Thoughts from a Tenn fan/Stanford-Tenn [merged] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Thoughts from a Tenn fan/Stanford-Tenn [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
And that is the proof that everything has changed significantly in Pat's life.

And that's very sad. It was much more fun to dislike Pat and the University of Tennessee Lady Vols when she was healthy. Not so much now.

JS

Reaction Score
N.O. contest - loved that headline!
Well I for one think you have something to answer for, cardfan. I'm tired of ranked teams padding their offensive stats at the expense of the geographical schools.

Yesterday No. 3 Notre Dame scored 90 on Central Florida; No. 9 Duke ran up 107 against UNC Wilmington; No. 4 Stanford hung 97 on UT Knoxville . . . So I ask, where is your shame?

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Don't expect Tennessee and Uconn to renew anytime soon.

As to Van Gundy's comments on who plays who, I'm sure you are aware that the Baylor/ Uconn series may not be renewed. Why you may ask. It seems ESPN wants the game in January for Big Monday. Baylor doesn't want a non-conference game once they start their conference schedule. I don't blame Baylor for saying no. ESPN sees money, not what the individual programs find best for them.

Leave Baylor/ Uconn in December and stop messing with rivalries because of $$$$!

In arguing for more top competition in women's basketball, I'm fully aware of the reality of the game, i.e., that the schools contract with each other over non-conference games and that TV plays a big role in which teams play and when. And also that a great coach like Pat Summitt can show her personal animosity towards a good opponent by refusing to play them, thus depriving the fans and her team of some first-rate competition.

But then I look at the schedule and I see the #2 team in the country, our UConn Huskies, playing tonight against a team like the College of Charleston which is currently 2-7, having lost to the likes of Coastal Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Charleston Southern, Furman, Davidson, and Appalachian State, and I wonder.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And that's very sad. It was much more fun to dislike Pat and the University of Tennessee Lady Vols when she was healthy. Not so much now.
Indeed, it is always sad to see people who have been vibrant sentient human beings steadily lose all of the things that have made them forces in the lives of people around them.

Yesterday I was doing Christmas communions with shut-ins and at the nursing homes and spent time with four women and one man who were vibrant 50-60 somethings when I came to this parish. All five have different stages of dementia. Two still recognize me, one barely, and the last two not at all. It made me stop and count the number of families around me who are dealing with this. Besides the five I saw yesterday I counted another four. Nine families in my small town congregation affected by this horrible disease. What is stolen from all these people is the wonderful relationships they had which become reduced to a single direction of caregiving.

Blessedly, I ran into a mother and grandmother who were there to visit two of my members and and together we shared communion with one of the ladies I was visiting. It is always a moment of grace to see how the words of the liturgy and the sacrament come back to many who struggle to remember much of anything. Please remember those who cannot remember you.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
In arguing for more top competition in women's basketball, I'm fully aware of the reality of the game, i.e., that the schools contract with each other over non-conference games and that TV plays a big role in which teams play and when. And also that a great coach like Pat Summitt can show her personal animosity towards a good opponent by refusing to play them, thus depriving the fans and her team of some first-rate competition.

But then I look at the schedule and I see the #2 team in the country, our UConn Huskies, playing tonight against a team like the College of Charleston which is currently 2-7, having lost to the likes of Coastal Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Charleston Southern, Furman, Davidson, and Appalachian State, and I wonder.
I'm sure other BY's know the details better than I do, but I believe it's because the long-time Charleston coach is at least a casual friend of Geno's, and she(?) is retiring at the end of this year. So, bringing the Traveling Circus to her gym is a gesture of support.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Plus, Charleston is just a cool city. First-rate golf courses in the surrounding coastal lowland, too.

Reaction Score
UT/UConn will play again; I did not agree with or like that Pat canceled the series.

If she had evidence of Geno cheating, then that should have been handled in the proper channels, but NOT at the expense of the women who play the game.

I know a lot more about Geno now than I did even a few years back, so I think it has more to do with a personal issue than a "rules" deal.

I don't know if you post on The Summitt or not, but I don't think the posters there would agree with you. Thanks for posting here.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm sure other BY's know the details better than I do, but I believe it's because the long-time Charleston coach is at least a casual friend of Geno's, and she(?) is retiring at the end of this year. So, bringing the Traveling Circus to her gym is a gesture of support.
"Stepping stone Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma said a lot of schools use games with Connecticut to try and improve their programs.
“Over the years we’ve been to a lot of places where a game is sold out for the first time. In a lot of cases it has created a little more awareness of the (home) team,” Auriemma said. “A bunch of people might come out tomorrow night to see Connecticut, not the College of Charleston. But that’s OK, as long as they like what they see. They’ll say ‘I’m going to go see another game.’ It has to start somewhere, and not everybody is as forward thinking as (College of Charleston coach) Nancy Wilson. ‘Bring Connecticut in here and they might beat us by a bunch but it’s worth it.’ People will come out (Wednesday) and see a good performance by us and the kids on Charleston’s team, and a bunch are going to come back out.”
Getting the game
In looking at his 2011-12 schedule, Auriemma felt like he needed to fill an 11-day break between the Baylor game and the Huskies’ next scheduled game Dec. 29 against Fairfield.
Neal Eskin, the executive associate athletic director for the school, had worked with Hull at Maryland and gave his former co-worker a call pitching the game.
“Neal called me out of the blue and asked if we were interested in playing Connecticut at home. We talked about the details, what dates might work, and he gave me a two-day window to fit it in,” Hull said."

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
"Stepping stone Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma said a lot of schools use games with Connecticut to try and improve their programs.
“Over the years we’ve been to a lot of places where a game is sold out for the first time. In a lot of cases it has created a little more awareness of the (home) team,” Auriemma said. “A bunch of people might come out tomorrow night to see Connecticut, not the College of Charleston. But that’s OK, as long as they like what they see. They’ll say ‘I’m going to go see another game.’ It has to start somewhere, and not everybody is as forward thinking as (College of Charleston coach) Nancy Wilson. ‘Bring Connecticut in here and they might beat us by a bunch but it’s worth it.’ People will come out (Wednesday) and see a good performance by us and the kids on Charleston’s team, and a bunch are going to come back out.”
Getting the game
In looking at his 2011-12 schedule, Auriemma felt like he needed to fill an 11-day break between the Baylor game and the Huskies’ next scheduled game Dec. 29 against Fairfield.
Neal Eskin, the executive associate athletic director for the school, had worked with Hull at Maryland and gave his former co-worker a call pitching the game.
“Neal called me out of the blue and asked if we were interested in playing Connecticut at home. We talked about the details, what dates might work, and he gave me a two-day window to fit it in,” Hull said."

Well, the inspiration factor is certainly another way of looking at it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I commented elsewhere on Nneka's amazing performance, Tennessee's uncharacteristic weak defense, etc. Permit me now to describe four indelible impressions from the game.
  1. Pat was, sad to say, not fully engaged. It seems that a pattern has been established at each road game: Start by honoring Pat (graciously and deservedly), then see her assistants take over the in-game coaching with varying levels of effectiveness.
  2. Simmons and Spani had an on-court, in-game spat. I don't know what caused it or who started it, but it is an ominous sign that bodes ill for the team's future. Need I add that this would never have occurred in the past, with Pat in complete clipboard-busting control.
  3. Although the Tennessee players have talent (e.g., Spani's ball-handling and long-range shooting, Johnson's athleticism, Stricklen's all around excellence), they seem to have no cohesiveness to their offense (manifested by few assists). And no "D" for Nneka, Toni, and Chiney.
  4. Toward the end of the game, a camera shot of the coaching staff was shown. Left to right: Unknown assistant, Dean Lockwood, Holly Warwick, Pat, and Mickey DeMoss. All seemed stunned, even bewildered. Nothing in that image suggested SEC Champions, Final Four, or even Elite Eight.
Finally, as I mentioned elsewhere, the incredible "T" for having six players on the court. I simply cannot comprehend how that could happen to this once proud and dominant team. And I won't guess why on this forum.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
OK, just watched the game. My thoughts:

1. This was an immensely entertaining game with some terrific offense, but let's be clear: that was not championship-level defense played by either team.

2. Let's be clear about another thing: it's a bad idea to judge teams based on statistical outliers. That's why I scoffed at the notion that Tennessee was a legit contender after the UCLA game; no one shoots 70% on a regular basis. By the same token, Nneka isn't going to score 42 on a regular basis. It was a joy to watch her play last night, but this is a very different game without that hurculean effort. Stanford is still very young and relatively weak (by Stanford standards) in the backcourt, notwithstanding Kokenis's productive night.

3. Stricklen is the only Tennessee player that you can count on to put in serious work night in and night out. The others? Well...

4. ...Glory: still immensely talented. Still seems to drift in and out of games. Still capable of getting riled up and making poor decisions. I'll say it again: she should be a first-team AA. The fact that she isn't is curious and concerning.

5. Spani- how can someone as good as she is disappear for large portions of games? Seriously, where on God's green earth was she in the second half?

6. Simmons- she actually played pretty well, especially in the first half, but she's yet another play who famously runs hot and cold.

7. Baugh- Baugh is Tennessee's Caroline Doty. Oft-injured, everyone's happy she's just out there at all, and she's capable of being really good at times. Just can't count on it night in and night out. This was definitely a night to forget for her.

8. Massengale- huh? Very, very confused about why she was out there tonight. Either she's ready to go or she isn't. Why did she not enter the game until there were 11 minutes left? The game was still in question at that point. Was it just an act of desperation to put her out there? In any event, she was ineffective.

9. Manning- she's the kind of player you love if she's on your team, but I'm going to say something harsh about the LVs: the fact that her effort stands out says as much negatively about some of her (more talented) teammates as it does positively about her. Everyone on UConn's team plays with that effort level or they don't play. Used to be the case with a Pat Summitt-coached team, too.

10. Pat- she has the right to go out on her own terms, but this program needs a head coach deep into the details. You can say her assistants are good enough that they could be running their own shows elsewhere, but we have no empirical evidence that they'd be immensely effective in those roles. The fact that Pat now NEEDS her assistants to do certain things may be a problem. UConn has been successful because Geno is involved with everything. Even when he delegates something to an assistant, he tends to step in with a wise-ass comment or whatever if he's not seeing the results he expected. Pat used to be like that- in her own way, obviously, but someone who could hold everyone deeply accountable. At any rate, I'm not seeing the individual or team development that I'm accustomed to from the LVs, and that starts with coaching. I want Pat to be happy with the circumstances and terms of her departure, but I also hope we don't get to a point where Tennessee's program languishes in the process.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno and Nancy Wilson have a 20 year friendship.

Reaction Score
Some very good observations on here.

The long-time LV fans have been crabbing about the poor defense for the last 4 years. Last night: shot clock winding down, Glory Johnston on N.O., and she sags off so far that she gave up an easy jumper. Years ago, N.O. would have been swarmed ass soon as she picked up her dribble.

I don't know, without a long rant.....

Yes, UT needs to get moving on a new coach. No, none oft the ones on staff will, (IMO) be the 'one' to succeed Pat. I think, before her illness, her plan was to mentor her son into the role (not entirely certain, but seemed to be the drift).

They really missed their chance with the lady who went from UCLA to LSU...she's the best of the UT offspring.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They really missed their chance with the lady who went from UCLA to LSU...she's the best of the UT offspring.

I think if the phone call came Nikki would be in Knoxville the next morning.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Looking at a bunch of games the top teams do not play steller defense. TN does not play perimiter defense. It hasnt changed. No team chemistry, no jellin, very poor passing. Manning I love. I wish she came to UConn. When it comes down to the NCAAs defense will win. I read on other boards fans knocking UConn. Picking on UConn. UConn plays defense, is the best passing team in WCBB, and has team chemistry. Watching other games you can see the difference. Even againest Baylor. Baylor has Griner and with her shot blocking makes it tuff inside. Griner was the difference, almost unstoppable. UConn came close and I think the next time they meet it will be an all out war. Next time UConn will get to the foul line and Baylor will have some foul problems. I beleive Geno took alot away from the game. Two comments. One keep Griner boxed out when UConn is on offense allowing penetrators a lane to the basket and second suffacate Sims and make everybody else beat you.

TN hasnt come together and this is the 4th season, what makes people think they will. It could happen but unless Ariel can take over the leadership which I dont see happening TN will be up and down. Its a bit sad with all that talent they cant put it together. Argueing during the game shows the frustration. Depending on a freshman and putting all that pressure on her to win is unfair because she lacks experience on the college level. Shes not the savior TN fans hoped for. Shes a great player but needs time as all freshman do. One stats that stands out is TN again shot over 60% in the first half and this time trailed???????? Gotta wonder what it will take. Can you imagine if TN shot 45% againest Stanford in the first half what the score wouldve been? UConn is at a different level when it comes to chemistry, team cohesiveness, continuinty and just plain T.E.A.M. Thats what makes UConn who they are and why theyve done what theyve done and why they are attracting so many top players. Genos accomplishments are second to none. His development of players is second to none and his ability to continue to put the bar higher and reach it is mind boggleing. The sad thing for WCBB fans is UConn will only get better over the next 6-8 years.

Reaction Score
I commented elsewhere on Nneka's amazing performance, Tennessee's uncharacteristic weak defense, etc. Permit me now to describe four indelible impressions from the game.
  1. Pat was, sad to say, not fully engaged. It seems that a pattern has been established at each road game: Start by honoring Pat (graciously and deservedly), then see her assistants take over the in-game coaching with varying levels of effectiveness.
  2. Simmons and Spani had an on-court, in-game spat. I don't know what caused it or who started it, but it is an ominous sign that bodes ill for the team's future. Need I add that this would never have occurred in the past, with Pat in complete clipboard-busting control.
  3. Although the Tennessee players have talent (e.g., Spani's ball-handling and long-range shooting, Johnson's athleticism, Stricklen's all around excellence), they seem to have no cohesiveness to their offense (manifested by few assists). And no "D" for Nneka, Toni, and Chiney.
  4. Toward the end of the game, a camera shot of the coaching staff was shown. Left to right: Unknown assistant, Dean Lockwood, Holly Warwick, Pat, and Mickey DeMoss. All seemed stunned, even bewildered. Nothing in that image suggested SEC Champions, Final Four, or even Elite Eight.
Finally, as I mentioned elsewhere, the incredible "T" for having six players on the court. I simply cannot comprehend how that could happen to this once proud and dominant team. And I won't guess why on this forum.

Great post.

As a UT fan, I've not been happy with the staff since Candace left. Here is the direct reason why: when they lost to ball state, a truly embarrassing loss, the staff laid the loss entirely on the players. Not "we", them. In fact, the entire season for those girls as freshmen was "them". I understand the role of team-building, but also understand nurture for freshmen who are losing because their coaches never recruited enough point guards!!!!

Even last season, when I thought the staff had the team ill-prepared to face some tough midwest opponents in the NCAA's, there was still that "oh, the guards all sucked, Ariel will save us". Really?? Your kids just busted their butts to play OUT OF POSITION because you haven't signed a credible PG in 6 years, and THIS is what you say post-game???

Been a LV fan since Pat started coaching them, but right now, it's got some credibility issues.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Some very good observations on here.

The long-time LV fans have been crabbing about the poor defense for the last 4 years. Last night: shot clock winding down, Glory Johnston on N.O., and she sags off so far that she gave up an easy jumper. Years ago, N.O. would have been swarmed ass soon as she picked up her dribble.

I don't know, without a long rant.....

Yes, UT needs to get moving on a new coach. No, none oft the ones on staff will, (IMO) be the 'one' to succeed Pat. I think, before her illness, her plan was to mentor her son into the role (not entirely certain, but seemed to be the drift).

This seems obvious, but I'll say it anyway: Wouldn't it be correct to presume that this is Pat's final year and that the U. of Tennessee officials are letting her play out the string for this year in honor of her accomplishments and stature? It certainly will be interesting to see who comes next.

Reaction Score
DC, TN has players that are 6'1-6'4" (Manning, Baugh, Johnson, Stricklen) all according to LV fans supposedly more athletic than Faris who at 5'11" was covering a player 3" taller.

Card, as far as 23 minutes. Getting a player off the floor is, also, part of a defensive strategy. It is the smart team that tries to deny a team its best player by finding a way to remove that player from the court.

I understand that. One of the calls was very suspect especially given how physical the game was being played and how much they let go.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This seems obvious, but I'll say it anyway: Wouldn't it be correct to presume that this is Pat's final year and that the U. of Tennessee officials are letting her play out the string for this year in honor of her accomplishments and stature? It certainly will be interesting to see who comes next.
Given what we are seeing I am expecting that is exactly what we are seeing occur.

Reaction Score
Whoa, folks.

UT stunk, no question: also at the end of a cross-country road trip that went from NYC to California, and in Stanford's gym.

I KNOW you remember playing in Stanford's gym, correct??

And some of you will remember Stonford losing a game or two on a similar road trip last season??

UT has serious issues on defense. They have serious issues with the staff. They DO have athletic talent, though, and any opponent who faces them when they are rebounding well will face a tough game.

I try to tell UT fans the same thing about other teams: you can't underestimate what they can do in any one game. Look at frigging Notre Dame last year.

Reaction Score
Hey, before you get your hackles up, I have grown to like UConn's program quite a bit, and UT's less over the years, but I AM a Tenn hick, so will probably never go away from it completely.

Anyway, my thought on Baylor: I watched the game, and re-watched again on ESPN3.com. What did I see??

Virtually NO picking of Griner. She roamed the backline freely, was able to pull off Dolson and go after the UConn slashers.

Here's how I'd approach it, when you have great athletes like UConn:
-pick or screen her EVERY time she runs down court, multiple times
-on 'Dives', pick her not once, but twice: first with Dolson/Buck, then with a guard
-ALWAYS keep a body between her and your shooter; make the refs call it
-ALWAYS play behind her on defense...let her shoot, maybe she'll score 80...but do NOT let her on the offensive glass.

I won't waste a bunch of your time; I do believe UConn and Baylor will meet again. UConn has a GREAT offense, and 'skeeter'??? She is special. Way special. UConn is the best TEAM in the country, while Griner/Sims are the best PAIR in the country.

Good luck guys, what a fantastic offense!!!
Good suggestion! Way to think outside the box. The same idea had also crossed my mind before. It wouldn't even be that difficult to do as long as you had smart and quick players to carry it out. I actually used the same techneque in a game we played in a long time ago with great success. The other team had a very tall center who was blocking everything in the first half until the plan was implimented. He got no blocks in the second.

Reaction Score
Good suggestion! Way to think outside the box. The same idea had also crossed my mind before. It wouldn't even be that difficult to do as long as you had smart and quick players to carry it out. I actually used the same techneque in a game we played in a long time ago with great success. The other team had a very tall center who was blocking everything in the first half until the plan was implimented. He got no blocks in the second.
Thanks; I am not a Baylor fan...and I like A&M even less!!

Reaction Score
Given what we are seeing I am expecting that is exactly what we are seeing occur.
Somebody is going to have to take the car keys away from Pat, and that won't be an easy decision for Tenn's AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom