OT: - Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Coreect, It has nothing to do with me. There are only a handful of rules that matter:
  • don't wear plaids with stripes
  • don't wear your pants with the waistband just below your nipples
  • no black socks with sandals
  • don't wear spandex if you're a fatty
It was a line from Streep in the scene, which I believe applies here.

Irrespective, it's a tremendous scene, and I'll always stop on that movie if I come across it while surfing because of it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A truly kind and generous offer. I need to pick the thing back up and see if I remember anything at all.
I'm sure you can still play "House of the Rising Sun"!

I've got a cheapo electric and practice amp I bought from South Shore Music in Quincy 22 years ago. I stopped playing when one of the frets seemed to raise up from the neck on the high E string, causing the string to sound tinny. Never fixed it and it's just been collecting dust for 15 years or so. But the offer of free lessons from ADub might actually get me to take it in and get it fixed and restrung.

Reaction Score
It's golf. It's always golf.

Also suck at DIY stuff, I just don't have the patience - would rather pay to have it done right.

Reaction Score
running long distances.

i am in good enough shape to bike 50 miles or play pick-up basketball for 3 hours straight, but i feel like i am going to die after jogging three quarters of a mile. i might be able to get into it if i did it more often, but i have found other (in my opinion) more enjoyable ways to get exercise.
The first 1/2-1 mile is the toughest. My theory is that it's because we don't focus enough on breathing. We start out jogging, become short of breath, and then our breathing has to catch up to fuel our muscles. Then we eventually get into a rhythm and it becomes easier.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Irrespective, it's a tremendous scene, and I'll always stop on that movie if I come across it while surfing because of it.
It really is a striking shade of blue.
Drink?
This is the part I have already mastered. Indeed, could probably give lessons myself.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I've seen the movie. Good acting, but couldn't care less about the fashion industry.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can parallel park with the best of them, and I can back into a spot with my eyes closed, but for the life of me I can't just pull into a freaking parking spot the normal way without ending up completely crooked and/or about 2 inches away from another car.

It's just weird.

In my defense, I suppose, I don't drive all that often, since I live in NYC, but it's been a life-long problem and the sample size is large enough.
When I was spending a lot of time in NYC I got used to the pull forward parallel parking method. Now if you ask me how to back in parallel parking I can explain it to you it’s very formulaic, but pulling in forward is art form.

That is weird about not being able to pull into a parking spot. A lot of people back in using their reverse cameras anyway.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Weird fact. Im a righty and do everything righty (baseball batting, golf, Hockey, hoops shooting) I throw a Frisbee lefty.

I've got the same thing going, but my only left handed thing is playing pool. . . .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've seen the movie. Good acting, but couldn't care less about the fashion industry.
Good Lord you're obtuse.

The whole point of the scene is that people exactly like you, who claim to not care at all about fashion, nonetheless are affected by it, because designers design the clothes you are "choosing" to say you don't care, with the intention of making you choose them for that very reason.

Not saying you have to care.

Reaction Score
I can parallel park with the best of them, and I can back into a spot with my eyes closed, but for the life of me I can't just pull into a freaking parking spot the normal way without ending up completely crooked and/or about 2 inches away from another car.

It's just weird.

In my defense, I suppose, I don't drive all that often, since I live in NYC, but it's been a life-long problem and the sample size is large enough.
It's all geometry.

Reaction Score
It's golf. It's always golf.

Also suck at DIY stuff, I just don't have the patience - would rather pay to have it done right.
Almost anything I buy at a store that requires set up, I tell the merchant to please open it and set it up for me. After I have paid for it, then they set it up.

Example: I bought a back yard spinner that resembles a hot air balloon. You have to stick the spokes in holes all around.

I hate having to figure out directions from a manual. I ordered a surge protector with all kinds of plugs and openings so I called my electrician rather than poring over a manual.

If I buy online, I plod through it as best I can. Sometimes I can set up the item myself. Other times, I package the task with more complex home improvement tasks and pay the carpenter to do them all at the same time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Good Lord you're obtuse.

The whole point of the scene is that people exactly like you, who claim to not care at all about fashion, nonetheless are affected by it, because designers design the clothes you are "choosing" to say you don't care, with the intention of making you choose them for that very reason.

Not saying you have to care.
Well, you have a point. When planning a trip to Europe, I go to my local Goodwill store and find cheap crap that will allow me to fit in that I don't have to worry about repacking for my return home. I am conscious of not looking too "American" over there. So that's my concession.

Did Streep's character spend a lot of time and energy on UConn logo wear?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, but I could see a parody around someone scoffing at the differences between the blue and white classic Husky and the one with red accents.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No, but I could see a parody around someone scoffing at the differences between the blue and white classic Husky and the one with red accents.
Given the number of people here who favor the grey unis and even the black ones, you could be looking at a total donnybrook in the conference room.

Reaction Score
Dribbling a basketball with my right hand even though I'm naturally right-handed.

I'm right-handed for literally everything else. I shoot jump shots with my right and do layups and runners just fine and I can drive left all day and twice on Sunday but I can't go three dribbles with my right hand without losing control. Annoys the hell out of me!

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Well, you have a point. When planning a trip to Europe, I go to my local Goodwill store and find cheap crap that will allow me to fit in that I don't have to worry about repacking for my return home. I am conscious of not looking too "American" over there. So that's my concession.

Under-rated travel tip - disposable clothing! I do it too when I can.

Reaction Score
Speaking Spanish.

Despite the name, my mother is from Puerto Rico and a native Spanish speaker. I lived there as a kid for a short while and. My Abuela lived with us and I also have half my family speak English as second Language.

I took 3 years of Spanish in middle school, four years of high school and two years of college at UConn Spanish. My sister speaks Spanish fluently and my dad minored in Spanish when I was a kid .

I speak zero Spanish and can barely put two words together in that language.

Reaction Score
Using scissors, wrapping presents, slicing bread. I am left handed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom