• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought Fagnano would be the QB yesterday after last weeks performance and because Mora said that Evers wasn't 100% healthy to start the week. It didn't work out that way.

Although it really shouldn't need to be said, I will remind everyone that we haven't had an apples to apples comparison. Evers has had two games against FBS competition. In the first game, we were absolutely destroyed. In the second, we lost by less than a touchdown and were leading in the third quarter. Fagnano blew out a midling FCS opponent. If anyone thinks he would've hung 60 points on Duke yesterday, they are being wildly optimistic.

To be honest, I would have liked to see what Fagnano would have done against Duke. I'm not sure it wouldn't have been enough for the win, but we honestly don't know. I don't know who is the better quarterback. Next week assuming that Evers starts again, we will have another data point. But here's the thing, Mora and the staff are looking at more than just three games. At this point, I'm not ready to assume that we are right and they are wrong.
When you say they are “looking at more than 3 games.” They had … PRACTICE … to look at before the season started as our QBs played in scrimmages Vs our 1.2nd team D.

I think back to Allen Iverson… “This is practice man, practice!” LOL

Evers may have looked good against our DBs but on the road in a “real game” it was most certainly subpar. Best part of his game was handing the ball off to Cam Edwards, and he did have a couple nice scants up the field - one nice rolll out to Edward - looked like wounded duck but got there.

But Fagnano can also hand the ball off.

And not throw INTs at key moments. And complete more passes.

This debate is over because Mora seems locked in to Evers - this is now an EGO thing and foe better or worse, Evers is our starter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This debate is over because Mora seems locked in to Evers - this is now an EGO thing and foe better or worse, Evers is our starter.
Last year when Fagnano was named starter, everyone was saying he didn't earn it. That the coach made the decision for other reasons. Now Evers is the starter and folks are saying the same thing. Love for the back-up starter on the Yard is a real thing.

Reaction Score
Evers 1st half vs Evers second half vs Duke

improvement? Good learning curve? Moving in the right direction?

I only read the chat, didn’t read very positively.

Reaction Score
So far we've seen the fan base come up with the following scenarios:

Preseason:
* Fagnano was only added as nepotism to the former OC and can not take another meaningful snap at QB. It's clear that he was far worse than Roberson, but they ran Roberson out of town to keep him

Maryland routs UConn:
* Evers is trash, he must only be starting due to the NIL dollars. Fagnano showed he was clearly better in the second half (against the backups)

UConn routs Merrimack:
* Fagnano has to be the starter, he might be the best QB UConn has had in a decade

UConn loses by 5 to Duke:
* Evers starting is clearly an Ego play by Mora, he single handedly cost UConn the game.

---

Mora, Charlton (last year) & now Sammis are basing these decisions on what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. Ego doesn't do you a lot of good if you're unemployed.

Evers has had two tough assignments. Fagnano has looked good against lesser competition. The pick and the fumble were very, very tough things for the team to recover from, but Evers threat as a runner on Zone Read, Option, and that RPO pass to Edwards were keys in helping to break free the running game.

Ultimately I'm not qualified to know who the better player is, but I'm willing to trust the coach, who knows if his ego forces an unqualified starter, that, that would do more to lose the team (and see the WR run for portal before game 4), than having to acknowledge an error on NIL decisions. Going into this game, regardless of the starter many were questioning if UConn could even cover a 16.5 point spread, let alone hold a lead in the fourth quarter, while hanging in the game... does Edwards find the same running room if Fagnano is the guy handing off on Zone read plays? Does Fagnano bust a 23 yarder on the option to put something else to worry about into the defenses collective brains? Perhaps & perhaps Fagnano is able to connect on the pass or avoid the pick in the 4th quarter... but what I do know is a game that people thought might result in another ugly loss was extremely competitive and put us (as a fan base) in a position to be irritated about officials or to point to a single play or two as the reason for a loss; and, while not a reason to celebrate, it's certainly ahead of expectations.

In my opinion, really cost the team the game was the long pass plays where the DB got burned by a couple of steps, one went for a score, the other ended up giving Duke a first down on the initial drive leading to their score.

Reaction Score
Yes, Evers made mistakes vs. Duke, but he clearly a better runner than JF, has a stronger arm, and is getting better. What we have is a developing quarterback with a bigger upside that still gives us as good a chance to win now as the older guy. JF starting last night does not increase our chances to win that game. That’s why we stay with Evers. And he poops the bed/gets hurt again, we have a competent QB2 to step in.

Also, Evers would have lit up Merrimack too. Those who doubt that are blind.

Reaction Score
Evers is improving. I personally would have given Fagnano the start yesterday and reassess after about a quarter but that ship has sailed. Evers in the second half was starting to read a bit better. He needed more speed on the pass that got picked off but it was a good look.

They clearly have way more offensive sets that use Evers and Edwards (probably Rosa too when he comes back) more dynamically than if Fagnano is under center. Given how they’ve structured the offense, Evers needs to start against FAU and Buffalo, probably Temple too. If things aren’t progressing by then, make the switch during the bye week, but I feel much better about Evers today than after MD.

Reaction Score
Evers will work the kinks out and learn from his mistakes. If he doesn't, he will be replaced. It will be interesting to read this board at mid-season and see what has developed. I think we are headed in the right direction and I'm really looking forward to the next 6 games.

Reaction Score
Well I was shocked. I'm still shocked. This was a winnable game stolen from the team by a ridiculous personnel decision. They even had a chance to correct it at halftime. I am confused about the process that led to this but it is a flawed process at best.
Came to explain a similar sentiment. That was a missed opportunity. They are now hell bent on playing this kid that even when his passes are complete, they are off the mark and the receivers have to adjust so often to the pass they are left in position for YACs. After 2 games its plain to see this offense is designed with YACs in mind. The TE had to contort himself on the TD pass he got hurt. I can't see how they don't lose the locker room.

Reaction Score
I thought Fagnano would be the QB yesterday after last weeks performance and because Mora said that Evers wasn't 100% healthy to start the week. It didn't work out that way.

Although it really shouldn't need to be said, I will remind everyone that we haven't had an apples to apples comparison. Evers has had two games against FBS competition. In the first game, we were absolutely destroyed. In the second, we lost by less than a touchdown and were leading in the third quarter. Fagnano blew out a midling FCS opponent. If anyone thinks he would've hung 60 points on Duke yesterday, they are being wildly optimistic.

To be honest, I would have liked to see what Fagnano would have done against Duke. I'm not sure it wouldn't have been enough for the win, but we honestly don't know. I don't know who is the better quarterback. Next week assuming that Evers starts again, we will have another data point. But here's the thing, Mora and the staff are looking at more than just three games. At this point, I'm not ready to assume that we are right and they are wrong.
Well would have been cool to see Faganano get a chance. Evers had what yesterday 117 yards passing? In those 2 FBS games he has about 200 yards passing. On what planet is that acceptable output?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well would have been cool to see Faganano get a chance. Evers had what yesterday 117 yards passing? In those 2 FBS games he has about 200 yards passing. On what planet is that acceptable output?
I agree I would've liked to seen Fagnano get the start. I think if the game was out of hand, either for or against us, he gets a shot. It wouldn't have surprised me to see him midway through the third-quarter if our offense continued to sputter... but it didn't. We put together one hell of a rally and took the lead. Sure, we lost it in the fourth, but we were always within one score. Under those circumstances, you don't take your starter out to give another guy a shot.

The quarterback issue isn't decided in my worldview. Evers performance yesterday didn't lock down the job for him, but also didn't disqualify him. Next week will tell us a lot and allow fans to make more of an apples to apples comparison.

Reaction Score
I agree I would've liked to seen Fagnano get the start. I think if the game was out of hand, either for or against us, he gets a shot. It wouldn't have surprised me to see him midway through the third-quarter if our offense continued to sputter... but it didn't. We put together one hell of a rally and took the lead. Sure, we lost it in the fourth, but we were always within one score. Under those circumstances, you don't take your starter out to give another guy a shot.

The quarterback issue isn't decided in my worldview. Evers performance yesterday didn't lock down the job for him, but also didn't disqualify him. Next week will tell us a lot and allow fans to make more of an apples to apples comparison.
200 yards passing in 2 games should be unacceptable. If you are still "developing" a guy to hit passes on the line of scrimmage accurately that development should be happening in practice. He gives his wrs no chance for yacs.

Reaction Score
Last year when Fagnano was named starter, everyone was saying he didn't earn it. That the coach made the decision for other reasons. Now Evers is the starter and folks are saying the same thing. Love for the back-up starter on the Yard is a real thing.
well, our back up played an entire game and set new school records. I guess we have a little difference there eh?

Reaction Score
Evers is the right choice. He will shine against the lesser competition we will see over the next few weeks. We struggled for many years because other teams had a huge speed and overall athletic advantage over our players. We will see that same difference with Evers at the helm, except we will be the ones with the advantage. I look forward to it. Sit back and enjoy.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
200 yards passing in 2 games should be unacceptable. If you are still "developing" a guy to hit passes on the line of scrimmage accurately that development should be happening in practice. He gives his wrs no chance for yacs.
Is that still true if you are playing against dramatically better talent? Would those YACs have happened against FBS talent?

(Although you can argue, perhaps we weren't against Duke. For that matter, Maryland isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either.)

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying it's too soon to make a fair and informed comparison as a fan. The coaches have a lot more data to work with.

Reaction Score
Evers is the right choice. He will shine against lesser competition

and if he doesn't we better move to the backup quickly. I could not care less about "developing a QB for next season", we need to win now. In the NIL / transfer portal era everything is on a year to year basis.

Reaction Score
So far we've seen the fan base come up with the following scenarios:

Preseason:
* Fagnano was only added as nepotism to the former OC and can not take another meaningful snap at QB. It's clear that he was far worse than Roberson, but they ran Roberson out of town to keep him

Maryland routs UConn:
* Evers is trash, he must only be starting due to the NIL dollars. Fagnano showed he was clearly better in the second half (against the backups)

UConn routs Merrimack:
* Fagnano has to be the starter, he might be the best QB UConn has had in a decade

UConn loses by 5 to Duke:
* Evers starting is clearly an Ego play by Mora, he single handedly cost UConn the game.
Not enough upvotes for this to be honest. There's always some bizarre logic the boneyard formulates week to week. Stay calm and see what happens.

There are things that do bother me. Evers made some questionable throws including the one that everybody is calling pass interference... which i believe them but there was a wide open man for a first down. Now, that also cant ignore that evers's legs bought a couple of firsts. We know our running core is solid and I am still surprised we aren't running more. Trick plays are mostly a waste of time especially 2 QB sets... I don't know what you're buying out of them.

Reaction Score
Came to explain a similar sentiment. That was a missed opportunity. They are now hell bent on playing this kid that even when his passes are complete, they are off the mark and the receivers have to adjust so often to the pass they are left in position for YACs. After 2 games its plain to see this offense is designed with YACs in mind. The TE had to contort himself on the TD pass he got hurt. I can't see how they don't lose the locker room.
First it was Mora is going to lose the locker room if Welliver doesn't start, now it's he's going to lose the locker room if Fagnano doesn't start. Armchair coaching at it's finest

Reaction Score
First it was Mora is going to lose the locker room if Welliver doesn't start, now it's he's going to lose the locker room if Fagnano doesn't start. Armchair coaching at it's finest
200 yards passing in almost 2 full game sucks. Armchair coaching enough for you?

Reaction Score
Didn't know locker rooms are lost over passing yards. The more you know...
Well you learned something. Your welcome.

That is not the point. The point is that 100 yards a game should really reevaluate what hell you are trying to accomplish. Only at this school is there a constant churn of failed QB experiments. No matter the coach we are constantly struggling to find a QB that can place the ball where a receiver doesn't have to injure themselves trying to haul in a TD catch in the endzone. It is mind numbing how bad our QB situation continues to be.

Reaction Score
Well you learned something. Your welcome.

That is not the point. The point is that 100 yards a game should really reevaluate what hell you are trying to accomplish. Only at this school is there a constant churn of failed QB experiments. No matter the coach we are constantly struggling to find a QB that can place the ball where a receiver doesn't have to injure themselves trying to haul in a TD catch in the endzone. It is mind numbing how bad our QB situation continues to be.
Why don't you learn to wait more than 3 games before we make declarations about coaches losing the team?

Reaction Score
Evers has a high ceiling but he has many skills he needs to improve significantly in order to come close to reaching it like better and quicker decision making, accuracy, footwork, anticipation, timing, field vision, staring down his primary (only, in his case) option. I just hope we win games while he gains the reps and coaching necessary to refine those skills.

Reaction Score
Evers has a high ceiling but he has many skills he needs to improve significantly in order to come close to reaching it like better and quicker decision making, accuracy, footwork, anticipation, timing, field vision, staring down his primary (only, in his case) option. I just hope we win games while he gains the reps and coaching necessary to refine those skills.
I agree 100%. I am not anti Evers. He has lots of potential but just play the QB that gives us the chance to win the game. I thought Joe was that man last night but Evers showed some signs of improvement.

When it comes to coaching - Evers needs to taker time to look for 2nd option. Everybody last night including the non football fan knew that he was looking only to one option on 3rd down - Bell.

Covered or not, Evers threw to him - many times in triple coverage. If we are to convert on key 3rd downs, Evers has to take the time and have discipline to look for that next receiver who is usually open or in “one on one” coverage.

Reaction Score
Seems as though Brad Robbins relationship with Nick Evers is going to be pretty important going forward

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
A couple things jump out at me with Evers. He seems skinny for a guy who spent a couple years in P4 training camps. He looks like he just came out of HS…not out of Wisconsin and Oklahoma. He might be more durable in the running game if he put on some muscle.

He desperately needs reps…his reputation coming in was that the mental part of the game was a struggle for him. We are seeing that. Hopefully reps will help him play more freely and improve his acccuracy.

The jury is still out that he is the future….but hopefully getting reps against upcoming G5 teams will give us a clearer picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom