• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought the offensive design was a bigger issue. The dependency on called rollouts was scary. Neither QB looked accurate doing it, and both were much better when stationary. I assume he didn't think the O-line wouldn't be able to stop their pass rush, but they held their own, for the most part.
It felt like Sammis was actively trying not to look like your typical run, run, pass offensive line coach turned OC. We’ll see how it looks against lesser opponents, but it felt like he was getting way too cute for the personnel he has to work with.

I’m hoping the rollout accuracy issue was first game jitters and we didn’t build a playbook around something our guys can’t do.

Reaction Score
I thought the offensive design was a bigger issue. The dependency on called rollouts was scary. Neither QB looked accurate doing it, and both were much better when stationary. I assume he didn't think the O-line wouldn't be able to stop their pass rush, but they held their own, for the most part.

Being unable or unwilling to modify game plans seems to be a constant theme for our team over too many years.

Reaction Score
I was happy to see more quick hitters from the running game. They hardly ran the slow developing stuff we’re used to seeing. Thinking maybe the rollout were called to accomplish the same thing. Get out of the pocket and deliver quickly. A few got blown up by poor blocking, Nick may have held on to the ball a little longer than he should.
I think the thought process was sound, but the execution wasn’t there.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I want Welliver at the beginning of the year but they started Evers and now let's see how he does after another game. If he bombs again then we can have this discussion next week

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Maryland has some beasts on defense. I’m not out on Evers but we need to give Cole at least a series vs Merrimack

Reaction Score
It’s not that I wanted to see him leave but rather why bring in and pay the same skill set QB that you’ve had rostered already and it was obvious, Roberson was not the long term solution or gap closer in regards to overall talent. I agree Evers deserves the benefit of the doubt with his actual experience, but I think the only true QB difference maker on the roster is potentially Welliver. I’m rooting for em all though.
In an NIL world there is no long term solution, I do think Roberson made strides last year and looked a bit faster as the season went along as he was trusting his legs a bit more, a full year as a starter and a year removed from the ACL injury, I think it would've helped a great deal but he moved on.

The most hopeful and ideal scenario this year is that Evers is good enough to be poached in the portal which means we have a winning season, then you go to Welliver as our qb, and hopefully have more NIL money by then.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You can’t bench Evers after one game, that his team was badly outmatched in, playing on the road. If he puts up the same performance this week, that’s when the conversation can start. But this thread is super premature and emotional.

Reaction Score
If Welliver gets any time at QB I would love us to run some snaps under center with play action and stop trying to pretend we are running read option with a QB that never keeps the ball like we have done the last 2 years. We have good RBs and a decent line.

Reaction Score
If Welliver gets any time at QB I would love us to run some snaps under center with play action and stop trying to pretend we are running read option with a QB that never keeps the ball like we have done the last 2 years. We have good RBs and a decent line.
Every good run of offense we’ve had in the last 5 years seemingly came out of the shotgun.

Reaction Score
I was happy to see more quick hitters from the running game. They hardly ran the slow developing stuff we’re used to seeing. Thinking maybe the rollout were called to accomplish the same thing. Get out of the pocket and deliver quickly. A few got blown up by poor blocking, Nick may have held on to the ball a little longer than he should.
I think the thought process was sound, but the execution wasn’t there.
Part of the soundness of your thought process is matching the execution to the personnel.

Reaction Score
Evers. Everyone looked pretty bad last week, but a lot of it is correct able.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
We have a decent pass blocking line, run blocking is another story

Reaction Score
Evers is a game time decision.

With him not really practicing this week, this should go great if he plays.

Reaction Score
It felt like Sammis was actively trying not to look like your typical run, run, pass offensive line coach turned OC. We’ll see how it looks against lesser opponents, but it felt like he was getting way too cute for the personnel he has to work with.

I’m hoping the rollout accuracy issue was first game jitters and we didn’t build a playbook around something our guys can’t do.
This. I think running at them might have worked. We'll never know.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why do people keep saying Welliver as if he isn't 4th on the depth chart? Throw McDonald out there if you're already bailing on Evers.

Reaction Score
Why do people keep saying Welliver as if he isn't 4th on the depth chart? Throw McDonald out there if you're already bailing on Evers.
Because some folks said he was the best arm at the open practice. Everybody wants the same thing… wins.

Reaction Score
I believe McDonald threw 3 interceptions in scrimmage. That was in half a game or less that he played in. I was hoping he would do so much better when he had an opportunity.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I’ll say this, I’m no longer a coach but in my earlier days I may have dabbled. From what I’ve seen in person, welliver has the best arm talent on the team. Followed by Evers then JF then McDs. Evers is more consistent than JF but not as refined. JF has the ability to make a better/ more difficult pass but he is just to inconsistent in his throws to be put ahead Evers. Not to mention the fact that Evers has potentially 3 more years to play and JF is riding of into the sunset. Welliver I think has the better arm but he is also brand new to this level and the system so that is more than likely the reason for his “position” on the depth chart. McDs has all the draw backs listed above rolled into one.

Reaction Score
What I saw in College Park was that Evers wasn’t ready mentally yet. Was totally locked on his primary receiver time after time after time. JF very well may not have anywhere near the physical talent, but he was mentally much ore ready to go through the options. We’ll see how quickly Evers can be ready mentally if he’s able to play physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom