Transfer thread | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I’m well aware of those trends and no one would be surprised if someone left before 2021-2022. But there’s a timing issue, right? As in you are recruiting the top player in the Class of 2021 now, and those other possibilities that would free up one or more scholarships for her or someone else are down the road.

I don’t know how you recruit under those circumstances. Can you offer something you don’t currently have? Is it even allowed? Who would accept whatever that is?

BTW, CW and ONO were born in 2000 so they can’t jump to the WNBA after next season, unlike Megan.

Kinda weird we are worrying about UConn hitting the scholarship limit. Like it, though!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You recruit the best possible players you can. Period. You never stop recruiting. You recruit everyday.

If Fudd comes to UConn, the you might get Rivers, Feagin, and Iriafen to commit. Then what? There are plenty of ways to make room on your roster. No one is coming to UConn, or any college, until they have signed their Athletic Grant-in-Aid and their National Letter of Intent. Geno never comments on UConn commits. If a student-athlete commits to a school, is the school committed to them? November 13

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
No doubt that stuff happens in some sports at some schools. I can’t imagine it happening in this sport at this school under this coach.

Reaction Score
You recruit the best possible players you can. Period. You never stop recruiting. You recruit everyday.

If Fudd comes to UConn, the you might get Rivers, Feagin, and Iriafen to commit. Then what? There are plenty of ways to make room on your roster. No one is coming to UConn, or any college, until they have signed their Athletic Grant-in-Aid and their National Letter of Intent. Geno never comments on UConn commits. If a student-athlete commits to a school, is the school committed to them? November 13

What the heck does this even mean?

Reaction Score
This is video of Lucy playing against US team which included ONO in summer 2016.

This is very helpful. There is nothing in the video that makes me think she could be a contributor at UConn. She got several blocks based on height alone, where the player on offense did not shot fake or otherwise try to avoid the inevitable. Apart from that, the video shows nothing positive imnsho.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is very helpful. There is nothing in the video that makes me think she could be a contributor at UConn. She got several blocks based on height alone, where the player on offense did not shot fake or otherwise try to avoid the inevitable. Apart from that, the video shows nothing positive imnsho.
The video is from 2016 and features ONO in some parts matched up against Lucy. Lucy was 15 at the time.
ON that USA Team was also Charli Collier and Sedona Prince neither of who saw much action in this game. Lucy saw action.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve watched video of Lucy and think she would be exactly what we need. A huge back up center. Piath may not help next year and Lucy if available, can back up Ono. Then the following year, we have three bigs that can handle the center spot. I know we have Amari coming in that year, but I have seen her play twice when she was a sophomore and I think she is gonna need time before she can help. Lucy looks like if she has it in her, can develop into a really good player.
I know this may be crazy talk based on recent teams but we could do a throw back to 1995 when we had two starting bigs like Wolters and Lobo.

Reaction Score
Be careful what you wish for. Cochrane sounds like a good fit but if she comes that gets us to 14 for 2021-2022, assuming everyone including Westbrook is back for that season. I know that`s a big if, but we do need to save a spot for you know who. ;)
We are only getting one season out of Westbrook.

Reaction Score
The video is from 2016 and features ONO in some parts matched up against Lucy. Lucy was 15 at the time.
ON that USA Team was also Charli Collier and Sedona Prince neither of who saw much action in this game. Lucy saw action.
Even if, as you are suggesting, Cochran was more advanced than the other three posts four years ago, it does not mean that she is more advanced (or even their equal) today. As you well know, posts in particular advance (and plateau) at different rates. A lot has to do with growing into their bodies, not relying on being the tallest player on the floor, and (the opposite) becoming comfortable with using their height to dominate. Bottom line: film of Cochran from 2016 says little about what value, if any, she would bring to UConn today. Frankly, I think that her play this past season is more indicative. Why would UConn want to bring on the last person off the bench at Oregon?

Reaction Score
Even if, as you are suggesting, Cochran was more advanced than the other three posts four years ago, it does not mean that she is more advanced (or even their equal) today. As you well know, posts in particular advance (and plateau) at different rates. A lot has to do with growing into their bodies, not relying on being the tallest player on the floor, and (the opposite) becoming comfortable with using their height to dominate. Bottom line: film of Cochran from 2016 says little about what value, if any, she would bring to UConn today. Frankly, I think that her play this past season is more indicative. Why would UConn want to bring on the last person off the bench at Oregon?
Does anyone know if UCONN is showing any interest in Cochran. Does anyone remember if she got any playing time during the UCONN vs Oregon this past season?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Because the last person off the bench at Oregon last year maybe better than the first person off the bench at UCONN this season.

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget what Liv’s freshman year looked like. I think Cochrane could be a valuable addition, especially with foul trouble. Looks like she has a nice mid range and if she can work on her inside/post game that could help coming off the bench, especially with her height. I think with UCONN’s coaching team she could turn into a really solid player; sure maybe not a super star but not everyone is. In her few minutes due to limited opportunities or injury I think she’s shown she has potential.

Reaction Score
Looks like Lucy Cochrane recently started following UConn basketball on twitter as well. Interesting because she only follows 38 people. The only two college teams she follows...Oregon + UCONN. I would say she is definitely interested and in communication

Reaction Score
Because the last person off the bench at Oregon last year maybe better than the first person off the bench at UCONN this season.
That we may agree on. If Prince stays healthy at Oregon at 6ft-7she is going to be a beast. And Giomi has done a nice job as backup and Dugalic looks promising and Sabally is a cross between her sister and Hebard. Lucy just wants more playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That we may agree on. If Prince stays healthy at Oregon at 6ft-7she is going to be a beast. And Giomi has done a nice job as backup and Dugalic looks promising and Sabally is a cross between her sister and Hebard. Lucy just wants more playing time.
We don't know why she left. If the reason she left Oregon is the one you are suggesting -having to compete for minutes- then UCONN is definitely not the place for her. Oregon has lost highly ranked players before. Most notably Sierra Campisano and Mallory McGuire Same class as Sabrina. McGuire was a starter and that was an on an Elite 8 team.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That sounds like a recipe for more transfers. Realistically, you can only play 2 BIGs at the same time. Having 3 on a team is ideal, because you can get each one 20/30 mpg, assuming you don’t go with a smaller lineup at some point. Once you get to 4 BIGs or more, it’s really hard to keep everyone happy.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That sounds like a recipe for more transfers. Realistically, you can only play 2 BIGs at the same time. Having 3 on a team is ideal, because you can get each one 20/30 mpg, assuming you don’t go with a smaller lineup at some point. Once you get to 4 BIGs or more, it’s really hard to keep everyone happy.
Realistically UCONN DON"T have 2 BIGS so there goes that option.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Realistically UCONN DON"T have 2 BIGS so there goes that option.
Wrong again. We have 3 next year, plus two jumping jack athletes who can play much bigger than their actual size. It will be up to Geno, CD, et al to develop them as players to be able to compete at the college level. That’s why they get the Big Bucks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wrong again. We have 3 next year, plus two jumping jack athletes who can play much bigger than their actual size. It will be up to Geno, CD, et al to develop them as players to be able to compete at the college level. That’s why they get the Big Bucks.
LOL!
ONO + Edwards + Paith= 1.5 BIGS and a project!
"Players playing much bigger than thier actual height"-really? How much bigger?
Of course it's up to Geno what a cop out. Geno has effective used 3 bigs in a line up before. Dolson, Stewie, Stokes. Stokes, Stewie, Tuck.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We don't know why she left. If the reason she left Oregon is the one you are suggesting -having to compete for minutes- then UCONN is definitely not the place for her. Oregon has lost highly ranked players before. Most notably Sierra Campisano and Mallory McGuire Same class as Sabrina. McGuire was a starter and that was an on an Elite 8 team.
As info. McGuire was a “sometime” starter who played limited minutes. As a freshman she started 24/36 games, averaging 16.5 mpg. As a sophomore McGuire’s numbers dropped to 19/38 starts, averaging only 15.6 mpg. The writing was on the walk, so she transferred to Boise St. where she started 31/32 games this season, averaging 24 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom