Top prospects for 2021....ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top prospects for 2021....ESPN

Reaction Score
Saylor up to #70 now. Iriafen at #38. I think they are currently updating this list in real time as we speak. I'll hold off until they are done - maybe tomorrow. Regardless, nice seeing they are making the effort. Gives us something to bitch about LOL... :D
Where are you seeing this?

Reaction Score
Saylor up to #70 now. Iriafen at #38. I think they are currently updating this list in real time as we speak. I'll hold off until they are done - maybe tomorrow. Regardless, nice seeing they are making the effort. Gives us something to bitch about LOL... :D
I agree. It appears that they are making changes on the fly. Would it be asking too much of ESPN to make all the calculations BEFORE releasing a list to the public ?

Reaction Score
How is this even possible? Like watching the stock market.
Its called volatility...the VIX tracks it in an index..The Boneyard index tracks the players rating index.. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This set of rankings is totally amateurish. I don't think the rankings are very accurate, and the fact that the verbiage doesn't match the ranking list is ludicrously poor. ESPN should have waited until all the info was internally consistent before going public. This new group is off to a really, really, really bad start. :eek:

Reaction Score
Just for comparison here are the Blue Star top 30 for 2021:

1 Azzi Fudd
2 Olivia Miles
3 Aaliyah Moore
4 Amari DeBerry
5 Payton Verhulst
6 Saniya Rivers
7 Caroline Ducharme
8 Greta Kampschroeder
9 Taylor Bigby
10 Saylor Poffenbarger
11 Brooke Demetre
12 Okikiola Iriafen
13 Sania Feagin
14 Sonia Citron
15 Rayah Marshall
16 Jillian Hollingshead
17 Raven Johnson
18 Damiya "DD" Hagemann
19 Kyndall Hunter
20 Jada Walker
21 Kayla McPherson
22 Brianna Turnage
23 Macie James
24 Jersey Wolfenbarger
25 Teonni Key
26 Reigan Richardson
27 Clarice Akunwafo
28 O'Mariah Gordon
29 Ava Learn
30 Rori Harmon Website Moved

Since UConn's 3 recruits are all top 10 we can just assume these are the most accurate rankings. :rolleyes: :)

And to add even more confusion here's a link to Prospect nation's top 75

Reaction Score
Just for comparison here are the Blue Star top 30 for 2021:

6 Saniya Rivers

13 Sania Feagin

17 Raven Johnson

Since UConn's 3 recruits are all top 10 we can just assume these are the most accurate rankings. :rolleyes: :)

I'll still "settle" for what we got. But, just for argument's sake: Do your think Summer AAU performances can change rankings?

Reaction Score
So Ducharme is their #5 top prospect, but they have her rated as #37 on their list?

So in updating the espnW 100 for the Class of 2021, our staff pored through hours of film and talked with coaches to re-rank the top high school seniors in the country. Here are the top five seniors and five other prospects whose stocks rose over the past few months.

I get that with the pandemic, there is precious little to go off in comparing recruits, but that's an insane leap - am I reading it right? IF they were to update their rankings, Caroline would jump from #37 to #5??

Per ESPN their top 5:
  1. Azzi Fudd
  2. Raven Johnson
  3. Saniya Rivers
  4. Sania Feagan
  5. Caroline Ducharme
Not sure I'm reading the entire article right, but #37 to #5? WOW...
It seems the key to becoming a top high school senior you simply need to commit to Dawn Staley! I must say, I’m a little unsure what criteria were used, as it could not have been watching them play, results of games, or NCAA tournament results? Even if these changes can be attributed to some concrete data, it is difficult to believe that over the course of five to six months of enforced idleness ( games, season, tournaments) Ducharme jumped 30 places and Saylor dropped 20!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've seen Saylor 3x. Here are her weaknesses: (1) She had hip surgery; (2) Middletown plays low-level competition.

I don't know if Saylor is the #5 player or the #18 player, but she's clearly top 20 and probably top 10.

Reaction Score
I'll still "settle" for what we got. But, just for argument's sake: Do your think Summer AAU performances can change rankings?

Sure. What makes you think these weren't post-summer AAU rankings?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It looks like the Hoopgurlz rankings reflect Premier rankings now.

Back to the list from this morning which might mean that's the permanent one.

7 of their top 20 going to one of the Carolinas.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Saylor up to 30. It does indeed seem they are making their updates in real time. I know i said i wouldn't comment till they were done, but my comments are more related to "which ones are right"...

There are some recruits who are #1, or top 5, or even top 10 according to the services we look at most - ESPN, Blue Star and Prospects Nation. Those are pretty easy - as in Fudd is #1 per everyone. But other players are all over the map. Blue Star seems to be really high on all the UCONN recruits. PN not as much, and ESPN HG is i mixed bag.

Most of us, when we do a deep dive, will look at the composite rankings, meaning the average of the rankings by all the services. Sometimes we get reports of ASGR, another service who I don't think publicly publishes their rankings. At any rate, at least an average of 3-4 services gives us a good idea of how the kids are ranked coming in.

A few of the biggest discrepancies i ever saw involved Kiah Stokes, Stef Dolson and Kelly Faris.
  • Kiah - 42, 14, 6, 9
  • Stef - 39, 24, 25, 12
  • Kelly - 34, 26, 9, 7
Kiah averaged about 18. Stef about 25. Kelly about 19. I think in general, for what those kids meant to UCONN, Stef and Kelly definitely performed way above their rankings, and Kiah was definitely better, but not by as huge a margin as the other 2.

I guess my point is as much as we scratch our heads at some of the numbers we see, the flip side is in a lot of ways the folks ranking for the services have a thankless task as most people will find many nits to pick with their numbers. But bottom line, taking the average should give us a decent idea of how good these kids are currently combined with how the evaluators view their potential. A very subjective science to be sure...

Reaction Score
LOL And it's just a coincidence that ESPN has contracts with both the ACC and SEC and none with the PAC12.
Great point Alydar. ESPN has a history of glorifying favorites. It seems that they latch onto one player or one issue and milk it until the cow runs dry. Their ex-jocks and ex-coaches fawn over players who, if you had to work with some, would lead you request a new work station.

Reaction Score
Great point Alydar. ESPN has a history of glorifying favorites. It seems that they latch onto one player or one issue and milk it until the cow runs dry. Their ex-jocks and ex-coaches fawn over players who, if you had to work with some, would lead you request a new work station.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom