Transfer Portal | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23-24
Reaction Score
He’s in portal??? You aren’t kidding - looked like a star can do it all. And really played hard on a team that didn’t always. Wish the refs hadn’t screwed them they were a fun watch.

He's not in it yet.

He has entered his name into the draft but if he does return to college he will not be returning to Memphis. He definitely has the talent to impress at individual workouts and could get himself a guaranteed contract even as a second rounder I would think. It just depends. I think another year of college in the right situation and he could play himself into the lottery. He has that kind of potential.
The biggest knock was his 14.5% three point shooting, but I am 100% confident he is a much better shooter than that lol. Memphis doesn't have a system. He didn't get consistent minutes to ever get into a flow.

Either way, if he doesn't get drafted, I want him here!

Reaction Score
I don't get this at all. If not for a freak one time rule change, he probably would have started or played major minutes as a freshman. I really think the NCAA made a mistake with that extra year. I am glad Martin and Cole didn't take advantage of it, it screws up the natural progression of the roster. Johnson can absolutely be the guy. I expect about 12-8 with two blocks from him.
I think DH made a mistake with the extra year policy. Of course it is easy to be a Monday morning quarterback

Reaction Score

This is the Oregon State guard we should be chasing. Very good shooter

I'd be very excited to get Jarod Lucas.

6'3 195 two-guard with nearly 1000 points in the Pac-12.

Last year, averaged 13.5 ppg with career rates of 38 3p% and about 2/3rds of his shots from three.

Here's what Three Man Weave wrote about him in September:

Lucas is OSU’s returning leading scorer, and he proved he could score off the bounce and create off ball screens when called upon. A 39% 3P shooter last season, Lucas is best off the ball where he can pop off screens and catch-and-fire. Hunt should take over PG duties after turning in a good assist rate last year and a manageable TO rate. He too shot well from deep, knocking down 37% of his 3PA, and doubled as a solid on-ball defender. The quick lefty guard should be primed for a major step up in production this season.

I'd sign up for a Lucas/Davis pairing.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Noah Taitz from Stanford could come provide some PG depth and shooting.
Tre Jackson from Iowa St another option.

Reaction Score
The Athletic has a list of top transfers and uncommitted Srs

6. Tristen Newton | 6-5 guard | sophomore | East Carolina

Unquestionably one of the best offensive creators this year in the American Athletic Conference, Newton departs East Carolina following the changeover in head coach from Joe Dooley to Mike Schwartz. He averaged 17.7 points, five rebounds and five assists last year, possessing the ability to play both on and off the ball as a lead or secondary offensive creator. He’s still really skinny, but he reads the floor and will be significantly helped by playing with better players around him than he had at East Carolina. He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly. He’s conscientious on defense and knows where he needs to be rotationally and helps generally despite his skinny frame. But more than that, he’s twitchy but plays with great pace off the bounce. He can attack the basket and finish. As a shooter, he’s got a good set shot and looks more comfortable off the catch, although there is some real ability to hit pull-ups if he has time behind ball screens. He has more touch than his 33.3 percent mark from 3 would indicate, but he does need to clean up that shot off the bounce. This is a no-doubt high-major guard who should immediately step in as a starter at a good location next year. We would anticipate he’ll be among the more sought-after guards in the portal, and there is a real chance he develops into an NBA player if he gets the jumper mechanics down consistently as opposed to the twisting shot he has right now.

7. Andre Curbelo | 6-1 guard | sophomore | Illinois

One of the more complicated evaluations in the portal. If it goes right at his next stop, Curbelo could turn into an All-America-level engine of an NCAA Tournament team. It’s not an exaggeration to call him one of the most dynamic ballhandlers and passers in college basketball, skills he showcased at an incredibly high level back in his freshman 2020-21 season. That year, he won the Big Ten’s Sixth Man of the Year award for a No. 1 seed Illinois team, and averaged nine points, four rebounds and four assists. There was an expectation that he would take an enormous step forward and become the catalyst for a top-15 team in the country, with a terrific pick-and-roll partner in Kofi Cockburn. Alas, that didn’t occur, and this is where the questions come in. Curbelo suffered a concussion early in the season and just never got right from there. He averaged seven points and three assists while shooting 32 percent from the field and 17 percent from 3. This is the conundrum: Can you get Curbelo back to his freshman-year level? The upside is high, but the floor here is that he’s a backup guard. All reports out of Illinois were absolutely terrific prior to him suffering his concussion. Curbelo will need the right situation to get the most out of him. Maybe a return to the New York City area under expected new Seton Hall coach Shaheen Holloway makes some sense, given the freedom with which Holloway’s man offense operates, as proven by Saint Peter’s run to the Elite Eight?

Reaction Score

Unquestionably one of the best offensive creators this year in the American Athletic Conference, Newton departs East Carolina following the changeover in head coach from Joe Dooley to Mike Schwartz. He averaged 17.7 points, five rebounds and five assists last year, possessing the ability to play both on and off the ball as a lead or secondary offensive creator. He’s still really skinny, but he reads the floor and will be significantly helped by playing with better players around him than he had at East Carolina. He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly. He’s conscientious on defense and knows where he needs to be rotationally and helps generally despite his skinny frame. But more than that, he’s twitchy but plays with great pace off the bounce. He can attack the basket and finish. As a shooter, he’s got a good set shot and looks more comfortable off the catch, although there is some real ability to hit pull-ups if he has time behind ball screens. He has more touch than his 33.3 percent mark from 3 would indicate, but he does need to clean up that shot off the bounce. This is a no-doubt high-major guard who should immediately step in as a starter at a good location next year. We would anticipate he’ll be among the more sought-after guards in the portal, and there is a real chance he develops into an NBA player if he gets the jumper mechanics down consistently as opposed to the twisting shot he has right now.
Notably 5 of the top 6 are freshman, so Newton is listed as the 2nd best transfer available after LSU transfer Brandon Murray.

Reaction Score
The good thing about losing both Cole and Diggins is that we can recruit guys who will be sure that they can come here and get a ton of minutes. With plenty of other top level teams that may not be a given.

Reaction Score
So far we're recruiting a bunch of 6'2-6'6 guards. A couple are lead guards (Newton, Davis) and a couple are more the microwave scorer types (Shannon, Reeves). Competition is going to be fierce for all of them.

Personally, Tristen Newton is definitely #1 on my list. Lead guard, great size, can still shoot it decently. Aligns well with Castle's recruitment if we think he'll be a day 1 contributor as well. He's already left Texas for school once, so hopefully he isn't a homebody.
And this is what makes me a bit nervous, they’re recruiting multiple positions in the portal against some fierce competition. Hurleys recruiting style is more suited for getting high schoolers than portal type guys where they have longer periods of time to get to know the kids and get them on campus and such. Having to rely on getting skilled, Big East starting level guards isn’t going to be easy. I’m hopeful, but it’s not a given they find exactly what it is they need. They’ll get players, question is will they be good enough day 1 starters to elevate the team?

Reaction Score
I whined bitterly when Javonte Brown transferred last year.

And yet-7 mpg at TA&MU as more or less the sole viable center on the roster:

He was very raw and always felt like a guy that wouldn't really have an impact until he was an upper classman. That being said, the almost complete lack of minutes on a team that gave very few minutes to anyone above 6'8 is concerning.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So far we're recruiting a bunch of 6'2-6'6 guards. A couple are lead guards (Newton, Davis) and a couple are more the microwave scorer types (Shannon, Reeves). Competition is going to be fierce for all of them.

Personally, Tristen Newton is definitely #1 on my list. Lead guard, great size, can still shoot it decently. Aligns well with Castle's recruitment if we think he'll be a day 1 contributor as well. He's already left Texas for school once, so hopefully he isn't a homebody.
This aligns to what Hurley said yesterday, and even a few years ago. To play the style he really wants he needs big guards and strong wings that can shoot. I tried to call out that multiple 6' and under guards were not a solution and a bunch of people here cried about ball handling. In the style he says he's trying the play, the ball needs to move through the air more and on the bounce a lot less. First step drive ability is important, but Curly Neal dribbling ability is not. Even against the press last year, Jackson solved it because of his ability to throw ahead. Kansas scorched Miami the other day doing the same thing.

Reaction Score
Actual UConn interest

Oregon State transfer Dashawn Davis has been in heavy contact with Mississippi State, Washington, Cincinnati so far since entering his name into the transfer portal. The 6-foot-2 junior from the Bronx (NY) averaged 10.9 points and 5.5 assists this season after spending two seasons at Trinity Valley Community College.

“I'm going to start cutting my list down in about two weeks,” he said. “What will go into that is going to a program that will put the ball in my hands, be a winning program of some sort and then I'm going to choose and cut off from there. I also look to take some visits before I commit to a school.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

7. Andre Curbelo | 6-1 guard | sophomore | Illinois

One of the more complicated evaluations in the portal. If it goes right at his next stop, Curbelo could turn into an All-America-level engine of an NCAA Tournament team. It’s not an exaggeration to call him one of the most dynamic ballhandlers and passers in college basketball, skills he showcased at an incredibly high level back in his freshman 2020-21 season. That year, he won the Big Ten’s Sixth Man of the Year award for a No. 1 seed Illinois team, and averaged nine points, four rebounds and four assists. There was an expectation that he would take an enormous step forward and become the catalyst for a top-15 team in the country, with a terrific pick-and-roll partner in Kofi Cockburn. Alas, that didn’t occur, and this is where the questions come in. Curbelo suffered a concussion early in the season and just never got right from there. He averaged seven points and three assists while shooting 32 percent from the field and 17 percent from 3. This is the conundrum: Can you get Curbelo back to his freshman-year level? The upside is high, but the floor here is that he’s a backup guard. All reports out of Illinois were absolutely terrific prior to him suffering his concussion. Curbelo will need the right situation to get the most out of him. Maybe a return to the New York City area under expected new Seton Hall coach Shaheen Holloway makes some sense, given the freedom with which Holloway’s man offense operates, as proven by Saint Peter’s run to the Elite Eight?

This quip about Newton is one thing UConn was sorely lacking last year. Last season UConn had very little creativity in ball movement or passing.

"He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly."

Reaction Score
This quip about Newton is one thing UConn was sorely lacking last year. Last season UConn had very little creativity in ball movement or passing.

"He sees skip passes and high-level pick-and-roll reads. He makes live dribble passes from creative angles and plays unselfishly."

It's not his fault, but Cole was a combo guard who was forced to be a pure point guard. He did great, but he was doing a job that he wasn't really built to do.

Reaction Score

Yeah that article was put together by Vecenie, who is probably the best player evaluator in the mainstream college basketball media. I saw similar things as a freshman, and might watch a game from this year to see how he's developed. But I'm already all in on Newton. "Friendship ended with Llewellyn, now Newton is my best friend." And it probably means nothing we were listed first in his interest tweet, but I'm choosing to read as far into it as possible

Reaction Score
Justice Williams had an underwhelming senior year of HS followed by a putrid freshman year at LSU. I’m inclined to think that he was just overrated in HS. Wouldn’t consider him the “skilled” type either.

If you want to go with a question mark guard transfer with upside, I’d rather pursue Adam Miller off of his knee surgery rehab year.

Reaction Score
I think someone commented earlier about perhaps offering a Certain Memphis Player should he enter the portal.

I would be very, very hesitant. The family gives off supercharged LaVarr Ball vibes without any of the commercial sophistication and on top of that he just seems like the total and complete antithesis of what Hurley looks for in players, namely 1) buy in to a system first and foremost, and 1b) team culture above individual.

I get the idea, I really do. But this seems to me like a case where he should simply sell to the highest bidder whether via NIL opportunities or simply going to the League.

Curbelo is a another great idea, but the concussion history scares the heck out of me, combined with the physicality inherent in BE play seems like a no-go.

Reaction Score
I think the thing a lot of fans miss with transfers, including myself, is that if the kid goes somewhere else and excels it's not necessarily valid to say, 'See, I told you so, DH should have given them playing time, tried harder to keep them, etc.' Sometimes the player just needs to be at a different school and in a different cultural environment to truly blossom. If they'd stayed in Storrs it probably wouldn't have happened.

We see this a lot with some of Geno's kids. He's had a few - Lexi Gordon, Mikayla Coombs, Mir McClean of late - that left the program and put up numbers at their new school....but the programs haven't necessarily made meaningful progress overall. It was simply a matter of - horrors! - wanting to do what you at least partially came to college to do - play basketball.

Even in the event the player absolutely balls out and drives their new school to a National Title, again, it probably wasn't gonna happen in Storrs for whatever reason. So good luck.

Reaction Score
I think someone commented earlier about perhaps offering a Certain Memphis Player should he enter the portal.

I would be very, very hesitant. The family gives off supercharged LaVarr Ball vibes without any of the commercial sophistication and on top of that he just seems like the total and complete antithesis of what Hurley looks for in players, namely 1) buy in to a system first and foremost, and 1b) team culture above individual.

I get the idea, I really do. But this seems to me like a case where he should simply sell to the highest bidder whether via NIL opportunities or simply going to the League.

Curbelo is a another great idea, but the concussion history scares the heck out of me, combined with the physicality inherent in BE play seems like a no-go.
Curbelo is a 18% three point shooter, we won't pursue him. Doesn't fit with what DH is trying to do. He also got benched in the second half of Illinois tourney game because he wasn't doing much

Reaction Score
have to wonder if we're on the cusp of something that rocks the sport to its core

Uhhhh ya think.... like the article mentioned the same thing happens with football no ground breaking news there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom