season. We've never gotten a conclusive answer as to what the injury was, but we know it was the knee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Camara was never the caliber of player that Carrington was, even when healthy. If DC can recover she'll be a huge asset for whoever picks her up. Wouldnt be surprised if she goes to ND based on academics and both Sniezek/Thompson going there as grad transfers. There arent a lot of other Stanford caliber academic schools that have strong basketball programs. Duke/UCLA could be other options. If she doesnt have pro aspirations and can get her undergrad at Stanford and Masters at ND, she'll be set up extremely well for a life outside of basketball.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Camara was never the caliber of player that Carrington was, even when healthy. If DC can recover she'll be a huge asset for whoever picks her up. Wouldnt be surprised if she goes to ND based on academics and both Sniezek/Thompson going there as grad transfers. There arent a lot of other Stanford caliber academic schools that have strong basketball programs. Duke/UCLA could be other options. If she doesnt have pro aspirations and can get her undergrad at Stanford and Masters at ND, she'll be set up extremely well for a life outside of basketball.
I agree that Carrington will be a great addition IF she’s healthy. As for Touly, we really don’t know how good she could have been. She started to impress during the second half of her freshman season at KY. Then she transferred to UConn and sat out a year. Unfortunately, over the next 3 seasons she was limited by chronic knee problems.

I’ve seen an old training film of Touly before she got to UConn. She had a beautiful touch In the paint: off the glass, either hand, jump hook, fall away, etc. She also was quick and strong, when she was healthy. :(

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As of right now, neither Owens or Davenport would be eligible to help next year either.
Stop pretending that you don't know that new transfer rules (no sitting for fist time transfer) which have been publicly endorsed by the P5 conferences are scheduled to be voted on ( rubber stamped) by NCAA board of governors in April.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
None of the other schools is Stanford's equal academically, but Duke, Notre Dame, and UCLA are all excellent.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Princeton like the other Ivy League schools only provide scholarships based on Financial Need. They don't award athletic scholarships.

What about Princeton? I hear they are a pretty good academic school, have a good program, an up and coming power and I think we might know the coach...:rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Stop pretending that you don't know that new transfer rules (no sitting for fist time transfer) which have been publicly endorsed by the P5 conferences are scheduled to be voted on ( rubber stamped) by NCAA board of governors in April.
No sitting for first time transfers? First I've heard of it...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Key words were “As of right now”

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Please provide a link to anything that gives credence to these "new transfer rules". There must be many reports from reliable sources if the vote is/was planned next month. Heck, there should have been at least 5 BY threads citing these news stories.

Reaction Score
Please provide a link to anything that gives credence to these "new transfer rules". There must be many reports from reliable sources if the vote is/was planned next month. Heck, there should have been at least 5 BY threads citing these news stories.

I believe there was a vote being considered but I now wonder whether the entire issue will be frozen until things return to normal................transfers basically can't even fly to look at other schools these days so I suspect they'll be no serious structural changes until the virus is under control.......

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I believe there was a vote being considered but I now wonder whether the entire issue will be frozen until things return to normal................transfers basically can't even fly to look at other schools these days so I suspect they'll be no serious structural changes until the virus is under control.......
That is true but I still would like a link or links to the stories that reported the cited new rules.
I am guessing that some transfers might already have a school or two as a preferred option and may not need to visit especially under the current circumstances.

Reaction Score

here's a fairly recent article which mentions dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger