To the people who say this is not about coaching | The Boneyard

To the people who say this is not about coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It absolutely is about coaching. Like it or not, the coaching staff is responsible for everything this program does.

Whose fault is it that Gibbs has been playing out of position and being asked to do things he is CLEARLY incapable of doing?
Whose fault is it that the same stupid decision making keeps happening over and over with no repurcussions?
Whose fault is it that game in and game out substitution patterns feel like they're being made after referencing the Magic 8 Ball?
Whose fault is it that lack of hustle and lack of energy are accepted instead of punished?
Whose fault is it that we haven't got ONE call all year while the refs keep running us over, backing up, and running us over again?
Whose fault is it that we have more shot clock violations this year than probably in the last 1o combined?

I'm not naive enough to not see that Purvis' inability to make a layup and Hamilton's lackadaisical D is on the players. But a coaching staff has the ability to create a situation where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole in many, many ways. In this case, while we definitely have deficiencies that are difficult to hide (neither Kemba nor Shabazz are walking through that door anytime soon), there is talent that if utilized properly would have us in much better position. I could deal with last year, we were coming off the loss of one of the two great individual performers in the history of UConn basketball. I CAN'T accept this year though....this team has not improved at all over the course of the year, and we are once again going to be a non-factor deep into March.

There is no escaping the cross we have to bear with this lousy conference. But I repeat what others have said, and I've said for the last few years....if this conference is so God-awful, why aren't we dominating it?? The next two years will decide whether we continue to be relevant, or go the way of St. John's. Has to start with the head man on down.

Whoever said you'd take this back in 2012....I guarantee you wouldn't have taken getting swept by Temple, Cincinnati and losing to Houston at home with our NCAA hopes on the line. I just don't see the energy, the passion.

And saying to the media "we need to get tougher".....that don't cut it either. I'd like to hear one story about having a hard practice after a lousy game like Calhoun used to do. Or someone getting in a fight at practice. Something that shows this team has a pulse. Certainly didn't see that today. We were having our way, got punched in the face, and then basically laid down. That's unacceptable if you ask me, and I'm far from an entitled UConn fan....I started following them in the mid-1970s.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It absolutely is about coaching. Like it or not, the coaching staff is responsible for everything this program does.

Whose fault is it that Gibbs has been playing out of position and being asked to do things he is CLEARLY incapable of doing?
Whose fault is it that the same stupid decision making keeps happening over and over with no repurcussions?
Whose fault is it that game in and game out substitution patterns feel like they're being made after referencing the Magic 8 Ball?
Whose fault is it that lack of hustle and lack of energy are accepted instead of punished?
Whose fault is it that we haven't got ONE call all year while the refs keep running us over, backing up, and running us over again?
Whose fault is it that we have more shot clock violations this year than probably in the last 1o combined?

I'm not naive enough to not see that Purvis' inability to make a layup and Hamilton's lackadaisical D is on the players. But a coaching staff has the ability to create a situation where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole in many, many ways. In this case, while we definitely have deficiencies that are difficult to hide (neither Kemba nor Shabazz are walking through that door anytime soon), there is talent that if utilized properly would have us in much better position. I could deal with last year, we were coming off the loss of one of the two great individual performers in the history of UConn basketball. I CAN'T accept this year though....this team has not improved at all over the course of the year, and we are once again going to be a non-factor deep into March.

There is no escaping the cross we have to bear with this lousy conference. But I repeat what others have said, and I've said for the last few years....if this conference is so God-awful, why aren't we dominating it?? The next two years will decide whether we continue to be relevant, or go the way of St. John's. Has to start with the head man on down.

Whoever said you'd take this back in 2012....I guarantee you wouldn't have taken getting swept by Temple, Cincinnati and losing to Houston at home with our NCAA hopes on the line. I just don't see the energy, the passion.

And saying to the media "we need to get tougher".....that don't cut it either. I'd like to hear one story about having a hard practice after a lousy game like Calhoun used to do. Or someone getting in a fight at practice. Something that shows this team has a pulse. Certainly didn't see that today. We were having our way, got punched in the face, and then basically laid down. That's unacceptable if you ask me, and I'm far from an entitled UConn fan....I started following them in the mid-1970s.

This post is so over the top in so many ways
WOW
If you have been following since the 70'syou have lost your perspective somewhere down the road
Take a chill pill and get a grip

Reaction Score
The in-game coaching hasn't been great. KO is in his third year following the greatest coach in school history and a Top 5 coach in CBB history. So to us the problems are more glaring perhaps.

But there are so many assumptions about what was done and why without the requisite knowledge to have a full picture that it reeks of the worst kind of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Reaction Score
This is why it's so crucial to have a deep bench. It allows you to make a statement without losing the game.

He pulled out Hamilton. Sat him on the bench. Less than 30 seconds into the second half. Then he brought Hamilton back in when Omar drove under the basket and was blocked.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Of course the buck always stops with the coach but this group of players doesn't have it. They just don't. Everyone is waiting for someone else to take control, and guys like Adams and DHam haven't developed enough to do it successfully yet.

Reaction Score
Probably the best post in 4 years. Instead of looking at the facts, as you've done, people continue to defend Ollie. He can't coach.

Whoever said in 2012 that they would have signed up for this must have been a Providence fan.

Reaction Score
Only thing I'm really going to pay attention to moving forward is if Ollie really is pulling Hamilton IMMEDIATELY after he makes a bonehead mistake, b/c the last 5-6 min of the first half of this Houston game Ollie did nothing about Hamilton's god awful play. Doesn't pull the guy, but is fine with ragging on him in the post game conference....hmmmm

Reaction Score
How do you punish lack of hustle? Multiple players weren't hustling.

Put in Nnamdi Amilo? Is that the solution?
JC did start Johnnie Bird one game. I assume that was to make a point.

Reaction Score
Probably the best post in 4 years. Instead of looking at the facts, as you've done, people continue to defend Ollie. He can't coach.

Whoever said in 2012 that they would have signed up for this must have been a Providence fan.
Didn't realize Providence fans celebrated national championships that often nor that people who have won national championships cannot coach.

Reaction Score
It rarely is about the X's and O's, It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. It always comes down to talent on the floor. At the end of the day, gotta be able to make shots!!!!!

Reaction Score

I guess the new Uconn fan has to have really really low expectations, be good at excuse making, the team sucks because of the APR ban in 2013, not because this is the worst coached Uconn team in probably 20 years! Oh and I started following Uconn early 1960s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
How do you punish lack of hustle? Multiple players weren't hustling.

Put in Nnamdi Amilo? Is that the solution?
JC would have! but what the duck did he know. You like the way not hustling is getting handled by KO better? I was at a game with USF in Tampa, I think it was Kemba's freshmen year, Uconn was playing much like yesterday. JC pulled the whole team with 5 min left in the first half except for Kemba and left them on the bench for the rest of the game, we were down about 15 or so and got with in 3 at the end before losing. We were disappointed that we didn't get to see the starters but I was proud that the coach of my favorite team would not put up with what you saw yesterday. Were Uconn and we play hard and if your going to watch your man run by you for a layup then you can have a seat and watch him from the bench. Watching KO coach you'd have a hard time believing he ever played for JC! Sad but true.

Reaction Score
I guess the new Uconn fan has to have really really low expectations, be good at excuse making, the team sucks because of the APR ban in 2013, not because this is the worst coached Uconn team in probably 20 years! Oh and I started following Uconn early 1960s.

Lol. Worst coached team in 20 years. Go back to 2012 and see what people said there about a team with Drummond, Napier, Boatright, Daniels, etc.

Or the 2010 team with Sticks, Dyson, Kemba, Edwards...

Poster 1: Offers perspective...
Poster 2: LOW EXPECTATIONS! MID MAJOR THINKING! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

Reaction Score

You made a whole post about how Calhoun's retirement could have long term influence, and specifically pointed out how it would affect recruiting: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/calhoun-needs-to-deside-now.16100/

Reaction Score
Lol. Worst coached team in 20 years. Go back to 2012 and see what people said there about a team with Drummond, Napier, Boatright, Daniels, etc.

Or the 2010 team with Sticks, Dyson, Kemba, Edwards...

Poster 1: Offers perspective...
Poster 2: LOW EXPECTATIONS! MID MAJOR THINKING! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!
Yes, 2012 was horrible. It was also the most bizzare season in modern UConn history. Great players had mediocre seasons and kids that were once good kids turned into team cancers. But, do you think we would have made the NCAA tournament in 2013, had we been eligible? And two years later we won the whole damn thing. Again, Ollie deserves some credit for those seasons. But the reality is that Calhoun picked and recruited those players. The concern is, if this trend continues for a third year in a row, it may be because of the kids KO is picking and/or is able to get. If we get another season like this next year, either something is wrong with our coach that has caused him to lose his ability to coach effectively or people have been way too quick to label him a great recruiter. Now, he absolutely deserves another year or two but, seriously, he needs to put a team out there that is nowhere near the bubble at this point of the season very soon. Next year Hamilton will be a junior, Adams will be a sophmore and Gilbert will be coming in as a very hyped freshman. He really should be able to do some damage in this crappy conference if those kids are anywhere near as good as people here claimed they were. And I didn't even mention that Brimah will be a senior, Purvis could be back and we add Larrier, who has been a much hyped transfer. And I am not even expecting any significant contributions from the other incoming freshman. In today's age of college basketball, when you see what teams like puke and kentucky are putting on the floor, next year's team is far from young and in need of more time. They really should be a tournament lock based on their hype and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom