Transfer thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As info. McGuire was a “sometime” starter who played limited minutes. As a freshman she started 24/36 games, averaging 16.5 mpg. As a sophomore McGuire’s numbers dropped to 19/38 starts, averaging only 15.6 mpg. The writing was on the walk, so she transferred to Boise St. where she started 31/32 games this season, averaging 24 mpg.
Nice try but, McQuire was a starter when Oregon played UCONN in the most important game of the season for a chance to get to FF.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LOL!
ONO + Edwards + Paith= 1.5 BIGS and a project!
"Players playing much bigger than thier actual height"-really? How much bigger?
Of course it's up to Geno what a cop out. Geno has effective used 3 bigs in a line up before. Dolson, Stewie, Stokes. Stokes, Stewie, Tuck.
I don’t get why some folks think it’s a good idea to bring in BIGs via transfer, who haven’t even demonstrated the ability to play meaningful minutes, may not even be eligible next season when you’ve got your own recruits in the same boat. I’ve watched Cochrane in film, and she is still a project, just like Piath. Even if she’s eligible this coming season, I doubt she will provide any more meaningful minutes then Piath, and certainly not more than Aliyah or Aubrey.

As for Stewie, Kiah & Steph, yes they all played together on the court during the 2013-14 season. But the key to that combination was Stewie, who was capable of moving to the small forward position because she could handle the ball on the perimeter and was capable of guarding smaller, quicker players. You find me another Stewie and I’m fine with having another Big in the roster.

Reaction Score
You recruit the best possible players you can. Period. You never stop recruiting. You recruit everyday.

If Fudd comes to UConn, the you might get Rivers, Feagin, and Iriafen to commit. Then what? There are plenty of ways to make room on your roster. No one is coming to UConn, or any college, until they have signed their Athletic Grant-in-Aid and their National Letter of Intent. Geno never comments on UConn commits. If a student-athlete commits to a school, is the school committed to them? November 13
For the integrity of UConn, I would hope they would always honor their commitment.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You find me another Stewie and I’m fine with having another Big in the roster.
1587394057965.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice try but, McQuire was a starter when Oregon played UCONN in the most important game of the season for a chance to get to FF.

Yes. That was in her freshman year. As I pointed out, her number of starts and minutes dropped off in her sophomore year, which is when she decided to transfer from OR to Boise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes really.

But let’s boil this down to two simple questions. Assuming that Cochrane transfers to UConn and becomes eligible this coming season, do you believe she will be more effective at the 5, as a reserve, than either Aubrey, Aaliyah or Piath?

Second question. In the long run, do you believe that Cochrane will be better than Piath? Because the way I see it, while Cochrane’s basic basketball skills are slightly better at this time, Piath is much stronger and runs the court better than Cochrane right now, and has a greater upside under the UConn coaching staff.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes really.

But let’s boil this down to two simple questions. Assuming that Cochrane transfers to UConn and becomes eligible this coming season, do you believe she will be more effective at the 5, as a reserve, than either Aubrey, Aaliyah or Piath?

Second question. In the long run, do you believe that Cochrane will be better than Piath? Because the way I see it, while Cochrane’s basic basketball skills are slightly better at this time, Piath is much stronger and runs the court better than Cochrane right now, and has a greater upside under the UConn coaching staff.
Yes.
Yes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes.
Yes.
Time will tell. But even if Cochrane does not end up at Storrs, it will be interesting to watch her development over the next few seasons vis a vis Piath’s development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Time will tell. But even if Cochrane does not end up at Storrs, it will be interesting to watch her development over the next few seasons vis a vis Piath’s development.
I'll be watching and very interested in Piath's development. If Lucy doesn't come to UCONN I will not care about her development. BTW I'm still laughing at your proposed concept of Aubrey and Aaliyah playing the 5 in a reserve role -that is high comedy right there!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll be watching and very interested in Piath's development. If Lucy doesn't come to UCONN I will not care about her development. BTW I'm still laughing at your proposed concept of Aubrey and Aaliyah playing the 5 in a reserve role -that is high comedy right there!
I acknowledge that Aubrey playing the 5 is not ideal, but neither was Gabby or Pheesa, and they both did pretty well. As for Aaliyah, her ability to bang with the Bigs on USA Basketball leads me to believe that she can more than hold her own against most of the Bigs at the college level in the US.

Reaction Score
Yes really.

If geno recruits her to UConn knowing she has 3 more years left to develop her, he must see some sort of potential for her. I think she would likely contribute as a reserve if she was eligible next season and possibly prove herself to a starter position best case scenario.
It's not recent.
yes it is. It’s the second most recent person she followed ...look at her twitter following. The list goes by people most recently followed.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I acknowledge that Aubrey playing the 5 is not ideal, but neither was Gabby or Pheesa, and they both did pretty well. As for Aaliyah, her ability to bang with the Bigs on USA Basketball leads me to believe that she can more than hold her own against most of the Bigs at the college level in the US.
Uhm... Aaliyah was wing forward at 2019 AmericaCup. Why would she be banging in the post with USA bigs when Team Canada had Ruth Hamlin and 2 other post players that were 6'4"?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Uhm... Aaliyah was wing forward at 2019 AmericaCup. Why would she be banging in the post with USA bigs when Team Canada had Ruth Hamlin and 2 other post players that were 6'4"?

In the game you posted, Aaliyah spent a good deal of time in the paint, rebounding and defending against veteran USA posts. In the minutes she played, she was effective and she wasn’t intimidated, even when she was blindsided by one of Steph’s patented screens.

I’m not suggesting that Aaliyah needs to play 30 mpg at the post. I think she’ll get more minutes at the 4. But as a backup for Liv for 10-15 mpg, against college level competition, she will be effective.

Reaction Score
In the game you posted, Aaliyah spent a good deal of time in the paint, rebounding and defending against veteran USA posts. In the minutes she played, she was effective and she wasn’t intimidated, even when she was blindsided by one of Steph’s patented screens.

I’m not suggesting that Aaliyah needs to play 30 mpg at the post. I think she’ll get more minutes at the 4. But as a backup for Liv for 10-15 mpg, against college level competition, she will be effective.
Think she'll hit the ground, or court, runnin', and won't look back. Expect her to much more than effective, even next year - (and, yes, I'm well aware of Geno's record with Freshman) - the bit more agressive and physical PF we've missed. Next season can't get here soon enough!;)

Reaction Score
The ongoing discussion of "bigs" is bordering on the nonsensical. The definition of what or who is a big is constantly shifting. At times if seems to refer to only centers or "5's," other times it's anyone 6'2" or taller, other times it encompasses power forwards or anyone who has ever played at the 4 spot, and any possible combination of the above. So we end up with arguments about whether or not an individual player is a "big" or can play as a "big." Or declarations that we can't have more than three "bigs" on the team at one time. I would have thought (hoped) that with the many intelligent posters on the Boneyard we would have long moved past this "big" discussion. Oh well, one can hope.

Reaction Score
I don’t get why some folks think it’s a good idea to bring in BIGs via transfer, who haven’t even demonstrated the ability to play meaningful minutes, may not even be eligible next season when you’ve got your own recruits in the same boat. I’ve watched Cochrane in film, and she is still a project, just like Piath. Even if she’s eligible this coming season, I doubt she will provide any more meaningful minutes then Piath, and certainly not more than Aliyah or Aubrey.

As for Stewie, Kiah & Steph, yes they all played together on the court during the 2013-14 season. But the key to that combination was Stewie, who was capable of moving to the small forward position because she could handle the ball on the perimeter and was capable of guarding smaller, quicker players. You find me another Stewie and I’m fine with having another Big in the roster.
I think the plan is that Edwards has that ability to move between the SF and PF roles.

Reaction Score
Umm. That has been the problem recently, thinking an Aubrey type player can effectively play the 5/C position. She is a G/SF who can at times fill the role of a PF but she shouldn't be expected to play the 5/C.

Reaction Score
Pretty well is not a national championship! We need multiple 6'3" and taller in the paint players on the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If geno recruits her to UConn knowing she has 3 more years left to develop her, he must see some sort of potential for her. I think she would likely contribute as a reserve if she was eligible next season and possibly prove herself to a starter position best case scenario.
I agree, but at this point we don’t know if Geno has contacted her or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom