Transfer portal part 2 | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would still argue that the vast majority of players exercising year 5 aren't program changers or starters, but role players.
Mya Hollingshed returned to Colorado for a 5th year and just went #8 in the WNBA Draft. Ashley Joens is returning to Iowa St. for a 5th year. That took me zero seconds to think of 2 very big exceptions. I'm sure there are many, many more

edit--and Cate Reese returning to Arizona for a 5th year

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree, I never understood why any waiver was approved unless it was extreme circumstances and I mean extreme. Players who sat out were allowed to receive a scholarship, practice, take part in many team activities, and also likely receive the benefits of being on the team within the campus environment. They were not allowed to play in games and that's about it.

I'm also a little aggravated at the coaches who are seeking to grab players in the portal over working with an existing roster or incoming recruits to make them better. A coach can't or shouldn't ignore a perfectly good player in the portal but not at the expense of a player who may just need some additional coaching or development.

Many people are enjoying this year to see who leaves and who goes where. I am not, mainly because it shows how deeply flawed the system really is.
I agree with the sentiment and prefer when we see kids stay 4 years and develop into great players (ex. McCowan, Henderson) but the reality in today's day and age is that coaches are getting paid big bucks to win, and winning takes precedent over developing players. Plus when coaches lose players to transfer, they need to compensate for that by taking in transfers. Raiding the portal has been a huge factor for most of the recent championship teams.

The next few years we'll have an influx of grad transfers since everyone has been gifted an extra 5th year and very few players good enough to make it in the WNBA, so we likely have 3 more years of this circus.

Reaction Score
Mya Hollingshed returned to Colorado for a 5th year and just went #8 in the WNBA Draft. Ashley Joens is returning to Iowa St. for a 5th year. That took me zero seconds to think of 2 very big exceptions. I'm sure there are many, many more

Out of a thousand +? Sure. But each year...how many incoming are program changers? Not a lot...so what % of incoming recruits are impacted? Nothing to match the groaning if you ask me. There are other places to consider...and if there aren't well what does that tell you?

Reaction Score

And Victaria Saxton, SC, for a 5th year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And Victaria Saxton, SC, for a 5th year.
And Mikesell at Ohio St. And Juhasz at UConn. I suspect if I looked at everybody's rosters, and everybody in the portal, I would come up with a very impactful list of 5th year players in both '21-'22 and '22-'23. It's definitely more than just a few.

Reaction Score
And Mikesell at Ohio St. And Juhasz at UConn. I suspect if I looked at everybody's rosters, and everybody in the portal, I would come up with a very impactful list of 5th year players in both '21-'22 and '22-'23. It's definitely more than just a few.
I didn't say it was a few. I said it wasn't the vast majority. If you kept searching...would it get to 100...which would be 10% of a thousand...and there's more than a thousand? The narrative seems to be that it's crushing incoming Frosh. I'm not buying it. Some yes. Most of these kids moving to other teams aren't threatening some waiting in the wings superstar. I've never even heard of most of them. Almost every team has 2ish on the move on average. Most of these folks jumping around are changing venues for more playing time and certainly not with the intention that they are some missing critical piece to elevating a program. If that were the case....they wouldn't be on the move. It's their prerogative, and it looks BUSY, but looking at the big impact...I don't see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Both LSU players that were drafted were 5th year seniors and both improved their draft stock by playing a 5th year.

Reaction Score

Leilani Correa. She's a bucket. Was really impressed by her when they played UConn the past couple of years. Actually when I saw Caroline Ducharme outplay her I knew CD was next up. Anyways will be a great scorer wherever she lands

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score

From the teams I follow, I would add Monika Czinano and Grace Berger.

Reaction Score

Leilani Correa. She's a bucket. Was really impressed by her when they played UConn the past couple of years. Actually when I saw Caroline Ducharme outplay her I knew CD was next up. Anyways will be a great scorer wherever she lands

The post got removed. So not sure if she's actually in the portal

Reaction Score
1650489952082.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24