• Mcdonald

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Welliver

Votes: 53 22.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is great thinking on Mora’s part not naming a QB. Makes it more difficult for Duke to prepare. They play differently.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine that there is some official clinical term for the pathology some here are suffering from and I believe that it is a form of PTSD developed over the results of the past dozen years but I still don't fully get it.

Many if us are manufacturing a problem that may not even exist in order to be able to complain in advance about something that may end up not warranting any complaints.

Let's see what happens, then react.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I imagine that there is some official clinical term for the pathology some here are suffering from and I believe that it is a form of PTSD developed over the results of the past dozen years but I still don't fully get it.

Many if us are manufacturing a problem that may not even exist in order to be able to complain in advance about something that may end up not warranting any complaints.

Welcome to Connecticut...;)

Reaction Score
It is great thinking on Mora’s part not naming a QB. Makes it more difficult for Duke to prepare. They play differently.
That’s a bit much. Playbook doesn’t change between the two.

This is over coaching. If it was so difficult to plan, then there would be QB rotations on every team.

Reaction Score
After all this discussion and the game later today, maybe if Evers ready, start Joe and have Evers come in during the game. Mix it up a little bit.
No.

CL82

Reaction Score

This is over coaching. If it was so difficult to plan, then there would be QB rotations on every team.
Sort of. One's a run first QB, who is reputed to be a solid passer and the other ones a pass first QB who will run every now and again.

Reaction Score
Sort of. One's a run first QB, who is reputed to be a solid passer and the other ones a pass first QB who will run every now and again.
I don’t think Evers is a run first QB. He seems to be overrated as a runner and a bit inaccurate as a passer. If he’s running first, I’m not optimistic.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Joe Fagnano is going to pull his mask off and it will be Steven Krajewski under there. Don't be blinded by the Merrimack game.
Compare JF’s FCS numbers to Steven Krajewski’s. Fagnano put up way better numbers in a much tougher conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t think Evers is a run first QB. He seems to be overrated as a runner and a bit inaccurate as a passer. If he’s running first, I’m not optimistic.
From his UConn bio:

Touted as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the class by Rivals, the No. 7 pocket-passer QB by ESPN, the No. 7 QB by On3 and the No. 8 QB by 247Sports.

So I guess you can make an argument for him as either a dual threat quarterback, or a pocket passer.

[Note that I think Fagnano is starting today and I don't have an issue with that.]

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

The playbook can change. Coaches scrap or add plays from/to the playbook depending on the opponent, and schemes are tweaked to adjust for a specific game matchups. In other words, the playbook is flexible based on expected matchups between your team's personnel and the opponent's.

Reaction Score
From his UConn bio:

Touted as the No. 4 dual-threat quarterback in the class by Rivals, the No. 7 pocket-passer QB by ESPN, the No. 7 QB by On3 and the No. 8 QB by 247Sports.

So I guess you can make an argument for him as either a dual threat quarterback, or a pocket passer.

[Note that I think Fagnano is starting today and I don't have an issue with that.]
You can throw those rankings out the window. If Evers was actually the 7th best pocket passer and 4th best dual threat qb in his class he would never end up at UConn.

Looks like Evers is starting, seems like s huge mistake to me.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I’m shocked. Literally. I hope I feel stupid in about 4 hours.
I hope he proves out, but my guess he's on a short leash. He needs to demonstrate he understands and can effectively execute the playbook, command leadership, or has some remaining injury issues, whatever. I can also appreciate a longer-term rationale for doing this given who's on the bench. We'll find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
Compare JF’s FCS numbers to Steven Krajewski’s. Fagnano put up way better numbers in a much tougher coconference.
I wasn't making a comment on Krajewski specifically, so I apologize to him. I was basically just saying, expect more of the past decade with JF, not some 5 TD phenom all of a sudden.

CL82

Reaction Score
You can throw those rankings out the window. If Evers was actually the 7th best pocket passer and 4th best dual threat qb in his class he would never end up at UConn.

Looks like Evers is starting, seems like s huge mistake to me.
I'm inclined to agree with your second comment. The first is just a snapshot of how his high school career was viewed.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if we start a guy who's 0-1 in a blowout coming off a concussion, over the guy who's 1-0, healthy, just blew out our last opponent and is ranked top 10 in the nation. If your coach starts the first guy and we get behind 3-4 scores that coach loses a ton of credibility. Evers PT is likely to be situational and only if needed, but hopefully not.
Well I was shocked. I'm still shocked. This was a winnable game stolen from the team by a ridiculous personnel decision. They even had a chance to correct it at halftime. I am confused about the process that led to this but it is a flawed process at best.

Reaction Score

Okay I'm reacting. This was coaching malpractice.

Reaction Score
wow, Mora and his approach that a quarterback never has to look over his shoulder. Cost us the game tonight.

first eves should have been intercepted about three times more than he was.

and we got beat by a quarterback that settled into the pocket

CL82

Reaction Score
I thought Fagnano would be the QB yesterday after last weeks performance and because Mora said that Evers wasn't 100% healthy to start the week. It didn't work out that way.

Although it really shouldn't need to be said, I will remind everyone that we haven't had an apples to apples comparison. Evers has had two games against FBS competition. In the first game, we were absolutely destroyed. In the second, we lost by less than a touchdown and were leading in the third quarter. Fagnano blew out a midling FCS opponent. If anyone thinks he would've hung 60 points on Duke yesterday, they are being wildly optimistic.

To be honest, I would have liked to see what Fagnano would have done against Duke. I'm not sure it wouldn't have been enough for the win, but we honestly don't know. I don't know who is the better quarterback. Next week assuming that Evers starts again, we will have another data point. But here's the thing, Mora and the staff are looking at more than just three games. At this point, I'm not ready to assume that we are right and they are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom