This has become just plain sad | Page 5 | The Boneyard

This has become just plain sad

Reaction Score
Well that's not the answer for people who have been fans well beyond the glory days of JC. But this reply tells us why they are empty these days so thank you. We don't have enough of the fans of the program like we used to, just frontrunners. Win or I'm not going to support the kids in the uni - actually very pitiful when you think of it!

I will still buy tickets and attend the games, but those that I don't see in person aren't must see TV anymore. Prepping for Christmas Eve dinner yesterday was basically like "oh, right, we're playing" (turns on tv) "hmm, down 15 already. sounds about right" (turns off TV).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honest questions for the folks saying that Ollie was better off with Hobbs, Blaney, and Miller; if they get credit for help on x's and o's, do they get some blame for our many roster issues over the past couple of years? Wasn't Miller the recruiting coordinator? And isn't part of the reason for bringing in "Kill and Chill" to fix the roster?

Serious questions, I'm not looking to start a fight...

Didn’t those guys bring in the string 2016 class that fell apart? They got Adams, Gilbert. MAL. What have the new guys done?

I have a tin foil hat theory. Those guys brought in guys who frankly were not comfortable in the new KO environment. So he got guys who would bring in different kinds of players who would put up with his crap.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree 100% with Fishy.

I never wanted Ollie as HC. But I supported him. While I think he’s done a terrible job since the changes in his personal life, and is no longer the man I once respected, I felt that our best hope was for him to grow and change, and become the coach we needed. I no longer even harbor hopes that he can do that. I sense that he has given up on himself.

His contract is a major problem. Paying him and another coach is beyond our means. So if they need to bring out “cause” and stain the reputation of certain people, then they need do it. Maybe he will take a settlement and move to the NBA.

I look forward to someone who can restore the integrity of the program, the pride that wearing the UConn uniform used to instill. It’s not too late. I think some of these kids are looking for leadership to push them to be and do more.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with Fishy.

I never wanted Ollie as HC. But I supported him. While I think he’s done a terrible job since the changes in his personal life, and is no longer the man I once respected, I felt that our best hope was for him to grow and change, and become the coach we needed. I no longer even harbor hopes that he can do that. I sense that he has given up on himself.

His contract is a major problem. Paying him and another coach is beyond our means. So if they need to bring out “cause” and stain the reputation of certain people, then they need do it. Maybe he will take a settlement and move to the NBA.

I look forward to someone who can restore the integrity of the program, the pride that wearing the UConn uniform used to instill. It’s not too late. I think some of these kids are looking for leadership to push them to be and do more.
I'm fine with Ollie's skeletons coming out of the closet. I am worried how it will be viewed and spun by the media (UConn admin knew this was going on and they didn't fire him earlier? etc. etc.). Best case scenario is that they reach an agreement to a lower number and keep everything hush.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I feel the same as you. When people notice the "Husky" sweatshirt I still wear, I feel like I must tell them that I'm a big fan of the Uconn women. (which I am!) If they mention the men, I change the subject.

I'm beginning to regret that grocery stores have quit using the big, brown paper bags that fans of the 1970's era Saints (Aint's!) used to wear over their heads at games.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to regret that grocery stores have quit using the big, brown paper bags that fans of the 1970's era Saints (Aint's!) used to wear over their heads at games.
Whole Foods and Traded Joe's have them.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I feel the same as you. When people notice the "Husky" sweatshirt I still wear, I feel like I must tell them that I'm a big fan of the Uconn women. (which I am!) If they mention the men, I change the subject.
Something tells me that that's not the same as Mau's response. More like "We have a women's team?"

FWIW around 25% of my wardrobe is Husky gear of various sorts and I don't wear it any less proudly or frequently than ever, and I'm just as willing to talk about and acknowledge my fandom of the men's team as ever.

Reaction Score
There have been some. UNC Charlotte just let Mark Price go and ECarolina let Jeff Lebo go. I think both were due to lousy records. This is a delicate time for AD David Benedict. Letting a coach go mid season can be problematic. Also problematic is letting him stay and the team claws its way back to some respectability by the end of the season. I would say that the majority of the Yard has seen enough of KO(although I don't know how much pull we have) but AD David Benedict has to make the call. IMO bringing JC back is not the direction to go and I doubt he would accept if asked.
On the theme of North Carolina programs, NC State announced in mid-February they were firing their coach at the end of last season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of these conversations about canning KO are moot until we have a legitimately viable head coaching candidate replacement for him. It's easy to see the team perform as it has and say 'fire the coach'. Simply put, there is no better option for coaching this program right now than KO. Calhoun is not walking through that door.

Losing your starting PG back to back years in an offense predicated on having 2 PG on the floor is a huge blow. I don't think it's fair to evaluate KO as a result.

The PG is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor. UConn legitimately has had no consistency at PG post-Shabazz. Boat and Gibbs were not true PG, and neither is Adams. All are better 2G. Gilbert was supposed to be that true PG. Is not having a true PG an indictment on poor recruiting? Yes. But Gilbert's injury is also bad luck for two years running.

As I said earlier, I don't think you can fairly evaluate KO given the circumstances. This is his first year with a new coaching staff. Recruiting and chemistry are going to take time.

Am I disappointed in the state of the team? Absolutely. Does KO have flaws that seemingly and frustratingly are not being corrected? Yes. I find myself not enjoying UConn basketball nearly as much as I used to. It's easier on my sanity to DVR the game and turn it off when they start to get blown out and finish watching later after I've cooled off.

The stats Fishy mentioned on his original post are alarming. However, I am keeping the faith that with a real PG on the floor, some improvement in recruiting, and some time with his staff that KO can turn things around. I'm less confident than I have been, but I'm keeping the faith that Calhoun picked KO for a reason and that he's the right guy for this program.

Who's responsible for putting the roster together?

He bet the farm on a guy with a bad shoulder, and let our only high-major caliber recruit -- at the same position -- walk away.

That's to say nothing of the abject lack of toughness, pride, and basketball IQ displayed by vastly different rosters over 4 years.

Reaction Score
You know we forget who he was surrounded by; Hobbs and Miller specifically. Those two probably had as much input in winning it all as Ollie. They may not have been great head coaches but their resumes will say they are great assistants. Oh and early on during our runs did 'he' really 'outcoach' Izzo, Huggy, Cal and the other great coaches, or did 'they' (he with Hobbs and Miller)? Also add 'Coach' Bazz and they had a winning formula.

Those 3 are long gone and it appears Ollie is struggling on his own, and he is still a 'new' or fresh Coach surrounded by who?

Just saying Ollie is in over his head, with the level of competition and certainly the level of opponent coaches he is up against. Ricky, Kevin and crew are out of their league and Chillious and Killings are first year assistants here, ponder that.

Even Calhoun owes a lot of his success to Blaney and his crew. We may only see JC and his HOF title but he could not have done it on his own. He had excellent assistants many who went on to venture into HC positions themselves (credit JC). I see no one on the bench capable of being a HC, or HC in training. There is nothing to learn on that bench from a first time Coach. Anyway before we can recruit we need wins and success. Success breeds attraction. We need to get that one recruit like a Chris Smith who can turn us around, but even Smitty came in as the missing or needed piece. Unfortunately right now we need so many 'pieces' and sadly no one here can tell what the completed picture is supposed to look like under Ollie.
I remember KO saying that in the game preps for the 2014 run Miller and the staff worked 24/7 on defensive schemes and plans. Maybe he gets too much credit for that but it is his title.

Reaction Score
Something tells me that that's not the same as Mau's response. More like "We have a women's team?"

FWIW around 25% of my wardrobe is Husky gear of various sorts and I don't wear it any less proudly or frequently than ever, and I'm just as willing to talk about and acknowledge my fandom of the men's team as ever.

I get a t-shirt for every championship, men's or women's.

Needless to say, about a third of the t-shirts I wear regularly are UConn championship shirts. I also have a long-sleeve shirt from dual championships in 2004 that is in tatters, but I still wear the hell out of it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everything about Ollie these days says "half assed". He is mailing it in, and UConn can't afford to fire him.

I do think the athletic program is irrevocably damaged by the conference situation, and there will never be a return to the glory days. UConn may get lucky, but I think we have appeared in our last Final Four.
I don't think he's mailing it in. I just think he realizes that he doesn't have any answers.

Reaction Score
Rock meet bottom.

Remember this is a business and men's basketball is a key product in that business, if UConn Athletics was on the stock market all the pundits would be screaming sell after yesterday's utter debacle. There really is no other way to look at it - the program as it stands right now is an unmitigated disaster that keeps getting progressively worse game by game.

Reaction Score
Rock meet bottom.

Remember this is a business and men's basketball is a key product in that business, if UConn Athletics was on the stock market all the pundits would be screaming sell after yesterday's utter debacle. There really is no other way to look at it - the program as it stands right now is an unmitigated disaster that keeps getting progressively worse game by game.

Point meet Captain Obvious.

Thanks for the reminder I haven't seen that enough Coach.

Reaction Score
Conference is a problem, but not the only one.

Wichita, cinci, much of the big east. We have potential with our brand. And the aac is improving every year

Reaction Score
All of these conversations about canning KO are moot until we have a legitimately viable head coaching candidate replacement for him. It's easy to see the team perform as it has and say 'fire the coach'. Simply put, there is no better option for coaching this program right now than KO. Calhoun is not walking through that door.

Losing your starting PG back to back years in an offense predicated on having 2 PG on the floor is a huge blow. I don't think it's fair to evaluate KO as a result.

The PG is supposed to be an extension of the coach on the floor. UConn legitimately has had no consistency at PG post-Shabazz. Boat and Gibbs were not true PG, and neither is Adams. All are better 2G. Gilbert was supposed to be that true PG. Is not having a true PG an indictment on poor recruiting? Yes. But Gilbert's injury is also bad luck for two years running.

As I said earlier, I don't think you can fairly evaluate KO given the circumstances. This is his first year with a new coaching staff. Recruiting and chemistry are going to take time.

Am I disappointed in the state of the team? Absolutely. Does KO have flaws that seemingly and frustratingly are not being corrected? Yes. I find myself not enjoying UConn basketball nearly as much as I used to. It's easier on my sanity to DVR the game and turn it off when they start to get blown out and finish watching later after I've cooled off.

The stats Fishy mentioned on his original post are alarming. However, I am keeping the faith that with a real PG on the floor, some improvement in recruiting, and some time with his staff that KO can turn things around. I'm less confident than I have been, but I'm keeping the faith that Calhoun picked KO for a reason and that he's the right guy for this program.

Gilbert being out and having no PG is bad luck or a combination of bad luck and poor planning? KO lost MAL and replaced him with Antwoine Anderson. Please don't argue that Anderson who shoots 38% from 2 and 27% from 3 is more of a shooting or combo guard. We run sets where Anderson is camped out in the corner to shoot threes, despite being a poor 3 point shooter. KO is responsible for this roster and the lack of true point guards falls squarely on him.

Reaction Score
Exactly so, and I can picture the conversation beginning with the words, "Quite frankly..."

Ah yes, it would only make sense for Chief to be the one to slap Ollie in the face with some reality, Blaze would be a good setting.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's mailing it in. I just think he realizes that he doesn't have any answers.
KO does seem much more engaged this year but I agree that he doesn't have answers.
A lot of that has to do with the makeup of the team. No true PG, poor outside shooting, turnover prone and a young front court. He is responsible for the makeup of the team so he gets the responsibility for that but JC or any other HOF coach wouldn't have the answers and win with this group against top teams.

Reaction Score
KO does seem much more engaged this year but I agree that he doesn't have answers.
A lot of that has to do with the makeup of the team. No true PG, poor outside shooting, turnover prone and a young front court. He is responsible for the makeup of the team so he gets the responsibility for that but JC or any other HOF coach wouldn't have the answers and win with this group against top teams.

I’m in that camp too. Not sure about the people who ask him to be more engaged he is. His energy has been good on the sidelines but some do not react well, Jalen should have been yanked the other night vs Zona when he reacted to KO criticism with whining and hand motions like it wasn’t his fault. JC would have reached for his jersey then grabbed an assistant and said get his ass outta there. No control is all and between substitutions and I’m bounds plays, my God.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can’t read through this whole thread. At least don’t want to. I don’t know why anyone watching Ollie’s teams would have been optimistic. Hopeful I understand because I was/am hopeful The NC masked how inconsistent even that team was. There hasn’t been a consistent season since with too much losing. Mediocre in the AAC.

Dom Perno had problems competing once UConn went into the Big East and nothing shows Ollie growing in the job. They just don’t play like a coached team. If the guards don’t break down the D, there seems to be no Plan B. And the D comes and goes too often.

Obviously a mid-season firing isn’t a thrilling idea. But if canning KO whenever costs recruits or players, we’ll have to swallow it. And asking Calhoun to come back I think is bad idea. We need a change and a good younger basketball mind/motivator.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Our assistant coaches look even more lifeless than KO most of the time. Chillious in particular reminds me of Beaky Buzzard

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Our assistant coaches look even more lifeless than KO most of the time. Chillious in particular reminds me of Beaky Buzzard
That's the look of someone that just left a notoriously underperforming staff to join one that is on one of the hottest seats in America. He is thinking about resume formatting options and such on the sideline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom