Transfer portal part 2 | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

Reaction Score
I think most are because of coaching changes
I've never been more aware than I am this year of how thankful I am for the stability we are fortunate enough to have at South Carolina. Seriously no words adequately express how much I appreciate that being the case.

(Ha.. And ironically enough as I was typing this Dawn's commercial for Oofos came on TV.. LoL)

Reaction Score
With all due respect, who writes this stuff, and why doesn't anyone proofread it? "I will be changing directions within my decision"? At least we were spared "with that being said,..."
I think she is trying to be formal. However I have the same frustration.

Reaction Score
I think she is trying to be formal. However I have the same frustration.
I tend to think most of the social media farewells where players wax philosophically and sound extremely appreciative are more for other coaches to get a good impression of them in the portal rather than illustrate how they actually feel. I'm sure many are genuine but I also tend to think some are over the top and all part of creating the image the players want so they maximize their opportunities elsewhere.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with this practice but it certainly is something to consider.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I tend to think most of the social media farewells where players wax philosophically and sound extremely appreciative are more for other coaches to get a good impression of them in the portal rather than illustrate how they actually feel. I'm sure many are genuine but I also tend to think some are over the top and all part of creating the image the players want so they maximize their opportunities elsewhere.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with this practice but it certainly is something to consider.
I'm fine with the idea. When the execution tortures the English language, I'm not sure how effective the messaging is. A simple, "I'm grateful to my coaches, fellow athletes and University of X for the wonderful opportunities I've had, but I've determined it will be best for me to pursue the next stage of my academic and athletic career elsewhere, so I will be entering the portal." would suffice...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

It would be interesting if players started posting exactly how they feel. So, for example, a player like Evans, if she was completely honest, might post the following:

I can’t believe that Coach Abe recruited me and then bailed at UCF. What’s worse, she’s taking half the damned team with her to UGA. There’s no way in hell I’m going to UCF now. College recruiters be advised, I AM AVAILABLE!!! :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm fine with the idea. When the execution tortures the English language, I'm not sure how effective the messaging is. A simple, "I'm grateful to my coaches, fellow athletes and University of X for the wonderful opportunities I've had, but I've determined it will be best for me to pursue the next stage of my academic and athletic career elsewhere, so I will be entering the portal." would suffice...
“Thanks everybody but I’m out”.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a shocker.
Other than foregoing her opportunity for a Princeton degree, it’s not really shocking in a conventional sense. Plank played only 7 mpg, averaging just over 2 ppg this past season. She did not play at all in Princeton’s 2nd round loss to IN.

Reaction Score

Comma splice; long sentence...

Reaction Score
It would be interesting if players started posting exactly how they feel. So, for example, a player like Evans, if she was completely honest, might post the following:

I can’t believe that Coach Abe recruited me and then bailed at UCF. What’s worse, she’s taking half the damned team with her to UGA. There’s no way in hell I’m going to UCF now. College recruiters be advised, I AM AVAILABLE!!! :D

Now there's a player in whom I'd be interested. Honesty is a valuable character trait.

Reaction Score

Yeah, UCF has almost nobody left at the moment. Hopefully Coach Messer can fill some holes but this year is looking like it will be very rough.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UCF has almost nobody left at the moment. Hopefully Coach Messer can fill some holes but this year is looking like it will be very rough.
I seem to recall some transfers getting waivers due to a coaching change in the past. But does the ability to transfer without sitting out now hurt new coaches without big reputations? It seems that when a coach leaves, the entire roster leaves too. In the past, new coaches inherited an existing roster and had to build their program through recruiting. It seems that if in year one you have a completely ravaged roster, it would be difficult to recruit players to come, as they’d have to endure the rebuild for most of their career. Coaches like Kara Lawson have been able to use their name, imagine, and likeness to avoid this possibility.

Reaction Score
Is it me or does this year's off-season in the portal seem more like NFL / NBA free agency? I've seen more posts and TikTok videos of some of the bigger prospects showing where they are at than I've seen pros in comparison this year.

On one hand, I get they're having fun, doing their thing and probably trying to build their social media presence for future opportunities. On the other it feels like they're making light of the fact that they have all of these official visit opportunities which could make future athletes think heading into the portal is an easy thing to do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Is it me or does this year's off-season in the portal seem more like NFL / NBA free agency? I've seen more posts and TikTok videos of some of the bigger prospects showing where they are at than I've seen pros in comparison this year.

On one hand, I get they're having fun, doing their thing and probably trying to build their social media presence for future opportunities. On the other it feels like they're making light of the fact that they have all of these official visit opportunities which could make future athletes think heading into the portal is an easy thing to do.
I suspect that a good deal of what you see is basically “putting on a brave face,” like breaking up with your significant other. Deep down you’re hurting over some perceived wrong, but you want your Ex to believe that your getting on fine without them.

The other analogy would be “spitting into the wind.” Transferring to a new school, hoping that it’s the right fit is probably scary as hell for most of these kids.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Southie since this post was from you are you saying shes going to be a longhorn ? LOL
Not at all. I don't believe Texas is involved with Reese. Seems like LSU, South Carolina, and other teams in the southeast are most likely for her.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
lol vols fans think they getting her, I heard Louisville but I don't see the appeal there esp with Walz.
Horston & Burrell struggled to play together at times this past season. I can’t imagine that Horston & Reese will have an easier time of it next season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom