OT: - Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should

Reaction Score
yeah, because even if you wanted a beer, the water probly tastes better...
I knew people that swore by it, but I never had a taste for it. I’d have a much longer list.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Oh I have the movie theater additive things (similar to the above). Still F it up.

Reaction Score
Wrapping presents. Absolutely terrible at it. I’ve pretty much given up on trying.

DIY Projects. The problem is I know what needs to be done and generally speaking I know how to do it. The problem for me is executing (or attempting to). I tend to overthink the project and that coupled with my lack of patience leads to things not getting done. Wish I had more experience as I love working around the house - yard work, landscaping, painting, etc.

Public Speaking/Speaking in a Large Group setting. I actually do it quite frequently but I’m still horrible at it. I always feel like I’m fumbling my words or completely go off topic. I always have what I want to say engraved in my brain but when it’s time to say it, the words are completely different. Lol.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Wrapping presents. Absolutely terrible at it. I’ve pretty much given up on trying.

DIY Projects. The problem is I know what needs to be done and generally speaking I know how to do it. The problem for me is executing (or attempting to). I tend to overthink the project and that coupled with my lack of patience leads to things not getting done. Wish I had more experience as I love working around the house - yard work, landscaping, painting, etc.

Public Speaking/Speaking in a Large Group setting. I actually do it quite frequently but I’m still horrible at it. I always feel like I’m fumbling my words or completely go off topic. I always have what I want to say engraved in my brain but when it’s time to say it, the words are completely different. Lol.
This made me laugh recalling the problem I had with shades that were spring loaded. I was reminded as a youngster not to pull down too far or the shade wouldn't work and it could be broken (not go back up). I became so tentative in pulling it when trying to raise it back up that it kept getting further and further down (opposite direction) until it no longer sprang back.

My wife said "just grab it and give it a quick yank (meaning stop thinking too much) and expect it to spring upwards". It worked!!!! Now every time I open one I think of how much that used to bother me and it makes me laugh. I have very little natural mechanical ability or perhaps I tend to just overthink some things that are really kind of simple. LOL.

If you are worried about misspeaking you probably will. If what you are going to say ahead of time is good in your mind then just say it and never mind what the audience is thinking. Say what you mean and mean what you say. My friend had a word of advice for me about that which he used as a motto: "It's none of my business what other people are thinking when I am speaking (or any other time)" In other words be confident in your message; you can't control other peoples thoughts.

Also, there are some very helpful things online to help with public speaking. One of them is to speak publicly as often as possible. The more you do it the less self conscious you become. Also, it helps to know that most of your audience is rooting for you not to mess up and do something that would make you feel uncomfortable. Audiences mostly are pretty sympathetic toward a speaker that way.

On the other hand, I know someone who was a CEO in a large company and had to speak all the time on behalf of his company all over the world. He was traveling to Japan one time and his wife was concerned about his preparation for his talk. His preparation amounted to writing three brief words on a cocktail napkin on the plane! His wife was horrified. The speech came off fine and was well received. He explained to her that he couldn't speak well from detailed prepared documents. In his case he had such a command of the knowledge of what he wanted to convey that he wasn't concerned with style so much as communicating with his audience which he did by eye contact and
focusing on them to get his points across.

Reaction Score

On the public speaking matter, why not video yourself at home. Then, you can see it for yourself afterwards. Maybe, you are doing fine after all.

If you have a mate or a good friend who can be frank with you, let them critique what you say. Maybe any modifications are minor to what you may have imagined.

Maybe, some brief notes double spaced in Georgia font (16 point) would help when you give the public talk. Georgia font is considered one of the most readable fonts.

Numbering each point on the sheet may help.

If you are speaking in a large group frequently, then obviously your employer or clients must find you capable.

Reaction Score
Two things I completely fail at are anything to do with tech/electronics and always over grilling chicken. I’m an idiot with my phone and setting truck clock twice a year and balancing tv sound system. Fortunately I have two sons that are tech friendly. I won’t even try chicken anymore for fear of undercooking. The wife steps in for that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Two things I completely fail at are anything to do with tech/electronics and always over grilling chicken. I’m an idiot with my phone and setting truck clock twice a year and balancing tv sound system. Fortunately I have two sons that are tech friendly. I won’t even try chicken anymore for fear of undercooking. The wife steps in for that.
Grilling chicken. Two issues with that. If you use large breasts without flattening them a bit, you'll overcook the outside to get the center of the thickest portion to 165. The other problem is 165. FDA is conservative on those numbers. If you cook chicken more slowly, over lower heat, the time factor reduces the temperature you need to reach to kill Salmonella, and your chicken is more moist and tender. Holding 8.5 minutes at 145 achieves the same.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
speechifying with a purpose:
1. tell 'em what ur going to say.
2. say it.
3. tell 'em what u've just said.

speechifying with a purpose.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i don't think that the packaged cheese people understand that folks, all folks, suck worse than they should at opening them up. 'tear on this line.'
yeah, sure. and then what? pray? and what aboot those with short fingernails?

Reaction Score
Finishing watching a series, for example I was binge watching Cobra Kai but then I got side tracked with things, now I have stopped watching the episodes.

Reaction Score
Grilling chicken. Two issues with that. If you use large breasts without flattening them a bit, you'll overcook the outside to get the center of the thickest portion to 165. The other problem is 165. FDA is conservative on those numbers. If you cook chicken more slowly, over lower heat, the time factor reduces the temperature you need to reach to kill Salmonella, and your chicken is more moist and tender. Holding 8.5 minutes at 145 achieves the same.

[
not touching that

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
i don't think that the packaged cheese people understand that folks, all folks, suck worse than they should at opening them up. 'tear on this line.'
They now sell "kitchen scissors" which you can use for that or trimming skin off chickens etc. Modern Marvels!

Reaction Score
I hear you on this.

I make a small cut with a scissors on the line. And then, it is open.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'folks, all folks, of any age...'
not too long ago, a grammar school rugrat relation was visiting. she sez 'i want some cheese.' ok, i check out the fridge, and say 'provolone? munster? we got those.'
'no, i want some normal cheese, not those weird things that you eat.'
looking again, i see an unopened package of swiss slices. 'normal? is the cheese with the holes normal?'
'yes!' so i tossed it to her.
'it's not opened.'
'open it urself, figger it out.' after a few minutes, and her successful tearing on the line, still no luck as it was one of those with the perforated seal locks. she couldn't get past that obstacle, gets mad, tosses back at me, and sez 'u open it up. ur the adult here, not me. it's ur job...'

Reaction Score
They now sell "kitchen scissors" which you can use for that or trimming skin off chickens etc. Modern Marvels!
Actually, I own the Kai Shears shown in the website picture below.

They do cut chicken skins, but more than that, if you have a chicken breast or any cut of meat, it will easily cut it into small pieces so you can cook a soup with those bite size pieces in the soup. Or, to cut it into small pieces for a chicken/steak salad.

My shoulder ortho's assistant recommended this to me to make it easier for me to cut meat or chicken of turkey, since knife and fork cutting of these items aggravated my shoulder.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Blocking ppl on The Boneyard

Apologies if this is a duplicate post. I’ve got about half of the board blocked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom