This has become just plain sad | Page 7 | The Boneyard

This has become just plain sad

Reaction Score
Good post but disagree with your take on Perno as a recruiter. He was not a great recruiter but not a bad one either. He recruited some really top players during his tenure, kids like Corny Thompson, Mike McKay, Karl Hobbs, Bruce Kuzenski, Earl Kelly, Chuck Alexinas, Norman Bailey. IIRC he also began recruiting Phil Gamble and Cliff Robinson before getting canned. Not a top recruit, but Perno did recruit Glen Miller. You have to remember that towards the end of his tenure at Uconn Perno was fielding teams to go up against some of the greatest teams and HOF coaches in Big East history. If you look back from 1979 to 1984-85, yes he had a few blowouts at the hands of John Thompson and Georgetown and Carnasecca and ST John's, but they also lost scores of games in OT or by ten points or so.

He also recruited Cliffy and Phil Gamble.

Reaction Score
I thinks it's a matter of having no choice but to make a change. This is like Diaco all over again.
The question is if they fire him now, who is the interim coach and who do they bring in at the end of the season? Hobbs or Glen Miller would be my guess as an interim. For a new coach, I'd say Hurley or Konkol would be excellent hires, and yes I see no problem with bringing back a fired assistant as interim coach.

Reaction Score
I think it's worse. The football program never won 4 national titles and was considered elite. This fall from grace is as dire as it gets.

In referencing Diaco, I was referring to the decision AD Dave has to make. You have a coach who will not turn things around. Therefore you find a way to a buyout of KO and a salary for new coach. If his reuses his blueprint from the Diaco transition, he will wait until the year is over then pull the trigger. I would be shocked if he went back to JC, it's more likely he brings in a guy like Hurley or similar. This gives the new coach a chance to hang onto the recruits and maybe pickup a viable transfer/grad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He also recruited Cliffy and Phil Gamble.

Perno had his faults but he was handcuffed by the school administration in recruiting, same as his predecessors were. Marginal qualifiers didn't get admitted. We were trying to live by Ivy League standards when all of our competition were playing by different rules.

Reaction Score
We don’t have a recruit with a higher ranking than 60 and that includes Wilson. If that is killing it on the recruiting trail, I would argue the point.
They've made it worse?? Killings had been on board for a year and Chillious joined up this March. So any freshman that Killings was involved with is just that; a freshman. And Chillious's effect won't be felt until Akinjo, Matthews, and Kisunas are on campus...
e

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We don’t have a recruit with a higher ranking than 60 and that includes Wilson. If that is killing it on the recruiting trail, I would argue the point.

e

Feel free to highlight the part of my post that says they are killing it. I'll wait...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know field hockey is important when it gets called volleyball.

Reaction Score
Perno had his faults but he was handcuffed by the school administration in recruiting, same as his predecessors were. Marginal qualifiers didn't get admitted. We were trying to live by Ivy League standards when all of our competition were playing by different rules.

But he wasn't a very good coach, again a wonderful guy and a UConn guy......hmmmmm:confused:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
No one is psyched to watch a dumpster fire. As long as you don't completely bail on the program, you aren't a fair weather fan, just human. Being a fan of a crap team feels more like an obligation than anything else and the primary time for optimism is the off-season.

#BillsFan.

Please UConn, don't do that to me. One of my few consistencies in life, and it's quickly going away.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good post but disagree with your take on Perno as a recruiter. He was not a great recruiter but not a bad one either. He recruited some really top players during his tenure, kids like Corny Thompson, Mike McKay, Karl Hobbs, Bruce Kuzenski, Earl Kelly, Chuck Alexinas, Norman Bailey. IIRC he also began recruiting Phil Gamble and Cliff Robinson before getting canned. Not a top recruit, but Perno did recruit Glen Miller. You have to remember that towards the end of his tenure at Uconn Perno was fielding teams to go up against some of the greatest teams and HOF coaches in Big East history. If you look back from 1979 to 1984-85, yes he had a few blowouts at the hands of John Thompson and Georgetown and Carnasecca and ST John's, but they also lost scores of games in OT or by ten points or so.
Perno was always good for the occasional Cuse beatdown.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
KO does seem much more engaged this year but I agree that he doesn't have answers.
A lot of that has to do with the makeup of the team. No true PG, poor outside shooting, turnover prone and a young front court. He is responsible for the makeup of the team so he gets the responsibility for that but JC or any other HOF coach wouldn't have the answers and win with this group against top teams.
Agree, but I have to think that Jim Calhoun would have them looking more organized. Remember how tough his early teams were with less talent.

Reaction Score
Perno was always good for the occasional Cuse beatdown.
Yes, but only occasional. They beat Cuse twice in 1980, beat Georgetown and St John's as well that year. Got hosed by the NCAA committee. I remember them beating Cuse in 85 as well. During Perno's tenure I only recall them getting spanked good by Cuse only three or four times, after playing them at least twice every year, and a couple times in the BET. They either beat them or they lost very close games.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
The fact is he didn't outcoach squat. We had the player of the year playing like the player of the year. He lifted all the other players. If Ollie's coaching was a factor, we would have seen at least some evidence of such coaching over the last 3.5 seasons.
Don't think so. There were adjustments, whether they came via Miller or Hobbs. is unknown. Having Bazz sure didn't hurt though.

CL82

Reaction Score
Dom wasn't a great game day coach. Players didn't seem to develop under him and he let the inmates run the asylum. His recruiting wasn't bad though.

Reaction Score
Dom wasn't a great game day coach. Players didn't seem to develop under him and he let the inmates run the asylum. His recruiting wasn't bad though.
Perno vs early Calhoun, I would give him lower marks as a game coach and much lower marks in player development.

Reaction Score
Feel free to highlight the part of my post that says they are killing it. I'll wait...
Sorry about that, did not mean to respond directly to your post.Just referring to those that think recruiting is great

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom