Top prospects for 2021....ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Top prospects for 2021....ESPN

Reaction Score
Question: Will Blue Star and Prospect Nation update their rankings before NSD.

Questions # 2: Does anybody know the last time those two services updated?
Prospects Nation appears to have given up on their rankings for the most part. They stopped adding commitments and they also are yet to make a '22 list.

Prep Girls Hoops does national rankings which will be updated soon. I think they do a good job. ASGR's also may be updated soon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As difficult as it is to ignore the rankings we must. In Geno and CD we must trust their judgment they will watch tape watch in person do the background checks to see who is right for the Connecticut program regardless of the rankings. I’d rather have a lower ranked player with a higher basketball IQ so that she can learn from the best coaching staff in the country. As we have seen intelligence and drive play a major part in adjusting to the Connecticut system. It is fun to see the rankings but in reality they mean very little to Connecticut recruiting.
Our trust in CD and Geno is what must be separated from this current discussion. The ranking do not need to be ignored. The ranking are a fun discussion and I would disagree that they have little meaning to UCONN WCBB. When was the last time UCONN WCBB was not interested in or recruiting the #1 player in a HS class?

Reaction Score
Rankings don't really matter to me because if Geno wants the player and think they have the talent and the essentials to be successful in his system then by all means I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
Coach X is on the hot seat and about to get fired, he/she tells the AD just wait until next year, I have this amazing recruiting class coming in, he/she gets an additional couple of years at $1+mil/yr. When the kids show up and don't produce he/she will eventually be fired but they just made an additional couple million dollars. When I say "high level D1", I am not referring to perennial Top 10 teams, I am referring to the top 25% of schools. There are 331 D1 women's teams, those teams in the 40-80 range don't have the recruiting budgets of Top 10 schools, the coaches of those schools ABSOLUTELY pay close attention to recruiting rankings!
For the schools recruiting in that 40-80 range, the player pool that they're drawing from is so closely bunched talent wise that the amateur gurus can't tell them apart any better than we can. They have enough trouble settling on their top 50s let alone splitting hairs on kids in the 100-150 range. The 40-80 range schools are recruiting the way they always have, regionally. They drive to their region's AAU tournaments and HSs and use their eyes. And they do have trusted circles of HS coaches and others who tip them off to kids that may be able to play at their level. Beyond the last 10 years or so, only a small handful of schools had large recruiting budgets for WBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Often we see a player that seems to have great talent and of course we want them. Geno has other criteria that he deams important such as are their grades good enough to be a good fit, how are they as potential teammates, would they fit his system, what are their parents like (remember a person's values begin at home), etc. These things can be tricky but in general they succeed.

Reaction Score
As difficult as it is to ignore the rankings we must. In Geno and CD we must trust their judgment they will watch tape watch in person do the background checks to see who is right for the Connecticut program regardless of the rankings. I’d rather have a lower ranked player with a higher basketball IQ so that she can learn from the best coaching staff in the country. As we have seen intelligence and drive play a major part in adjusting to the Connecticut system. It is fun to see the rankings but in reality they mean very little to Connecticut recruiting.
In fact I’d take the bolded above a step further and say they mean absolutely nothing to Connecticut recruiting. I’d be willing to bet Geno doesn’t even glance at ‘experts’ rankings, never mind put any stock in them

Reaction Score
I think they earn their money with detailed individual scouting reports paid for by either the parents or the colleges. Coaches that don't have 6 figure recruiting budgets probably have to rely on these reports and their own networks to find players. So a rater shouldn't last long giving out BS advise.

But the shoe connection gave me a thought that maybe in the recruit's bio they should list the shoe of her HS/AAU teams and the shoe company of the schools recruiting her. It might help in predicting choices. :rolleyes:
Alydar, and isn't it sad that a wearing apparel that I paid two dollars for (high top sneakers) when I was so much younger, has beyond quadrupled, surpassing food items, furniture, kitchen utensils, and just about any other product sold in the fifties. Sadder still is that companies like Nike and Adidas, who so publicly support social changes, are making their fortunes off of children and young adults by selling them shoes made in third world countries for a small fraction of their cost. And the saddest part of all of this is that parents continue to pay hundreds of dollars for these cloth and rubber objects simply because they have an athletes name attached to them.

Reaction Score
Prospects Nation appears to have given up on their rankings for the most part. They stopped adding commitments and they also are yet to make a '22 list.

Prep Girls Hoops does national rankings which will be updated soon. I think they do a good job. ASGR's also may be updated soon.

I do like that Prep Girls Hoops lists each player by club. Would have been a big help during AAU season. Oh well, there's always next year.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Alydar, and isn't it sad that a wearing apparel that I paid two dollars for (high top sneakers) when I was so much younger, has beyond quadrupled, surpassing food items, furniture, kitchen utensils, and just about any other product sold in the fifties. Sadder still is that companies like Nike and Adidas, who so publicly support social changes, are making their fortunes off of children and young adults by selling them shoes made in third world countries for a small fraction of their cost. And the saddest part of all of this is that parents continue to pay hundreds of dollars for these cloth and rubber objects simply because they have an athletes name attached to them.

You can still get a pair of high top Chuck Taylor's for a reasonable price. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In fact I’d take the bolded above a step further and say they mean absolutely nothing to Connecticut recruiting. I’d be willing to bet Geno doesn’t even glance at ‘experts’ rankings, never mind put any stock in them

He might glance one morning over coffee but that's probably about it.

Coaches who have been entrenched for years, like Geno, have huge networks of high school coaches who contact him about prospects. Not just their own players, but also opponents. Is he looking at the list of 2022 or 2023 ranking of prospects to see who he's going to go after? No. He had his lists long ago.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno has a very reliable network of people providing him information about recruits. Some of these very reliable people are also in the rankings business. Nika Muhl first came to Geno's attention through this path. To your point, ultimately Geno trust his own eye more than anyone else. The rankings are data and while Geno is never going to be pouring over a rankings list the data might be helpful if for example you are going to stop pursuing a guard to go after IDK say Nika or Kia Nurse.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Middletown is in the smaller school division of the Central Maryland Conference so many of Middletown's opponents are lesser competition. Middletown plays these schools on a home and away schedule. They also play the larger school division teams once a year, which is tougher competition. Add in holiday tourney teams and other one-of games (like Mir's team last season) and they probably play 2/3 of the schedule against lesser teams.

The larger schools in Frederick County do send WBB athletes to smaller Division I schools, but there are exceptions: Makayla Daniels, formerly of Frederick High, was a starter for Arkansas last year as a freshman.
Frederick is always Middletown's toughest local opponent. They won two straight state championships before imploding last year (players quitting the team, coach later removed). If Saylor gets to play this season the Frederick game will be the one to see.
Yeah, I realize that Saylor can't do anything about Middletown's schedule. Saylor also has played on some AAU teams that did well. On Team USA, she was in the top 6 in most statistical categories. If there is a season, I expect Saylor to be the best player in Maryland, even better than those in Baltimore and the D.C. suburbs.

I'm familiar with Daniels's story. She must be really good.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I realize that Saylor can't do anything about Middletown's schedule. Saylor also has played on some AAU teams that did well. On Team USA, she was in the top 6 in most statistical categories. If there is a season, I expect Saylor to be the best player in Maryland, even better than those in Baltimore and the D.C. suburbs.

I'm familiar with Daniels's story. She must be really good.
The best thing Saylor could have done was transfer to a powerhouse program like Riverdale Baptist. Many players from public schools have gone this route. But compared to other public school systems, Frederick County is probably 7th/8th on the list in the state of Maryland.

Reaction Score
The best thing Saylor could have done was transfer to a powerhouse program like Riverdale Baptist. Many players from public schools have gone this route. But compared to other public school systems, Frederick County is probably 7th/8th on the list in the state of Maryland.
I think the best thing Saylor did was catch the eye of the UConn staff without transferring. Who da thunk

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I have just finished slicing, dicing and sorting out a new ranking list of 2021 recruits. Took info that was provided in this thread, Prospects Nation, Blue Star top 30 and HoopGurlz and put it to new spreadsheet. Averaged out new scores for recruits and the following is/are results.

Disclaimer: At no time was money exchanged for this list.

View attachment 58527

ASGR's list from February:

PrepGirlsHoops list:

Reaction Score
ASGR's list from February:

PrepGirlsHoops list:

Below is updated spreadsheet with ASGR and PrepGirlsHoops rankings added with average rank and sorted from low to high for this new ranking. Per my early post, I used Blue Star and the 30 players, they are the only service ranking Ava Learn at 29. Could probably remove that player but it's there so I left it.

Another disclaimer: Ideally I should have taken each ranking services top 30 and go from that..but as stated used the Blue Star top 30 as master list...I took the easy way out.

1599733116217.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At the risk of alienating those here that feel rankings mean ANYTHING after the first “few“ players (that number obviously varies somewhat year to year), “ranking gurus” have formed a lucrative cottage industry for themselves and profit from those that PT Barnum spoke of. And coming from one who coached high school for a decade and has scouted for much longer, don’t anyone kid themselves that players after that first “handful“ paying for “evaluations and rankings” is a rarity.

Reaction Score

Actually, I find it refreshing that it seems like she wants to be a normal high school kid and play on her local school's team with her friends. This decision doesn't seem to have hurt her basketball prospects.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its all compiled from which AAU teams you play for who is coaching those teams who is watching those teams. If you dont play in the top AAU tourneys your not seen thus not ranked. Geno knows how to evaluate talent and thats all that matters.

Reaction Score
Below is updated spreadsheet with ASGR and PrepGirlsHoops rankings added with average rank and sorted from low to high for this new ranking. Per my early post, I used Blue Star and the 30 players, they are the only service ranking Ava Learn at 29. Could probably remove that player but it's there so I left it.

Another disclaimer: Ideally I should have taken each ranking services top 30 and go from that..but as stated used the Blue Star top 30 as master list...I took the easy way out.

View attachment 58567

I greatly appreciate and respect your hard work. However, I offer the following opinion:

Rankings 1-18 are valid rankings.
These prospects are in the Top 30 of all five rankings. Therefore, this is a true cumulative ranking. (Though the average ranking score of Saniya Rivers should be adjusted to 3.3 because she is ranked #2 by Prospect Nation.)

Rankings 18-30 are invalid as a cumulative ranking. Why? There are two reasons. First, these rankings are biased in favor of Blue Star. Second, 4 of these players are unranked by one or more of the services.

Blue Star Top 30 Bias: You start with only the Top 30 of Blue Star. This eliminates a number of Good Prospects who are ranked below 30 by that service.
Example: Laila Phelia (Michigan). She is ranked 31 by Blue Star, 54 by Prospect nation, 28 by HoopGurlz, 61 by ASGR, and 33 by PGH for a total of 207. Thus, her average score would be 41.4. That places her cumulative ranking above the player that Blue Star ranks as #20, Jada Walker. The same problem applies to Bree Hall (SCar) and perhaps a few others.

Players unranked by other some or all other services: The BlueStar bias is clearly apparent in Example one below.
Example One: Ava Learn (Purdue) is ranked #25 by Blue Star. However, NONE of the other services appear to have her ranked! Thus, she cannot have a "cumulative" score. The other services rank either 75 or 100 prospects. To be fair, let's assume that the other services rank her 76. That would give her a cumulative score of 329 and a cumulative ranking of 65.8. A similar problem exists with Macie James.
Example Two: Jada Walker. She is unranked by Prospect Nation who ranks 75 prospects. She has a total score of 167 from the 4 other services. To be truly cululative in relation to the other players, you should assign her a theoretical Prospect Nation ranking of 76. Thus, her cumulative score should be 243. That makes her cumulative ranking 48.6. Yeah, this one is more picky than example one.

Again, I salute your effort and it has been a great contribution to this board (the best their is). However, I only consider the first 18 to be truly cumulative rankings. To be perfectly cumulative beyond that point, it would need to compare the top 75 of all 5 services.

Thank you for your hard work!

Reaction Score
Its all compiled from which AAU teams you play for who is coaching those teams who is watching those teams. If you dont play in the top AAU tourneys your not seen thus not ranked. Geno knows how to evaluate talent and thats all that matters.

And the services recognize that. Thus, a prospect who is being actively pursued by UConn and the other Top contenders is going to be more highly rated when that interest becomes apparent. Let's call it "the contender bump." UConn is the prime contender, but it applies to SCar, Baylor, Maryland, Notre Dame, Stanford.etc. Maybe even Oregon now.

I will freely admit that the recent ESPN ranking's rise of Scar's commits was a "contender bump." I've seen it in football for decades with Bama, Ohio State, etc where it's not just ESPN bumping but powerful recruiting services like 247 and Rivals. But, let's keep in mind that ESPN is biased toward teams that it will be televising

Reaction Score
I greatly appreciate and respect your hard work. However, I offer the following opinion:

Rankings 1-18 are valid rankings. These prospects are in the Top 30 of all five rankings. Therefore, this is a true cumulative ranking. (Though the average ranking score of Saniya Rivers should be adjusted to 3.3 because she is ranked #2 by Prospect Nation.)

Rankings 18-30 are invalid as a cumulative ranking. Why? There are two reasons. First, these rankings are biased in favor of Blue Star. Second, 4 of these players are unranked by one or more of the services.

Blue Star Top 30 Bias: You start with only the Top 30 of Blue Star. This eliminates a number of Good Prospects who are ranked below 30 by that service.
Example: Laila Phelia (Michigan). She is ranked 31 by Blue Star, 54 by Prospect nation, 28 by HoopGurlz, 61 by ASGR, and 33 by PGH for a total of 207. Thus, her average score would be 41.4. That places her cumulative ranking above the player that Blue Star ranks as #20, Jada Walker. The same problem applies to Bree Hall (SCar) and perhaps a few others.

Players unranked by other some or all other services: The BlueStar bias is clearly apparent in Example one below.
Example One: Ava Learn (Purdue) is ranked #25 by Blue Star. However, NONE of the other services appear to have her ranked! Thus, she cannot have a "cumulative" score. The other services rank either 75 or 100 prospects. To be fair, let's assume that the other services rank her 76. That would give her a cumulative score of 329 and a cumulative ranking of 65.8. A similar problem exists with Macie James.
Example Two: Jada Walker. She is unranked by Prospect Nation who ranks 75 prospects. She has a total score of 167 from the 4 other services. To be truly cululative in relation to the other players, you should assign her a theoretical Prospect Nation ranking of 76. Thus, her cumulative score should be 243. That makes her cumulative ranking 48.6. Yeah, this one is more picky than example one.

Again, I salute your effort and it has been a great contribution to this board (the best their is). However, I only consider the first 18 to be truly cumulative rankings. To be perfectly cumulative beyond that point, it would need to compare the top 75 of all 5 services.

Thank you for your hard work!

Ok, you forced my hand! ;) will you take top 30 of each services? I realize the rankings are based towards Blue Star top 30 and yes, the other 4 services do not have the same players/names in top 30...so because you thanked me for my hard work I have gone the extra mile with this new one. I have taken top 30 players from each of the 5 services and went to work to come up with this new one. (In my earlier reply to you I said "yes divide by 3". I don't think that was a true statement...if Excel sees only 2 or 3 rankings per player I'm assuming it averages out based on them 2 or 3...but now I believe this to be more to your liking. (again this one is based on top 30 of each ranking service)

...another disclaimer: there will be no more adjustments to this composite result. :rolleyes:
1599752620443.png

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom