Transfer thread | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are you basing this on something posted or is this yet another rectal extraction.
You’re almost funny...but not quite. Just read back through all the posts on Cochrane and even you should be able to figure it out.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It's a highlight video of Cochrane. I'm guessing that a highlight video of Liv would give a different impression. Based on that video alone, I would not waste breath arguing for UConn to pursue either one of them. However, (in case you missed it) that grainy footage is from four years ago. I'm pretty sure the coaches have more extensive and more up to date information than that.
I found the game online and watched it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I found the game online and watched it.
Lucy was at best the 5th best post player in that game.
I watched the game live and on replay and barely remembered Lucy.
Ezi Macbegor was the best post in that game.
Liv was probably second best.
Janelle Bailey from UNC was probably Rd
Maya Dotson at Stanford spend some time in the post and was effective.
@Crossover had a valid point that it was Lucy "highlight" tape and the coaches will not be basing thier evaluation from play that was 4 years ago.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of another low basketball IQ conversation from circa 2017 when someone proposed having KLS play center because after all she was only 1 inch shorter that Stewie and the tallest player on the team. If Alliyah Edwards is playing the 5 for UCONN at anytime during her UCONN career UCONN is in serious do do.

I don't think Edwards is a 5 either but who backed up ONO this year and who played the 5 in 2017 and 2018? They were a lot less qualified physically than Edwards, who looks like she has better upper body strength than ONO right now. And in an aside, if KLS had spent more time in the weight room she might have become as skilled inside as she was outside.
I don't think many teams have a backup 5. Mostly it's a 4 doing it. And coaches just devise a way to play without a true 5. UConn did it for 2 years with Gabby Williams and Collier sharing the job of defending the post when Stevens and Butler left. I don't think the 2003 team had a center.
I don't see Edwards being ready for the job next season and until we get Brady, who may be a pf that can handle the 5, we won't have a classic pf who can backup at the 5. Remember, Charles was listed at 6'4" but she was more like 6'2" or 6'3".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Edwards is a 5 either but who backed up ONO this year and who played the 5 in 2017 and 2018? They were a lot less qualified physically than Edwards, who looks like she has better upper body strength than ONO right now. And in an aside, if KLS had spent more time in the weight room she might have become as skilled inside as she was outside.
I don't think many teams have a backup 5. Mostly it's a 4 doing it. And coaches just devise a way to play without a true 5. UConn did it for 2 years with Gabby Williams and Collier sharing the job of defending the post when Stevens and Butler left. I don't think the 2003 team had a center.
I don't see Edwards being ready for the job next season and until we get Brady, who may be a pf that can handle the 5, we won't have a classic pf who can backup at the 5. Remember, Charles was listed at 6'4" but she was more like 6'2" or 6'3".
Edwards - having physical skills now? Maybe. Having enough experience as frosh? No. Give her 2-3 years and she will do fine against most 4's and 5's except Boston. Assuming Boston stays in shape, I don't know of anyone who provides a good match up (but that is another story for a different thread).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Edwards - having physical skills now? Maybe. Having enough experience as frosh? No. Give her 2-3 years and she will do fine against most 4's and 5's except Boston. Assuming Boston stays in shape, I don't know of anyone who provides a good match up (but that is another story for a different thread).
So who would you put in if Liv needs a break or gets into foul trouble? You will have to choose one of the freshmen, because there is no one else at this point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So who would you put in if Liv needs a break or gets into foul trouble? You will have to choose one of the freshmen, because there is no one else at this point.
That is kinda the point isn't it!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is kinda the point isn't it!
Exactly. I don’t think the cavalry is coming via the transfer portal, so the freshmen would have to be the answer. There may be some stumbles early on, as their was with Anna & Aubrey this past season, but giving the youngsters some prime time minutes early, and coaching them up should have a payoff by the end of the season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2003 had Barb Turner, Willnett Crocket, and Jessica Moore up front.
2020-21 will have NOBODY as good as any in that 2003 trio-N O B O D Y! Pun intended.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly. I don’t think the cavalry is coming via the transfer portal, so the freshmen would have to be the answer. There may be some stumbles early on, as their was with Anna & Aubrey this past season, but giving the youngsters some prime time minutes early, and coaching them up should have a payoff by the end of the season.
Maybe you should let Geno know that he wasting his time "looking at a couple kids" in the portal then.

Reaction Score
2020-21 will have NOBODY as good as any in that 2003 trio-N O B O D Y! Pun intended.

You honestly don’t think ONO is as good as Jessica Moore?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You honestly don’t think Ono is as good as Jessica Moore?
Nope, I don't think ONO is as good as RS Junior Jessica Moore was in 2003. Jessica shot 65% that season.

Reaction Score
Nope, I don't think ONO is as good as RS Junior Jessica Moore was in 2003. Jessica shot 65% that season.

In Jessica's junior season she averaged 9.5/7.1 while ONO averaged 11.0/8.5 last year. I think ONO is at least as good as Jessica Moore, and I think she will be better as a Junior (assuming we have a season).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In Jessica's junior season she averaged 9.5/7.1 while ONO averaged 11.0/8.5 last year. I think ONO is at least as good as Jessica Moore, and I think she will be better as a Junior (assuming we have a season).
Jessica Moore was stronger than ONO, more mobile and athletic and an infinitely better finisher than ONO-minus that 1 layup Jessica blew on that spectacular over the head no look pass from DT. Jessica was also not nearly as foul prone as ONO. Glad you posted ONO numbers another stat is that she did this in 26.4 MPG due mostly to foul trouble and was MIA during key stretches of major games. ONO is a solid player but has yet to show she can be a foundation piece of a Championship team. I find it ironic that people don't think ONO needs a backup or a player to push her in practices.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe you should let Geno know that he wasting his time "looking at a couple kids" in the portal then.
If Geno can get a grad transfer who can contribute right away, that would be fine. But with no decision on immediate eligibility for undergraduate transfers, I cannot forsee any player in the portal worth waiting for 2 seasons, with all the talent lined up to come to Storrs over the next few seasons.

I view UConn’s situation much the same as SC this past season. We may all forget the fact that SC had a preseason ranking of 8th (AP) and 10th (Coaches). The SEC Coaches picked the Gamecocks to finish 2nd in the SEC behind A&M.

SC fielded a team of 11 players (5 freshmen). They could not secure a waiver for Littleton from TX. Harrigan was talked into staying after initially placing her name in the transfer portal. Harris was a very good pg, but few saw her having the incredible season that she did. The rest of the returning players were largely role players.

Dawn made the decision to plug in 3 talented freshmen at the start of the season which accelerated the learning curve. While SC had there ups and downs, including a surprising loss to IN, by the end of the season the Gamecocks were #1 in both polls.

Reaction Score
Jessica Moore was stronger than ONO, more mobile and athletic and an infinitely better finisher than ONO-minus that 1 layup Jessica blew on that spectacular over the head no look pass from DT. Jessica was also not nearly as foul prone as ONO. Glad you posted ONO numbers another stat is that she did this in 26.4 MPG due mostly to foul trouble and was MIA during key stretches of major games. ONO is a solid player but has yet to show she can be a foundation piece of a Championship team. I find it ironic that people don't think ONO needs a backup or a player to push her in practices.

I stand by my statement, which you helpfully highlighted. And my comment is confined to whether ONO is better than Moore, not whether ONO needs a backup.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I view UConn’s situation much the same as SC this past season.
SC fielded a team of 11 players (5 freshmen). They could not secure a waiver for Littleton from TX. Harrigan was talked into staying after initially placing her name in the transfer portal. Harris was a very good pg, but few saw her having the incredible season that she did. The rest of the returning players were largely role players.
Many here would agree with you if only UCONN incoming class included a post player the caliber of Boston and the last 7 pages of this thread would have been unnecessary. It doesn't!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Many here would agree with you if only UCONN incoming class included a post player the caliber of Boston and the last 7 pages of this thread would have been unnecessary. It doesn't!
Your point is correct and reminiscent of my suggestion to you the other day that if you had a Big of Stewie’s talent & versatility, you could play 3 BIGs at the same time. As we don’t have a freshman the caliber of Boston, your suggestion Is moot. Therefore, in the immortal words of Coach Norman Dale, “I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not,” unless of course Jimmy Chitwood has a daughter who might show up in Storrs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your point is correct and reminiscent of my suggestion to you the other day that if you had a Big of Stewie’s talent & versatility, you could play 3 BIGs at the same time. As we don’t have a freshman the caliber of Boston, your suggestion Is moot. Therefore, in the immortal words of Coach Norman Dale, “I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not,” unless of course Jimmy Chitwood has a daughter who might show up in Storrs.
:eek: Chitwood's daughter is a guard, when she shows up in Storrs I'll support what we do as long as we don't try to make her into a post.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:eek: Chitwood's daughter is a guard, when she shows up in Storrs I'll support what we do as long as we don't try to make her into a post.
Maybe Chitwood's daughter is friends with Strap Purl's daughter, and both of them will end up in Storrs....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There are many posters who
agreed. Those teams (03,04) were built around Diana but she definitely did not do it on her own. Jessica is 6’2 and ONO is 6’5, she more than held her own to be a shorter post.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...and this is how a transfer thread goes off the rails. :confused:

Is there any news on the Oregon Aussie and her supposed interest in UConn? I know there was some discussion whether Lucy's social media following was truly recent or reciprocal with UConn but I never saw the definitive answer on that.. AND I don't mean to start another heated exchange....Thoughts? :)

Reaction Score
Presently half the team will be freshmen so basically anyone with foul trouble, an injury, or needs a breather will be replaced by a freshman. It works for the college guys and it worked for South Carolina this past year so we'll see how it works for us..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom