Titanic Submarine | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Titanic Submarine

Reaction Score
Everyone is making a big deal (me included) about a vessel that can get to 13k feet. I just learned that in 1960, a Swiss designed/Italian built vessel got to the bottom on the Mariana Trench...at over 35k feet. And was able to sporadically communicate with the surface ship at that depth.. seems like they didn’t learn much in 60 years

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Everyone is making a big deal (me included) about a vessel that can get to 13k feet. I just learned that in 1960, a Swiss designed/Italian built vessel got to the bottom on the Mariana Trench...at over 35k feet. And was able to sporadically communicate with the surface ship at that depth.. seems like they didn’t learn much in 60 years
They did. They also got cheap and starting cutting corners to make a buck.

Reaction Score
That was the only time a human went until James Cameron did it in 2012.

He opened the floodgates.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll say same thing I said about MH370 flight when it disappeared.

There is technology out there that won't be used unless the US and allied militaries know they aren't being snooped on while using it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There are 3 more of them...
Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how a disaster turns into an exciting tourist attraction. From a local pov, I really don’t care for the smiling photos at ground zero by the fountains. Maybe I was too close to it.

Reaction Score
Its kind of black humor. And people losing family members isn't funny, but let's be honest. That is exactly what it is. I've really never understood the fascination where people are enamored with 1500 people drowning in frigid water and think it is romantic. What's next a reenactment of the USS Indianapolis where the tourist can dodge getting eaten by sharks after delivering the nuclear bomb? How about we recreate the jump from the world trade center when jet fuel was burning people alive so they jumped from the 100th floor? Certainly some billionaire will pay 500k for that experience. That's gotta be an extreme tourism rush! This world really is weird.
#quintapproved

Reaction Score
If I had a chance to go to the moon, I'd do it in a heart beat.
I remember that well I was in high school and had also followed the exploits of the X15 rocket plane and also the first astronauts. It was an exciting time in science and exploration.
I thought the legendary Jacques Cousteau who. Designed the modern SCUBA tank was part of thst expedition.
I remember watching a his TV shows , some of the best documentaries in history . I wonder if they’re available on YouTube.
But it was Jacques Piccard a Swiss Engr who did it .
Cousteau rescued , Piccard from an earlier mishap .
So he played a role .
Amazingly 60+ years later and we seem more earthbound than we did.way back then .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really feel bad for the 19 year old. If alive:

"They're freezing cold. The water entirely surrounding the ship is at freezing or slightly below. When they exhale, their breath condenses. There's frost on the inside of the parts of the submarine. They're all huddled together trying to conserve their body heat. They're running low on oxygen and they're exhaling carbon dioxide."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
At this point, not only are they dead or doomed to die, but the road to this point had to be so emotionally horrific. The mental breakdown. The odors and embarrassment of being trapped. Freezing.
Sounds like what’s going thru your mind when you take a wrong turn in Hartford after a hoops game.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Victor Vescovo built a sub and dove to the deepest point in all 5 oceans just a few years ago. First person to do that. There is a fascinating documentary about!

The difference is he spent $50 million just to build the sub (not including mission costs) while this company probably spent 1/10th of that to build theirs…

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think that matters - pressure is pressure and no matter where it's bolted, it's working to seal it tighter.

I think it's just easier to seal it from the outside.

It's more about getting out (and air) in an emergency surface and aren't found in time. At min a way to get air and show where they were was needed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom