Titanic Submarine | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
I had to google it. Only 50 people a year die skiing. I personally knew two people who died skiing. 50 sounds way too low.
Are these serious skier types or weekend hobbyists? (Just curious)

Reaction Score
There is some mystery here and very little transparency.

I read a story this morning about a UK rescue sub that's waiting in the Guernsey Islands ready to be flown to Newfoundland to assist but supposedly the US government hasn't given the go ahead as they'd rather use a US sub.

Well it appears they might be alive so it looks like the government will have to explain this decision if it is true.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
AP article about purported flaws in the design

E27AB39F-94A5-4EF1-B441-05DE564CCEFB.jpeg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well it appears they might be alive so it looks like the government will have to explain this decision if it is true.

A bunch of super-rich thrill seekers want to go to the bottom of one of the deepest, coldest oceans in the world, and their families are going to try to blame someone else if it goes wrong?

This rescue mission in that ocean is not without risk. When these people put themselves in danger, they are also putting others in danger.

Reaction Score
More penny pinching bordering on criminal than design flaw. Seems like an underwater submersible is not the thing to cheap out on and cut corners. To the people saying they would go to the moon...yeah, maybe as a ride-along with NASA or something. Not in some tin can like this made by some huckster in his garage. Feel awful for the people involved. If they are still alive they must be terrified. I musy say though. All the money in the world didn't buy them any common sense. This whole venture seems beyond reckless. Hope there is an 11th hour miracle possible for everyone involved.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
. I musy say though. All the money in the world didn't buy them any common sense. This whole venture seems beyond reckless. Hope there is an 11th hour miracle possible for everyone involved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
More penny pinching bordering on criminal than design flaw. Seems like an underwater submersible is not the thing to cheap out on and cut corners. To the people saying they would go to the moon...yeah, maybe as a ride-along with NASA or something. Not in some tin can like this made by some huckster in his garage. Feel awful for the people involved. If they are still alive they must be terrified. I musy say though. All the money in the world didn't buy them any common sense. This whole venture seems beyond reckless. Hope there is an 11th hour miracle possible for everyone involved.
Yeah it’s terrifying if they are still alive. I couldn’t even imagine.

But I also can’t believe that these apparently smart people saw that sub and got in it. No approval from any regulatory board, no third party testing. Public knowledge of concerns in the design process & depth ratings…

Developing a legit sub to go down to those depths “safely” costs ~$50 million. No way this company spent anywhere near that…

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A bunch of super-rich thrill seekers want to go to the bottom of one of the deepest, coldest oceans in the world, and their families are going to try to blame someone else if it goes wrong?

This rescue mission in that ocean is not without risk. When these people put themselves in danger, they are also putting others in danger.

I actually agree with this take. You should vacate your right to a rescue doing something as idiotic as this. The amount of money, hours, and resources used to perform this rescue mission is insane.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I actually agree with this take. You should vacate your right to a rescue doing something as idiotic as this. The amount of money, hours, and resources used to perform this rescue mission is insane.

It's good practice for the Coast Guard, and Navy for US and Canada.

Normally, I'd be all for sending a bill to the company to recover costs but as I said earlier in this thread I don’t think there are too many assets to go after.

Reaction Score
Why in the world would you you tempt the supernatural in this way? There must be so many evil spirits at the wreckage site. Hundreds buried and trapped alive. And these people want to view this for their own entertainment? That is crazy.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The BBC was onboard last year to film a documentary of the dive and apparently OceanGate installed a few of the thrusters (to move around the bottom) backwards. So they got stuck in place. The amount of incompetence displayed by this company is mind-boggling.

Here is the 2 part documentary (thruster issue is part 2 at 7:30): rms titanic

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just heard on the radio that there's a chance they dropped weight and floated to the surface. Nice option, but not too useful without the ability to shoot a flare, or somehow say where they are.

Previously mentioned: it's sealed/bolted from the outside. How difficult would it have been to bolt it closed from the inside?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Just heard on the radio that there's a chance they dropped weight and floated to the surface. Nice option, but not too useful without the ability to shoot a flare, or somehow say where they are.

Previously mentioned: it's sealed/bolted from the outside. How difficult would it have been to bolt it closed from the inside?
Especially because with the pressure, it would be impossible to open at depths (so no risk of accidental opening from inside). Seems like it would have been a common sense safety feature in the event of a resurface without comms.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Not difficult at all, but..........

At some point, doesn't part of the vessel have to be sealed from the outside? Otherwise wouldn't some poor, lower level worker who has to tighten the last panel be stuck inside?

Reaction Score
It's good practice for the Coast Guard, and Navy for US and Canada.

Normally, I'd be all for sending a bill to the company to recover costs but as I said earlier in this thread I don’t think there are too many assets to go after.
Practice for what?? The next group of idiots going down to 13k feet. I think that ship has sailed

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is an odd take. These are billionaire thrill seekers and most likely very smart people. I am certain they know and accept the risks and dangers, which is kind of the point in doing some of the thrill-seeking stuff they do. I always hope for the best in these situations but I can't blame anyone other than the thrill-seekers.

I have to believe they have the technology to locate a sub, but I'm no Ramius.

Disagree. They can be thrill seekers and still use equipment which is well-made. Actually, more than others, they have the disposable income to make sure they only do it in well-made equipment.

Surfing the mega waves off the coast of Portugal is awesome. Doing it on a piece of cut up plywood is stupid. Being a thrill seeker and using good equipment are mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
Disagree. They can be thrill seekers and still use equipment which is well-made. Actually, more than others, they have the disposable income to make sure they only do it in well-made equipment.

Surfing the mega waves off the coast of Portugal is awesome. Doing it on a piece of cut up plywood is stupid. Being a thrill seeker and using good equipment are mutually exclusive.
Disagree with what?

Reaction Score

It’s 5 inches thick. By bolting it from the outside pressure forces the water seal tighter as u go. deeper. Doing it from the inside relies on the screws…and the pressure is making the seals less water tight

You’re talking about 350 atmospheres/5100 psi

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It's a pretty tight space in there and my guess is that this would require either a rather large manual or pneumatic torque wrench. I'm not sure you'd be able to have some safely seal the bolts from inside as it was designed. But certainly the design should have taken this situation into account and at a minimum had a fail-safe to get oxygen in if the end up surfacing in it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Practice for what?? The next group of idiots going down to 13k feet. I think that ship has sailed

Practice for all sorts of marine and open-water rescues. Using different sonar techniques as far as fielding it as a grid. Interagency cooperation and working alongside allies. Pilots and aircrew honing their crew communications and skills. Testing out newer equipment to see what it can do.

Plenty of stuff to work on while still providing a humanitarian rescue effort.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Play stupid games win stupid prizes. These people signed waivers that acknowledge that they might die and that oceangate is not liable. Whelp it is unfortunate, but the coin flip landed on the wrong side for them this time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom