Transfer Portal (2022-2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This is the one I've been waiting for.
Me, too!

Williams is a sharpshooter who started 21 games during the 2020-21 season and averaged 8.7 points, 3.2 assists and recorded 68 rebounds as a freshman. She totaled a career-high 26 points on a perfect 9-for-9 from the field, including 6-for-6 from 3-point range, against Miami on Jan. 17, 2021.

Williams is a native of Houston, Texas by way of Branson, Missouri. She was a five-star recruit out of Branson High School and also considered Florida State, Louisville and Mississippi State before she committed to former SU coach Quentin Hillsman and his 2021 class, which currently has Ava Irvin left with the program

Reaction Score
Me, too!

Williams is a sharpshooter who started 21 games during the 2020-21 season and averaged 8.7 points, 3.2 assists and recorded 68 rebounds as a freshman. She totaled a career-high 26 points on a perfect 9-for-9 from the field, including 6-for-6 from 3-point range, against Miami on Jan. 17, 2021.

Williams is a native of Houston, Texas by way of Branson, Missouri. She was a five-star recruit out of Branson High School and also considered Florida State, Louisville and Mississippi State before she committed to former SU coach Quentin Hillsman and his 2021 class, which currently has Ava Irvin left with the program
She’s the next Kianna Smith for them. I bet she goes to Louisville.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She’s the next Kianna Smith for them. I bet she goes to Louisville.
Could be.

I'm hoping she still has family in Houston and wants to be closer to them.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Now up to 4 of the top 10 recruits from 2020 having transferred from their original school. The 6 remaining are all stars at their program so chances are they stay, but who knows. Remaining players are Bueckers, Reese, Brink, Clark, Van Lith and Deja Kelly.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Can we get a running tab of who is NOT in the portal?
Don't want to jinx this, but Stanford has had a pretty remarkably stable roster the past few seasons. In fact, it's been quite a while since we had a non-grad transfer. The 40 Year decision factor sure helps!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Doesn’t surprise me with Watson and Parrish. They are far away from home. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Maddie Scherr next. She is from Kentucky I believe.
Agree. Just going to put this out there: none of them impressed me in a Ducks uniform. Totally possible that's as much on Graves as on them (he sort of said as much in the presser after their NCAA opening round loss), but none looked like bona fide top 10-20 recruits in most of the play I saw. Rogers, who was far, far, lower ranked as a recruit (36th by ESPN), was much more impactful than any of them.

Reaction Score
Agree. Just going to put this out there: none of them impressed me in a Ducks uniform. Totally possible that's as much on Graves as on them (he sort of said as much in the presser after their NCAA opening round loss), but none looked like top 25 recruits in most of the play I saw. Rogers, who was far, far, lower ranked as a recruit (36th by ESPN), was much more impactful than any of them.

Didn’t want to be the one to say it. But, those 3 really didn’t meet the lofty expectations they had coming in. I really thought Parrish would be one to instantly make an impact, as she seemed to fit what usually makes players great fits in the PAC. For whatever reason, it never really materialized.

I always thought Scherr was an odd fit for what Oregon likes to run. Watson just never really got a chance.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I gotta ask, is it even worth making the considerable effort to recruit high school talent any more? If most of them are going to leave after a year or two, it's heading towards being a waste of time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Graves’ comments were just the final straw. I think they finally saw that they weren’t getting coached up by the staff - might as well go somewhere else. Looks like the program is in trouble. Sweet sixteens are probably the ceiling once in awhile.
The teams chemistry sucked this year. No gym rats on the team, flat play at times. Oregon NIL got in some of there heads too. The only team with no transfers in the pac-12 are at this point UCLA, Stanford and Oregon State. Two of those are still playing ball.
Not sure if Oregon State being the outlier at this point a good thing for them?
Washington has 6 in the portal so far. Even Arizona has 3 and Colorado has five and they were NCAA teams. So what did Adia do at Zona?
Not the greatest Graves fan here but too many soft Princesses on the Oregon team and not enough Alphas. The only place I know where you get coached up is at Oregon State so they say. Graves had five stars but were they really. Someone here once said give me a 3 or 4 star from California over a five star out of a smaller state and they would gamble and take it. I welcome the mix up. Ask yourselves would any of the three that left Oregon would start on the team you follow.

Reaction Score
I gotta ask, is it even worth making the considerable effort to recruit high school talent any more? If most of them are going to leave after a year or two, it's heading towards being a waste of time.
What if a school just built a team completely off the portal and skipped recruiting out of high school. You would get a chance to study personalities, play in college, academics and the like. We all follow different sports but how often were you told wait until so and so comes in at QB in football or so and so comes in as a pitcher in baseball or softball . How often does it really pan out? maybe 30 percent of the time?

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to be the one to say it. But, those 3 really didn’t meet the lofty expectations they had coming in. I really thought Parrish would be one to instantly make an impact, as she seemed to fit what usually makes players great fits in the PAC. For whatever reason, it never really materialized.

I always thought Scherr was an odd fit for what Oregon likes to run. Watson just never really got a chance.
All true, Seen it all year so as a cardinal if you saw it from a distant imagine seeing it first hand week in and week out.. What is funny is when you see players transfer fans take it personally at every school. A change is needed here so best of luck to everyone. I was hoping Prince would do it because her work ethic and distractions seems to be a drag on the team.

Reaction Score
The teams chemistry sucked this year. No gym rats on the team, flat play at times. Oregon NIL got in some of there heads too. The only team with no transfers in the pac-12 are at this point UCLA, Stanford and Oregon State. Two of those are still playing ball.
Not sure if Oregon State being the outlier at this point a good thing for them?
Washington has 6 in the portal so far. Even Arizona has 3 and Colorado has five and they were NCAA teams. So what did Adia do at Zona?
Not the greatest Graves fan here but too many soft Princesses on the Oregon team and not enough Alphas. The only place I know where you get coached up is at Oregon State so they say. Graves had five stars but were they really. Someone here once said give me a 3 or 4 star from California over a five star out of a smaller state and they would gamble and take it. I welcome the mix up. Ask yourselves would any of the three that left Oregon would start on the team you follow.

Yes, all these transfers were underwhelming and nowhere close to Pac-12 level. Shocking as they were all so so highly ranked recruits.
A lot were definitely more focused on those NILs and social media. You knew they were getting bounced in the 1st round after Ionescu gave them nice (now essentially) parting gifts before the first post season game.

Reaction Score
Me, too!

She is very talented. I’m hoping the fact she had Louisville and Mississippi State as finalists last time will give us a shot since we now have Coach Purcell.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well ... I think it was worth it to recruit Paige and Brink and Clark, don't you?
For the 3 teams lucky enough to get them. Doesn't negate the tongue in cheek point I was making though.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Agree. Just going to put this out there: none of them impressed me in a Ducks uniform. Totally possible that's as much on Graves as on them (he sort of said as much in the presser after their NCAA opening round loss), but none looked like bona fide top 10-20 recruits in most of the play I saw. Rogers, who was far, far, lower ranked as a recruit (36th by ESPN), was much more impactful than any of them.
That's comparing apples to oranges; upperclassmen college player to unproven high school signees. Endiya Rogers was a proven commodity after playing 2 seasons at USC. Coming out of the transfer portal, she was expected by the coaching staff to come in and be an immediate contributor.

Rogers was actually the Gatorade POY for the state of Texas as a senior; so, regardless of one or two subjective recruiting rankings, she came out of high school with high accolades.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the 3 teams lucky enough to get them. Doesn't negate the tongue in cheek point I was making though.

I think you made a good point. In Clark’s case, she was a homegrown talent. With Paige, UConn is simply a basketball factory. With Brink, I’d imagine it’s hard for anyone to turn down Stanford and even harder to leave once you realize what you’re getting on the court and in the classroom.

But to your point, if other schools don’t have all these things going for them it is probably even riskier than before to go for a student that’s coming in from across the country. I’ve noticed a lot of these transfers have ended up going somewhere closer to home.

Reaction Score
That's comparing apples to oranges; upperclassmen college player to unproven high school signees. Endiya Rogers was a proven commodity after playing 2 seasons at USC. Coming out of the transfer portal, she was expected by the coaching staff to come in and be an immediate contributor.

Rogers was actually the Gatorade POY for the state of Texas coming out of Texas; so, regardless of one or two subjective recruiting rankings, she came out of high school with high accolades.

Even so, I think the point was Rodgers made more of an impact at USC her first year them Parrish, Scherr, and Watson. Out of that class, only PaoPao has shown that she can play major minutes in the Pac12 consistently.

I can imagine when you bring in that many highly ranked recruits in a class, you’d hope more than one pans out to show their ranking was warranted.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Why is the blame being placed immediately on the players for being "princesses" (nevermind the misogyny of that phrasing) and "not living up to their rankings" and not on the coaches for failing to develop them and put them in positions to succeed? :confused:

7 talented players have now left in the past two seasons. You can't tell me that's all on the players.

Reaction Score
Why is the blame being placed immediately on the players for being "princesses" (nevermind the misogyny of that phrasing) and "not living up to their rankings" and not on the coaches for failing to develop them and put them in positions to succeed? :confused:

7 talented players have now left in the past two seasons. You can't tell me that's all on the players.

Because that’s part of the reality. Personally, I think Shelley was probably the biggest blunder of the departures. But, regarding the sophomore cohort that’s leaving, they didn’t perform as well as I’m sure Oregon fans were hoping and expecting. That’s just the reality. Some of it does fall on Graves, but some absolutely is on players. Aliyah Boston didn’t transform herself in the off-season just because Staley told her to. She did all she did with Tim Duncan and changed her body because she WANTED to. Lacie Hull didn’t offer to move to the PG spot when the team was struggling just cause Tara told her to. She also WANTED to. These are older players, but I’m sure Paige doesn’t sit around waiting for Geno to tell her how to get better. She WANTS to.

I’m not going to speak on work ethics of the ladies leaving after this season, but Graves’ comments to me insinuate that there were some distractions and attitudes that got in the way. However, it is on him because he brought those players into his program, or he could take away/limit some distractions like other coaches do with social media during the season. In the recruiting process, I’m seen several coaches say “everyone is a gym rat until it’s actually time to get into the gym.” Not saying that’s the case here, but the entitlement comment alludes to something going amiss along the way.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Even so, I think the point was Rodgers made more of an impact at USC her first year them Parrish, Scherr, and Watson. Out of that class, only PaoPao has shown that she can play major minutes in the Pac12 consistently.

I can imagine when you bring in that many highly ranked recruits in a class, you’d hope more than one pans out to show their ranking was warranted.
Now we're comparing players playing different positions at different schools under different coaching staffs and different styles of play? SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom