Tom Izzo Out of Control | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo Out of Control

Reaction Score
This thread is insane. There can be reasons for going after Izzo for being a scumbag but going after a kid is not one of them...especially if you're a UConn fan.
Calhoun's on court behavior in today's world would be even more strongly criticized. So to should Izzo's. He looked totally out of control and unprofessional which, sadly, has become his norm.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Calhoun's on court behavior in today's world would be even more strongly criticized. So to should Izzo's. He looked totally out of control and unprofessional which, sadly, has become his norm.

@Devland but it’s the kids who made themselves “soft”

Reaction Score
Calhoun and Izzo are blue collar and rough around the edges fine, but Calhoun is more genuine it seems and ultimately likeable even after a blowup. Izzo not so much, always seemed like an act. Shouldn’t he have been run out after the athletic scandal? He gave no defense and hung on.

Reaction Score
@Devland but it’s the kids who made themselves “soft”
Has nothing to do with kids being soft. Why don't you act like Izzo did at work today and see where that gets you. This isn't about the kid. He wasn't even taken out of the game which makes the outburst even more absurd.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with kids being soft. Why don't you act like Izzo did at work today and see where that gets you. This isn't about the kid. He wasn't even taken out of the game which makes the outburst even more absurd.
Please stop, this reads like a parody account...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Certain behavior is accepted in certain workplaces. Not every place is the same.

Reaction Score
This is only being a bigger story than it actually should be because of the lack of high-level excitement from yesterday's games. It's a clickbait headline.

He got pissed at a player for not putting in a consistent effort, big deal.

Reaction Score
Certain behavior is accepted in certain workplaces. Not every place is the same.
This reminds me of a Bill Burr set. There are plenty of reasons why you may want to berate a person, you just shouldn't do it. I don't really care about yesterday or Tom Izzo. I do think he looked like a jerk and I definitely think that if Boneyarders want to come here and call him out on it, they definitely should.

Reaction Score
A lot of these reactions are preconstrued or predetermined by the coach before he even does it. The goal of reacting that way is to change the behavior of the individual your reacting to. As long as your not reacting like that all the time, it typically has a great future effect on the individual your reacting to. I am also pretty confident that Izzo knows his players well enough at this point in the season so I’m sure he knew that Henry would take the coaching & constructive criticism well & would perform better from it & that’s what he did.

To me Izzo’s move was brilliant, not only did Henry wake up, sometimes you manage that way in front of multiple people so they indirectly receive the same message & they change the behavior for the better & your able to signify what is tolerable & what isn’t, MSU definitely responded.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
CDB34800-C8C9-40AC-99FF-8009E062DBB0.jpeg

Reaction Score
Calhoun: 'Sorry If People Misconstrued My Interaction With DeAndre Daniels'
UConn has reviewed an incident that took place late in the Huskies' loss at Rutgers on Saturday night when coach Jim Calhoun appeared to jab freshman DeAndre Daniels in the midsection.

Calhoun issued a statement: "I'm sorry if people misconstrued my interaction with DeAndre Daniels, made in an effort to get his attention in the final minutes of the Rutgers game. DeAndre and I have spoken about it."

Daniels, who had trouble getting the ball inbounds, called a timeout. As he walked to the bench, Calhoun, obviously incensed, got very close to him and, as SNY cameras suggest, there was contact made, though the view is blocked by players. Calhoun grabbed Daniels' shirt after the jab. Photos taken just afterward show Calhoun's fist closed.
Advice for the MSU player:

Calhoun criticized for sideline behavior
We ran a photo on Tuesday of a fire-breathing coach Jim Calhoun screaming at Ryan Boatright during UConn's game against West Virginia on Monday.

Heading into a timeout early in the second half, Calhoun stomped toward Boatright and then blasted the freshman guard while standing face-to-face.

Boatright took the heat without saying a word.

It was an uncomfortable, cringe-worthy moment.

Here's what Boatright said about the situation:

"You've got two options: You can either suck it up like a man and play through it and be coachable. Or you can let it get to you and you get down on yourself and get mad and let it take you all the way out of our game.

"He's going to be coaching, no matter what. He's not going to change. It's the way you respond to it, and I responded well.

"I just knew I had to make some plays happen and play smart and he'll be happy."

In the moment I bet a lot of people hated the optics of these two situations, especially non-UConn fans. But the long term benefits of these moments paid off immensely. Because of moments like these the 2014 was easily the toughest team mentally in 2014 and one of the toughest all time in UConn history.

There is something to be said for tough love.

Reaction Score
22 Straight tournament appearances is all that matters. Despite all the bad behavior both on and off the court, people just look the other way.

Reaction Score
Kid in the blue shirt in the background cracks me up. Trying read lips... kind of looks like he's saying "Huge Mutton Flower"

You got the first letters right, lol

Reaction Score
This thread is a joke. Guy is into and coaching his heart out. Doesn't want to go home because of lack of effort and/or because of repeated mistakes that he has already addressed to certain players. Grow a pair OPer. JC was way worse than this at times. As long as he doesn't strike the kid and as long as it is degrading epithets that attack him personally (which we don't know, however I have always thought of Izzo as a good guy). If he is cussing him out for not hustling or being in the right spot than the kid will learn. I'm sure as all great coaches do he will build him back up and discuss in a calm manner his deficiencies after the game. And then tear him down when he does it again.

Reaction Score
I suppose you think army drill sargeants should also mimic the generic office workspace too, right? Be warned snowflakes, spring is here.

Reaction Score
MSU players tend to stay for four years. He must be doing something right. I miss Jim Calhoun every day! He was tough but his players respected him and created a family.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of a Bill Burr set. There are plenty of reasons why you may want to berate a person, you just shouldn't do it. I don't really care about yesterday or Tom Izzo. I do think he looked like a jerk and I definitely think that if Boneyarders want to come here and call him out on it, they definitely should.
He yelled at the kid for not doing what he was told and has probably been told a thousand times. If you didn't hear the actual words, you don't know if he actually berated him. I prefer Geno's sarcastic style to eyes popping out but, either way, it is a means to an end.

Reaction Score
My son will be playing D1 baseball next year. In meeting with the coach he said “I’m going to continually knock you to the ground, to help you get better. But I’m also going to be the first guy to reach out my hand and help you back up.” We were sold at that moment!

Reaction Score
He yelled at the kid for not doing what he was told and has probably been told a thousand times. If you didn't hear the actual words, you don't know if he actually berated him. I prefer Geno's sarcastic style to eyes popping out but, either way, it is a means to an end.
Please. I didn't need to hear anything. The fact that other kids felt compelled to seperate them tells me all I need to know. I don't know how I find myself debating this, but people justifying what Izzo did and how he looked is a joke. Why is it ok for a coach to act like that and no one else? Its not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom