Transfer portal part 2 | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Lattimore did not get a lot of meaningful playing minutes this season. There were games where she didn't log a single minute; and, these elite recruits want to play early and often.

I think Aaliyah Moore is Texas's starting PF next season; and, perhaps Vic wants Latasha to play more of the Center position, but she wants to play more as a stretch-PF. I don't think she's currently better than Moore, so she's not gonna start over her and they are in the same class; perhaps that could have played a role in her decision. Texas' starters at PG, SG, and PF are pretty much set. Could be that Lattimore wants to be a starter (who doesn't?) and that might not have been possible at Texas with Moore in front of her the next 3 seasons.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think Latasha is the first non-senior to leave and her decision to go to Texas after the Syracuse situation always seemed random when neither Texas or Mississippi State were ever in her school lists during her recruitment.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s the State and not the team. Wonkers down there.
I know you are probably joking but Texas is actually pretty awesome. Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and Austin are great cities. They are also very knowledgeable of all high school sports, not just football. I was a little surprised how much they follow women’s basketball. Of any schools UT may have the most trouble filling seats.

Reaction Score
Y'all, whats going on down in the Lonestar state? Vic righted the ship and was a few possessions away from a Final Four. Someone explain this to me!
Maybe she knows someone coming in from the portal to take her place?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't get the Lattimore move. She's got Moore and Gaston to train against and Schafer.

My gut has me thinking Duke's going to be in play because of the Day-Wilson connection. Don't like the idea as Duke hasn't given any indication they can develop bigs yet. Doesn't make sense to me.

Hey hey hey

Reaction Score
I don't get the Lattimore move. She's got Moore and Gaston to train against and Schafer.

My gut has me thinking Duke's going to be in play because of the Day-Wilson connection. Don't like the idea as Duke hasn't given any indication they can develop bigs yet. Doesn't make sense to me.
Or UCONN. She and Edwards were teammates.

Latasha Lattimore - 2019/20 OSBA Season Mixtape

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is too stacked in the front court... she'd have to wait years to get any minutes. On the other hand, she could start from opening day down in Durham. No biases on my part.
They aren't stacked with 6' 4" athletic rebounders that can start fast breaks and score in a variety of ways from the free-throw line inward. And that wingspan! Of course, she also played with Day Wilson who is at Duke.:)

Reaction Score
I don’t take a portal player unless she can contribute immediately.. Can she get her share of rebounds and score in the paint right now? If yes, I’m in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don’t take a portal player unless she can contribute immediately.. Can she get her share of rebounds and score in the paint right now? If yes, I’m in.
She has 3 years of eligibility. If I'm Geno I'd give her a call even if she likely isn't interested due to lack of playing time with Juhasz and Edwards in front of her. She's a heck of an athletic prospect.

Reaction Score
If all she has to worry about is Dorka and AE, she’ll get plenty of playing time. UConn needs a lot of bigs

Reaction Score
She has 3 years of eligibility. If I'm Geno I'd give her a call even if she likely isn't interested due to lack of playing time with Juhasz and Edwards in front of her. She's a heck of an athletic prospect.
She can play the 3 or 4 with her skill set. And if necessary...the 5. I don't think, even with a 1000+ in the portal, that the chances are good of finding a quality 5 difference maker. So, the next option to me...is to get a big who can score around the rim and help the 5 on defense and rebound. Amari may well be the 5 that is needed. I don't know. Paige has 2 more years (possibly 3) and if I had to fit in playing time...I would because it would be all kinds of awful to have her leave with no natty. Reese would fit here, but I don't see any indication that UCONN is even on her radar. Against certain teams...UCONN is height, speed and athletic challenged. Gotta plug that hole. Am I the only one that noticed there are times when Nika, dribbling no less, beats all her teammates up the floor...and has no one to pass to?

Reaction Score

This tickles me. Will a Mizzou henchWOman be welcomed by SC fans and players? And on the other hand,..it would be quite the middle finger to Mizzou coaches. You can't make this stuff up.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m all for the one time transfer, as I think kids make decisions that might not be best in hindsight. But right now it’s just madness with the COVID year. There are a lot of players who likely have no pro potential capitalizing on that year by transferring to a new school for a grad program. Once the COVID year expires, I’m hopeful the total number of transfers goes down. Right now with the one time transfer, COVID year, and grad transfer rule, a lot of players are able to hit up 3 schools without having to sit out. I can’t imagine that academic side of things isn’t impacted from so much movement.
The free transfer also gives a relatively easy out for kids not willing to put in the work and be a little patient. Grad students are in a different boat.

Reaction Score
I can’t keep up with it all.

1649903375969.gif

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She can play the 3 or 4 with her skill set. And if necessary...the 5. I don't think, even with a 1000+ in the portal, that the chances are good of finding a quality 5 difference maker. So, the next option to me...is to get a big who can score around the rim and help the 5 on defense and rebound. Amari may well be the 5 that is needed. I don't know. Paige has 2 more years (possibly 3) and if I had to fit in playing time...I would because it would be all kinds of awful to have her leave with no natty. Reese would fit here, but I don't see any indication that UCONN is even on her radar. Against certain teams...UCONN is height, speed and athletic challenged. Gotta plug that hole. Am I the only one that noticed there are times when Nika, dribbling no less, beats all her teammates up the floor...and has no one to pass to?

I don't think you'll find a better center in the portal than you found in Juhasz last year. UCONN transfers typically take a while to adjust to the motion offense. Agree that if Deberry develops, she could be the difference maker for UCONN.

Reese would be a great fit IMO since she's so athletic, blocks shots well and would pair well playing with a physical 4 in Edwards, but she's clearly looking for a school where she can play primarily on the perimeter so I don't see it happening. Agree though that UCONN needs to add in more speed, size and athleticism. Geno's recruiting philosophy as of late seems to be targeting kids who are pretty developed and can contribute from day 1 but aren't necessarily top flight athletes. Dawn Staley has the opposite approach of targeting speed and athleticism with the hopes that she'll develop them into solid players. It's worked extremely well for her as of late, plus landing Boston obviously helped too. I think getting athletes like Lattimore or Reese could help big time for UCONN to compete with the athletes SC has, but I don't see those 2 (or any transfer) wanting to pick a new school where they'll likely be a backup for 2 more years. If I'm Geno my top priority is landing a top post in 2023 and developing Deberry/

And worth noting, Bueckers is draft eligible next year. I'd be surprised if she goes pro with NIL and after missing out on most of her sophomore year, but it's a realistic possibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom