Tis the season... Billy Crocker out as DC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tis the season... Billy Crocker out as DC

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This had to happen as Chief and others have posted. Not much left of the RE2.0 staff assembled less than 2 years ago. The 3 guys recommended by the AD’s office have left - Lashlee, Grimes and Klein. As have some of Randy’s truly poor hires.
At any rate, why not do this the day the season ended or before? We already knew he couldn’t recruit. Perhaps, someone is available - who wasn’t before?
Maybe that question at the Edsall press conference wasn’t as ridiculous as Randy acted?
Some good questions here that probably will never be answered.

Reaction Score
Absolutely the best decision for the program. All of them likely knew long before today, so I am not worried about their next landing spot. Four days before Christmas is tough, but coaches get fired. It's the nature of the industry. Crocker probably won't be an FBS DC any time soon, but he can certainly be a position coach and work his way back up.

Curious that they waited until after the early signees inked their names...

S-T-R-A-T-E-G-Y

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reality is they were dealt a pretty crappy hand if you ask me. Not sure any DC could have done much with so many freshmen.
I think what fueled this change is RE realized the 3-3-5 wasn’t what he wanted and knew that Crocker didn’t have experience with a 4-3 defense.
It’s the nature of the business Hornet. It’s probably better for Crocker too as he can get back to someplace that will play the D is comfortable with.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The Friday before Christmas. A classic time for companies to fire people.
My company had many RIF's yesterday - of course the company doesn't match on 401K unless you are employed on December 31st.

Reaction Score
This had to happen as Chief and others have posted. Not much left of the RE2.0 staff assembled less than 2 years ago. The 3 guys recommended by the AD’s office have left - Lashlee, Grimes and Klein. As have some of Randy’s truly poor hires.
At any rate, why not do this the day the season ended or before? We already knew he couldn’t recruit. Perhaps, someone is available - who wasn’t before?
Maybe that question at the Edsall press conference wasn’t as ridiculous as Randy acted?

One contributing factor was signing period. If your replacement is not available, you might get kids, their advisers, to hit pause.

It’ll be telling to see who comes. Not a big hire. A huge hire. As was said, we need someone who’s a developer, a recruiter and an ego-less guy.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Terrible timing but right decision. Good luck gentlemen.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
We need a sep thread of candidates, but here’s one to get the crowd screaming thru Xmas - there is an NFL DC living in south Windsor who is beloved by the local hsfb coaches.
and who is that?

Reaction Score
We need a sep thread of candidates, but here’s one to get the crowd screaming thru Xmas - there is an NFL DC living in south Windsor who is beloved by the local hsfb coaches.

Can we offer enough pay to get a viable DC to come to UConn?

Reaction Score
It’s the nature of the business Hornet. It’s probably better for Crocker too as he can get back to someplace that will play the D is comfortable with.
True
Hopefully he and Cox land somewhere and become successful

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
S-T-R-A-T-E-G-Y
You don't say?

My issue with this is if the coaches signed recruits under false pretenses. I know Crocker wasn't really involved in recruiting (why, is a different discussion.), but I thought Curome Cox was huge on the trail.

Reaction Score
The dude, IMO, should have always been the HC. I am still scratching my head on this one and will forever. However, that ship has sailed and we can't live in the past.
I was just making the point that many speculated he was the HC in waiting where Palatine claimed Edsall never hires anyone who would be a threat to replace him.

Edsall has 1 year left. This is the perfect time to hire someone capable of replacing him. I don't know that he will, but if he cares about what he built here in the past as he says he does, then....

Reaction Score
It does suck to see a guy lose his job this time of year, however, for some perspective, the dude's base salary was $300,000 per year.

... and had one year left on his 3 year contract. He'll bounce back.

Reaction Score
You don't say?

My issue with this is if the coaches signed recruits under false pretenses. I know Crocker wasn't really involved in recruiting (why, is a different discussion.), but I thought Curome Cox was huge on the trail.

We shall see if any recruits bow out....but regardless of coach I feel Randy probably sold them on "our defense can't get any worse and you are the guy to help us turn it around."

Reaction Score
We shall see if any recruits bow out....but regardless of coach I feel Randy probably sold them on "our defense can't get any worse and you are the guy to help us turn it around."
I really don’t envision any recruits leaving over this, unless they completely botch the replacement. If you committed to UConn at this point in time, it’s not because of Billy Crocker.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Regardless of the message, and regardless of what the NCAA tells these 17 year old "athletes" (They're supposed to commit to a school, not a coach), recruits commit largely based on the rapport with the head recruiter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom