To the people who say this is not about coaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

To the people who say this is not about coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JC would have! but what the did he know. You like the way not hustling is getting handled by KO better? I was at a game with USF in Tampa, I think it was Kemba's freshmen year, Uconn was playing much like yesterday. JC pulled the whole team with 5 min left in the first half except for Kemba and left them on the bench for the rest of the game, we were down about 15 or so and got with in 3 at the end before losing. We were disappointed that we didn't get to see the starters but I was proud that the coach of my favorite team would not put up with what you saw yesterday. Were Uconn and we play hard and if your going to watch your man run by you for a layup then you can have a seat and watch him from the bench. Watching KO coach you'd have a hard time believing he ever played for JC! Sad but true.

Ollie pulled Hamilton.

Did people watch yesterday's game?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Probably the best post in 4 years. Instead of looking at the facts, as you've done, people continue to defend Ollie. He can't coach.

Whoever said in 2012 that they would have signed up for this must have been a Providence fan.

Stupid is what stupid says - above is a perfect example

Reaction Score
Ollie pulled Hamilton.

Yes I watched the game, did you? The 8-0 run end of the first half, he pulled no one. Hamilton left his man all day to shoot uncontested 3's. he pulled him for a minute or two and put him back in. Almost nobody got back in transition most of the game, ( 18 fast break points ) and nobody got pulled for it and it continued all damn game. The Houston coach came up with a game plan to beat SMU on the road against L BROWN so he has a clue. His game plan was to run the ball down our throats all game and thats exactly what he did, and we never responded or made any adjustments. KO JUST SAT THERE AND WATCHED. How many games has KO gotten schooled horribly this year? And what exactly

Reaction Score
Yes I watched the game, did you? The 8-0 run end of the first half, he pulled no one. Hamilton left his man all day to shoot uncontested 3's. he pulled him for a minute or two and put him back in. Almost nobody got back in transition most of the game, ( 18 fast break points ) and nobody got pulled for it and it continued all damn game. The Houston coach came up with a game plan to beat SMU on the road against L BROWN so he has a clue. His game plan was to run the ball down our throats all game and thats exactly what he did, and we never responded or made any adjustments. KO JUST SAT THERE AND WATCHED. How many games has KO gotten schooled horribly this year? And what exactly

You didn't watch the game. He pulled him less than 30 seconds into the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Ollie pulled Hamilton.

Did people watch yesterday's game?[/QUOTE]
Yes I watched the game, did you? The 8-0 run end of the first half, he pulled no one. Hamilton left his man all day to shoot uncontested 3's. he pulled him for a minute or two and put him back in. Almost nobody got back in transition most of the game, ( 18 fast break points ) and nobody got pulled for it and it continued all damn game. The Houston coach came up with a game plan to beat SMU on the road against L BROWN so he has a clue. His game plan was to run the ball down our throats all game and thats exactly what he did, and we never responded or made any adjustments. KO JUST SAT THERE AND WATCHED. How many games has KO gotten schooled horribly this year? And what exactly is it that you like about the way this team is being coached or the way KO coaches period!!!
End of game situations?
Not fouling with one to give?
Not going two for one in end of game possessions?
Not fouling to extend games ( CUSE I think?)?
Bizzare substitutions when team is going good to kill momentum?
No time outs when the other team is on a roll?
Players celebrating after making a shot laughing and jogging their way back up the court while the rest of the other team runs past them time after time for an easy dunk?
I could go on all day but I think the point was made.

Reaction Score
Probably the best post in 4 years. Instead of looking at the facts, as you've done, people continue to defend Ollie. He can't coach.

Whoever said in 2012 that they would have signed up for this must have been a Providence fan.

I'll take being 2 years removed from a NC.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It absolutely is about coaching. Like it or not, the coaching staff is responsible for everything this program does.

Whose fault is it that Gibbs has been playing out of position and being asked to do things he is CLEARLY incapable of doing?
Whose fault is it that the same stupid decision making keeps happening over and over with no repurcussions?
Whose fault is it that game in and game out substitution patterns feel like they're being made after referencing the Magic 8 Ball?
Whose fault is it that lack of hustle and lack of energy are accepted instead of punished?
Whose fault is it that we haven't got ONE call all year while the refs keep running us over, backing up, and running us over again?
Whose fault is it that we have more shot clock violations this year than probably in the last 1o combined?

I'm not naive enough to not see that Purvis' inability to make a layup and Hamilton's lackadaisical D is on the players. But a coaching staff has the ability to create a situation where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole in many, many ways. In this case, while we definitely have deficiencies that are difficult to hide (neither Kemba nor Shabazz are walking through that door anytime soon), there is talent that if utilized properly would have us in much better position. I could deal with last year, we were coming off the loss of one of the two great individual performers in the history of UConn basketball. I CAN'T accept this year though....this team has not improved at all over the course of the year, and we are once again going to be a non-factor deep into March.

There is no escaping the cross we have to bear with this lousy conference. But I repeat what others have said, and I've said for the last few years....if this conference is so God-awful, why aren't we dominating it?? The next two years will decide whether we continue to be relevant, or go the way of St. John's. Has to start with the head man on down.

Whoever said you'd take this back in 2012....I guarantee you wouldn't have taken getting swept by Temple, Cincinnati and losing to Houston at home with our NCAA hopes on the line. I just don't see the energy, the passion.

And saying to the media "we need to get tougher".....that don't cut it either. I'd like to hear one story about having a hard practice after a lousy game like Calhoun used to do. Or someone getting in a fight at practice. Something that shows this team has a pulse. Certainly didn't see that today. We were having our way, got punched in the face, and then basically laid down. That's unacceptable if you ask me, and I'm far from an entitled UConn fan....I started following them in the mid-1970s.

Jalen Adams yelled at someone in the locker room, if that counts.

Reaction Score
People have a right to their opinion but the view that this teams lack of success is due to bad coaching is really nonsense. Yes, you can complain that Ollie hasn't done a good of enough job in recruiting. The talent level of this team is not high enough to make us a top 25 team. The lack of talent at the guard position, no real depth at any position, and a lack of a powerful inside player makes this team VERY average. People have short memories but Jim Calhoun had some teams that no matter what he did that team wasn't going anywhere. All of Jim's yelling and shoveling players in and out of games didn't overcome the talent issue. Donyell Marshall's first year (1993), the 2001 team and Kemba Walker's second year (2010) are teams that come to mind. Lets hope that next year's recruiting class is as good as advertised, otherwise there are going to be a lot of unhappy UConn fans.

Reaction Score
You didn't watch the game. He pulled him less than 30 seconds into the 2nd half.
WOW I said he pulled him out for a few minutes. And yeah I did watch the game twice on my dvr including a lot on slow motion because I couldnt believe how bad Hamilton played on defense the whole game and he played a majority of the second half inspite of the horrific lack of effort on defense. Jogging up the court, celebrating and chit chatting with the bench after he made a basket and despite his man making 3 after 3 being unguarded he still didn't feel the need to play him closer. Yeah KO took him out for a few minutes and put him back in and nothing changed.
You didn't watch the g.

Reaction Score
It rarely is about the X's and O's, It's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's. It always comes down to talent on the floor. At the end of the day, gotta be able to make shots!!!!!

So you think this team would have the exact same record overall, be 0-4 against Temple/Cincy, lack of any consistency to player rotations, players being given almost infinite leash to continue making the same mistakes over and over again, being steamrolled by refs, etc. If Calhoun were coaching this team? If you switched Calhoun and Calipari does Cal win 3 titles at UConn to Calhoun winning 1 in spite of having the #1 recruiting class most years?

I'm not saying this to try and hold KO to Calhoun standards right now, but nobody can watch this team throughout the season and think that KO has done anything but a terrible job this year. Gibbs hasn't been anything close to what he thought he would be, but you wouldn't know that by the way KO handles him. Maybe this team isn't talented enough to be a classic UConn team, but we also shouldn't be 20-9 and in 6th place in the AAC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think JC would eek out a few more wins on fire and brimstone alone but we'd still have significant structural deficiencies that would keep us from going the distance.

Reaction Score
So you think this team would have the exact same record overall, be 0-4 against Temple/Cincy, lack of any consistency to player rotations, players being given almost infinite leash to continue making the same mistakes over and over again, being steamrolled by refs, etc. If Calhoun were coaching this team? If you switched Calhoun and Calipari does Cal win 3 titles at UConn to Calhoun winning 1 in spite of having the #1 recruiting class most years?

I'm not saying this to try and hold KO to Calhoun standards right now, but nobody can watch this team throughout the season and think that KO has done anything but a terrible job this year. Gibbs hasn't been anything close to what he thought he would be, but you wouldn't know that by the way KO handles him. Maybe this team isn't talented enough to be a classic UConn team, but we also shouldn't be 20-9 and in 6th place in the AAC.

I don't think JC's style of coaching, the yelling, screaming, swearing, would work with today's student athlete. I don't have a problem with JC's style, but today's AAU players would struggle with his style. So no, I don't believe JC would have a better record coaching this team than Ollie.

Reaction Score
There are a number of posters (myself included) who have probably been over the top and bit**y with their criticism of the coaching staff.

But there are also a number of posters who releatedly ridicule and belittle said posters without ever making a single counter argument as to why the coaching staff has done a good job this year and or isn't to blame.

I'm still waiting to hear someone explain to me and list a few reasons as to what exactly the coaching staff has done well.

I can list a number of examples of their failures: slow starts, giving up huge runs every game, lack of player development, failure to eliminate repeated simple mistakes, horrendous performance after timeouts (countless shot clock violations), horrendous end of game performance, horrendous performance on in bounds plays (have We scored one point off one yet?).

So here is your chance for those posters who constantly ridicule these posts. Explain to me how the coaching staff isn't to blame for This team being in 6th place in the American given the talent we have and considering the level of opposition we've played,

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="uconngb, post: 1597767, member: 1708"

I CAN'T accept this year...[/QUOTE]

What exactly does this mean? You want your money back? You will stop being a fan? Random self-righteousness? And "the cross we have to bear"?

Really dramatic, Look. They are a team. Everyone is to blame including Ollie. They are struggling. But it is not like anyone is doing it to spite you. They feel worse than we do.

Reaction Score
I don't understand all the barbs thrown at Ollie. He doesn't have the players yet to be the team he wants. Miller and Gibbs are transfers, Brimah and Facey along with Calhoun are from JC and Purvis is a 2nd year transfer. Hamilton and Adams are his only recruits as of now of any note. Next year will be more to his liking as he has a nice group of players coming in. the freshman won't knock our socks off, but they should improve as the year goes on. we have been held back from those sanctions and are just now making a comeback from it. I am confident that we will be a very competitive team next year. this year has been filled with stop gaps and we are frustrated with a ridiculous high ranking at the start of the year....18???

Reaction Score
I don't understand all the barbs thrown at Ollie. He doesn't have the players yet to be the team he wants. Miller and Gibbs are transfers, Brimah and Facey along with Calhoun are from JC and Purvis is a 2nd year transfer. Hamilton and Adams are his only recruits as of now of any note. Next year will be more to his liking as he has a nice group of players coming in. the freshman won't knock our socks off, but they should improve as the year goes on. we have been held back from those sanctions and are just now making a comeback from it. I am confident that we will be a very competitive team next year. this year has been filled with stop gaps and we are frustrated with a ridiculous high ranking at the start of the year....18???
Interestingly enough most posters thought UConn was under ranked. It would be interesting to see how many of those injustice collectors
who lay the blame on Ollie for every failure were among those who had UConn ranked high.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that the year Dyson was hurt? I think the following year they missed the tourney.
So with Dyson they don't make the Final Four, despite having had only 1 loss with him in the lineup?

Reaction Score
I don't think JC's style of coaching, the yelling, screaming, swearing, would work with today's student athlete. I don't have a problem with JC's style, but today's AAU players would struggle with his style. So no, I don't believe JC would have a better record coaching this team than Ollie.

So you don't think AAU existed until 2013 then? Cal makes a living yelling at his guys, how does that work for him in today's era and wouldn't work for Calhoun?

Reaction Score
I think JC would eek out a few more wins on fire and brimstone alone but we'd still have significant structural deficiencies that would keep us from going the distance.

I don't think so either, but if we were say 24-5 and had won some of those Maryland/Cuse/Gonzaga type games or at least gone 3-1 in the Temple/Cincy games I'm sure sentiment about this team would be totally different than it is now.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand about these threads is that they don't actualy seem to have anything to do with the games being played. Do I understand some of the second guessing being done to KO? Of course I do. Do I think he's going to go home at the end of the season and think this was a great year for him? Of course not.

But the after the fact second guessing can't change two fundamental realities about this team. First, most of our losses come down to not having a single player who is "the guy" on the last possession, notwithstanding that on paper we should have a bunch of those guys. And no, playing Jalen Adams 32 minutes a game doesn' change that until he can hit a jump shot consistently.

And second, and more importantly as to Sunday's loss, the single reason we lost that game is that no one cared about playing transition defense. Since that was an "out of the blue" problem, that has nothing to do with the coaching unless you're dumb enough to think the coaches weren't pointing out the obvious during breaks. We lost Sunday because the roster didn't care enough about winning. And while Calhoun was a master at getting the most out of his player, you can't get wine out of water and comparing any other coach to Calhoun is just going to make every other coach a failure.

Reaction Score
Its amazing to me that he took an overmatched Uconn team to the finals against the great UK with how many NBA guys on the roster? And he at the time appeared to have out coached Cal and beat better talent on the UK squad. Everyone was afraid we'd be losing KO to the OKC or some other NBA team because he was in such high demand. Fast forward and now he's a horrible in game coach and i get the feeling that a bunch of Uconn fans want him gone!! All i can do is sit back and laugh.... If KO is ran out of town, i cant wait to see who is supposed to turn everything around and get us winning national championship yearly.

Reaction Score
Not that this changes your overall argument, but Brimah was an Ollie recruit. He committed in January 2013 and JC wasn't recruiting him when he retired. Ollie said he liked Brimah's motor and potential. This one was all Ollie.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20130114/amida-brimah-commits-to-uconn-2

Facey is in the same class but committed to UConn before JC retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom