Titanic Submarine | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I'm a little out of the loop on this - did they actually go down and look at the Titanic again yet? I know there was some talk that it was possible the sub got trapped in some wreckage

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I knew it was a playstation controller they were using, but I didn't realize it was also an "off brand" controller, not even the official version. They really did cut as many corners as possible.

It was a Logitech controller. I doubt they used it to save $10 over a Sony PlayStation version.

Simplicity is not necessarily a bad thing; we went to the moon on less computing power than is contained in modern USB-C charger. Relying on BlueTooth feels like a spot where they should have gone even simpler….used a wired controller. My phone loses connection to my car occasionally because BlueTooth is just sketch.

Anyway, I am not going to the bottom of the ocean in a sub driven via game pad by a guy sitting cross cross applesauce.

Reaction Score
But once you write the check they apparently have the adventure seeker sign a (very likely worthless) waiver with a list of all the ways they might die on the trip.
As I recall, in Connecticut and maybe in other places, even with a signed waiver, you can't contract away liability for negligence unless an industry like the ski industry gets the legislature to limit their liability.

I doubt this deep sea dive company would have had some special law written for them, where the waiver would protect them if sued for negligence. Big problem here is that without recovering the submersible, how do you prove negligence? Unless, the design of the submersible violated the standards of its industry.

Hope somehow they can miraculously rescue these passengers to make this speculation moot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some people who actually know what they are doing are trying to help.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Capture.JPG

pj

Reaction Score
Yes. I can even see the logic of it from a design perspective. It illuminates risk of catastrophic depressurization because of accidental opening the hatch while underwater.

None of this makes sense. The hatch has to open outward rather than inward in order for the underwater pressure to seal it. But you can let the people inside push it open. There's no need to make a hatch that can only be opened from the outside. It's an obvious design failure / death trap if the people inside can't open the hatch when the vehicle is surfaced and it's not under pressure.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
As I recall, in Connecticut and maybe in other places, even with a signed waiver, you can't contract away liability for negligence unless an industry like the ski industry gets the legislature to limit their liability.

I doubt this deep sea dive company would have had some special law written for them, where the waiver would protect them if sued for negligence. Big problem here is that without recovering the submersible, how do you prove negligence? Unless, the design of the submersible violated the standards of its industry.

Hope somehow they can miraculously rescue these passengers to make this speculation moot.

International waters.

Reaction Score
International waters.
Your response prompted me to research the issue further, and this company did try to avoid being regulated by going into international waters.

It looks like the CEO for the company, who criticized a 1993 U.S. law governing safety on submersibles, is on this submersible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your response prompted me to research the issue further, and this company did try to avoid being regulated by going into international waters.

It looks like the CEO for the company, who criticized a 1993 U.S. law governing safety on submersibles, is on this submersible.

Yes, he is on it. So at least he goes down with the ship if it goes down. However ill-advised this was, these are people, including one kid, and I hope they can be saved.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Not only would I not pay $250k to go to the bottom of the ocean, there is no amount of money in the world you could pay me to make that trip.

Seriously hope for a happy ending here, but it's not looking promising from the reports.

August_West

Reaction Score
For $250,000, the passagers are getting the real Titanic experience.

Its kind of black humor. And people losing family members isn't funny, but let's be honest. That is exactly what it is. I've really never understood the fascination where people are enamored with 1500 people drowning in frigid water and think it is romantic. What's next a reenactment of the USS Indianapolis where the tourist can dodge getting eaten by sharks after delivering the nuclear bomb? How about we recreate the jump from the world trade center when jet fuel was burning people alive so they jumped from the 100th floor? Certainly some billionaire will pay 500k for that experience. That's gotta be an extreme tourism rush! This world really is weird.

August_West

Reaction Score

Rat Queens Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hope these guys brought cards or dice down there with them. Maybe a few bottles of booze.

Reaction Score
Also, I heard on the news that if it did actually surface, there would be no way for the passengers to open the hatch because it was bolted down from the OUTSIDE and no emergency access to outside air! Can you imagine agreeing to being sealed in like that?
Not in a million years

Reaction Score
People might think I'm kidding, but I'd imagine one of the problems with being a billionaire is that you run out ways to thrill yourself after a while.

Regardless, the thought of any human being dying that way is deeply unsettling, and as much as I want to see the humor in it, I just can't. The thought of the passengers making banging noises from the ocean floor invokes memories of people waving towels from the top of the WTC - just completely helpless.
It’s not about thrill. It’s about exclusivity of the experience. Same as the space trips.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately they're all dead. Hopefully is was a catastrophic failure and it was quick, couldn't imagine being stuck on the bottom of the ocean waiting for the oxygen to run out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom