To the people who say this is not about coaching | Page 3 | The Boneyard

To the people who say this is not about coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What I don't understand about these threads is that they don't actualy seem to have anything to do with the games being played. Do I understand some of the second guessing being done to KO? Of course I do. Do I think he's going to go home at the end of the season and think this was a great year for him? Of course not.

But the after the fact second guessing can't change two fundamental realities about this team. First, most of our losses come down to not having a single player who is "the guy" on the last possession, notwithstanding that on paper we should have a bunch of those guys. And no, playing Jalen Adams 32 minutes a game doesn' change that until he can hit a jump shot consistently.

And second, and more importantly as to Sunday's loss, the single reason we lost that game is that no one cared about playing transition defense. Since that was an "out of the blue" problem, that has nothing to do with the coaching unless you're dumb enough to think the coaches weren't pointing out the obvious during breaks. We lost Sunday because the roster didn't care enough about winning. And while Calhoun was a master at getting the most out of his player, you can't get wine out of water and comparing any other coach to Calhoun is just going to make every other coach a failure.
The team didn't feel like playing transition defense..... because NO ONE CARED,really. Listen to you guys, WHO'S IN CHARGE? Based on what your saying KO has lost this team. Obviously they are not listening to him. They seem to be able to do whatever they want with no fear of repercussions. Whether it's a lack of discipline or it's just his coaching style , laid back, not an athoritarian figure head, religious ( as in no swearing), IT'S NOT WORKING. If and thats a big if they are in fact being told what to do during time outs and doing something completely different on the court, they sure as hell are not being held accountable. The lack of transition defense went on the entire second half. For someone who deals with businesses for a living (I own a few)," stuff" rolls down hill, it starts at the top. You guys are blaming the players ( blame them for missed shots or turnovers that's justified) but not this, this is on the coach. THANKS

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So you don't think AAU existed until 2013 then? Cal makes a living yelling at his guys, how does that work for him in today's era and wouldn't work for Calhoun?

Pitino is the same. Huggie. Cronin. Even K.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not that this changes your overall argument, but Brimah was an Ollie recruit. He committed in January 2013 and JC wasn't recruiting him when he retired. Ollie said he liked Brimah's motor and potential. This one was all Ollie.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20130114/amida-brimah-commits-to-uconn-2

Facey is in the same class but committed to UConn before JC retired.

At least Brimah turned out better than Okwandu Deng and Majok. Hopefully no one things Brimah was a bust or dud recruit.

Reaction Score
Brimah was a 3-star prospect, he has been much better than we could have hoped for. Hell, have we had a more productive 3-star recruit in the last 20 years?

Reaction Score
Coaches are only as good as the players performance on the floor. KO has no control over Gibbs/Purvis going 0-4 from 3 the last 5 mins. KO can only tell them to get back on D so many times. Its up to the players to make the plays. Its not a coincidence that all great coaches happen to also have great players when their teams are dominate.

Reaction Score
No question the Houston game was the absolute low point of the season. UConn lost because they were outhustled and Houston wanted to win the game more. It may be the first time I've seen UConn's defense completely collapsed. While UConn missed some open 3s, it was the transition defense and poor defensive hustle which doomed us. For the 1st time this year UConn lost the game due to defense.

If you want to evaluate KO's coaching ability let watch how UConn comes out against SMU. Can KO get UConn re-focused? Will they play hard for him? Do they understand their lack of effort against Houston was the problem?

SMU has now become a much more important game for UConn. UConn has been running adds in Dallas hyping the game. This is SMU's final home game, it is senior night, and the end of SMU's season. For SMU the UConn game is their NCAA tournament. No doubt the arena will be rocking and SMU will be hungry to avenge their loss in Connecticut.

Which UConn team shows up will say a lot about KO's ability to inspire. I expect a much better UConn effort on Thursday. No judgment should be passed on a team or a coach until the season is over.

Reaction Score
At least Brimah turned out better than Okwandu Deng and Majok. Hopefully no one things Brimah was a bust or dud recruit.

Majok didn't get chance would have been a lot better if given the same time to make it happen.

Brimah is fine if you surround him with the right mix of players. But if mentally the players around him are his equal you kind of see what can happen.

Reaction Score
Brimah was a 3-star prospect, he has been much better than we could have hoped for. Hell, have we had a more productive 3-star recruit in the last 20 years?

I am sure Jake wasn't a 4 or 5 so there's one to start with. Hilton was mentioned above and that's 2.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I am sure Jake wasn't a 4 or 5 so there's one to start with. Hilton was mentioned above and that's 2.

That's the thing, there's just not many of them. I agree you have to surround him with smart quality players. But you could kinda say that about most posts, outside of the Anthony Davis's of the world, no?

Reaction Score
That's a good one. Jake was ranked #209 by All Star Sports, which was one of the only rankings back then.

Reaction Score
Pitino is the same. Huggie. Cronin. Even K.

Yeah I know, I was just using the same example as before, who also happens to be the guy that has taken advantage of the AAU system the most over the last 8-10 years.

Reaction Score
That's a good one. Jake was ranked #209 by All Star Sports, which was one of the only rankings back then.

Armstrong and Voskuhl were on Championship (caliber) teams and they really didn't start drawing real next level interest until they were seniors.

Reaction Score
Armstrong and Voskuhl were on Championship (caliber) teams and they really didn't start drawing real next level interest until they were seniors.
I'd argue that Voskuhl was a very important piece to a very good team his sophomore year and a championship team his junior year. He wasn't one of the leading scorers because that wasn't his role. But without his rebounding, defense, pick setting and overall toughness neither of those teams would have been nearly as good. That's very good production from a player ranked 200+ coming out of high school. I'd kill for a Voskuhl type player on this year's team.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else listen to the coaches show tonight? I think it gave some real insight into how KO feels right now. One comment in particular was very unexpected. We really need to beat SMU. Hopefully we can find the resolve from SOMEWHERE to pull it off in a very hostile environment.

Reaction Score
A bit harsh I must say on KO. When was the last time UCONN has brought in role players outside the program for one and done.....and oh by the way....you're starters. Add a couple of decent freshman who deserve playing time, Dham who is .....well Dham, a couple of true UCONN seniors but not leaders.....I guess you would really have to ask a college basketball coach if that is a recipe that works.....or is it a real piece of work.
Remember Drummond and that team chemistry?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else listen to the coaches show tonight? I think it gave some real insight into how KO feels right now. One comment in particular was very unexpected. We really need to beat SMU. Hopefully we can find the resolve from SOMEWHERE to pull it off in a very hostile environment.
So what was the very unexpected comment?

Reaction Score
I thought when UCONN got Gibbs he would be like a Napier type. I thought this team needed an experienced lead guard that would be very quick. But he isn't. He isn't bad by any means - it's just that he is a bit limited vs what this team needed. He was my pre-season go-to guy. And I was expecting he would be a very good defender. Not his fault effort-wise - he just isn't quick laterally or a gifted scorer. He doesn't separate himself from the pack. Someday Adams will.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the chemistry just isn't right. Total intangibles. I think KO is a good coach; but it's very hard following a great coaching legend like Jim Calhoun. I've also been thinking of the difficult chemistry JC had with the 2006 team ... didn't make him a bad coach. This team lacks the leadership we've frankly been spoiled with over the last 6 or 7 years due to the leadership skills of Kemba, Shabazz, and Ryan. Until we get strong guard leadership, the results will continue to be inconsistent.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that Voskuhl was a very important piece to a very good team his sophomore year and a championship team his junior year. He wasn't one of the leading scorers because that wasn't his role. But without his rebounding, defense, pick setting and overall toughness neither of those teams would have been nearly as good. That's very good production from a player ranked 200+ coming out of high school. I'd kill for a Voskuhl type player on this year's team.

Pick setting? I'd offer a rebuttal but can't get past pick setting.

Reaction Score
Pick setting? I'd offer a rebuttal but can't get past pick setting.
I'm curious how old you are. Were you around for the 1998-1999 season? Any of the more experienced fans on here want to explain how Voskuhl helped the team so well? That team was so good because everyone had a role and played it well. Rip and El-Amin wouldn't have been as good without Voskuhl setting great picks on most offensive possessions. Something this year's team could use.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By the way, I'm not sure what you were trying to say. So if they didn't make it into the NBA they wouldn't have been productive college players that way outplayed their 3 star ranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom