Transfer thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“...was hoping to explore her outside game more.”

If you recruit someone who played at 3 different high schools, why would you expect them to stay at one college for 4 years?

.I don't think Geno is the kind of coach that allows his players to tell him where they should play....................if she's really looking to be a 6'4" outside in player she doesn't appear to be a good fit at UConn at least based on the Azura Stevens experiment...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding Taya Reimer, while I don't have any specific evidence to cite, I have a gut feeling that her transfer was for totally non-basketball-related reasons. Specifically, she was the prime mover behind the team's decision to wear "I can't breathe" warmups as a show of support for Eric Garner in the widely publicized Staten Island case. Based on my knowledge of the ND campus demographics, that point of view would not have been at all popular among a large number of her fellow undergraduates, and I can imagine that they made life unpleasant for her in person and on social media. I doubt that she had any issue with her teammates or her coach.
There was also some indications of a split among the team based on a series of post Reimer tweets. Parents and players (Patberg) were involved. Regarding the coaches don't think there were any issues there because she was talked into staying at ND after her initial time away from the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No value judgment. But in today's world Brenda can't expect to say whatever it takes to get a recruit - especially one whose values clearly don't include loyalty to one's school - and then think she has her locked up for 4 years if things don't go as they discussed up front (of if they "don't see eye to eye" as Mr. Austin said).
Brenda has always sold the MD program as a “family” environment. I guess that’s true if you consider it to be a dysfunctional family. We’ve seen one year mass transfers at some programs, and a steady stream of transfers from top programs like ND and even UConn for players in search of PT. But MD appears to lose more front line starters to transfer than any other top team, along with the more typical departure of players in search of PT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
.I don't think Geno is the kind of coach that allows his players to tell him where they should play....................if she's really looking to be a 6'4" outside in player she doesn't appear to be a good fit at UConn at least based on the Azura Stevens experiment...........
Geno is not that type of coach you are correct. There is a flip side to that equation though, Geno also challenges his players to do things that they are not comfortable with doing & always for the benefit of the team. If Austin truly wants to expand her game, there is no better coach.

Reaction Score
Brenda has always sold the MD program as a “family” environment. I guess that’s true if you consider it to be a dysfunctional family. We’ve seen one year mass transfers at some programs, and a steady stream of transfers from top programs like ND and even UConn for players in search of PT. But MD appears to lose more front line starters to transfer than any other top team, along with the more typical departure of players in search of PT.
In WCBB isn't that coach-to-parent speak for "I am straight and have a husband and children"?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In WCBB isn't that coach-to-parent speak for "I am straight and have a husband and children"?
I have heard that said. But beyond that, if you ever watched "Under the Shell" (I think it was called) even 10 years ago you would see that the "family" environment is what Brenda preaches. She also sells to the team that they are "disrespected" and "under-evaluated" (I can't think of her word, it wasn't evaluated, taken from a televised pre-game locker room talk this season). What she was saying was patently untrue, and IIRC Vera Jones poked a bit at it in her commentary, but if it sells to the team . . . I will admit that CVS has always preached to Rutgers players that they are the underdog, while Geno I always thought was summed up by his quip in an old WBB hall of fame exhibit "they (Villanova, I think, in the example) wish they had our problems" - in other words, pointing out that UConn was the much better team and needed to prove it.

Reaction Score
Geno is not that type of coach you are correct. There is a flip side to that equation though, Geno also challenges his players to do things that they are not comfortable with doing & always for the benefit of the team. If Austin truly wants to expand her game, there is no better coach.

true but do you think he's looking for a transfer that shows a lack of interest in playing inside when that is where the team's weakness is?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The number of transfers is up across the board for D1 women's basketball, and the number of five star players based on college not HS performance transferring has blossomed over the last decade. It is not specifically tied to college record, coaching, minutes played, or any other factor that I can see, though each of those might be part of specific decisions of specific players. It appears to me to be a generational shift in attitude.

One aspect may be that there are more attractive options available to transfer to - Geno spoke about how he disliked taking transfers back in the early 2000s, because he didn't get enough time to work with them before they left. He took a few in desperation, but generally with disappointing results for both player and coach. Rita Williams - a JuCo transfer who played immediately and was at Uconn three years is probably the only real success story at Uconn in terms of impact. But, recently he has seemed much more open to taking transfers as he is also finding the transfer rate out of Uconn is also much higher. And the number of good programs with open doors to transfers has exploded. I can't name a single top 10, 20 whatever school that isn't wide open to taking transfers.

As Uconn fans, I don't think we can point to any other program and say 'whats wrong' without looking at Uconn and asking the same question - what happened to the class of 2021? 4 in zero graduating, 3 transfers and one turning pro. Geno may still be very selective in who he recruits, but it hasn't exempted him from kids transferring out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
true but do you think he's looking for a transfer that shows a lack of interest in playing inside when that is where the team's weakness is?
I honestly don't think Geno thinks in terms of a weakness, that's more of a BY thing. As I've said before, If Geno things she can help the team & will work hard he will take her.

Reaction Score
Taya Reimer-ND
Lexie Brown Maryland
Kiara Leslie-Maryland
Destiny Slocum-Maryland

Sierra Calhoun-Duke
Azura Stevens-Duke
Mariya Moore-Louisville
Alexus Jennings- Kentucky
Te'a Cooper -South Carolina
Beatrice Mompremier -Baylor
All fit your criteria.
I would also add in Jordan Nixon, and Danielle Patterson both of who definitely would have been starting for ND this past season had they not transferred. The part about great coach might be suspect in the case of Duke's JPM but it has happened before many times.

Kiara Leslie wasn't a full time starter at the time she left Maryland (she started 7 out of 67 games, averaged 10 and 11 minutes in two seasons) and was out her entire junior season due to an injury. Brenda told her she probably wouldn't get as much playing time as she wanted due to the incoming recruits so she transferred to NC. State.

Lexie Brown probably would've never left Maryland if Maryland had stayed in the ACC.

Beatrice Mompremier lost her starting job after 10 games in sophomore season

Reaction Score
Maybe she just wants to be a UConn type PF in the Stewie, Tuck, and Collier mold where they operate all over the floor. Whaf I heard from the father is she wanted to expand her which to me doesn't mean she wanted to play exclusively on the perimeter.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
perplexed why Duke came up in this thread.
scratch.gif

Guess I'll have to read through these 8 plus pages.... lemme go get some carbs

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Demonstrably and emphatically false!
Really? Now you're trying to gaslight everyone.

For the record, 2015-16 was Reimer's last season at ND. She had quit once during the 2014 season for 2 games but then returned. She had also battled through a history of Achilles injuries. In 2015 Reimer played in only 6 games at ND, starting none and averaging just over 15 mpg. She left the team in December for personal reasons. MM left the door open for her to return, but she elected to transfer to MI St.

As for Mompremier, she started the first ten games of the 2016-17 season for Baylor. From that point on, Mompremier did not start another game for the Lady Bears. In the 11th game, Kadijiah Cave started at center. Both Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox had more minutes off the bench than Mompremier. Eventually, Brown earned the starting spot from Cave, with Cox first off the bench.

I know you like to research this stuff, so don't take my word for it. All you have to do is go to the ND and Baylor WBB websites and the facts are right there for you to look at.

Reaction Score
Princeton like the other Ivy League schools only provide scholarships based on Financial Need. They don't award athletic scholarships.
I’m sorry to disappoint but my school, Yale, gave out athletic scholarships. Every school does. They were just not always called athletic scholarships.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sorry to disappoint but my school, Yale, gave out athletic scholarships. Every school does. They were just not always called athletic scholarships.
All Ivy scholarships are need based only. They require applicants to file a financial aid form, which includes copies of parents tax records. Scholarship packages typically include 3 components: direct aid, student loans & work-study. The nice thing about the Ivies is that with their huge endowments, every student who is accepted, regardless of their financial status, is provided with a financial aid package sufficient to cover their tuition, room & fees after accounting for the amount their family must contribute. Athletes and non-Athletes are all treated the same when it comes to the Ivies.

Reaction Score
All Ivy scholarships are need based only. They require applicants to file a financial aid form, which includes copies of parents tax records. Scholarship packages typically include 3 components: direct aid, student loans & work-study. The nice thing about the Ivies is that with their huge endowments, every student who is accepted, regardless of their financial status, is provided with a financial aid package sufficient to cover their tuition, room & fees after accounting for the amount their family must contribute. Athletes and non-Athletes are all treated the same when it comes to the Ivies.
In specific terms of money, you are clearly more informed than me. But the complicating factor is that athletes are eligible for the money because they are athletes the school wants.

As with all schools as you well know athletes are governed by different admission rules. It is in this context that I call the aid received an “athletic scholarship.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In specific terms of money, you are clearly more informed than me. But the complicating factor is that athletes are eligible for the money because they are athletes the school wants.

As with all schools as you well know athletes are governed by different admission rules. It is in this context that I call the aid received an “athletic scholarship.”
Two different things. If you are a star HS football or basketball player, that is one criteria that can positively impact your acceptance to an Ivy League school. But the same thing is also true if you’re a talented musician.

But when it comes to financial aid, athletes and non-athletes both go through the exact same process at the Ivies to determine whether or not they are eligible for a scholarship and the amount of that scholarship.

Reaction Score
Z was the tallest player on the team at the time, and really had to play center out of necessity, she was still allowed to fire away from deep, drift out on to the wing, and listed as a Forward/ Guard on the UConn roster, the only thing she didn’t do here was bring the ball up court I believe. Austin would be playing next to a true center in Liv at UConn, something Maryland doesn’t have, and with Reece coming in who will slide right into the four where Charles was playing, would have kept Austin in the post.

Reaction Score
Z was the tallest player on the team at the time, and really had to play center out of necessity, she was still allowed to fire away from deep, drift out on to the wing, and listed as a Forward/ Guard on the UConn roster, the only thing she didn’t do here was bring the ball up court I believe. Austin would be playing next to a true center in Liv at UConn, something Maryland doesn’t have, and with Reece coming in who will slide right into the four where Charles was playing, would have kept Austin in the post.
I was contemplating the same situation. Only 1 player is going to be in the low post on most possessions. That could be Liv.
If Austin really has an outside game, she could be used the way Stewie was when Tuck posted up.
If not, we can wait for CC.

Reaction Score

understood but while ONO is considered a center she's in need of help from the four on the boards and if Austin fancies herself more of a wing that's not going to fill UConn's biggest need............they need a player who enjoys rebounding and spending a good amount of time in and around the lane..........Stevens was a far more accomplished outside shooter then Austin and yet Geno forced her to stay closer to the basket where she was far more effective when her outside shot failed her.......

Reaction Score
I think UConn is a good fit for the same reasons. Imo, she is not an imposing, immovable dominant 5 like Tina Charles was in her UConn days, Dolson, or an Alaina Coates or Griner or Brown type player. At times I watched Maryland, she would miss chippies and layups or just not appearing to be strong on the inside. She’s more of a 4 with good shot blocking skills. My only concern is this perimeter playing she wants, I haven’t seen her shoot any outside shots

Reaction Score
understood but while ONO is considered a center she's in need of help from the four on the boards and if Austin fancies herself more of a wing that's not going to fill UConn's biggest need............they need a player who enjoys rebounding and spending a good amount of time in and around the lane..........Stevens was a far more accomplished outside shooter then Austin and yet Geno forced her to stay closer to the basket where she was far more effective when her outside shot failed her.......
Two different parts in play here, Offense and Defense.
According to her father, she wants to expand her game. That generally means on offense. IF she's effective offensively from the perimeter, that's fine, I'm all in.
If not... next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul