Tis the season... Billy Crocker out as DC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tis the season... Billy Crocker out as DC

Reaction Score
Thinking back to his Lion's days:

Al Golden: Current Lions LB coach, former Temple head coach
Bill Sheridan: Current BC D-Line coach, former NFL DC
Teryl Austin: Recently fired Bengals DC (pipe dream I know)

also,
DJ Durkin?
Poaching Sal Alosi?

Give me Andre Dixon as a S&C grad assistant

Reaction Score
Regardless of the message, and regardless of what the NCAA tells these 17 year old "athletes" (They're supposed to commit to a school, not a coach), recruits commit largely based on the rapport with the head recruiter.

Which we all know wasn't Crocker.

Reaction Score

also,
DJ Durkin?

I'll resign my commission and do it. I'll take $225,000.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It does suck to see a guy lose his job this time of year, however, for some perspective, the dude's base salary was $300,000 per year.
What difference does the salary make? The guy didn't do his job whether it's $30K or $300K
I think Randy/UConn should have done this right after last game or wait until after New Year - week before Christmas just sucks and looks bad IMHO

Reaction Score
What difference does the salary make? The guy didn't do his job whether it's $30K or $300K
I think Randy/UConn should have done this right after last game or wait until after New Year - week before Christmas just sucks and looks bad IMHO

Meaning he shouldn't be as bad off as someone who made $30,000...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Maybe Randy tried to give him a third season - but realized two weeks into the offseason it just wasn't going to work and then it was about picking the right end date.

Today is the right day, as we need time to make the new hire and give us all the time possible to recruit in January. Still need more talented players at all positions on D.

Reaction Score
I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but the spring game/scrimmage will be an absolute must this coming year for me and many of you. Can't wait.
The last I heard, Edsall said he will not have a spring game this year. He replaced it with a camp for kids.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

also,
DJ Durkin?
Poaching Sal Alosi?

Give me Andre Dixon as a S&C grad assistant

DJ Durkin would be such a ballsy move lol. No way Edsall would hire the guy who replaced him at Maryland.

It pisses me off that we didn’t do this earlier. Harasymiak could have been an option.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
These are really the only guys who deserved to get fired. Cox was a really bad coach and Crocker orchestrated the worst defense in history as well as recruiting basically nobody
Just curious - you still a theology guy?

Reaction Score
I really don’t envision any recruits leaving over this, unless they completely botch the replacement. If you committed to UConn at this point in time, it’s not because of Billy Crocker.

Um, who are we talking about? The recruits that signed, are signed. The one's that did not are free to select any school that will have them for next 7-8 weeks?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Oh just the way to drop the hammer on coaches and the program sometimes makes me wonder?! All good though!

I didn't mean to personally disparage Crocker or Cox, and I really have never seen anything regarding the strength program. Just meant to say that the on field performance basically required that those two be let go. Crocker seems like a nice guy in interviews and everything else. He's had a bunch of success elsewhere so i bet he lands on his feet. Obviously not happy that two guys lost jobs, just saying that it had to be done

Reaction Score
When Randy went to Maryland, he took Jerry Martin's assistant strength coach with him. With coaching change at Maryland maybe he's available again. I though the guy the Diaco brought in from Miss State did a good job. Guys like Levy and Fatukasi transformed their bodies. They love him at Notre Dame.

I think the results of the last two years has Randy thinking we just haven't been strong enough or physical enough.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If they’re going to sell the program as a legitimate one, there was simply no way these 4 coaches could’ve been retained. They were responsible for the glaring weaknesses on this team.

I will give RE credit....if you told me to pick 4 coaches who needed to go based on what I saw on the field, these are the coaches. All season RE complained about strength and speed...and the defensive results speak for themselves. The DB play was beyond awful all year.

These 4 led the areas of greatest deficiency all year and it makes sense they were held accountable. Timing is tricky, but I am sure they knew their fate a month ago and kept quiet to get through signing day.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
As many have already mentioned, it had to be done. Historically bad numbers can't just be brushed away. And right or wrong, the fan base desperately needs this hope that a new man can fix the situation, in order to prevent any further erosion of season ticket holders.

Let's hope we land a really good one...

Reaction Score
How about T.J. Weist? No, seriously, the State is broke, UConn isn't paying for well known guys, not sure who will come for this current mess and no/little salary. Unfortunately we are paying salaries of former coaches. UConn, make an investment for crying out loud!

Edit: This is my attempt at a poor joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You want to bring in UConn's old Offensive Coordinator to be the Defensive Coordinator???

Slow down on the egg nog.
I guess you missed the "No seriously" part. It was a joke, as TJ Weist comes up often as either HC or OC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom