This has become just plain sad | Page 10 | The Boneyard

This has become just plain sad

Reaction Score
Geno would be better than Donovan by almost 2 years? LOL..this place is losing it fast.
Wow, you couldn't tell I was joking? Man, the one losing it is you. Geno would need rocks in his head to leave the women's program. That being said though, I'll bet he has a say in who they do hire.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@Stairmaster, you have posted a dozen times in the past six hours and garnered a total of 2 likes. One was for your criticism of a post that was quickly acknowledged as a joke. And, you've used the words "we" and "us," in addition to claiming that you are a voice of logic with a greater sense than anyone as to how UConn is seen in the real world, outside the bubble of the Boneyard. The first person plural needs something more robust than what I'm seeing in an already mature thread that has located a fair amount of common ground among quite recently hostile factions within the Boneyard fan base.
I must have missed your labored walk-through the landscape of logic that eludes the posters who have taken issue with your current flurry of posts. I can't locate myself among the alumni, the emotional, the delusional, or those living in the past. Nor can I find clarity, reason, or much sense in what you've written.
What has happened since you changed your long-necked avatar?

Reaction Score
I've laid out logical reasons why I think the future will not exceed the past. Those arguing the opposite appeal to emotion in order to make themselves feel better, because they can't bear to even consider the alternative.
Look, I get the probability is low. But it was low when Calhoun was hired too. No one would have guessed what happened would happen. Hell, I wouldn't have guessed it in 1998. Crazy stuff happens sometimes and we have been crazy blessed. Maybe we hire a great basketball coach and we become relevant again. Maybe Edsell atones for his sins and builds us a solid football program. Maybe we get invited to the ACC and a new era begins.

To get there, no matter how unlikely, we need to take the first step. If we don't take a chance by hiring a coach with a chance to make us relevant, it definitely won't happen.

Reaction Score
@Stairmaster, you have posted a dozen times in the past six hours and garnered a total of 2 likes. One was for your criticism of a post that was quickly acknowledged as a joke. And, you've used the words "we" and "us," in addition to claiming that you are a voice of logic with a greater sense than anyone as to how UConn is seen in the real world, outside the bubble of the Boneyard. The first person plural needs something more robust than what I'm seeing in an already mature thread that has located a fair amount of common ground among quite recently hostile factions within the Boneyard fan base.
I must have missed your labored walk-through the landscape of logic that eludes the posters who have taken issue with your current flurry of posts. I can't locate myself among the alumni, the emotional, the delusional, or those living in the past. Nor can I find clarity, reason, or much sense in what you've written.
Some of these Boneyard Bozo's are just as clueless as the mens basketball coach. Well maybe clueless might be too strong a word, blinded by sorrow might be a better way of putting it.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
There is a lot of dry ground between Kevin Ollie and Jim Calhoun. Most on this board ( from what I have seen ) expect to carve out a spot somewhere in between. Each of your posts ( until recently ) have implied that we cannot do any better than Kevin Ollie, and those who insist we can must be expecting another Jim Calhoun.

I think you are fighting ghosts. I have not seen any posts expecting another Jim Calhoun. I have seen many that expect an experienced and competent coach. If we find the $$$ to make a move this year, we will have plenty of options.
Here's the thing. You are expecting Stairmaster to make sense.

Stairmaster has built a very high and steep hill over the years that he has committed to dying on. For him to save face, he needs to be ahead of the turning tide of the fan base, from "Oh you think a national champion KO isn't deserving of this job?" to a year later "we can't really do any better than KO, thinking so will doom the program". The strategy behind this is that by realizing he has been wrong all these years, his best defense is to convince everyone they are the ones who are actually wrong by twisting up their words into nonsense.

I for one can't wait to see what the next episode of "Stairmaster: Saving Face" holds, gonna be one hell of a season.

Reaction Score
What do both of those schools have in common?

HCs who stayed there for 10+ years to put their unique system in place.

Nobody here has the patience for that. I really feel bad for the new coach as it pertains to the "win immediately" expectations he'll have on him.

Your general message of 'be careful what you wish for' is not wrong. But both Few (who was building off Monson) and Marshall had success much more quickly than you imply. That's not to say it would be easy to find the next Few or Marshall.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Your general message of 'be careful what you wish for' is not wrong. But both Few (who was building off Monson) and Marshall had success much more quickly than you imply. That's not to say it would be easy to find the next Few or Marshall.
"Be careful what you wish for" is only a valid point to be made IF your current head coach is NOT a steaming pile of incompetence. At this point we have nothing to lose, scratch that, we have everything to gain.

Reaction Score
"Be careful what you wish for" is only a valid point to be made IF your current head coach is NOT a steaming pile of incompetence. At this point we have nothing to lose, scratch that, we have everything to gain.
we're routinely the worst coached team on the court. some people don't think we're at rock bottom, but I think that started last year

C

Chief00

The question is if they fire him now, who is the interim coach and who do they bring in at the end of the season? Hobbs or Glen Miller would be my guess as an interim. For a new coach, I'd say Hurley or Konkol would be excellent hires, and yes I see no problem with bringing back a fired assistant as interim coach.

I guarantee you it won’t be Glen Miller.

Reaction Score

Stairmaster has built a very high and steep hill over the years that he has committed to dying on. For him to save face, he needs to be ahead of the turning tide of the fan base, from "Oh you think a national champion KO isn't deserving of this job?" to a year later "we can't really do any better than KO, thinking so will doom the program". The strategy behind this is that by realizing he has been wrong all these years, his best defense is to convince everyone they are the ones who are actually wrong by twisting up their words into nonsense.

I for one can't wait to see what the next episode of "Stairmaster: Saving Face" holds, gonna be one hell of a season.
Lol...I picked 20 fights at this time a year ago when I said fire Ollie.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
When it comes to men's basketball? You and everyone else are living in the past.

Right. We should be happy with an ineffective coach because we can’t hope to do better. We should accept being a middling program in a middling conference because we can’t hope to do better. You’ve been consistent, at least . . .

Lest you want to make this about Donovan (admittedly the longest of long shots), your response to any suggestion has basically been “why would he want to coach here?”

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I am a more sensible, intelligent, and logical poster than you. As a matter of fact, my posts are superior to yours in every way imaginable.

You, on the other hand, post with the sense of a two-year-old having a temper tantrum.

I don't have to do any work to twist your words into nonsense. They already come out of your mouth that way.

You have to be a goshdarn vegetable to think I am arguing that KO be kept. Search through my post history and count how many times I have said that it's fine if he is fired. Again, all I am saying is that you are going to be incredibly disappointed at how the next coach's tenure goes. And I can't wait to see how you process it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Right. We should be happy with an ineffective coach because we can’t hope to do better. We should accept being a middling program in a middling conference because we can’t hope to do better. You’ve been consistent, at least . . .

Lest you want to make this about Donovan (admittedly the longest of long shots), your response to any suggestion has basically been “why would he want to coach here?”

I think KO should be fired just as much as you do.

The difference is, you have baseless and irrational optimism about things getting better after that happens. I mean, if facing reality is too painful for you, do what you have to do.

Re. "why would he want to coach here?" I think that a bunch of UConn homers who have a more favorable view of the program than virtually the rest of the media and CBB community are poor gauges of how attractive the coaching job here is. You don't understand how permanently the last 3 years have damaged the brand. It doesn't get erased once KO leaves.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Oh, it can very well be worse. Seeing you start to realize that will give me glee to no end.

Reaction Score
I am a more sensible, intelligent, and logical poster than you. As a matter of fact, my posts are superior to yours in every way imaginable.

You, on the other hand, post with the sense of a two-year-old having a temper tantrum.

I don't have to do any work to twist your words into nonsense. They already come out of your mouth that way.

You have to be a goshdarn vegetable to think I am arguing that KO be kept. Search through my post history and count how many times I have said that it's fine if he is fired. Again, all I am saying is that you are going to be incredibly disappointed at how the next coach's tenure goes. And I can't wait to see how you process it.

Lmao

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

It took Few 16 years to make an Elite 8. Gregg Marshall has made it past the 2nd Round twice in 10 years.

And you're darn tootin' it will not be easy to find the next Few or Marshall. I have yet to see a rational argument as to why it would be. Then again, I'm probably asking too much.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

I don't care about likes. This isn't a popularity contest. Likes have nothing to do with how right I am.

Also, you have 75% of the board on ignore, so it's not surprising that you don't realize I am not the only one espousing similar views.

I have made plenty of posts laying out the financial issues facing the program. The fantasies about negotiating the buyout down are being crafted by people trying to talk themselves into an "everything will be okay" scenario because they can't handle the alternative. I have also made plenty of posts illustrating the increasing comparative advantage mid-tier P5 schools are gaining within the college basketball landscape as a whole. Again, if you don't read my posts, that's on you -- take a search through my history.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Look, I get the probability is low. But it was low when Calhoun was hired too. No one would have guessed what happened would happen. Hell, I wouldn't have guessed it in 1998. Crazy stuff happens sometimes and we have been crazy blessed. Maybe we hire a great basketball coach and we become relevant again. Maybe Edsell atones for his sins and builds us a solid football program. Maybe we get invited to the ACC and a new era begins.

To get there, no matter how unlikely, we need to take the first step. If we don't take a chance by hiring a coach with a chance to make us relevant, it definitely won't happen.

And I'm saying it's fine to hire a coach who could bring us there. Key word "could" -- everyone here is taking it as a certainty that they will. What's the likelihood of said coach flaming out and leaving us in the same spot in March 2021?

Again, this is the route we have to go down. It's not an argument for keeping Ollie. But this is what the future may well hold, and it's very frustrating seeing how few people are prepared for that.

Reaction Score
I don't care about likes. This isn't a popularity contest. Likes have nothing to do with how right I am.

Also, you have 75% of the board on ignore, so it's not surprising that you don't realize I am not the only one espousing similar views.

I have made plenty of posts laying out the financial issues facing the program. The fantasies about negotiating the buyout down are being crafted by people trying to talk themselves into an "everything will be okay" scenario because they can't handle the alternative. I have also made plenty of posts illustrating the increasing comparative advantage mid-tier P5 schools are gaining within the college basketball landscape as a whole. Again, if you don't read my posts, that's on you -- take a search through my history.
17 posts, 2 likes :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom