Transfer Thread Pt 2..... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Transfer Thread Pt 2.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nonsense. If I didn't know better, just by looking at the two coaches this year, I say Geno is carrying more pressure from NOT winning the championship than Dawn is from winning it. Good thing I know better and so should you. Dawn expectations of repeating went down drastically with Davis and Gray going to WNBA. UCONN's chances went up greatly once Azura became eligible. Both are capable coaches there is no pressure from increased expectations.

I agree Geno is carrying and showing signs of pressure but I think it has more to do with winning a championship this season than not winning last season. Geno is all about making sure his seniors go out with a championship but I think the pressure he is putting on himself is heightened because it's Gabby. I think he has special feelings for Gabby and what's she's given this program. Plus, unlike Kia, Gabby really didn't play a big role in her two championships and I think Geno wants one that she has more ownership in. Losing last year adds to the pressure for sure, but everything now is about winning this year for Gabby.

For Dawn, she has a once-in-a-lifetime player in Wilson and her talent level drops beginning next season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It is an interesting premise that Geno cares about getting Gabby a title though not sure he "cares" about Gabby more than Kia as both have been unbelievable teammates, players and people at UConn. To me, Geno knows he will always have a target on his back and has lived with that quite comfortably for the past 20+ years since he called out Tenn in 1995 and knows as the Keystone team of WCBB, he needs to champion and handle the expectations. This is all new territory for Dawn as she needed to elbow her way up the ladder and while she did use the "us against the world" stance for her team on trying to be a regular at the Final Four, this year she does have teams circling the calendar when they play SC. We here at BY know this is a top 8 program but will be lucky to get to a Final Four this year. Dawn may or may not know she is short on the talent scale and must find what ever edge she can to get this team back there to defend. I also think she has heard from more than a few naysayers that her title comes with an asterisk and that too rankles her. To me, not title comes with an asterisk, you beat who you play and control your destiny. Those that impune a title simply are a tad bitter or naive and I wish she would just smile and move on.
Her Te'a Cooper stance is without merit as I have stated numerous times. I will be shocked if the NCAA allows her to play this year. I do see them granting a 6th year to play as she did have some unusual, though self-inflicted issues.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is an interesting premise that Geno cares about getting Gabby a title though not sure he "cares" about Gabby more than Kia as both have been unbelievable teammates, players and people at UConn.
Don't think is a question of Geno having more love for Gabby than Kia. The premise is defined by an important role in winning a Championship. Kia actually accomplished that because she was a Freshmen starter on a Championship team and as a Sophomore hit some really big shots to knock out ND. Kia has had signature moments in a Championship run Gabby has not really had that yet.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Don't think is a question of Geno having more love for Gabby than Kia. The premise is defined by an important role in winning a Championship. Kia actually accomplished that because she was a Freshmen starter on a Championship team and as a Sophomore hit some really big shots to knock out ND. Kia has had signature moments in a Championship run Gabby has not really had that yet.

Exactly my point.

Reaction Score
While I'm all over this issue in other threads I've missed the discussion here.

I've implored Dawn to stop begging. This is just not a good look for her and I can not figure why she's going down this path. As @Phil and I discussed at the Temple game, it's not like Dawn doesn't know the phone number of folks at the NCAA. I don't think ex parte communications are prohibited. Why go public in this way? Calling out other schools for lying? She's lost her mind on this one and may have positioned it so that the NCAA would look worse (if possible) by granting the waiver.

As I said to Phil on Sunday, imagine if Geno were engaging in this sort of public bashing of the NCAA just to have a player declared eligible. Voepel and others would be all over it. Yet, nary a word from the national media.

I'm with @Charliebball on this one. Maybe the pressure of winning in Wilson's senior year is behind this. That and approval of the Shepard waiver (a head scratcher for sure) seem to have irked Dawn.

you have to understand that Dawn is being asked these questions by beat reporters before or after practice. She's not convening a press conference or sitting at a podium to hold forth on these issues. She's answering the question.

It was puzzling that she chose to wait so long to apply for the waiver and someone in USC's compliance department gave her some advice that doesn't seem to have been particularly good. Since she was under the impression they would get a quick answer, she is frustrated and it spills over when she is repeatedly asked about it. Personally, it seems to me like it is effectively too late for Cooper to make much of a difference, but who knows.

I realize this is essentially a rival team's board based on South Carolina's rise and that's fine. But honestly, making mountains out of mole hills I think.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I realize this is essentially a rival team's board based on South Carolina's rise and that's fine. But honestly, making mountains out of mole hills I think.
Technically speaking, this is not really a rival team's board until the Gamecocks finally beat the Huskies. Maybe after next week. ;)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
you have to understand that Dawn is being asked these questions by beat reporters before or after practice. She's not convening a press conference or sitting at a podium to hold forth on these issues. She's answering the question.

It was puzzling that she chose to wait so long to apply for the waiver and someone in USC's compliance department gave her some advice that doesn't seem to have been particularly good. Since she was under the impression they would get a quick answer, she is frustrated and it spills over when she is repeatedly asked about it. Personally, it seems to me like it is effectively too late for Cooper to make much of a difference, but who knows.

I understand that Dawn is asked about the waiver petition by the local beat writers but she's the one who raised the expectations about when the NCAA would act. She's also the one who suggested that Shepard's petition was granted because of Notre Dame's numerous injuries. She's also the one who said that some schools lie to get waivers approved. No amount of questioning has forced Dawn to say the things she's said. That's on Dawn.

Reaction Score
I understand that Dawn is asked about the waiver petition by the local beat writers but she's the one who raised the expectations about when the NCAA would act. She's also the one who suggested that Shepard's petition was granted because of Notre Dame's numerous injuries. She's also the one who said that some schools lie to get waivers approved. No amount of questioning has forced Dawn to say the things she's said. That's on Dawn.

If all of that was true, would it actually matter a bit? It's just not a big deal.

Reaction Score

So she answers the local beat reporters with basically an open letter to the NCAA on Twitter? I agree no big deal, but just sayin’.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
UConn transfer Andra Espinoza-Hunter is considering Duke, Louisville, Mississippi State, USC (Southern Cal), Michigan and Ohio State according to her former high school coach on twitter.

She plans to visit all six schools very soon.

I think Michigan would be a good fit for her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
UConn transfer Andra Espinoza-Hunter is considering Duke, Louisville, Mississippi State, USC (Southern Cal), Michigan and Ohio State according to her former high school coach on twitter.

So would MSS.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

A rather interesting and disparate collection of schools.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A rather interesting and disparate collection of schools.
Agree. Also believes that after sitting a year AEH is looking at starting at most of those schools. Only exception might be Louisville if Green sticks with her committment to the Cards.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

What position does she play? Height?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What position does she play? Height?

5’11ish shooting guard.. really good scorer. Not the best defender but seems like a very coachable kid.

Would do very well under a coach like Vic Schaefer or Walz.. defensive-minded coaches.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
5’11ish shooting guard.. really good scorer. Not the best defender but seems like a very coachable kid.

Would do very well under a coach like Vic Schaefer or Walz.. defensive-minded coaches.

Looked it up, and saw that she is from NY. That would be quite a culture shock for her if she ended up in Starkville MS :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nonsense. If I didn't know better, just by looking at the two coaches this year, I say Geno is carrying more pressure from NOT winning the championship than Dawn is from winning it. Good thing I know better and so should you. Dawn expectations of repeating went down drastically with Davis and Gray going to WNBA. UCONN's chances went up greatly once Azura became eligible. Both are capable coaches there is no pressure from increased expectations.

I think I agree with your message if you are saying Geno is feeling pressure--this whole Transfer thing and the Tulsa game --Geno's face while discussing both showed more stress and mental pain than I have seen in 30 plus years of watching everything Geno. Is this related to the NC last year? Who knows.

You are a person of character and integrity --the NONSENCE usage is not one I'd expect from a person of your character. It's a trigger word for me.

Reaction Score
While I'm all over this issue in other threads I've missed the discussion here.

I've implored Dawn to stop begging. This is just not a good look for her and I can not figure why she's going down this path. As @Phil and I discussed at the Temple game, it's not like Dawn doesn't know the phone number of folks at the NCAA. I don't think ex parte communications are prohibited. Why go public in this way? Calling out other schools for lying? She's lost her mind on this one and may have positioned it so that the NCAA would look worse (if possible) by granting the waiver.

As I said to Phil on Sunday, imagine if Geno were engaging in this sort of public bashing of the NCAA just to have a player declared eligible. Voepel and others would be all over it. Yet, nary a word from the national media.

I'm with @Charliebball on this one. Maybe the pressure of winning in Wilson's senior year is behind this. That and approval of the Shepard waiver (a head scratcher for sure) seem to have irked Dawn

I have posted that Dawn is just poking the lion (NCAA) , they are all powerful, give them reasons to do it don't rant and allow them an out. I believe her waiver didn't have much merit and as the year dragged on less and less. However, if I am Dawn needing help to get back to the FF--I'd pull out all the stops. I'm not sure she suggested ND lied(--a moot point now) even had they, the decision was with the NCAA not ND--as Dawn is now finding. I believe all things Geno and Christine are done with dignity--I'd be shocked should Geno follow Dawns road.

Reaction Score
I dont know - if AEH had issues with Geno, she might have similar issues with Schaefer. And I agree that the location would be culture shock. My betting would be Ohio State or USC for a more free-form type program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think I agree with your message if you are saying Geno is feeling pressure--this whole Transfer thing and the Tulsa game --Geno's face while discussing both showed more stress and mental pain than I have seen in 30 plus years of watching everything Geno. Is this related to the NC last year? Who knows.

You are a person of character and integrity --the NONSENCE usage is not one I'd expect from a person of your character. It's a trigger word for me.
I sincerely reget the use of that word and very much appreciate your guidance.

Reaction Score
I sincerely reget the use of that word and very much appreciate your guidance.
The day you need or want "my guidance" on anything --a certain place will freeze over. The opposite is regularly true. As I stated you are a person of Character and integrity--in this case compassion, thank you.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Good to see her finally get some playing time..... I'd never seen her in anything but warmups. She grabbed 2 rebounds and scored 2 points in 6 minutes of playing time. Im willing to bet she gets minutes vs the physical GT team this Thursday

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom