• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dan Orlovsky's first year stats: 47.6 completion %, 9 TDs, 11 INTs. Don't expect a first year QB to put up good stats as it is a learning process.

I thought Joe Fagnano gave UConn the best chance to win today, although remote. I do think Evers has more upside and should have played some today and given the opportunity to win the starter role in the Merrimack game.
he's like 22 years old and its his 3rd college season...

The only reason everyone on here saying Evers has more upside is cuz of his high school rating. Bounced to 3 schools in 3 years, and his first game action the coaching staff literally was terrified to let him sit in the pocket and throw - everything was sprint outs, half field reads, etc.

Don't know the answer but if not for NIL $$ to bring him here and some sunk cost fallacy stuff, based on all the reports I've heard he wasn't blowing the world away in camp compared to some of the other guys... just sayin

Reaction Score
he's like 22 years old and its his 3rd college season...

The only reason everyone on here saying Evers has more upside is cuz of his high school rating. Bounced to 3 schools in 3 years, and his first game action the coaching staff literally was terrified to let him sit in the pocket and throw - everything was sprint outs, half field reads, etc.

Don't know the answer but if not for NIL $$ to bring him here and some sunk cost fallacy stuff, based on all the reports I've heard he wasn't blowing the world away in camp compared to some of the other guys... just sayin
No, not his high school rating. The fact that two programs way out of our league recruited him and used a schollie on him. That’s still not like seeing production on the field, but to take an example Danny Hurley offering a player a scholarship is worth more in terms of predictive value than his high school recruiting ranking.

Reaction Score
No, not his high school rating. The fact that two programs way out of our league recruited him and used a schollie on him. That’s still not like seeing production on the field, but to take an example Danny Hurley offering a player a scholarship is worth more in terms of predictive value than his high school recruiting ranking.
UConn Football aint UConn Basketball. Mora Aint Hurley.

Those schools gave him a schollie - and let him walk away without ever sniffing the field.

And the last decade of putridity from UConn football does not deserve the benefit of the doubt of predicting future recruiting success.

Again, I'm not going overboard. But I've watched alot of football and that was one of the least confident QB performances I've seen. Just way over his head, clearly being playcall managed, even his running was very Meh - he left a bunch of yards on the field. Some of those throws were YIKES.

Hope he turns it around but occams razor here is we took a flyer on a high rated recruit to make a splash, threw him a bunch of NIL money which functionally handcuffed us to start him no matter what, got him in camp and wasn't super impressive... then that game. Not an auspicious start.

Reaction Score

Those schools gave him a schollie - and let him walk away without ever sniffing the field.

And the last decade of putridity from UConn football does not deserve the benefit of the doubt of predicting future recruiting success.

Again, I'm not going overboard. But I've watched alot of football and that was one of the least confident QB performances I've seen. Just way over his head, clearly being playcall managed, even his running was very Meh - he left a bunch of yards on the field. Some of those throws were YIKES.

Hope he turns it around but occams razor here is we took a flyer on a high rated recruit to make a splash, threw him a bunch of NIL money which functionally handcuffed us to start him no matter what, got him in camp and wasn't super impressive... then that game. Not an auspicious start.
I am not any happier with the performance Saturday than you are, nor do I disagree that UConn football deserves little benefit of the doubt.

Only your statement that having gotten scholarships at big time schools isn’t a more meaningful predictive tool than a high school ranking.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What I saw in College Park was that Evers wasn’t ready mentally yet. Was totally locked on his primary receiver time after time after time. JF very well may not have anywhere near the physical talent, but he was mentally much ore ready to go through the options. We’ll see how quickly Evers can be ready mentally if he’s able to play physically.
What’s concerning is that I believe we had heard his issue at Wisconsin was grasping the mental part of the game. It doesn’t help he is on his third system in 3 years..but hopefully some stability and reps helps him with the mental part of the game.

Reaction Score

Let’s not act like Hurley was always Hurley when it came to this board. People wanted to run him out of town.

Reaction Score
That was Evers first college game ever. I think he needs a few more games under his belt.
I agree. Frankly, he threw some nice passes. But I don't think he's good enough to lock in on starting and playing the entire game.

I would love to see some rotation at that position. I just don't want to find out that we have Brock Purdy :) sitting on the bench somewhere and never got a chance to throw a ball this year.

We certainly don't have a quarterback that's so good that he can't come out of the game for a bit.

Reaction Score
I think this is right. He looked like he had tools but needs development. Fagnano on the other hand is a steady hand who can come in and hold the fort if the starter isn’t available. He could get you through a half or even a game if need be but I wouldn’t want to rely on him for a full season unless I had to.

I’m hoping Evers plays better going forward. Our schedule has 2 difficult games in the first 3 which is difficult. But with luck he plays well against Merrimack then has a solid game on the road at Duke. After that the schedule is more manageable in that most teams are our peers, not a step up. Not to say they are guaranteed wins, just that they shouldn’t be sure losses.

Reaction Score
Skyler Bell came to UConn to put up big numbers and get drafted. It gives at least a bit of hope that he played with Evers and was confident enough in the kid to recruit him here to be the one that threw up the big numbers to him. The kid is literally betting his future that Evers will be good, so unless Bell is crazy, Evers has to at least be pretty decent.

Reaction Score
Skyler Bell came to UConn to put up big numbers and get drafted. It gives at least a bit of hope that he played with Evers and was confident enough in the kid to recruit him here to be the one that threw up the big numbers to him. The kid is literally betting his future that Evers will be good, so unless Bell is crazy, Evers has to at least be pretty decent.

Bell didn’t start putting up those numbers until after Fagnano came in so…

Reaction Score

But he was offered scholarships based on high school ratings.

We offered him because two schools before us offered him scholarships based on high school stuff.

The rub on him is that he doesn’t learn fast and he doesn’t appear to have developed at all since high school.

Also he’s 22?

When it comes to UConn, I don’t give a crap about physical tools at QB. There are so many good college level QBs with rag arms and no speed who are good because they can actually read a defense and go through a progression. The game is slower for them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let’s not act like Hurley was always Hurley when it came to this board. People wanted to run him out of town.
I only remember that one, dude who wanted to fire him at halftime of the Iona game.

Reaction Score
But he was offered scholarships based on high school ratings.
No. He was offered a scholarship based on what the coaching staff that he could be when they get on campus. Staffs use services to help them locate and identify candidates, but no competent coach actually makes offers based on what recruiters think of a high school player. If they placed that much value on what the individual at the rating service things, they'd hire him.

Reaction Score
No. He was offered a scholarship based on what the coaching staff that he could be when they get on campus. Staffs use services to help them locate and identify candidates, but no competent coach actually makes offers based on what recruiters think of a high school player. If they placed that much value on what the individual at the rating service things, they'd hire him.

Look. He’s one of those kids who peaked as a player in HS. His future potential was based on his physical abilities and HS performances.

So it was a miss. Oklahoma missed, Wisconsin said why not. And then we said sure here’s a check.

Hope I am wrong. But Cody Endres and Zach Frazer looked more ready than this guy after standing on the sidelines for 2-3 seasons.

Reaction Score
Look. He’s one of those kids who peaked as a player in HS. His future potential was based on his physical abilities and HS performances.

So it was a miss. Oklahoma missed, Wisconsin said why not. And then we said sure here’s a check.

Hope I am wrong. But Cody Endres and Zach Frazer looked more ready than this guy after standing on the sidelines for 2-3 seasons.
considering he's only two years out of high school i doubt he peaked. The recruiting services got it wrong or he got buried on a depth chart. This caterwauling is pointless.

Reaction Score
I only remember that one, dude who wanted to fire him at halftime of the Iona game.

You seem to have forgotten about the board meltdown post New Mexico State game or the meltdown during the 5 game slump in January 2023. Hurley served a lot of crow to the Boneyard nutjobs, pretty much half the people who post.

There are still some who claim they were not wrong about Hurley and Murray is the reason for our success. Once a nutjob always a nutjob.

BTW play the QB who gives us our best chance of winning on Saturday, Joe Fagnano.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Steve Angeli - Notre Dame should he enter the portal, I’m assuming after spring practice, if it becomes apparent Carr or some other QB beat him out heading into Fall. He’s from NJ, 3 year developed guy and NIL ( based on now) would be fairly cheap. He proved he can play in a bowl game ( albeit Oregon St was w/out 4-5 starters on defense). More then serviceable, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s ND’s starting QB next Fall.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How many wanted him fired after the 1st rd exit against New Mexico? Plenty were calling for him to be fired
You seem to have forgotten about the board meltdown post New Mexico State game or the meltdown during the 5 game slump in January 2023. Hurley served a lot of crow to the Boneyard nutjobs, pretty much half the people who post.

There are still some who claim they were not wrong about Hurley and Murray is the reason for our success. Once a nutjob always a nutjob.

BTW play the QB who gives us our best chance of winning on Saturday, Joe Fagnano.
I have forgotten it. But I really don't pay much attention to post game meltdowns.

By the way, I'm not sure about Fagnano. He looked fair to middling, at best, against a Maryland team that had taken its foot off the gas. If Evers is healthy, you have to give him another shot.

Reaction Score
I have forgotten it. But I really don't pay much attention to post game meltdowns.

By the way, I'm not sure about Fagnano. He looked fair to middling, at best, against a Maryland team that had taken its foot off the gas. If Evers is healthy, you have to give him another shot.
I think it has to be Evers as well, health permitting. He needs reps plain and simple. Now if he sharts the bed against the football powerhouse of Merrimack for 2+ quarters, then a move should be made to Fagnano.

Reaction Score
I think it has to be Evers as well, health permitting. He needs reps plain and simple. Now if he sharts the bed against the football powerhouse of Merrimack for 2+ quarters, then a move should be made to Fagnano.
I’m not disagreeing and Evers does deserve some game experience, however, if it’s apparent experience has little to do with talent, and Fagnano isn’t the future….either you won’t know what Welliver can do or that QB is not on their roster.

None of that will aid in getting an invite or adding leverage of their own when building football up to a respectable level. Find a QB!

Reaction Score
Both QBs missed badly on throws to open receivers against Maryland. Evers was wild high and Fagano was way too off on short throws. It should not be this hard people. I hope we don't get too stubborn on the coaching staff. Since the Big 12 is out there is no reason to be tentative. UConn needs to win right now in the biggest way possible and create some hope and enthusiasm in this program.

Reaction Score
I’m not disagreeing and Evers does deserve some game experience, however, if it’s apparent experience has little to do with talent, and Fagnano isn’t the future….either you won’t know what Welliver can do or that QB is not on their roster.

None of that will aid in getting an invite or adding leverage of their own when building football up to a respectable level. Find a QB!
I see the world is informed and dictated by 40 minutes of football played against a team we are overpowered by.

There must be a sacred heart fan out there that will judge their basketball team based on their game again uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom