OT: - Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should

Reaction Score
Setback! I knew there had to be other setback players out there somewhere. I was raised in a setback-playing home. My father played in a league back in the 60's. Ever played the variation called "Southern Setback"? I'm trying to teach my kids, but with no screens involved, I just can't get them interested.
Don't know what kind of Setback it was. I think I played whatever the other guys in the UConn dorm played.

I haven't played it in years. I remember how it ends for the winner: "Hi Lo Johnny Game."

Memory is dim, but I might have played it as a teen. Long, long time ago.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ok guitar folks, I thought this would be the case for me. Bought a Fender acoustic about 12 years ago. Tried to learn from YouTube lessons for about a year and a half. Got some chords, but never really any progressions. I have big palms but shorter fingers and just struggled mightily with the mechanics of the strings. I never had the guitar adjusted to make that easier, like filing the frets.

As a person who's hobbies mostly include booze and movies, plus some golf, I am often tempted to try again. But I know I won't succeed on that guitar. I believe I'd need an electric. Is it still worth making the attempt at 56? If so, what's a versatile fairly inexpensive guitar and amp for learning? I imagine Guitar Center would give me something for my Fender, it's in perfect shape.
How this. You don’t need a new guitar. I will Skype lesson you for free once a week for next 6 months. Maybe once in that term take a 90 minute drive to old Lyme and I will take you for a real lobster roll ;-) and spend a couple hours with you for a face to face ( which is a good thing to do). If you really want it. It’s what you do in between the lessons that counts.

August_West

Reaction Score
^^ the above offer stands for any yarder. I’d love to have 2-3 guitar beginners at once weekly for a weekly. Free Skype. I like steady GROUPS of beginners because then there is a community of accountability as in “ howd you do on your homework” it pushes people. No shame just celebrated achievements” pm me

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cornhole. There is absolutely no reason I should be as bad as I am. It has gotten to the point where I literally only throw overhand now and tell my partner I am an all or nothing player.
Bags.

Reaction Score
Throwing a frisbee. Anyone in the 180-degree field of vision in front of me should be prepared to duck. I have no idea where that disc is going.

Selecting an appropriately sized Tupperware for dinner leftovers. I typically go with a container that's far too large, then overcompensate in the other direction and run out of room in a smaller container.

August_West

Reaction Score
Throwing a frisbee. Anyone in the 180-degree field of vision in front of me should be prepared to duck. I have no idea where that disc is going.

Selecting an appropriately sized Tupperware for dinner leftovers. I typically go with a container that's far too large, then overcompensate in the other direction and run out of room in a smaller container.

Weird fact. Im a righty and do everything righty (baseball batting, golf, Hockey, hoops shooting) I throw a Frisbee lefty.

Reaction Score
Fashion. I should care more about it but I just don't. Therefore, I suck at it.

Last year I played disc golf for the first time and I had no idea how serious of a sport this is. I am going to hone my skillz this year. Righty. And yes, it is more difficult than it looks.

throwing paige pierce GIF by Dynamic Discs

August_West

Reaction Score
Fashion. I should care more about it but I just don't. Therefore, I suck at it.

Last year I played disc golf for the first time and I had no idea how serious of a sport this is. I am going to hone my skillz this year. Righty. And yes, it is more difficult than it looks.

throwing paige pierce GIF by Dynamic Discs

You need to watch this and then learn the context of the situation. It might actually be the single biggest clutch play in sporting history.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Weird fact. Im a righty and do everything righty (baseball batting, golf, Hockey, hoops shooting) I throw a Frisbee lefty.
I'm a better cornhole player lefty than righty. Like you, i'm righty on most everything, but I do have decent amibidexterity (if that's a word). I can bowl lefty, and was competent switch hitter.

Reaction Score
You need to watch this and then learn the context of the situation. It might actually be the single biggest clutch play in sporting history.

Well hold on there. "Biggest clutch play in sporting history" is mighty strong terminology. Let's leave it at "disc golf history" which isn't too shabby. It was 252 feet after all. Nothing beats clutch home runs anyway. "The Giants Win the Pennant!!"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well hold on there. "Biggest clutch play in sporting history" is mighty strong terminology. Let's leave it at "disc golf history" which isn't too shabby. It was 252 feet after all. Nothing beats clutch home runs anyway. "The Giants Win the Pennant!!"
Yes, because the biggest clutch play was me hitting the tiny quarter sized red dot for max points with my last throw during corporate team building axe throwing, when I needed exactly that many to win. Split that baby down the middle. Kirk Gibson's walk off homerun, and Malcom Butler's game winning interception in the SuperBowl are worthy, if lesser achievements.

August_West

Reaction Score

Its like someone sinking a 200 yard shot at the masters to beat tiger on hole 18.

Reaction Score
Its like someone sinking a 200 yard shot at the masters to beat tiger on hole 18.
to be fair, it forced a playoff, and I'm sure hole-in-ones are far more common in disc golf than they are in golf. and, it was only a birdie. that's like 3 strikes against.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You think this has nothing to do with you?

Coreect, It has nothing to do with me. There are only a handful of rules that matter:
  • don't wear plaids with stripes
  • don't wear your pants with the waistband just below your nipples
  • no black socks with sandals
  • don't wear spandex if you're a fatty

Reaction Score
Setback! I knew there had to be other setback players out there somewhere. I was raised in a setback-playing home. My father played in a league back in the 60's. Ever played the variation called "Southern Setback"? I'm trying to teach my kids, but with no screens involved, I just can't get them interested.
There is an app called Pitch. Allows you to play many variations of Setback on your device. You can join a game with strangers or set up a game with your peeps and they can be anywhere. It’s great.

Reaction Score
Ok guitar folks, I thought this would be the case for me. Bought a Fender acoustic about 12 years ago. Tried to learn from YouTube lessons for about a year and a half. Got some chords, but never really any progressions. I have big palms but shorter fingers and just struggled mightily with the mechanics of the strings. I never had the guitar adjusted to make that easier, like filing the frets.

As a person who's hobbies mostly include booze and movies, plus some golf, I am often tempted to try again. But I know I won't succeed on that guitar. I believe I'd need an electric. Is it still worth making the attempt at 56? If so, what's a versatile fairly inexpensive guitar and amp for learning? I imagine Guitar Center would give me something for my Fender, it's in perfect shape.
There was a thread about buying starter guitars here on the boneyard not too long ago. There is no reason for you to buy a new guitar. It just takes persistence. Anybody can play any guitar. It just takes time. You are never too old. Just need to keep at it and keep practicing scales, chords and start learning how to play some songs. You will get there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
^^ the above offer stands for any yarder. I’d love to have 2-3 guitar beginners at once weekly for a weekly. Free Skype. I like steady GROUPS of beginners because then there is a community of accountability as in “ howd you do on your homework” it pushes people. No shame just celebrated achievements” pm me
A truly kind and generous offer. I need to pick the thing back up and see if I remember anything at all.

Reaction Score
running long distances.

i am in good enough shape to bike 50 miles or play pick-up basketball for 3 hours straight, but i feel like i am going to die after jogging three quarters of a mile. i might be able to get into it if i did it more often, but i have found other (in my opinion) more enjoyable ways to get exercise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom