Titanic Submarine | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
More penny pinching bordering on criminal than design flaw. Seems like an underwater submersible is not the thing to cheap out on and cut corners. To the people saying they would go to the moon...yeah, maybe as a ride-along with NASA or something. Not in some tin can like this made by some huckster in his garage. Feel awful for the people involved. If they are still alive they must be terrified. I musy say though. All the money in the world didn't buy them any common sense. This whole venture seems beyond reckless. Hope there is an 11th hour miracle possible for everyone involved.

This isn't much different than what Elon Musk is doing with SpaceX.

Also a little ironic that Elon Musk's Starlink Satellite com system is what this sub used for all it's comms. And it seems the comms failed less than 2 hours into the trip.

Humans want to explore. People die exploring different frontiers. It's a choice and a a personal risk assessment. Just like anything else.

Reaction Score
It’s 5 inches thick. By bolting it from the outside pressure forces the water seal tighter as u go. deeper. Doing it from the inside relies on the screws…and the pressure is making the seals less water tight
1687355971380.jpeg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s 5 inches thick. By bolting it from the outside pressure forces the water seal tighter as u go. deeper. Doing it from the inside relies on the screws…and the pressure is making the seals less water tight

You’re talking about 350 atmospheres/5100 psi

I don't think that matters - pressure is pressure and no matter where it's bolted, it's working to seal it tighter.

I think it's just easier to seal it from the outside.

Reaction Score
That they have to accept risks and dangers to get their thrill. Accept some but mitigate and eliminate whenever possible.
What? Of course they have to accept the risks and dangers, which they clearly did by signing up for the trip.

August_West

Reaction Score
Disagree. They can be thrill seekers and still use equipment which is well-made. Actually, more than others, they have the disposable income to make sure they only do it in well-made equipment.

Surfing the mega waves off the coast of Portugal is awesome. Doing it on a piece of cut up plywood is stupid. Being a thrill seeker and using good equipment are mutually exclusive.

Yup, but they made the decision to do it anyway. This is unfettered capitalism at its finest. Someone offered a product/trip and was first to market. Maybe they cut corners on things to do so, but this is a perfect example of caveat emptor. The buyers wanted to be first as part of their thrill and chose not to wait for a competitor to do it better.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Also a little ironic that Elon Musk's Starlink Satellite com system is what this sub used for all it's comms. And it seems the comms failed less than 2 hours into the trip.

Humans want to explore. People die exploring different frontiers. It's a choice and a a personal risk assessment. Just like anything else.

The sub doesn't use Starlink, goober - it's under water.

The ship uses it for internet, not for communicating with the sub.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't compare this to SpaceX. I wouldn't call this exploring either. The Titanic has already been explored. This was a joyride for rich people to get a thrill and a story to share with other rich people at cocktail parties. Exploring would be for the purpose of breaking new scientific ground and breaking boundries and making new discoveries. This was a for profit money grab for rich tourists.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The owner has been described as "more Musk than Cousteau." Why would anyone trust him?

August_West

Reaction Score
The sub doesn't use Starlink, goober - it's under water.

The ship uses it for internet, not for communicating with the sub.
sure thing chumlee. If they both want to credit it for the subs success, they get the other side too.
star.JPG

Reaction Score
I don't know when the Statue of Liberty sunk but his is a cool graphic. No way in heck I would venture that much deeper than our best world class subs have the ability to go. Titanic is at 3,700 meters.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It’s not a huge surprise, but just read how they would have to save the sub and the process is daunting.

First, they have to find it. A French submersible would have to go down to it, figure how to affix some kind of tether to it and then a particular Navy doohickey would reel it up. Minimum time needed is around 24 hours with the French sub not even expected to arrive until tonight.

I think all of this should convince all of us not to take rides on a homemade sub.

Reaction Score
Time is running out. Even if they locate it - how do they bring it up with so few hours of oxygen left?
Also, I heard on the news that if it did actually surface, there would be no way for the passengers to open the hatch because it was bolted down from the OUTSIDE and no emergency access to outside air! Can you imagine agreeing to being sealed in like that?

Reaction Score
"On what compels someone to take a journey on the Titan — despite the dangers

These dives take place in international waters. So there is no governing body. And I will tell you that when we boarded the surface vessel, we signed waivers that would curl your toes. I mean, it was basically a list of eight paragraphs describing ways that you could be permanently disabled or killed.

So this is not a tourist company or an airline, you know, for the masses. This is for rich adrenaline junkie adventurers who thrive on the risk. It's a lifestyle that not all of us may be able to identify with. But for them, you know, the risk is the life."

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
another rich guy thrill seeker put his deposit down with his buddy that is on the sub but backed out when he saw how it was built

Smart rich guy
I knew it was a playstation controller they were using, but I didn't realize it was also an "off brand" controller, not even the official version. They really did cut as many corners as possible.

Reaction Score
I knew it was a playstation controller they were using, but I didn't realize it was also an "off brand" controller, not even the official version. They really did cut as many corners as possible.
But in the interviews they make sure to tell you that the controllers are blue tooth and they are durable so a 16 year old can toss them around. But don't worry, they always have a few back ups just in case.

Reaction Score
"There are seven different ways to return to the surface".
"Even if the power is out..."
"Just redundancy after redundancy"

Sure doesn't seem that way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also, I heard on the news that if it did actually surface, there would be no way for the passengers to open the hatch because it was bolted down from the OUTSIDE and no emergency access to outside air! Can you imagine agreeing to being sealed in like that?
Yes. I can even see the logic of it from a design perspective. It illuminates risk of catastrophic depressurization because of accidental opening the hatch while underwater.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, they pretty much used the cheap extra controller that everyone tries to avoid when you're getting ready to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom