Transfer thread | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In the game you posted, Aaliyah spent a good deal of time in the paint, rebounding and defending against veteran USA posts. In the minutes she played, she was effective and she wasn’t intimidated, even when she was blindsided by one of Steph’s patented screens.

I’m not suggesting that Aaliyah needs to play 30 mpg at the post. I think she’ll get more minutes at the 4. But as a backup for Liv for 10-15 mpg, against college level competition, she will be effective.
No she did not! She played the wing starting the offensive sets behind the arc and she defended on the perimeter. Do you even know what a post or wing player is? If she ended up in the paint it was because she dropped down from the wing for help defense or an offensive rebound. She was a wing forward-Good lord!
Her first foul was well above the arc defending Arike.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
If geno recruits her to UConn knowing she has 3 more years left to develop her, he must see some sort of potential for her. I think she would likely contribute as a reserve if she was eligible next season and possibly prove herself to a starter position best case scenario.

yes it is. It’s the second most recent person she followed ...look at her twitter following. The list goes by people most recently followed.

No it isn't. UConn is way down the list. Also, she is nowhere to be found among recent followers of UConnwbb.

Following/Followers do not appear reverse chronologically (most recent first) when accessing twitter via an iphone, etc.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
No it isn't. UConn is way down the list. Also, she is nowhere to be found among recent followers of UConnwbb.

Following/Followers do not appear reverse chronologically (most recent first) when accessing twitter via an iphone, etc.

She was recently followed by DukeWBB on IG.

Reaction Score

Yes they do on the app. I quick google has multiple sites saying that it is reverse chronological. Either way time will tell! We shall see!

Reaction Score
If geno recruits her to UConn knowing she has 3 more years left to develop her, he must see some sort of potential for her. I think she would likely contribute as a reserve if she was eligible next season and possibly prove herself to a starter position best case scenario.

yes it is. It’s the second most recent person she followed ...look at her twitter following. The list goes by people most recently followed.
Would you say the same thing about Piath? We know that Geno recruited her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes they do on the app. I quick google has multiple sites saying that it is reverse chronological. Either way time will tell! We shall see!

If I look at "Following" for @UconnWBB on my Mac, #2 on the list is Caroline Ducharme. This makes sense as UConnWBB follows recruits after they commit. If you scroll down, the next recruit to appear is Amari DeBerry and then Aaliyah Edwards. If I access @UconnWBB on my iphone, and after excluding those I personally follow, the first person listed is ONO. I kept scrolling and couldn't find Ducharme.

I have no idea if UConn is interested in Cochrane. I doubt they are. Regardless, looking at Cochrane's twitter account doesn't tell us anything.

Reaction Score
As info. McGuire was a “sometime” starter who played limited minutes. As a freshman she started 24/36 games, averaging 16.5 mpg. As a sophomore McGuire’s numbers dropped to 19/38 starts, averaging only 15.6 mpg. The writing was on the walk, so she transferred to Boise St. where she started 31/32 games this season, averaging 24 mpg.
We don't know why she left. If the reason she left Oregon is the one you are suggesting -having to compete for minutes- then UCONN is definitely not the place for her. Oregon has lost highly ranked players before. Most notably Sierra Campisano and Mallory McGuire Same class as Sabrina. McGuire was a starter and that was an on an Elite 8 team.
McQuire transferred to Boise St. , Campisano transferred to Cal Poly.

Not two basketball power houses.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Nice try but, McQuire was a starter when Oregon played UCONN in the most important game of the season for a chance to get to FF.

Let me try to sort out the Oregon business here. As a freshman, Mallory McGwire was a starter on the Oregon team that was obliterated by UCONN in the Elite 8. She lost her starting job to Satou Sabally (then a freshman) in November of her sophomore year (after a loss to Mississippi State) and her minutes diminished accordingly. She transferred as a result (and perhaps also due to the news that Satou's sister would arrive the next year).

Oregon's "bigs" for 2020-21 will include one senior (Giomi), two redshirt sophomores (Prince and Sabally)--assuming the latter is finally healthy, and a freshman (Watson). I believe that the other 6'4" recruit (Dugalic) will play more on the wing, although it's possible she will play inside as well. I also think it's likely that Graves will use some sort of double post offense given the roster. Finally, since both have had to sit out for two years, I wouldn't be surprised if either Prince or Sabally (or both) go pro (assuming they are good enough and Graves certainly thinks they are) before using up all of their collegiate eligibility.

As for Cochrane, I think she has potential, but it will take time, and I am frankly a bit surprised that UCONN is interested (if that's really the case).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No she did not! She played the wing starting the offensive set behind the arc and she defended on the perimeter. Do you even know what a post or wing player is? If she ended up in the paint it was because she dropped down from the wing for help defense or an offensive rebound. She was a wing forward-Good lord!
Her first foul was well above the arc.
Yes she played on the wing, where she was matched up with both Lou & Pheesa, each 3x AA’s. Aaliyah also dropped down in the post and had occasion to switch off onto both Steph & Tina, taking hard physical shots from both. She hustled and she mixed it up in the paint.

Aaliyah is absolutely capable of playing the 5 in college, and playing it well. It won’t be her primary role in college or the pros, but if Gabby & Aubrey could play the 5, and they were both pg’s in HS, then Aaliyah is more than capable of playing the 5 in college if need be.

In any event, it looks like there is no mutual interest between Cochrane & UConn, so unless Liv plays 40 mpg, someone will have to back her up. Piath will take some time to develop, although I hope she’s able to give UConn some quality minutes by the second half of the season. Aubrey is likely to start the season at the 4, although whether she stays in the starting lineup could change. That leaves Aaliyah to backup both the 4/5 spots.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is very helpful. There is nothing in the video that makes me think she could be a contributor at UConn. She got several blocks based on height alone, where the player on offense did not shot fake or otherwise try to avoid the inevitable. Apart from that, the video shows nothing positive imnsho.
I thought she played better than Olivia.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For Pete’s sake, it’s a Lucy Cochrane highlight video, and a short one at that. Do you think she outplayed Liv for the entire game?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes she played on the wing, where she was matched up with both Lou & Pheesa, each 3x AA’s. Aaliyah also dropped down in the post and had occasion to switch off onto both Steph & Tina, taking hard physical shots from both. She hustled and she mixed it up in the paint.

Aaliyah is absolutely capable of playing the 5 in college, and playing it well. It won’t be her primary role in college or the pros, but if Gabby & Aubrey could play the 5, and they were both pg’s in HS, then Aaliyah is more than capable of playing the 5 in college if need be.
This reminds me of another low basketball IQ conversation from circa 2017 when someone proposed having KLS play center because after all she was only 1 inch shorter that Stewie and the tallest player on the team. If Alliyah Edwards is playing the 5 for UCONN at anytime during her UCONN career UCONN is in serious do do.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me try to sort out the Oregon business here. As a freshman, Mallory McGwire was a starter on the Oregon team that was obliterated by UCONN in the Elite 8.
As for Cochrane, I think she has potential, but it will take time, and I am frankly a bit surprised that UCONN is interested (if that's really the case).
I'm not sure there was ever anything to straighten out. I made two statements regarding McGuire both of which are factual and verifiable.
McGuire was a starter and that was an on an Elite 8 team.
Nice try but, McQuire was a starter when Oregon played UCONN in the most important game of the season for a chance to get to FF.
I posted the video to verify both statements. You will have to check with @oldude regarding any further confusement of his part. Regarding UCONN's interest in Cochrane-IDK nor have I ever stated I did. ! You might want to check with the poster who has stated "it looks like there is no mutual interest between Cochrane & UConn" as if ....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not sure there was ever anything to straighten out. I made two statements regarding McGuire both of which are factual and verifiable.

I posted the video to verify both statements. You will have to check with @oldude regarding any further confusement of his part. Regarding UCONN's interest in Cochrane-IDK nor have I ever stated I did. ! You might want to check with the poster who has stated "it looks like there is no mutual interest between Cochrane & UConn" as if ....
Confusement? I believe the word is confusion, which you seem to have on this subject. McGuire lost her starting spot during her sophomore year, after which she transferred, something you either were not aware of or chose to ignore.

Both jonson and I pointed that out, but you doggedly insist on pointing to her freshman season only, rather than simply acknowledging that the situation changed her sophomore season when she transferred to Boise St.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I believe next season will see the unveiling of Griffin's outside shot. Her mid range and three point shot.
Umm, not sure that she really has a 3 pt shot. If you have one, we should have already seen it as it's pretty tough to develop that at this stage of your career. I guess Jason Kidd eventually became a descent 3 point shooter after a while, just not sure that is what Aubrey should be focusing on. Give me a good mid-range that forces the defenders to sluff off worrying she blows by them and I will be happy. ;)

I have to say that I feel a little left out that no transfers have selected UConn, not that we need any per se' but with 500+ players in the portal, I feel like everyone else got something at the Buffet but I didn't (even if I am full)...just sayin...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Umm, not sure that she really has a 3 pt shot. If you have one, we should have already seen it as it's pretty tough to develop that at this stage of your career. I guess Jason Kidd eventually became a descent 3 point shooter after a while, just not sure that is what Aubrey should be focusing on. Give me a good mid-range that forces the defenders to sluff off worrying she blows by them and I will be happy. ;)

I have to say that I feel a little left out that no transfers have selected UConn, not that we need any per se' but with 500+ players in the portal, I feel like everyone else got something at the Buffet but I didn't (even if I am full)...just sayin...:rolleyes:
She had a three point shot in high school. Did she suddenly lose it. She was not, according to her, expected to shoot threes. This has been stated before. She said she was told to play defense, set screens, and rebound. She did those things pretty well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This reminds me of another low basketball IQ conversation from circa 2017 when someone proposed having KLS play center because after all she was only 1 inch shorter that Stewie and the tallest player on the team. If Alliyah Edwards is playing the 5 for UCONN at anytime during her UCONN career UCONN is in serious do do.
Yea, you’re right. UConn was in serious do do when 5’11” Gabby Williams played the 5 and the Huskies lost one game all season in the National Semifinals in OT, despite Gabby outplaying 6’7” Teira McGowan.

Reaction Score
It's a highlight video of Cochrane. I'm guessing that a highlight video of Liv would give a different impression. Based on that video alone, I would not waste breath arguing for UConn to pursue either one of them. However, (in case you missed it) that grainy footage is from four years ago. I'm pretty sure the coaches have more extensive and more up to date information than that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yea, you’re right. UConn was in serious do do when 5’11” Gabby Williams played the 5 and the Huskies lost one game all season in the National Semifinals in OT, despite Gabby outplaying 6’7” Teira McGowan.
You are confused again! It was 5'2" Itty bitty that hit the game winner over 5'11" Gabby. Maybe if Gabby was center sized that might not have happen? FF a year and 5'10 Arike is shooting her game winner over 6'1" Napheesa collier while 6'6" Azura stevens was sitting on the bench. FF two years and there is Jessicca Shepard uncontested at the basket over 6'2" Napheesa Collier. It is still basketball and part of your confusion is that taller is better especially if you talking about the center position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Of the 500 hundred + players in the portal probably less than a handful could help UCONN. UCONN shouldn't feel left out, it should feel exclusive because it is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are confused again! It was 5'2" Itty bitty that hit the game winner over 5'11" Gabby. Maybe if Gabby was center sized that might not have happen? FF a year and 5'10 Arike is shooting her game winner over 6'1" Napheesa collier while 6'6" Azura stevens was sitting on the bench. FF two years and there is Jessicca Shepard uncontested at the basket over 6'2" Napheesa Collier. It is still basketball and part of your confusion is that taller is better especially if you talking about the center position.
Once again, you practice distraction and obfuscation rather then addressing the question. Gabby played the 5 all season at 5’11”, earning AA recognition while leading UConn to the FF, which you have previously suggested is the benchmark for a successful season.

I know it’s a challenge for you, but it’s really helpful if you stay on point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Once again, you practice distraction and obfuscation rather then addressing the question. Gabby played the 5 all season at 5’11”, earning AA recognition while leading UConn to the FF, which you have previously suggested is the benchmark for a successful season.
I know it’s a challenge for you, but it’s really helpful if you stay on point.
I will stay on point as soon as you make one! Still confused?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In any event, it looks like there is no mutual interest between Cochrane & UConn, so unless Liv plays 40 mpg, someone will have to back her up.
Are you basing this on something posted or is this yet another rectal extraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom