Top prospects for 2021....ESPN | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Top prospects for 2021....ESPN

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
My tinfoil hat post was an attempt at SELF-DEPRECATING humor. I meant no offense to CocoHusky - who is a great poster and with whom I have enjoyed numerous conversations. I would go back and edit to blue font if I could. (Does blue font indicate sarcastic humor on this board?) Apparently you can't edit after someone has responded /quoted a post.
That would help...or as I have suggested before, to many, a simple (insert sarcasm here) would be beneficial as to your meaning. I stand corrected.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Perfect post. While most of us on this board spend significant time focused on women's college basketball, we are in a VERY small minority of the sports world. Few writers truly understand the sport so when a player gets offers, they get on the radar and they get ranked When they get interest from the top teams, their ranking goes up. When they commit to a top team, they get even more notice and sometimes their ranking goes up. Not a lot of independent thought out there by the writers and sports "analysists."
While some of what you say is true. They are still ranked against the other players who are "now" on the radar. It's a ranking of the players they have evaluated.....it's not a "well they got an offer so we will place them here" type of thing as has been suggested. It's more of a "Ok...now that they are on the radar, how do they stack up ?".....If you have 100 players...you evaluate those 100 players against each other...not where they committed. It's really a simple method in that regard.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It is my unfettered belief and conviction that all debates about the top 2021 recruiting class will be resolved in 4 years. Who is going to stay with their high school selection and who is going to show tremendous improvement are all speculation. I look for players who can flourish in the UConn system. Not all great high school players can develop under the UConn style of coaching. UConn coaching is different as Cheryl Reeve says 'UConn players are plug and play.' in the W.

Reaction Score
PBR had (still do according to website) ratings and rankings available for a fee for both girls and boys prior to partnership with ESPN.

They also have a subscription for coaches to receive their scouting reports. If I remember correctly they have 2 national scouts, 1 international scout, 1 scout that is also a coach that only scouts Texas. It is not a huge company, it’s just common sense that the more times your team plays in PBR hosted tournaments the more exposure you will get.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Yeah, I realize that Saylor can't do anything about Middletown's schedule. Saylor also has played on some AAU teams that did well. On Team USA, she was in the top 6 in most statistical categories. If there is a season, I expect Saylor to be the best player in Maryland, even better than those in Baltimore and the D.C. suburbs.

I'm familiar with Daniels's story. She must be really good.
Thought I'd post something that wasn't about South Carolina or Notre Dame.

Saylor's HS team can begin conditioning and practice on Feb. 1. Games will be played from Feb. 21 - March 27 (about 5 weeks), so obviously a limited number of games.

Also: Rose Boubacar, a 6'1" wing from Frederick HS, just committed to BYU. She was the second best player in the CMC last year. She is an aggressive rebounder, good defender and can score inside and out. Hope Frederick and Middletown can play at least one game during the season or in the CMC Championship game. I thought maybe Brenda would give Boubacar a look, but I guess she was too busy recruiting in Ohio.

Reaction Score
Maryland don't need another 6'1" wing. Especially with 6'2" Sellers and 6'3" Reynolds in the pipeline (and probably Reynolds sister after that if all goes well).

Reaction Score
You can still get a pair of high top Chuck Taylor's for a reasonable price. :rolleyes:

When I was at UConn (1968-72) one of the guys lived in Massachusetts (Fitchburg, I think) near the Converse factory. You could send him home with $5 and he'd bring a pair of seconds back - hi tops, low tops, black, white, red, green or blue. Gosh, I'm Old!

Reaction Score
When I was at UConn (1968-72) one of the guys lived in Massachusetts (Fitchburg, I think) near the Converse factory. You could send him home with $5 and he'd bring a pair of seconds back - hi tops, low tops, black, white, red, green or blue. Gosh, I'm Old!

If you're like me, you still have a couple of Chuck Taylors in the closet.:cool:

Reaction Score

LOL And here I thought I was the only 1972 still alive! :D

Reaction Score
Alydar, and isn't it sad that a wearing apparel that I paid two dollars for (high top sneakers) when I was so much younger, has beyond quadrupled, surpassing food items, furniture, kitchen utensils, and just about any other product sold in the fifties. Sadder still is that companies like Nike and Adidas, who so publicly support social changes, are making their fortunes off of children and young adults by selling them shoes made in third world countries for a small fraction of their cost. And the saddest part of all of this is that parents continue to pay hundreds of dollars for these cloth and rubber objects simply because they have an athletes name attached to them.

Well who would have thought that jeans filled with rips would sell for a $100+ ?

I've still got my old vintage 1970 allstars. I saw a pair on ebay asking $1,200.00. Who woulda thunk.

Reaction Score
Let's move from these undocumented perceptions to keeping it real and naming names.
I'll start with Amari Deberry who was #2 Player in the class when she committed to UCONN. Then I want to talk about Aubrey Griffin. Followed by AEH, Lexi Gordon. Moving on to Napheesa Collier & Boykin,& Coombs.
Courtney Ekmark & Saniya Chong name should come into play also. My perception is that these players rose of ( mostly) fell for reasons unrelated to their UCONN signing.

Chong went from unranked to about No 70. She may have rose because of UConn or because she won the Parade NPOY award but the bottom line is that the rating services thought nothing of her until someone other than the rater took notice. The rater ignored his/her own opinion and adopted the opinion of others, and that is not an objective evaluation in any case.

Players from the northeast tend to get ignored in a relative sense.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Chong went from unranked to about No 70. She may have rose because of UConn or because she won the Parade NPOY award but the bottom line is that the rating services thought nothing of her until someone other than the rater took notice. The rater ignored his/her own opinion and adopted the opinion of others, and that is not an objective evaluation in any case.
:eek: So let me get this straight. According to our Stanford fans recent post, the rating services tend to be bias against the players from the west coast. There was some "self proclaimed" rating guru a few years back that said the rating were biased against players from the south. There was another poster that said the rating tend to inflate players from Texas. You are stating players from the northeast tend to get ignored. I supposed that leaves the mid west but here is my real questions. If you are being equally biased (this might be a oxymoron) against everyone and every region of the country, are you really be bias?

Reaction Score
:eek: So let me get this straight. According to our Stanford fans recent post, the rating services tend to be bias against the players from the west coast. There was some "self proclaimed" rating guru a few years back that said the rating were biased against players from the south. There was another poster that said the rating tend to inflate players from Texas. You are stating players from the northeast tend to get ignored. I supposed that leaves the mid west but here is my real questions. If you are being equally biased (this might be a oxymoron) against everyone and every region of the country, are you really be bias?

That depends on everyone being right. And I never said bias, but ignored. The NE players generally don't play national HS tournaments. I don't follow AAU but I never seem to read any of the PN or BS folks writing up a New England AAU tournament on their sites. That's what I meant by ignored and in no way do I suspect regional predudice.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Back in the day I received a call from a very close friend about a phenom from Ossining HS. He told me what a great scorer she was. He kept me updated on her and said you better contact UConn. I sent emails to the UConn telling them about her. He said there was a game coming up with Ossining playing CTK with Sierra Calhoun. I was invited and was intoduced to Coach Ricci and met and talked with the Godfather of CTK Vince Cannizzaro. I met a lot of great young players that afternoon including an 12 year old named Danielle Patterson 6'3 who wanted to play for UConn ended up at ND and is now at Indiana. Saniya with the flu scored like a machine. I beleive in the 4th qtr she scored over 20 pts. Geno and Chris were there and we chatted for a minute. Packed house and MSG was broadcasting the game. Geno and Chris liked what they saw and the rest is history. I beleive thats when Saniyas ranking moved up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Back in the day I received a call from a very close friend about a phenom from Ossining HS. He told me what a great scorer she was. He kept me updated on her and said you better contact UConn. I sent emails to the UConn telling them about her. He said there was a game coming up with Ossining playing CTK with Sierra Calhoun. I was invited and was intoduced to Coach Ricci and met and talked with the Godfather of CTK Vince Cannizzaro. I met a lot of great young players that afternoon including an 12 year old named Danielle Patterson 6'3 who wanted to play for UConn ended up at ND and is now at Indiana. Saniya with the flu scored like a machine. I beleive in the 4th qtr she scored over 20 pts. Geno and Chris were there and we chatted for a minute. Packed house and MSG was broadcasting the game. Geno and Chris liked what they saw and the rest is history. I beleive thats when Saniyas ranking moved up.
:eek: So Saniya moved up in the ranking based on her performance? Did know that was possible. :D

Reaction Score
After getting a look at some summer highlights of Feagin, I'm definitely buying her top 5 rating.

I think she has the lowest floor and possibly also still the highest upside in South Carolina's class.

Reaction Score
:eek: So Saniya moved up in the ranking based on her performance? Did know that was possible. :D

How could the raters move her up when they didn't see her performance? It wasn't an isolated game. She had many outstanding games that merited a rating but she played on a HS team that didn't travel and an AAU team that was essentially her HS team (same coach) that also stayed local. The rankers never saw her play so why did they move her up? They moved her into the rankings only because UConn showed interest which doesn't say much for the integrity of their process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom