Transfer portal part 2 | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal part 2

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Jenna Brown is a grad transfer. Stanford has had a bunch through the years, many of whom have ended up at ND. But it is extremely rare for an undergrad to transfer from Stanford. That Stanford sheepskin carries enormous prestige, particularly for someone like Van Gytenbeek who is unlikely to make it to the W.
Yeah I'm shocked Jana VG is transferring. When was the last time they had an undergrad transfer out?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No, it's like Denny's.

But, for student-athletes in Fall/Winter sports who want to take advantage of the one-time transfer exception with immediate eligibility for next season, the deadline to enter the transfer portal is May 1, 2022.
What happens if a player decides to transfer sometime after May 1, 2022 and wants immediate eligibility? For example, Saylor transferred shortly after the season started and I believe she was immediately eligible but she decided to sit out the season due to her injury. Or Mir who decided to enter the portal later in the season and had immediate eligibility?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
What happens if a player decides to transfer sometime after May 1, 2022 and wants immediate eligibility? For example, Saylor transferred shortly after the season started and I believe she was immediately eligible but she decided to sit out the season due to her injury. Or Mir who decided to enter the portal later in the season and had immediate eligibility?
If they miss the deadline, they would then have to submit a waiver request. That's for immediate eligibility for the upcoming season.

Your other scenario is more about trying to gain immediate eligibility during an ongoing season.

Reaction Score

Mir applied for a waiver and it was approved. I believe Saylor did not.

My question is, if they deadline is May 1, when is the earliest they can enter to be eligible?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Mir applied for a waiver and it was approved. I believe Saylor did not.

My question is, if they deadline is May 1, when is the earliest they can enter to be eligible?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, any player who has entered the transfer portal since last year's deadline of July 1, 2021 is eligible for immediate eligibility for the 2022-23 season (assuming they qualify for the one-time transfer exception). Now, most players who entered the portal the second half of 2021 have most likely already transferred to their new school.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

(Not to pick on this athlete in particular, but...) So this will be her fourth school in six years. Does anyone think these players are getting a solid academic experience when there's a complete lack of continuity to their academic community, their mentors and advisors, their coursework, and their pre-professional networking? Most folks look for jobs after graduation either near where they grew up or where they went to school. So grew up in Philly, then played in WV, then back to Philly, then Mississippi, now where?

This stuff just makes so little sense to me, and I truly don't understand why the NCAA has just opened the gates and stopped caring.

Reaction Score
I don't think Saylor's sitting out was voluntary. It was reported that she had to because of the late date (in season) of her transfer.

Reaction Score
(Not to pick on this athlete in particular, but...) So this will be her fourth school in six years. Does anyone think these players are getting a solid academic experience when there's a complete lack of continuity to their academic community, their mentors and advisors, their coursework, and their pre-professional networking? Most folks look for jobs after graduation either near where they grew up or where they went to school. So grew up in Philly, then played in WV, then back to Philly, then Mississippi, now where?

This stuff just makes so little sense to me, and I truly don't understand why the NCAA has just opened the gates and stopped caring.
Wouldn't Jones be a graduate transfer at whatever school she's going to next?

Reaction Score

I agree it is perplexing as to why a player would move around so much. However I don’t have any stats regarding how many nonathletes move around to various colleges. I don’t know if the NCAA has stopped caring but instead the thought was to give athletes freedom more akin to that of coaches. Do they still have the rules in place regarding scholarships available for a university tied to progression to a degree for the players? I always thought that was a good incentive to make colleges more accountable.

Reaction Score

I’m all for the one time transfer, as I think kids make decisions that might not be best in hindsight. But right now it’s just madness with the COVID year. There are a lot of players who likely have no pro potential capitalizing on that year by transferring to a new school for a grad program. Once the COVID year expires, I’m hopeful the total number of transfers goes down. Right now with the one time transfer, COVID year, and grad transfer rule, a lot of players are able to hit up 3 schools without having to sit out. I can’t imagine that academic side of things isn’t impacted from so much movement.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Do they still have the rules in place regarding scholarships available for a university tied to progression to a degree for the players? I always thought that was a good incentive to make colleges more accountable.
I've wondered about that. APR I think it was called. I'm kind of assuming that went out the window quite a while ago.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
28% of transfers are grads - add in some 'seniors' who aren't yet grads transferring and that probably takes it to close to 33% and almost all of that is covid year related.

There are still 700+ undergrad in the portal which is a lot - just not quite as astonishing.

(And probably some percentage of the 700+ wouldn't be transferring if they only had a year left of eligibility.)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Y'all, whats going on down in the Lonestar state? Vic righted the ship and was a few possessions away from a Final Four. Someone explain this to me!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

A lot of Texas players leaving, wonder what's going on there. Lattimore is oozing with potential, she'll be a solid pickup for a coach who can develop front court players.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Lattimore move. She's got Moore and Gaston to train against and Schafer.

My gut has me thinking Duke's going to be in play because of the Day-Wilson connection. Don't like the idea as Duke hasn't given any indication they can develop bigs yet. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction Score

This one isn’t unexpected to me. It always appeared she and A Moore were fighting for minutes. Also, it is not unusual for multiple players to transfer out of a Coach Schaefer program. During the course of the year it normally becomes apparent who is rising to the top.

Reaction Score
Y'all, whats going on down in the Lonestar state? Vic righted the ship and was a few possessions away from a Final Four. Someone explain this to me!
It does seem like a lot of coaches and players have recently left Texas. More than general attrition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom