Transfer Portal | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thank lord nobody here is the coach of our program.

I don't agree that everybody on the roster needs to be able to hit 3s. If you have a PG who can't shoot 3s and you want 4 3-point shooters on the floor for 40 minutes, you can go small or play a big who can stretch the floor.

If your point is that we shouldn't take any non-centers who aren't good 3-point shooters, I don't agree.

Wasn't saying a guy like Curbelo should get 30 minutes a game. Just not ready to dismiss out of hand a guy who was considered a 1st round talent before his concussion.
We already have Sanogo on the team who can't shoot 3's and that fine. But that means you need to surround him with 4 guys who can. There's a reason why traditional centers don't exist anymore in the NBA. The game has changed completely in the last 10 years. If you can't shoot from 3, you're a dinosaur. If you have multiple guys on the court who can't shoot from 3, you're at a huge disadvantage

Reaction Score
Thank lord nobody here is the coach of our program.

I don't agree that everybody on the roster needs to be able to hit 3s. If you have a PG who can't shoot 3s and you want 4 3-point shooters on the floor for 40 minutes, you can go small or play a big who can stretch the floor.

If your point is that we shouldn't take any non-centers who aren't good 3-point shooters, I don't agree.

Wasn't saying a guy like Curbelo should get 30 minutes a game. Just not ready to dismiss out of hand a guy who was considered a 1st round talent before his concussion.
But you're missing the point. We already have 2 non-shooters locked into our starting lineup. That's the reason we need to make sure anyone we add can shoot

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that if Gaffney and Diggins were in the portal from another school, at this point, we’d likely be recruiting them

Did Dan tell you that?

Let's make a bet. I bet you that whoever we bring in from the portal has better stats than Diggins or Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Did Dan tell you that?

Let's make a bet. I bet you that whoever we bring in from the portal has better stats than Diggins or Gaffney.
agreed. the two starting Gs we NEED to land will be better. the question is whether the backup PG we also need to land will be better. but digg and gaff didnt want to be backups so it's a moot point.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that if Gaffney and Diggins were in the portal from another school, at this point, we’d likely be recruiting them

So people really do think that the end result here will be that we end up with some point guard who barely saw the court at his previous school?

What exactly is going to be the reaction here when we inevitably land a point guard in the portal who is clearly better than these guys?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

The type of players we're being linked to are nothing like Gaffney and Diggins. It seems like we're targeting proven guys.

I don't mind also reaching out to Diggins-like guys if we've done our due diligence and just think another staff totally blew it with a kid. Talent is talent and we need multiple guys at the PG position. But it seems that the priority is rightfully on getting plug-and-play guys.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The type of players we're being linked to are nothing like Gaffney and Diggins. It seems like we're targeting proven guys.

I don't mind also reaching out to Diggins-like guys if we've done our due diligence and just think another staff totally blew it with a kid. Talent is talent and we need multiple guys at the PG position. But it seems that the priority is rightfully on getting plug-and-play guys.
So what high major impact transfer wants to come here to play second fiddle to Andre Jackson?

And what mid major impact transfer wants to come here and be told Andre Jackson/Floyd/Hawkins are the starting guards?

It’s going to be difficult to recruit great players for bench rolls.

Reaction Score
So what high major impact transfer wants to come here to play second fiddle to Andre Jackson?

And what mid major impact transfer wants to come here and be told Andre Jackson/Floyd/Hawkins are the starting guards?

Starting PG slot is wide open.

Reaction Score
Um, no we wouldn't. If Hurley saw a future for them here at UConn they wouldn't be in the portal.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Um, no we wouldn't. If Hurley saw a future for them here at UConn they wouldn't be in the portal.

It was a joke.

And not for nothing, but Hurley saw a future for Jalen yesterday, didn’t he? Sounds like he saw a future for Diggins, too, but neither kid wanted to be here anymore.

But I am told it is fine, so it’s fine.

Reaction Score
So people really do think that the end result here will be that we end up with some point guard who barely saw the court at his previous school?

What exactly is going to be the reaction here IF we inevitably land a point guard in the portal who is clearly better than these guys?
ftfy

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson.

Then a starting wing spot is wide open.

I count 2 spots that are wide open in the lineup right now.

The only 3 guys I feel pretty good saying are starters right now are Hawkins, Jackson and sanogo

Reaction Score

hawk, aj, and sanogo are starting, floyd is not, so we have 2 starting spots open
Andre Jackson.
he literally said he needs to bring in 2 starting Gs, including a PG, at his conference yesterday.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
floyd is not starting we have 2 starting spots open

he literally said he needs to bring in 2 starting Gs, including a PG, at his conference yesterday
He has to say that or you strike out with every transfer.

Reaction Score
It was a joke.

And not for nothing, but Hurley saw a future for Jalen yesterday, didn’t he? Sounds like he saw a future for Diggins, too, but neither kid wanted to be here anymore.

No, he said he saw a future for Jalen at UConn.

You know how people lie or tell a partial truth?

Reaction Score
And this is what makes me a bit nervous, they’re recruiting multiple positions in the portal against some fierce competition. Hurleys recruiting style is more suited for getting high schoolers than portal type guys where they have longer periods of time to get to know the kids and get them on campus and such. Having to rely on getting skilled, Big East starting level guards isn’t going to be easy. I’m hopeful, but it’s not a given they find exactly what it is they need. They’ll get players, question is will they be good enough day 1 starters to elevate the team?
True, the competition will be fierce.

It may well come down to the compatibility of Hurley and the staff with the individual portal recruits , or if the recruits like Connecticut the state, because of friends or relatives here or some other connection like friendship with an existing player on the team.

We got Rudy Johnson years ago because he had an Aunt living in CT as I recall.

Who knows?

Reaction Score
It was a joke.

Was Hurley supposed to say that he sees no future for those guys? Let's not pretend we know how the end of season player meetings went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom