OT: - Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: Things You Suck At Worse Than You Should

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can’t even believe how bad I am at managing passwords.

I've had to change my Apple ID so many times it is always an adventure to load an app.
Lastpass. Can't live without it anymore.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have a new thing I remembered that I suck at, remembering what I need. Doesn't matter if it is the grocery story, Target, Amazon. I'll think of some stuff I need and by the time I order it or get to the store (or my wife does and says "text me what you need") I'll forget. Moments ago I was staring at the Amazon screen and drawing a complete blank on what I wanted to order this morning.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have a new thing I remembered that I suck at, remembering what I need. Doesn't matter if it is the grocery story, Target, Amazon. I'll think of some stuff I need and by the time I order it or get to the store (or my wife does and says "text me what you need") I'll forget. Moments ago I was staring at the Amazon screen and drawing a complete blank on what I wanted to order this morning.
Scotch probably kills more brain cells than beer :p

Reaction Score
It can be done with frequent play
I retired at 64 and was 32 handicap playing 6-7 , 9 hole rounds a year.
Since I was a workaholic predictions of my retirement were grim
I threw myself into golf ,getting an annual pass, taking some lessons, and finding a great group of guys. I got it down to a legit 12-13 official USGA handicap. Since everyone sandbagged we were required to report every score. I liked to play at around 14 sneak in a couple of bad rounds or forget to report an 83 and get to a 15.
There was a guy in our group Mr Golf who was a 7-8. I drew him in the club match play tournament.
He somehow had a 13 handicap.
I’m getting 1 stroke on the most difficult hole a 444 par 4. Really a par 5 for me. His drives are typically 20-30 yards beyond me.
I lost 4-3 and he went on to win the tournament.
Get a good set of Clubs and adjust the driver to correct a slice slicing is death . I learned to hit a slight draw which gives you a little extra roll.
Work on solid contact , hitting it straight , off the deck, short iron, and chipping and putting and loss of distance is somewhat negated.
All. can be improved with practice as opposed to club head speed. Pay close attention to your backswing. Speeding it up is death to average golfers
I was 230-250 off the tee at 70 that’s achievable with good contact even with lower club speeds.
I had access to a good driving range and seldom practiced tee shots. Confidence with a 3-5 off the deck for short hitters is a must as your invariably faced with many of them. On a par 5 select the club that gets you into the distance of your best club than blasting it away. I never chipped well but I was a darn go short iron PW hitter.
Trying to get extra distance is non productive.
Do to some issues I haven’t played but your post has given me the desire to
I’m almost 80 so I have no qualms about using a forward tee.
Thanks for that encouragement! Much appreciated!

Reaction Score
Dentist or Lawyer?

You are one or the other (or maybe some kind of Dr.)

But yeah, I taught for years, and it was amazing the 5,000 dollar and up!!!!! guitars my students who were dentists or lawyers walked in with and couldnt play. I was teaching with a home made partscaster that probably cost me 550 all in. And then the next week they brought another to show me! And that's fine, its a hobby, I own expensive cooking crap and Im not a chef (it's my hobby).

Just relating an uncanny life experience.

I bet one of those is a Gibson Les Paul. Probably an R9. You definitely have a Paul Reed Smith too. And a Martin or Taylor (or both) acoustic. amirite?
Lots of people collect guitars and display them. I remember Yankee pitcher David Wells had a massive collection with display cases but couldn’t play. A custom guitar besides being a great instrument Is like a piece of art.

Reaction Score
Took me three tries to get it right. And that third try was simply 'go on vacation to somewhere you've never been and get married there. Hire a witness."

Was talking to our neighbor last night who's daughter is getting married end of June. The groom's family, who is very well off, hired a wedding planner. That the planner won't talk to my neighbor about any details - even though they chipped in half of the expected $100K bill. Which is 4x the cost of my three weddings combined, lol.

When we did coffee catering at weddings we used to charge similar to the flower bill, usually $500-$700. So my jaw dropped when she mentioned her daughter is getting $30,000 of flowers.
Three times? You must be a glutton for punishment! JK....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wrapping presents.

Thanks for revising this thread. I was going to start a new similar thread, but I think I can just put a different twist on this one.

"Things you made it further along in life without doing than you should have made it throughout life without doing".

To wit. Over 50 years old and this spring planted a tree for the first time in my life.

They weren't sapplings and they weren't full mature trees. A couple of crape myrtles and a maple tree. Bought them at a nursery and I would guess they are 2-3 years old. So, they obviously made it from seed, up through the dirt and lived in captivity fine. Now it became my job to dig a hole, plant, and water.

My maple tree was about 12'-14' when I bought it and probably about 2" in diameter in the trunk. I dug the hole deep, covered it up and have diligently watered it every day. After a few days I noticed some of the leaves on smaller branches were just dying out. So, I had to learn or figure out how to trim a tree. Never really did that either. At least not for the purpose of pruning some to save the whole. Just did normal pruning like after a storm or an obvious defect.

Google is fine and all but I've been out there more than once with a hose in one hand, beer in the other trying to figure out how much water it needs. I've been on the ladder looking around like I have a clue which smaller branches and twigs I should prune to help the rest of the tree grow.

One crape myrtle seems to be growing best. It's about ready to bloom and it is growing relatively straight up, the other one is growing but growing more like pubic hair or ingrown hairs. Everything is curving and growing towards the middle.
Maybe if I refer to it as a crepe myrtle instead of crape myrtle it'll grow better.

So there it is. Took more than 50 years to actually plant a tree and then realized I have no inherent knowledge on how to properly grow a tree.

Reaction Score
Thanks for revising this thread. I was going to start a new similar thread, but I think I can just put a different twist on this one.

"Things you made it further along in life without doing than you should have made it throughout life without doing".

To wit. Over 50 years old and this spring planted a tree for the first time in my life.

They weren't sapplings and they weren't full mature trees. A couple of crape myrtles and a maple tree. Bought them at a nursery and I would guess they are 2-3 years old. So, they obviously made it from seed, up through the dirt and lived in captivity fine. Now it became my job to dig a hole, plant, and water.

My maple tree was about 12'-14' when I bought it and probably about 2" in diameter in the trunk. I dug the hole deep, covered it up and have diligently watered it every day. After a few days I noticed some of the leaves on smaller branches were just dying out. So, I had to learn or figure out how to trim a tree. Never really did that either. At least not for the purpose of pruning some to save the whole. Just did normal pruning like after a storm or an obvious defect.

Google is fine and all but I've been out there more than once with a hose in one hand, beer in the other trying to figure out how much water it needs. I've been on the ladder looking around like I have a clue which smaller branches and twigs I should prune to help the rest of the tree grow.

One crape myrtle seems to be growing best. It's about ready to bloom and it is growing relatively straight up, the other one is growing but growing more like pubic hair or ingrown hairs. Everything is curving and growing towards the middle.
Maybe if I refer to it as a crepe myrtle instead of crape myrtle it'll grow better.

So there it is. Took more than 50 years to actually plant a tree and then realized I have no inherent knowledge on how to properly grow a tree.
Johnny Appleseed just breathed a sigh of relief.

Reaction Score
This is back… I’ll add more patheticness.

1) Grow grass… three years and $100s later at my house and next to nothing.
2) Make rice consistently. For years I ruined it. Found a “method” online and became the rice master for two weeks. Tried to replicate said “method” and it’s back to trash.

Reaction Score

Hire a tree service to advise you and do the trimming and pruning for you. They can get up on a ladder or on a bucket as the need may dictate.

They can identify any issues they need to be addressed regarding proper care since they have to have a licensed arborist on board, at least that is the case for CT.

I have used one since I bought my house in 2005 and they were the same tree service used by the former owner.

They can set up a schedule to spray your bushes to ward off pests. Also, they can recommend a deep root fertilization if the type of trees on your property warrant it.

And, with myself, I have them do an annual tic spraying.

Reaction Score
Hire a tree service to advise you and do the trimming and pruning for you. They can get up on a ladder or on a bucket as the need may dictate.

They can identify any issues they need to be addressed regarding proper care since they have to have a licensed arborist on board, at least that is the case for CT.

I have used one since I bought my house in 2005 and they were the same tree service used by the former owner.

They can set up a schedule to spray your bushes to ward off pests. Also, they can recommend a deep root fertilization if the type of trees on your property warrant it.

We have tulip tree in the front yard. Got whacked pretty bad by that Halloween snowstorm in 2011. Had some guys that trimmed it a little back then. Called them again last year, and they wanted $900 to do a little trimming!

Reaction Score
PowerPoint. Made it through years and years of middle management jobs that "required" it...but beyond changing a date on someone else's, never had to actually do it.
Need a masters for that.

Reaction Score

Going to circle back on this because there's definitely some good ones here for me but one for now. This doesn't perfectly fit the question, but I've never seen Lord of the Rings. Right up my alley in terms of genre. Seen GOT probably 8 times through and read the books, read all the fantasy Brandon Sanderson books.

At this point I think I've just waited too long and can't watch them ever

Reaction Score
This is back… I’ll add more patheticness.

2) Make rice consistently. For years I ruined it. Found a “method” online and became the rice master for two weeks. Tried to replicate said “method” and it’s back to trash.
The type of rice matters. Not just color, but also grain length. Was it the same rice you used the last time?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This tree will die a slow, lonely, agonizing death before I pay a penny to a tree service.

Reaction Score
We have tulip tree in the front yard. Got whacked pretty bad by that Halloween snowstorm in 2011. Had some guys that trimmed it a little back then. Called them again last year, and they wanted $900 to do a little trimming!
My tree service charges a lot less than that.

Last time, they got on a bucket and shaped the Magnolia tree and removed dead branches on the higher parts of the tree and suckers or offshoots from the trunk, it was like $250. Since they have a minimum of around $350, they reduced a rhododendron on one side of the property, and shaped and cut back some Mugo pines, and other bushes.

All that totaled around $850, but not for the tree alone.

Best wishes to anyone who wants to get on a ladder and test their agility and coordination, and maneuverability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom