To the people who say this is not about coaching | Page 4 | The Boneyard

To the people who say this is not about coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's the thing, there's just not many of them. I agree you have to surround him with smart quality players. But you could kinda say that about most posts, outside of the Anthony Davis's of the world, no?

But Jake and Hilton got noticeably better. ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm curious how old you are. Were you around for the 1998-1999 season? Any of the more experienced fans on here want to explain how Voskuhl helped the team so well? That team was so good because everyone had a role and played it well. Rip and El-Amin wouldn't have been as good without Voskuhl setting great picks on most offensive possessions. Something this year's team could use.
Jake was an incredibly effective player with his skills, which were significant. Players routinely bounced off of him when he set a pick (i.e. set a screen). He was a powerful player and played great position defense. He was a strong outlet passer and was a better passer than any of our current bigs, which is not saying a lot. Watch games from the '99 season and post-season and see how he did against all the bigs he played against. He generally dominated the paint in that post-season and he and Freeman stopped Brand from being a critical factor in the title game (even though he got his points and boards).

Reaction Score
Armstrong and Voskuhl were on Championship (caliber) teams and they really didn't start drawing real next level interest until they were seniors.

Agree more or less on Hilton but he did show improvement every year, but the biggest jump was his senior year. Not with Jake, he showed early he was going to be a tough kid and scrap when given minutes. His skills got better every year but he was always physical, good passer form the high post and a really solid low post defender. Sure he was really good his senior year but as Hooper said he was a huge piece because he knew where to set picks, where to hold them and who to hold them for. As a defender his ability to play really physical, hit first and recognize where to be and help was more important than most of our shot blockers who roamed the middle.

Big part of Rip and KEA's plan to get open looks. To me one of themes underrated players in UConn history.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how old you are. Were you around for the 1998-1999 season? Any of the more experienced fans on here want to explain how Voskuhl helped the team so well? That team was so good because everyone had a role and played it well. Rip and El-Amin wouldn't have been as good without Voskuhl setting great picks on most offensive possessions. Something this year's team could use.

Actually I am and was there live for the NC in St Pete. You made my point though, he was a solid role player that turned a good senior season into a pro contract as a 7 footer. Sub a serviceable center that can rebound (and I guess set picks if you want) on that team and they roll still through the season. Maybe they don't beat Brand with someone other than Jake but only because he matched up well and JC had a brilliant game plan to stop him. My original point was that Armstrong and Voskuhl flourished as seniors and not much before.

Reaction Score
Actually I am and was there live for the NC in St Pete. You made my point though, he was a solid role player that turned a good senior season into a pro contract as a 7 footer. Sub a serviceable center that can rebound (and I guess set picks if you want) on that team and they roll still through the season. Maybe they don't beat Brand with someone other than Jake but only because he matched up well and JC had a brilliant game plan to stop him. My original point was that Armstrong and Voskuhl flourished as seniors and not much before.
My point was that a 4 year starter, on some very good teams, who was a recruit ranked 200+ coming out of high school is excellent production for a 3 star recruit. The whole point of bringing up Jake was intended to answer the original question posted above, "Hell, have we had a more productive 3-star recruit in the last 20 years?" Jake and Hilton were the 2 players people came up with and I agreed on both.

I guess you and I are answering totally different questions because I don't know how anyone could make an argument that Jake didn't way outplay his 3 star ranking coming out of high school. Just being a 4 year starter proves that point. You're arguing Jake wasn't a star player in college. I'd agree on that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My point was that a 4 year starter, on some very good teams, who was a recruit ranked 200+ coming out of high school is excellent production for a 3 star recruit. The whole point of bringing up Jake was intended to answer the original question posted above, "Hell, have we had a more productive 3-star recruit in the last 20 years?" Jake and Hilton were the 2 players people came up with and I agreed on both.

I guess you and I are answering totally different questions because I don't know how anyone could make an argument that Jake didn't way outplay his 3 star ranking coming out of high school. Just being a 4 year starter proves that point. You're arguing Jake wasn't a star player in college. I'd agree on that.

I think it's important to mention that Jake was a Top 5 All Hair team for UCONN as well. Not to be overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom